F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: tsunami toll, final reports [Re: LI Phil]
      #34695 - Fri Dec 31 2004 12:07 AM

the question of why bangladesh didn't suffer a tremendous loss of life is nagging at mind. the tsunami should have propagated up there, and the country is very low lying (multiple tropical cyclones have killed thousands there). there must be some kind of bathymetric feature that prevented it from ramping onshore at significant height... most other coastlines it reached at that range had a more significant event.
HF 0456z31december

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: tsunami toll, final reports [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34696 - Fri Dec 31 2004 09:20 AM

Quote:

the question of why bangladesh didn't suffer a tremendous loss of life is nagging at mind. the tsunami should have propagated up there, and the country is very low lying (multiple tropical cyclones have killed thousands there). there must be some kind of bathymetric feature that prevented it from ramping onshore at significant height... most other coastlines it reached at that range had a more significant event.
HF 0456z31december

HF, no offense meant, but you almost sound like you're kind of bummed about it. Be grateful Bangladesh was spared...they lost 300K+ in a typhoon in 1970, so they get a free pass with this event.

On the last day of 2004, think about ALL the wierd and wild weather we (as a nation and world) endured this year. US broke the record for most twisters ever, four major landfalling hurricanes, earthquakes & volcanoes across the world, and now the tsunami...almost makes one think there's something being called "global warming" going on...Let us all hope and pray we never, ever, have a repeat of this year.

Sorry for the bummer tone of the post, but I for one will be glad to see 2005...and on that note...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith(234)
Unregistered

#34698 - Fri Dec 31 2004 10:20 AM

This may not be a wave, but the river of sorrow-otherwise known as the Yellow River (I believe Huang He), killed 3.7 million in China from flooding. So since the wave kills by flooding, and that event killed by flooding too it is not the most deadilest event.

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: tsunami toll, final reports [Re: Keith(234)]
      #34700 - Fri Dec 31 2004 03:08 PM

Keith,

It is the DEADLIEST TSUNAMI. I never said it was the deadliest weather event. K?

Happy New Year...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Bloodstar

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Southern atlantic Invest [Re: MikeC]
      #34701 - Fri Dec 31 2004 05:58 PM

don't know if it'll amount to anything but the NRL does have one up for the southern hemisphere.

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Bloodstar

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: tsunami toll, final reports [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34702 - Fri Dec 31 2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

HF 0456z31december

IIRC: evidently after the massive typhoon they had, the government there put up these massive wave bafflers in front of villages and towns, which broke up the wave and prevented it from having the impact that we're seeing in other countries... the source was from cnn.com so I'll look to see if i can find the link to the article.

-Mark

Keith(234)
Unregistered

#34703 - Fri Dec 31 2004 07:53 PM

Got you loud and clear, just was saying what I read in Newsday. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Can't wait till' 2005!

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: tsunami toll, final reports [Re: Keith(234)]
      #34706 - Fri Dec 31 2004 09:13 PM

Farewell 2004, the 2004 forums are now closed.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 114 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 44126

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center