F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
LEANNEHOLT

Reged: Thu
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: MikeC]
      #39202 - Thu Jul 07 2005 05:55 PM

WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE VACATIONING IN PANAMA CITY BEACH AS OF SATURDAY, JULY 9TH... ANY NEWS AS TO THE HURRICANE HITTING THERE, OR ANY EVACUATIONS?

THANKS!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Thanks! [Re: Rasvar]
      #39203 - Thu Jul 07 2005 05:57 PM

Thanks to all who answered my question! I appreciate the help navigating through this thing. I thought that's what it meant but I wanted to be sure. Now I am!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: LEANNEHOLT]
      #39204 - Thu Jul 07 2005 05:58 PM

Uh… I wouldn’t plan on vacationing in Panama city this weekend.

--------------------
cheers

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: LEANNEHOLT]
      #39205 - Thu Jul 07 2005 05:59 PM

Wal-Mart and local Stores are starting to pick up.....here in PCB

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Thu Jul 07 2005 06:08 PM)

iloathedennis
Unregistered

#39206 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:00 PM

Quote:

WE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE VACATIONING IN PANAMA CITY BEACH AS OF SATURDAY, JULY 9TH... ANY NEWS AS TO THE HURRICANE HITTING THERE, OR ANY EVACUATIONS?

THANKS!

Not sure if that's such a good idea. Like I said, I live here and I'm evacuating. You will be flying in when everyone is heading out. Sorry it worked out that way.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: iloathedennis]
      #39208 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:02 PM

I am going to be very concerned for my area if that NW motion does not change by tomorrow. They said it was going to hit the western tip of Cuba...current motion places on the eastern side of Cuba...any indication that this current motion will be more WNW in the next 12-24 hours? This is going to be a close one for all of Florida.

name
Unregistered

Re: bull got the herd scared stiff [Re: Southern4sure]
      #39209 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:02 PM

not hitting se fl

Patrick

ITS HEADING RIGHT FOR US!!!!!! [Re: MikeC]
      #39210 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:03 PM

I live in pensacola, Florida and from what ive heard and what ive seen maps that say its going to go right over us can someone tell me if that is true????????

Barry Vaught

Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: iloathedennis]
      #39211 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:04 PM

Quote:

Are they suggesting evacuation? The condo we're staying at is on the bay side I think the street name is Indian something . Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Kerry
Please register and you may receive the information you want by pm/email.
This will help to keep the forum uncluttered and open for needed emergency weather information .
IMHO- I would reschedule your trip due to the advancing hurricane Dennis.
Good Luck
Barry VaughtEnterprise@aol.com

ronnie_b
Unregistered

Re: Storm Surge? [Re: MissBecky]
      #39212 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:06 PM

Quote:

I've been reading this forum all day with interest (despite the fact that I'm not allowed to be on the Internet while at work). Am concerned that Ft. Myers will be in the dread right front quadrant, as the storm passes by to the south and west....

I had a question regarding storm surge. I have an aunt who lives on a canal that leads out to the GOM. How far/close does Dennis have to be before she will feel storm surge effects? The only data I've been able to find regarding storm surge is for a direct hit. Thanks!

Estimates of storm surge will come through your local NWS office once the tropical storm or hurricane warning is posted. In your situation, as well as mine, I live along the coast north of Tampa, it will depend on how close the storm is, how intense it is, and its forward motion. What I can tell you is that winds will be strong intially from the SE and then once the storm moves north of your latitude, they will swing to the SW and push storm tides into the coastal region. My geuss at this point, if the current track holds, maybe 3-5 feet becuz we'll likely get tropical storm force winds out of the SW. Think of recent tropical storms (Gabrielle) and that's what is likely now. Of course, if this thing hugs the coast, & is a CAT 3 or 4, it'll be time to evacuate.

Dawn
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: St. Petersburg FL
Re: State of Emergency [Re: Rasvar]
      #39213 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:07 PM

I got home from work @ The Home Depot about 1:00pm after selling generators, gas cans, flashlights, battery operated fans and etc, as I was leaving plywood started to sell. On the way the Winn Dixie was getting their metal shutters ready. Check what you all were saying, the satellites, and maps. Went right back out filled 7 5 gallon gas cans and went to the Winn Dixie. Bought a generator for my parents and got them ready. Hopefully all will be well. But now I can go to work tomorrow with peace of mind and load plywood.

You all kept me sane last year. THANK YOU

My main reason for posting is that I spent several hours transfering in generators and have a few left at my store. They can not be put on Will Call or phone sales, but if in need please stop by the Pinellas Park store ASAP. All generators are on allocations so we only get them after the storm or when Atlanta sends them. This is not an advertisement - just to let you all know, as people were scrambling last year and I remember we could not find one for someone on this forum who had a medical problem.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: Barry Vaught]
      #39214 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:10 PM

Dennis really is an impressive hurricane on the satellite imagery, and it seems likely that Cuba is gonna take a bashing. My gut instinct is that much of the east coast of Florida will see at least some impact from Dennis. Yes, you may not see the 125mph winds, but expect heavy showers, storms, and squalls, as well as gusty winds, as Dennis moves through the GOM off the west coast towards the Panhandle. Now, if i was living anywhere from NOLA to Apalachicola, i would be certainly watching intently, and probably stocking up now too!

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #39215 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:12 PM

I also can't wait for the midnight models to come out. I heard they might have the new high pressure data from the NHC survelliance planes. I think tonights model runs will be interesting and important. Can't wait.

vvvteddybearvvv
Weather Watcher

Loc: Seminole country, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: Rich B]
      #39216 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:14 PM

chanel 6 in orlando has thir path from accuweater going more west i realy think they should not use accuweater in these situations and use the NHC data

Colleen A.

Re: bull got the herd scared stiff [Re: Southern4sure]
      #39217 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:14 PM

I would ignore those who come on here unregistered, telling us we're "freaking out", "in the clear", "no gonna hit (fill in the blank)" etc. They usually come in and leave a post and never return. Wouldn't waste my typing fingers replying to them!
If anyone has plans to come vacation in the Panhandle, Destin, Panama City or any points south this weekend, I would put it off. Even if it DOES hit MS or AL, you'll be on the eastern side of the storm which will be the worst side. Plus, if you're flying in, I can guarantee that your airline will cancel your flight.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
      #39218 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:17 PM

Quote:

Are they suggesting evacuation? The condo we're staying at is on the bay side I think the street name is Indian something . Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure that being on the bay side really makes that much of a difference with a big storm. I would contact the condo rental place tomorrow.... hopefully if you do have to evacuate, you can get your money back. I was in Orlando last year for Charlie (or, was that Francis.. hhmm, whichever went there). We had to leave early and didn't get any money back.... despite the fact that a tree fell on the house we were staying at!

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Radar Site in Cuba [Re: Colleen A.]
      #39220 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:23 PM

Guys, Thought I would post this link right now to the radar site in Cuba, since we will soon loose visible satellite, this will be a nice way to see the storm. Here is the link: Cuban Radar Web Site Once you are in the web page, scroll down to you come to Radares and click on the image, then simply select the part of the island you wish to see. Its slow, but its cuban.. .:)

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
whuppin time [Re: vvvteddybearvvv]
      #39221 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:25 PM

dennis is going to cross cuba at an oblique angle. i'm thinking the forecast intensity is rather high in the early period as the island should disrupt the core of the storm. probably go by the lower keys as a cat 1 or 2. if it gets on the right side of the guidance envelope then the proximity to florida and shallow coastal waters should cap any massive reintensification... unless the inner core is small. the NHC track still looks about right given the questions around how well Dennis can handle cuba. landfall intensity as a 2 or 3 also looks right.. it will be 1/2 if it tracks near the west coast of florida to the big bend. might bottom out at 4 late this evening before it starts to nick cuba... but the pressure falls have slowed late this afternoon (though the flight level winds seem to have caught up.. or recon just found some good samples).
the large tropical wave south of the cape verdes is our next best candidate to be anything. it shouldn't organize inside of 2-3 days, though. big, flat ridge and significantly warm SSTs only past 40w, so i reckon there may be a developing system nearing the islands next week, wednesday or so.
later model runs have adjusted some generic track features about Dennis as well. the consensus now takes it north and those slow/stall in the mid-mississippi valley solutions are scant. another note is the sooner landfall progs than yesterday.. late sunday instead of late monday. it was tuesday the 12th two days ago. i don't see it getting much sooner... late 10th/early 11th looks good.
HF 2325z07july

Colleen A.

VIPIR Models [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #39223 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:26 PM

Just watched News Channel 8 & 13...both use the VIPIR model that our own JK helped design! It's interesting to note that the VIPIR models have also shifted to the east.

So, yes, I think the next model runs will be interesting to see.
Ok...gotta go outside and yell at my kids to stop screaming.

--------------------

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: VIPIR Models [Re: Colleen A.]
      #39224 - Thu Jul 07 2005 06:33 PM

Pensacola is a mess. Ivan made people realize what this can do. Gas stations are mostly out of gas, those with have huge lines. No generators or gas cans. What a mess,

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 546 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 73287

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center