F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Clark]
      #38282 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:22 AM

Clark, I'm fascinated by larger storms seek the poles while large icebergs seek the equator. Hmmmm... maybe we should start an educational thread for between systems. Oh yeah, that's when we sleep!

Seriously though, I've been wondering about that.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
PolkBB
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #38283 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:25 AM

I'd also be interested in knowing why larger storms tend to move poleward.

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: USA
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: dem05]
      #38284 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:25 AM

Hey Clark,

I would also be interested in your thoughts on poleward movement with lager/stonger storms. Thanks in advance.

HR

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
00z GFS.... [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #38285 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:26 AM

Trends back to the east a bit...very close to the official NHC track.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Arcadia, FL
      #38287 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:27 AM

Quote:

All 5 seasons with majors in July were very active seasons with a large number of U.S. landfalls.

Don't much like the sound of that........ Well at least I bought a generator during 'sans sales tax week'.

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: Sadie]
      #38288 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:29 AM

that is not a good trend.

Keeneye
Unregistered

Cindy [Re: wxman007]
      #38289 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:34 AM

Just a note, our local mets are reporting that Cindy is not making the NE turn. We expect here in N.O. more rain and wind than anticipated....so far rain has turned heavy (but not torrential) and wind gradually getting higher in spurts. I have nearly lost power twice but local reports say wind only into the 40's (while a storm flag ripped of the pole in the min-cam background) but this is at least = to Isadore, Lili and Ivan from my memory. More later if possible.

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Cindy [Re: Keeneye]
      #38291 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:36 AM

Thanks for the update.

maybe maybe not
Unregistered

Re: 00z GFS.... [Re: wxman007]
      #38292 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:37 AM

The 00Z GFS run has it direct hit on New Orleans.

PolkBB
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: 00z GFS.... [Re: maybe maybe not]
      #38293 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:39 AM

Not good for the central Gulf but might keep us in Central Florida out of the woods.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Cindy [Re: Keeneye]
      #38294 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:40 AM

Try the NWS Slidell link or NOAA weather radio.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix/

My favorite (since 1965) is WWL 870 AM.
I believe both the NHC and NWS Slidell have said that Cindy has turned toward the NE or NNE.

dem05
User

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: 00z GFS.... [Re: wxman007]
      #38295 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:41 AM

Mr Stewart is clairvoyant (sp?) for those new models I guess? I haven't found the GFS, but here is the CMC: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cgi-bin/cmctc2.cg...;hour=Animation And the new GFDL is up on this one (the others are old, please note times): http://www.sfwmd.gov/org/omd/ops/weather/plots/storm_04.gif
Only spooky question, what if the next forecast track goes east? Wonder if models follow again. Just an aside...

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #38296 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:42 AM

If that were to happen that would not be to good. But it is still way too far out to pick out any one spot. I can't say it enough, people on the Gulf Coast need to keep a close eye out and be prepared. I know hunches and feelings don't nessisarily mean anything but seeing it headed possibly to NO gives me a funny feeling.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #38297 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:46 AM

Easy Now. It wasn't that accurate with Cindy that far out.
And remember. The models are working with a Tropical Storm at present. Not a Hurricane or Major Hurricane. Which would generate a slighly different solution.

HF help me out here.
I believe that Cindy was first progged in to the TX/ LA border?

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #38298 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:48 AM

Well, by popular request...

On the Earth, we've got something called the Coriolis effect, inherent to the rotation of the Earth. It gets stronger as you move poleward; it is very weak at the equator, gradually increasing through the tropics, then ramping up around 45 N/S. It is a right-of-motion deflection, meaning anything moving to the west is going to tend to be deflected towards the north. We quantify this effect with the Coriolis parameter, termed f in meteorology. It is generally much smaller than the vorticity (spin) found within a tropical cyclone by 100+ times, but is nevertheless significant.

As a storm grows larger -- or, alternatively, as it grows stronger and its peripheral impacts reach over a larger area -- it is able to reach both higher and lower values to the north and south (respectively) of the Coriolis parameter than were it at a normal (or its original) size.

Now, picture the flow around a hurricane in the Northern Hemisphere (you can apply these to the southern hemisphere, but for simplicity and practicality's sake, I'll stick to the NH here). Air -- we call it a parcel of air -- due west of the center is going to move south, while that due east of the center is going to move north. So now, you have two parcels displaced from the latitude of the center, one in the SW quadrant of the storm, another in the NE quadrant.

In general, vorticity (here, the spin of the atmosphere plus the Coriolis effect) is a conserved quantity, meaning if one goes up, the other has to go down to compensate. So, picture the air parcel on the SW side of the storm. Since f decreases towards the south, the value of the vorticity of the parcel is greater than that of its environment (where the value of f is smaller). Similarly, on the NE side of the storm, the value of the vorticity of the parcel is less than that of its environment (since the value of f increases to the north, this is where the value of f is larger than that of the parcel of air).

On the SW side, we call this greater value of vorticity a positive perturbation, whereas on the NE side, the smaller value of vorticity is termed a negative perturbation. In meteorology, positive values of vorticity -- again, spin -- are associated with cyclones and cyclonic flow. Thus, on the SW side of the storm, you get this weak cyclonic eddy; this results in a flow from the southeast to the northwest across the storm. On the NE side of the storm, you get a weak anticyclonic eddy, also resulting in the same flow across the storm.

Note that further away from the storm with these eddies, you get flow to the southeast, but that affects the outside environment and not the storm. It's hard to describe with words, but I can't find a suitable picture.

The stronger (larger) a storm is, the stronger these eddies become. Thus, in general, the natural tendency of a symmetric tropical cyclone is to move to the northwest; the larger flow pattern, such as a strong subtropical ridge, usually overwhelms this effect. Nevertheless, these eddies can impart a northwestward motion upon the storm of about 2-3mph....trending more to the north with a larger/stronger storm. Not large, and generally negligible, but it is an effect included in the Beta advection models -- in fact, this is exactly what Beta advection is, the so-called beta effect.

I've tried to make this as non-technical as possible, but I'm sure it is probably still too much, for which I apologize. I'll try to refine it a bit if need be, though. As always, this is somewhat of a simplified model, as it assumes a symmetric storm in an ideal environment; the same principles hold for shearing environments and/or asymmetric storms, but just to different magnitudes and perhaps slightly different directions.

Hope this helps, at least a little!

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #38299 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:52 AM

That's awesome! Thanks Clark. I can acually get my brain around that.

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #38300 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:52 AM

Thanks for your time and very indepth and helpful explaination.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #38301 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:53 AM

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 608
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1140 PM CDT TUE JUL 5 2005

EFFECTIVE THIS TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY MORNING FROM 1140 PM UNTIL 800 AM CDT.

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A
TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF

EXTREME SOUTHWEST ALABAMA
EXTREME SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI
COASTAL WATERS
THE TORNADO WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 50 STATUTE MILES
NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 55 MILES WEST SOUTHWEST OF GULFPORT
MISSISSIPPI TO 45 MILES EAST SOUTHEAST OF MOBILE ALABAMA. FOR A
COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE
UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU8).

LOUISIANA PARISHES INCLUDED ARE
JEFFERSON ORLEANS PLAQUEMINES
ST. BERNARD ST. TAMMANY

MISSISSIPPI COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE
GEORGE HANCOCK HARRISON
JACKSON PEARL RIVER STONE

ALABAMA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE
BALDWIN MOBILE

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/WNS/SEL8.0507060441

Edited by danielw (Wed Jul 06 2005 04:58 AM)

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
      #38302 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:53 AM

wow im frazzled...lol...very very good info tho...thanks

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Cindy Landfalls, Dennis still Being Watched [Re: hurricane_run]
      #38303 - Wed Jul 06 2005 04:54 AM

Dennis looks like he his getting his act together somewhat. NRL

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 252 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54985

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center