F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
VERY GOOD EARLY MORNING ALL [Re: KC]
      #31655 - Sat Sep 25 2004 07:52 AM

Haven't had time to read thru everyone's posts...

Dog needs a walk & I have to go into "work" early to open a new headquarters in a few, but wanted to thank everyone for their great insights, info & posts...

Don't forget to vote...

http://jacksonville.com/

Should be back here late morning...for the duration...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent.... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31656 - Sat Sep 25 2004 07:59 AM

If you're parents live in a condo, remember this: the winds are going to be higher the further up you go...so if they are on a higher level, they need to be moved down. I would listen to your County EOC Management, but if it were me, I'd go get them.
If it feels right in your head, your heart and your gut, just do it. Works for me everytime.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: VERY GOOD EARLY MORNING ALL [Re: LI Phil]
      #31657 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:02 AM

Well, I've got to get the football players fed, one's grumpy and the other one's sleepy. I am looking forward to the games on one hand because they will distract me for a while, but on the other hand, I'm afraid to come home and find out the storm's on the back porch.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
New Info. [Re: LI Phil]
      #31658 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:05 AM

1- Local tv meteorologist has been saying it COULD become a cat. 4. before landfall. Local EOC contacted NHC and complained that tv station was creating a panic in the WPB area. Local station just went on the air live with the NHC, and NHC backed the station saying it is should be a cat. 3 and you should always plan for 1 cat higher.

2 - This just in from Thomas:
CAT 2 Jeanne continues to slowly strengthen.. Her track is still due west at an increased forward speed of 15 mph. Her eye wall is still large at approximately 40 miles but I expect it to begin decreasing in size. Also some dry air entrainment is occurring on her left side.

The NHC/TPC 5:00 am EDT advisory on soon to be CAT 3 Jeanne has shifted the track to the left, more in line with the track I first forecasted quite a few days ago. I expect more track shifting to the left to occur as Jeanne heads for a landfall somewhere between Palm beach and Fort Pierce on Sunday morning. It's also possible that my Tarpon Springs to Bayport exit corridor into the Gulf Of Mexico may have to be shifted further south down the west coast of Florida.

Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella
Retired Space & Atmospheric Weather Forecaster
Plant City, FL

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

AmoryBL
Unregistered

Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent.... [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31659 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:06 AM

Polk county shelters will be opening up at noon today. There are others but I know that Jenkins HS, Bartow HS, and Lake REgion HS will be used.

The Dave Cave

Reged: Wed
Loc: East Orlando, FL
Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent.... [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31660 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:11 AM

clhooper1;

Don't take the chance. Go get the parents. They will be more comfortable in a place with an air conditioner and generator anyway. 75-90MPH winds may not seem so bad but if Jeanne "blooms" to a Cat 4, that may be somewhat conservative. You also have gusts to worry about...

--------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson

Ricreig
User

Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent.... [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #31661 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:13 AM

Quote:

I just saw channel 9 news in Orlando for the traffic report again. There is nobody on the roads! I4 is clear, the Beeline is clear, I95 is clear. What is going on? Hurricane compacency it has got to be!

I just came to the conclusion that except maybe for those living on the barrier islands, no one wants to evacuate INTO the center track. With Charley, Tampa evacuated to Orlando which turned out to be wrong and the East Coast wasn't expecting *anything*. With Frances, similar reasoning except East Coast isllanders *know* better than to stay this time but may not come too far inland because of the forecast track.....It may not be being complacent, but prudent....

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

SteveieB
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Oviedo, Florida
Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent.... [Re: Ricreig]
      #31663 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:19 AM

I have to agree, people are not wanting to head into the worse of it. We have relates in Titusville, odds are they are staying there instead of heading into Oviedo where the winds should be worse.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Pressure drops, and recon fixes, and my 1.5 cent forecast [Re: Bloodstar]
      #31664 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:21 AM

I love Diablo II...Sure wish I could take my Necro and defeat Jeanne...

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

LI Phil
User

Dwarves... [Re: Shalafi]
      #31667 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:27 AM

>>> Well, I've got to get the football players fed, one's grumpy and the other one's sleepy

And the names of Colleen's next 5 children will be: Doc, Bashful, Dopey, Happy, and Sneezy

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Florida.... this is NOT the time to be complacent.... [Re: Frank P]
      #31668 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:32 AM

I guess that's one good thing about these canes hitting us on the weekend, free weekend minutes! (when the cell towers are up and functioning)

Do you mean give your number to our relatives so you can update them? Or so we can call you when we lose power and can see what's going on?

--------------------
Bryan
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

sthorne
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Re: Dwarves... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31669 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:32 AM

I'm the oldest of seven, and my mother gave us all dwarf nicknames. I am "Doc."

LI Phil
User

Uh Oh... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31670 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:32 AM

25/1145 UTC 26.7N 77.0W T6.5/6.5 JEANNE

Guess who's coming to dinner? CAT III Jeanne...

Can't you guys catch ONE break this season?

Fasten your seatbelts...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

sthorne
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, FL
Re: Uh Oh... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31671 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:35 AM

Quote:

Can't you guys catch ONE break this season?

Seems not.

<--------- See the pic....Rabbit this is Bindi asking you to PLEASE send out the voodo hex!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

#31672 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:42 AM

We've had several breaks Phil! Alex, Danielle, Earl, Gaston, Hermine, Karl, Lisa...See? We're quite lucky!
Seriously tho, I'm a firm believer in the last line of my signature. We've had many years of drought and these rains are helping to refill out valuable aquifer. Yes there has been loss of life and property but we've also made friends, met neighbors and learned a LOT. The information obtained from these storms will help us in the future...say...next week when the next one rolls thru....

I'm just saying there is good in this even tho it's a terrible thing to go thru.

God bless everyone in her path.

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

nandav
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Uh Oh... [Re: sthorne]
      #31673 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:43 AM

So I wonder how much of a chance is it that Jeanne goes marching straight across the state... or turns N a little late.. and hits us with higher than tropical storm force winds. It's probably dumb to even ask if that's within the realm of possibility, since it seems that just about ANYTHING has been possible this season!

Since our house in Pt Charlotte is not quite liveable right now, we are actually in student housing at the local college .. and they will make us evacuate if we have hurricane warnings up ..which means going to the gym with 1700 college students!! (Although we have alternate arrangements.. if there's time .. but I wonder how much time we'll have if that scenario occurs!!)

LI Phil
User

Re: Uh Oh... [Re: sthorne]
      #31675 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:43 AM

Gotta go for a couple of hours...

Click here and check the "Forecast Points" box...might be making that northward turn at long last...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Bioman
Weather Watcher

#31676 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:44 AM

new thread up head over there

WestPalmBeach Nole

Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: danielw]
      #31677 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:46 AM

Well I am hoping that some people do move out of the state. I need a bigger house and there just isn't any inventory in the West Palm Beach area that meets my needs. My family has outgrown our current 2500 square foot home. My wife of 25 years, my 14 year old son and I have acquired two new roomies.... my mother and mother-in-law . Dear Lord cooped up in the house with shutters and nowhere to hide.......LOL. I hope that all you Florida residents stay safe.

Artsy Fartsy
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Fernandina Beach, Florida
Re: Uh Oh... (T- Numbers) [Re: LI Phil]
      #31696 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:23 AM

I have been a long time observer of this site, but only posted a few times. Like others I have questions about some of the terminology and acronyms that are used. The one that has me STUMPED are T-numbers. What are T-numbers and what do they represent.

Thanks for the info.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 210 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 67851

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center