F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: 8 PM [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39336 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:58 AM

i just checked the last load of waypoints theres been a more northward trend in Dennis but not enogh for it to hit MIA not direcly anyway!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: 8 PM [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #39337 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:59 AM

Looks like many of the models moved west again.. LOL..But they all appear to have a consenus of Florida/Alabama Line. So hey maybe they are on to something.. then again, maybe not..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #39338 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:01 AM

Quote:

"My advice, from having experienced the exact scenario above is to protect yourself where you are unless you have a VERY good reason for being elsewhere. i.e. You live in a mobile home. "

I TOTALLY disagree with this advice. I have been thru a ton of cains since the 60's down here in Florida and I can tell everyone that it is ALWAYS better to evacuate A and B zones than to ride it out. In one cain in the 60's, we were told to evacuate and didn't.. it was just a Cat 3 we said. We sat thru the winds but didn't expect 15' high walls of water to come cascading down on us 1/2 mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Eventually we were under 9 feet of water on the island.

My point is, while some say they have riden storms out, they have been LUCKY. Don't risk your life - follow emergency management's decision for your area. and zone.

I cannot agree more with Red. Every 50 miles inland is a huge difference in terms of hurricane strength. While the hurricanes caused much distruction in Central Florida, it was generally not life threatening. Even without the windows boarded up, you can ride out a storm in a small-windowless room in the center of the house. It is much better to be in a house which has lost shingles and has water coming in, then a house without a roof or walls. If ordered to evacuate, do so.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

BillD
User

Reged:
Loc: Miami
Re: Big Time Dennis [Re: Terra]
      #39339 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:02 AM

It might have been correct. They do post observations on their way to their destination, and on the way back, so everyone can keep tabs on where they are. These planes fly out of locations around the SE US and the Caribbean, so it is not unusual to see coordinates far away from the storm, but usually right at the beginning of a run or end..

Bill

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: Also [Re: Brett]
      #39340 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:03 AM

Actaully, I have been watching all 6 of those models and 4 panel for CMC and as of right now, nothing from most of the perspectoves has changed since Dennis was named.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 8 PM [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39341 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:03 AM

Quote:

i just checked the last load of waypoints theres been a more northward trend in Dennis but not enogh for it to hit MIA not direcly anyway!

Even if it did hit Miami somehow, it would have traveled across the state of Florida to get there. Miami would be looking at something less than full strength Hurricane Dennis.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: 8 PM [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #39342 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:03 AM

Latest NHC Model run....

web page

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
OH NO [Re: BillD]
      #39343 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:04 AM

As a Pensacola resident, I can say nothing is so frightening as seeing Jim Cantore from the weather channel on Pensacola Beach....he is here again!

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
modles [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #39344 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:05 AM

Yeah they all seem pretty set...guess it's just who the winner/loser is.

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #39345 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:05 AM

Quote:

"My advice, from having experienced the exact scenario above is to protect yourself where you are unless you have a VERY good reason for being elsewhere. i.e. You live in a mobile home. "

<snip>....My point is, while some say they have riden storms out, they have been LUCKY. Don't risk your life - follow emergency management's decision for your area. and zone.

You missed my point entirely. My point was that you just might have to "ride it out" no matter where you evacuate to, so you should be prepared to do exactly that, whether you stay where you are or flee to a county that isn't even under an evacuation order.

I fled because they told me to flee. The windspeed where I fled from never got above 40 mph. I went where they told me to go. There, the windspeed was 140 mph.

That's my point, you simply cannot KNOW where you will be safe, and neither can the experts. Be prepared, prepared, prepared, wherever you are.

I wasn't trying to be brave and ride it out, I was fleeing, trying to keep my family safe. After my experience, I realize that some common sense is in order and that the "officials" don't always have a perfect handle on it.

I had hoped for intelligent discussion on how to protect yourself where you are, and not always relying on "head somewhere else". Because sometimes you can't head somewhere else, you find it on your heels despite trying to get away from it. I am not a brave advocate of "riding it out",. I'm simply a concerned mother trying to keep my family safe.

-Bev

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: OH NO [Re: pcola]
      #39346 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:06 AM

Usually that means where it won't go.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: OH NO [Re: pcola]
      #39348 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:07 AM

Then you are lucky I thought hwere ever Jim went the Hurricane was sure not to come.If you do not want him send him our way a little insurance never hurt no one.

Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: modles [Re: twizted sizter]
      #39349 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:07 AM

Any one think marco has a chance of being hit, my grandma is getting worried and is on about evacu??? i wanna stay and wacth it from the beach=]

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Bev]
      #39350 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:08 AM

uh... wow! The hurricane city broadcast keeps bieng cut in by Will and Grace (they got struck by lightning).

--------------------
cheers

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: modles [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39351 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:08 AM

Quote:

Any one think marco has a chance of being hit, my grandma is getting worried and is on about evacu??? i wanna stay and wacth it from the beach=]

Not a particularly good idea if it does come your way....

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: 8 PM [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #39352 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:09 AM

If people are planning on evacuating into Georgia, your best bet would be anywhere on the eastern part of the state say from Macon to Augusta. The Columbus area got hit pretty hard last night as well as the southern metro counties of Atlanta.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or it maybe the 2 hours sleep I had last night, but if some of the models are showing Dennis to take a Florida/Alabama track, wouldn't that give it the exact same track as Ivan from last year?

If it is the case, I think I may need to re-inflate my water wings here because Atlanta can't take any more heavy rain....

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Also [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #39353 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:09 AM

CMC Model still shows the same track.. Amazing UK MET and CMC have barely moved off their tracks.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: modles [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39354 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:09 AM

Your local EOC will have evac info...won't comment about you wanting to stay & watch from the beach.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: StormHound]
      #39355 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:10 AM

Uh-oh - Jim Cantore is now live from Pensacola. Sorry, but I'm happy he isn't in Naples! Collier County Commissioners have called an emergency meeting at 8:30 am Friday morning and I'm guessing they will probably call for a state of emergency unless there is a drastic change for the better overnight. Stores were busy this afternoon but not crazy, same with gas stations. Just moved my orchids from the lanai to the bathtub (aka their summer home) so there is not as much to do tomorrow. Stay safe everyone!

Karen
Naples, FL

Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: modles [Re: Terra]
      #39356 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Not a particularly good idea if it does come your way....

LoL

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40971

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center