F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Recon data [Re: Ricreig]
      #36642 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:45 PM

Quote:

Danny, Last year, someone posted a RECON DECODER here in the forum. I *thought* I got it from Mike or Ed or John sometime after Charlie last season. I can't find it anywhere now. Do you still have a copy?
Richard

Richard, good to see you back with the rest of us.
As a matter of fact there were about 4 or 6 of us working on a new decoder until 2 AM this morning.
The New WC-130J model has a slightly different format in their reports. So several of the programmers got together and worked on a newer version that will decode both the "H" and "J" model recon reports.
I'll have to see how it's going with them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: fl winds? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #36643 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:45 PM

What's the link Mike GFS is the newest I have seen at 1800 hrs.I expect it will take a run or two to initialize the new fix.

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: fl winds? [Re: FlaMommy]
      #36644 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:45 PM

Quote:

i must say i appreciate everyone who has helped me in trying to understand things and also for explainging about how this storm is forming and developing...thank you all for welcoming and i am so greatful i found this site(wish i would have found it last year) again thanks from the Hall family...

I think you'll find a whole big bunch of people in this forum that are always willing to answer questions. Without exception, every one of the members, even the professional mets, at one time had to ask questions and learn how, when, what and why. Now, with the experience they've achieved over the years, they return the knowledge to those just starting their journey to knowledge. One day, you may be the one answering questions. Of all the sites I frequent, on any subject, this is by far the best, most knowledgeable and accurate...add friendl. You should do well here.

Richard

MIkeG
Unregistered

Re: fl winds? [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #36645 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:46 PM

these.. all day over towards mobile, now over the panhandle of fl

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: fl winds? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #36646 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:49 PM

Quote:

looks to me the models are back to the right, over the fl panhandle

Al. I'm with you there. It's 23:46Z, I don't think Any of the models have even started yet. NAM is usually the first to finish , and that's 2-3 hours from now.
Please check the times on your reports. Jason taught me to do a better job of that last night.
Time now is 23:48Z 7:48 EDT and 6:48 CDT

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/prodstat/

Edited by danielw (Thu Jun 09 2005 07:51 PM)

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Atmospheric Pressure [Re: Terra]
      #36647 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:50 PM

Quote:

Nevermind on the rest.... I need to think about it a little more....

Ok, let me take two here....

I started thinking about atmospheric pressure, and since I'm used to thinking about gas laws regading closed systems, find myself a little confused. I know 760 mm Hg is standard atmospheric pressure, but pressure, temperature, and number density (encompasses both molecules and volume) are all related by the ideal gas law. Although pressure, temperature and number of molecules decreases with altitude in the troposphere (and pressure, and number of molecules in the stratosphere), what happens at the surface when the temperature changes. I would think a higher temperature would actually increase both the number density and pressure due to faster molecular motion (which will collide with the surface more frequently, exerting more pressure) and due to a higher concentration of gas molecules becase of increased water vapor concentrations from evaporation (as temperature increases vapor pressure increases). But, then again, more evaporation means more condensation, etc., so maybe the water vapor concentration is not increasing, really... but, the molecular motion argument should still stand. However, pressure can also be defined as the weight of the air above, and this should be constant, meaning that surface atmospheric pressure does not change much...

So, how related is atmospheric pressure and temperature? Is the number density constant, so you'd just use the ideal gas law to determine the pressure at a different temperature? Or, does the number density increase because of more evaporation? or, better yet decrease because of expansion (as T increases, V increases), which may keep pressure constant?

Boy, I'll stick to my balloon scenarios in class!

MikeG
Unregistered

latest [Re: MIkeG]
      #36648 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:52 PM

also appears that there are new storms near what i think is a possible new center. just south ot the tip of cuba, maybe sw. notice the storms out in GOM north of tip of yucatan. Still shear but appears weaking too.

HCW
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: fl winds? [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #36649 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:52 PM

Quote:

What "models" do you speak of?

I like the ones at playboy Wait wrong models

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Storm Cooper
User

Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: fl winds? [Re: MIkeG]
      #36650 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:54 PM

That is not nearly all the model runs and also you (they) have different run times mixed in. The latest is pretty clustered around the Mobile/Baldwin Co. AL still. New runs should be out in a couple of hours.

You can look on the CFHC main page and see the latest runs comps. of Skeet BTW

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Edited by Storm Cooper (Thu Jun 09 2005 07:59 PM)

Ricreig
User

Re: Recon data [Re: danielw]
      #36651 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:55 PM

Quote:

Richard, good to see you back with the rest of us.
As a matter of fact there were about 4 or 6 of us working on a new decoder until 2 AM this morning.
The New WC-130J model has a slightly different format in their reports. So several of the programmers got together and worked on a newer version that will decode both the "H" and "J" model recon reports.
I'll have to see how it's going with them.

I've been lurking for a while now, but haven't had a lot to say...that'll change

If and when you guys get the magic decoder ring running the way you want it to, may I suggest it be put online here on the board where it can be downloaded/used by those of us in the 'great unwashed masses'? Here's looking for an active season of fish-spinners to test our collective abilities in forecasting and tracking but NOT testing our homes and will to live through another SFH (tm Phil).

Richard

Decoder
Unregistered

Re: Recon data [Re: Ricreig]
      #36652 - Thu Jun 09 2005 07:58 PM

The Recon Info link on the left is what you are thinking of I think. It has the original code as a link there plus the modified one mike uses is on that page.

MikeG
Unregistered

Re: Recon data [Re: Decoder]
      #36653 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:04 PM

she is trying to hang

URNT12 KNHC 092344
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 09/23:27:40Z
B. 20 deg 10 min N
084 deg 10 min W
C. NA mb NA m
D. 20 kt
E. 100 deg 071 nm
F. 186 deg 030 kt
G. 106 deg 089 nm
H. EXTRAP 1001 mb
I. 24 C/ 469 m
J. 24 C/ 469 m
K. 23 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 134 / 1
O. 0.02 / 15 nm
P. AF302 0301A Arlene OB 12
MAX FL WIND 46 KT N QUAD 21:15:20 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 1500 FT.
WEAK CENTER; NOT WELL ORGANIZED

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Recon Decoder [Re: HCW]
      #36654 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:04 PM

I have an url to a vortex msg decoder that seems to work:

Hurricane Vortex Decoder

--Lou

Ricreig
User

Re: Recon data [Re: Decoder]
      #36655 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:08 PM

Quote:

The Recon Info link on the left is what you are thinking of I think. It has the original code as a link there plus the modified one mike uses is on that page.

One of the things that happen when you get as old as I am is that you become BLIND! Thanks for the Braille pointer

Richard

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Recon Decoder [Re: recmod]
      #36656 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:24 PM

Quote:

Hurricane Vortex Decoder

--Lou

very very neat little decoder there now i understand a little bit more about the numbers, letters mumbo jumbo....lol

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Recon Decoder [Re: recmod]
      #36657 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:26 PM

Quote:

Hurricane Vortex Decoder

--Lou

Thanks Lou . That's what I needed

Welcome back Richard

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Hmm. [Re: Frank P]
      #36658 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:34 PM

If you look at WV loops (not for the center) you can see the dry air just cutting off the western half of Arlene. I have no idea how she will make it as TS all the way to Alabama. However, that's not my job.
What is very impressive, however, is looking at the EASTERN quadrant of the storm.
I DO believe that she may be trying to reform her center in a more favorable environment.
But don't take that from the chick that's terrified of frogs.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

WeatherNLUAway
Unregistered

Re: Hmm. [Re: Colleen A.]
      #36659 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:44 PM

The SW'erly shear that is causing Arlene to be sheared apart at this time is forecast to relax. You're right, if that shear continues she will have a hard time getting any better organized.

mysticalmooons
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: rockledge, fl
Re: Hmm. [Re: Colleen A.]
      #36660 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:52 PM

Hi there, in my opinion I do think she is forming a new center. Probably near 85 and 22

Water vapor does show extreme damaging shear on the western side. However ir4 show that a better circle defined thunderstorm activity. the south side of her is very defined curve in ir4 imagery.dvorak at the 8:30 image has heavy thunderstorms in the nw corner and se corner at the time.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_hom...F_NAME=al012005
However, in scat imagery for wind direction still shows the center where NHC has it. I dont even see another cirulation. So im half and half now, lol

Tell me what you thing at my novice explaination.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Hmm. [Re: WeatherNLUAway]
      #36661 - Thu Jun 09 2005 08:56 PM

I have been looking at a water Vapor loop out of Miami, and if that Front looking area coming from the West does not speed up or slow down, it looks as though it could steer this storm closer to Florida than was originally forecast by the models. I know that there are many scenarios to choose from, but it looks eeriely similar to the path that Gabrielle took back in 2001, when we went to bed and she turned into a hurricane and came through Polk County as a very comparatively minimal storm. Thankfully she was not terribly destructive. In fact I believe, I went to work only to find out that we were closed and by the time I got back home 4 miles away, she had come through our area. Our bosses were so aggravated that they had closed the office for what amounted to a heavy rain storm and 20 minutes of winds over 30 miles per hour. Its amazing how 3 hurricanes in one season can change your perspective on what danger and excitement can be like.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 52652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center