F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: TD Forming [Re: wxman007]
      #36267 - Wed Jun 08 2005 04:43 PM

Thank you. I see the firing-up of the circulation now off the Honduran coast. I just wondered if it too would move east before north. I guess time will tell.

Edited by rmbjoe1954 (Wed Jun 08 2005 04:48 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: TD Forming [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #36268 - Wed Jun 08 2005 04:49 PM

I think we may have Arlene by Friday.Maybe even Thursday evening.There is a spin starting.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

Beaujolais
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Kenner, LA but displaced in VA...
Re: TD Forming [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #36271 - Wed Jun 08 2005 04:55 PM

Anyone along the Alabama Coast and points Eastward be on special guard.

--------------------
Displaced Cajun

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: TD Forming [Re: Beaujolais]
      #36272 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:02 PM

There is no reason to be alarmed yet.It is simple something to watch.Maybe a kick in the butt for people that have not gotten there supples.

--------------------

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: TD Forming [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #36274 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:21 PM

I understand that the water temperature is awfully warm; I do I believe we will get a storm out of this mix, See how it's starting to band around the circulation, and so close to the Honduran coastline?

Wow.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Orlando, FL
Unregistered

Re: The Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #36275 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:26 PM

No matter what this system does, Florida is going to get a lot more rain, and we certainly don't need it.

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

Cayman Islands [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #36279 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:36 PM

Pressure dropping and the winds are picking up:
http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/MWCR.html

Link to Kingston Jamacia:
http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/MKJP.html

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Recon [Re: Cocoa Beach]
      #36282 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:29 PM

Looks like it's coming from Louisiana, and it looks like it's got a little while before it arrives. So, we got a little bit of time to speculate before we get more information. It looks like the center is around 17N 84.5W and moving due north. Using good ole Mark I eyeball on the sat loops, if the circulation is closed... it is just barely closed. It's a real coin toss to say if recon will generate a vortex data message, But I'll go ahead and say yes they will. The storm is generating T numbers of 1.0/1.0 and there seems to be enough organization to give it the benefit of the doubt (particularly with the increasing convection near the center).

any other thoughts?
-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Recon [Re: Bloodstar]
      #36283 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:36 PM

Thanks, Mark-
Your acute analysis fits in with what is certainly looking to be our first named storm of the season.

--------------------

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Recon [Re: Bloodstar]
      #36284 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:37 PM

I'm curious about the impact of variable SST's on develpoment. I know that current area is in the area of 86 degrees but it will have to move over some cooler water (82 to 84) Can that create problems for development?

AMK
Unregistered

cooler water [Re: andy1tom]
      #36285 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:45 PM

82-84 degree water as opposed to 86 may retard development a little, but it is certainly warm enough for any depression or tropical storm to strengthan

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Recon [Re: Wingman51]
      #36287 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:50 PM

I am not covinced that this going to end up in the gulf.Looks like it maybe moving enough east,so that when it does turn north, the keys and south Fl maybe under the gun.I hope I am wrong,we have had 10 straight days of rain,with very little sun.

--------------------

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Recco Obs [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #36288 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:56 PM

[RECCO | INVEST (90L) OB #5] Time: 1848Z; Lat: 21.6°N; Long: 86.1°W; Turbulence: None; Flt Condition: Clear; Flt Level: 22999ft; Flt Winds: SW (210°) @ 15 mph; Temp: 3°F; Dewpoint: 3°F; Weather: Overcast Skies; SFC Winds: N/A; Remarks: None

Recon in Yucatan Channel

Edited by Jamiewx (Wed Jun 08 2005 06:58 PM)

HF at work
Unregistered

the coming call [Re: Jamiewx]
      #36289 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:06 PM

the circulation still looks very broad on visible, so I've got a hunch that even though recon will find a closed low, there's a chance there won't be an upgrade. surface winds in the area are probably 25-30kt though. it's a depression in my book, but the NHC makes those sorts of calls, not i. we'll have us an Arlene tomorrow one way or another.
watching that low level swirl over near 24/55. it was blowing some decent convection overnight, but that decoupled this morning. it's near the center of an upper trough right now, and starting to deal with some significant subsidence. whether anything can develop over there is just a matter of matching the upstream diffluent region of the upper trough with some decent convergence along the surface trough... getting that to happen is always the trick. small potatoes right now compared to 90L/formative Arlene.
HF 2003z08june

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
cat 5 back [Re: Jamiewx]
      #36290 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:08 PM

after spending the fall and winter cleaning up Ivan, I am not terribly interested in another hurricane...however, it is what it is...

this will be a ho hummer...nuthing much happens till August, does it?...

what are the potentials with the SST's where they're at?...probably not much above a storm or weak cat 1...

hope to learn a lot..this site gets better every year...I still consider myself a NOVICE...and that's stretching it a bit...

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Circulation Moving ENE? [Re: HF at work]
      #36291 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:11 PM

I also believe that the circulation is moving ENE. It spells for a wet weekend in Florida.

--------------------

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: cat 5 back [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #36292 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:13 PM

as time goes on, it is looking more and more that whatever develops will be similar to Gordon in 2000 (which it seems to be developing similarly to) in the sense that it will probably be lopsided with most of the weather to the east

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Recon [Re: ftlaudbob]
      #36294 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:22 PM

ftlaudbob -- it's really drifting right now, moreso than any definitive movement. A northward path is likely early on in its life, give or take a little either side of north. Once it gets into the Gulf & the ridge builds in (assuming it does), it should move more to the west. Depending on how close it gets to Florida & how strong it is, it could either enhance rainfall or create a very warm, dry day over land (due to subsidence outside the storm's envelope).

Another asked a question about variable SSTs: the lower SSTs reduces the amount of heat content for a storm and generally tends to limit the maximum end of the intensity, but it's moreso the depth of the warm water that is important as opposed to just warm SSTs. The SSTs are warm in the east Gulf, for instance, but the depth of that warmth is very shallow; the storm will churn the waters there and, coupled with rainfall cooling the atmosphere/waters as well, result in a very small amount of heat content available to even maintain intensity. In the central Gulf, however, SSTs are warmer, as are the sub-surface SSTs. A storm wouldn't have too much trouble there. The important depth is about 60m...a normal storm won't churn up a lot below there.

Satellite representation of the storm continues to get better with time; Dvorak numbers from SSD are 1.0, probably trending higher now, and recon will be there shortly to (hopefully) provide more data. Next QuikSCAT should be in the next 6hrs; not sure about the microwave satellite imagers. If current trends continue, we should have a depression sometime today or early tomorrow. Only time will tell from there.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Ob 6 [Re: Rabbit]
      #36296 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:22 PM

[RECCO | INVEST (90L) OB #6] Time: 1908Z; Lat: 20°N; Long: 85.3°W; Turbulence: None; Flt Condition: In/Out of clouds; Flt Level: 22999ft; Flt Winds: VRB @ 6 mph; Temp: 5°F; Dewpoint: 5°F; Weather: Overcast Skies; SFC Winds: N/A; Remarks: None

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
TD One [Re: Jamiewx]
      #36297 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:48 PM

FNMOC now list this as '01L.One' - first depression of the season. expect advisories at 2100z.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 27642

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center