F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean
      #36454 - Thu Jun 09 2005 11:44 AM

Tropical Depression One has formed into Tropical Storm Arlene this morning. It's movement is toward the north. Folks along the Eastern and Central Gulf coasts will want to watch this one. Tropical Storm watches and Warnings are out for the western
tip of Cuba as well. Not much strengthening is expected. Arlene, I'd venture to guess, will remain a Tropical Storm. Still we must watch it.

More to come...

Track map

County zoom

Model Initialization points

Event Related Links
Animated model plots for Arlene

Caribbean Island Weather Reports

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lonny307
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #36455 - Thu Jun 09 2005 11:59 AM

It looks right now that rain and flooding is going to be the main factor. Here in S Fl we don't need anymore rain but the way it looks is more with possible flooding. The stronger Arlene gets I would think the less rain here in S.Fl because alot of the deep convection would rap around the center. Hopefully not too much rain here. Will have to wait and see.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: lonny307]
      #36456 - Thu Jun 09 2005 12:06 PM

Arlene looks set to be quite a rain maker - especially for areas east of where the centre tracks! Convection in the eastern semi-circle is pretty impressive, but in the western semi-circle it is all but non-existent. I think Arlene will remain a pretty one sided storm throughout, with little in the way of convection making it on the west side. Still reckon it will cross Cuba as a 50 mph TS tonight, and then track north in the GOM. I also still think we are looking at a landfall near or just east of Mobile, AL, as a strong TS on the weekend.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Rich B]
      #36457 - Thu Jun 09 2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

I also still think we are looking at a landfall near or just east of Mobile, AL, as a strong TS on the weekend.

From the looks of the very nice county map, it looks like it may go right through my backyard. I'm sure glad it's not another Ivan ! Like Rickonaboatinmobile, I don't get really panicky for a TS but I'm still keeping a wary eye on this one thinking it may actually make it up to cat 1. Maybe this one will be ours and just get it over with for the rest of the season (I hope !!)

Liz
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #36458 - Thu Jun 09 2005 12:37 PM

The met on Fox 35 this morning, stated that he projects it will more a more easterly and brush the Fort Myers area Any thoughts on Arlene moving on a more easterly track, brushing the west coast of Florida.

Liz

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Rich B]
      #36459 - Thu Jun 09 2005 12:38 PM

purty much. the convective banding is now a semicircular arc to the east.. fairly deep convection that isn't too far from the center. should keep the center from drifting much to the west before cuba, and keep the intensification slow.
anybody notice the low level swirl near 25/55? it's throwing convection again this morning. if the shear over there was just a little less we'd have another trying to form. modeling is still picking up a disturbance in the caribbean early next week, also. busy times, early june...
HF 1337z09june

Thunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: HanKFranK]
      #36460 - Thu Jun 09 2005 12:46 PM

Nice maps, MikeC. Thanks!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Thunder]
      #36461 - Thu Jun 09 2005 12:58 PM

not sure about anyone else, but all i "see" with mike's graphics is the dreaded "red x"....

interesting storm Arlene she is (did that sound like yoda? sorry)

most of her convection totally concentrated in her northeast quadrant...obviously way too early to predict landfall and strength at landfall, but right now, looks like mobile might be wearing the bullseye...i guess we need to see how she does after interacting with comrade castro's little island and begins to interact with the GOM's warm waters...she's a rainmaker fer sher, lets hope that's all...

welcome to cane season 2005...fasten your seatbelts

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: LI Phil]
      #36462 - Thu Jun 09 2005 01:10 PM

Good morning all, Yoda (LOL) couple of ?'s from a novice. Is it the drier air dipping down to the west of the storm that is preventing it from wrapping around and closing off. Also, based on models I am looking at Lat/Long to see exact location, is there a site to just pop in the numbers and know the location? Thanks

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #36463 - Thu Jun 09 2005 01:23 PM

Just a thought, but I dont think Cuba will affect Arlene to much. Just my opinion though.

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Droop31]
      #36464 - Thu Jun 09 2005 01:33 PM

Quote:

Just a thought, but I dont think Cuba will affect Arlene to much. Just my opinion though.

droop...you're prolly right...even her "best" projected path takes her just west of coo-bah....but all her convection (at least as of now) will traverse the narrow part (remember how little affect that had on Ivan), so i just want to see how she survives that trek...prolly little affect but for such a lopsided storm it may well play a role...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Cycloneye11
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Juan,Puerto Rico
New invest 91L in Atlantic [Re: LI Phil]
      #36465 - Thu Jun 09 2005 01:49 PM

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

This is turning interesting with already Arlene and maybe Bret soon?

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
      #36466 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:00 PM

Hey, Taz! Good to see ya back! I've been using this "Quick Plot" from the Sun-Sentinel for about 5 years. You can either put in the lon/lat yourself or it will track it for you. I liked to do it when I got the different coordinates from the NHC. You may have to download Shockwave to use it. Let me know if you need any help!
Colleen
Quick Plotting Map from Sun-Sentinel

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Liz]
      #36467 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:08 PM

Liz, did the met say why he thought it would brush Ft. Myers? I assume he had a reason he would say that because they usually go exactly with the NHC guidance. Just curious. As usual!
I looked at the UKMET model on the maps and it has this storm initialized too much to the west, in my humble opinion. I think until it gets into the GOM and starts moving, we're not really gonna know what the impacts will/won't be on the State of Florida.
I saw that 91L invest...was that the one you were referring to, HF?
Hmmm. It's only June 9th.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: LI Phil]
      #36468 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:08 PM

Quote:

but all her convection (at least as of now) will traverse the narrow part (remember how little affect that had on Ivan), so i just want to see how she survives that trek...prolly little affect but for such a lopsided storm it may well play a role...

I'd have to agree with the latter comment more. With a weak storm, such as this, I can see even a small land interaction having an effect. Ivan wasn't phased, but this storm is nothing like Ivan.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pensacola
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Terra]
      #36469 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:13 PM

Ivans eye remained largely over water while a portion of the eyewall clipped extreme western Cuba. I ust dont see alittle strip of land affecting an already unorganized TS. Also, the fact she's supposed to pick up speed I think Cuba will just be a minor bump in the road.

Colleen A.

Reged:
StormHound [Re: Terra]
      #36470 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:15 PM

StormHound - you got my curiousity up last night: am I really in the Cone of Death? How do they figure that?
Phil -- not being off-topic or flippant, just curious as to why I would be in the Cone of Death.

--------------------

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Colleen A.]
      #36471 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:21 PM

Colleen, thanks, that is a good one, let me know if you come across one that by city/county breaks it down even further to determine right on an area of landfall. Are Thing 1 and 2 watchers also )) My son is in Dothan visiting Grammy for the summer, keeping my eyes unusually close for so early in the game.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Arlene Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Droop31]
      #36472 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:22 PM

I agree with you, Droop. I don't know that the actual "center" will go over the tip of Cuba...the convection might. However, even if it does, it's going over the narrowest and lowest part of the Island of Love and Humanity, so I really don't think it will tear it to pieces.
I do believe that this will be a major rain event for Florida. But I have a question: which scenario would be worse for Florida:
1. The center stays 200 miles off the coast of Florida, meaning we get all the effects of the eastern quadrant of the storm or
2. The center is closer to the coast (say, a brush with Ft. Myers) and the outer bands are mostly over the Atlantic Ocean.
Then again, there's
3. It stays closer to the coast, and as it pulls away, we get the rain bands.

I really don't see how Florida won't be affected by it one way or the other. You can already feel the tropical moisture in the air - it's heavier than usual.
Just some random thoughts flying through my head.

--------------------

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #36473 - Thu Jun 09 2005 02:25 PM

I haven't found one that breaks it down that closely. I'd use Skeetobite's maps for that. No, Thing 1 & Thing 2 do not "watch". I say "tropical storm" and they automatically head to the closet. I've been doing that since Christmas.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 52381

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center