F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
MarcoResi
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: dolfinatic]
      #40356 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

Has anyone seen the latest GOM water vapor loop? Not an expert but sure does look like it is diving south and east fairly quickly now. Wonder what this will do to Dennis as he emerges from Cuba.

ccan we have a link plz=]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re: Thus far NHC has been magnificant... [Re: susieq]
      #40357 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:17 PM

susieq I feel your pain, good luck, it doesn't look good for you again but you got to hope for the best... things can and do change with these system, hopefully they will for you this time to... godspeed and best of luck.... I just can't imagine going thru this twice in one year... geesh

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Thus far NHC has been magnificant... [Re: Frank P]
      #40358 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:19 PM

The latest track is going right thru my neighborhood in Tiger Point-Gulf Breeze...again! I'm going back to the mountains if this one hits here.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

mud1967
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: jkbtrb]
      #40359 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:19 PM

My parents live in P'cola. Thier house is near the back entrance to NAS off of Fairfield. Ivan took off the Florida room and the roof with it. They are long gone. The folks around them that stayed for Ivan are leaving too. One of the best reasons (other than safety) is living with out power and debris everywhere is so much better. At least for a few days.

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: bamffl]
      #40360 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:19 PM

Convert UPPERCASE to lowercase

It's up now.

If I have time tomorrow, I'll edit that to be a regular expression which much tighter control over what gets changed (allow initial cap and look for proper nouns from a library).

But hey, that's not what you get for 103 seconds worth of work.

mbfly
Weather Guru

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: 85 degree water [Re: MikeC]
      #40361 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:19 PM

was just announced on news station WPMI here in Mobile, and I made sure to listen closely. They clearly said "MANDATORY evacuation of all of Mobile County". Almost couldn't believe my ears; sounded a little extreme given that the official track is still to our east. On the other hand, the track looks like it will actually go more over the north parts of the county and maybe that's what they are thinking.

MarcoResi
Weather Watcher

Loc:
Re: Thus far NHC has been magnificant... [Re: Frank P]
      #40362 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:20 PM

have a look at this SLOW IT DOWN

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-vis-loop.html

Bev
Weather Guru

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: bamffl]
      #40364 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Sorry Bev, that doesn't work for me... A quick UCase() and everything is taken care of on the recieving side. Also, if they really wanted to complicate their lives, the ASCII values for upper and lower case letters have the same delta offsets.

BTW, *not* giving you a hard time! Just coming around to a firm theory that the guys over there are typing with one hand. ;-)

Great forecasting, though!!!

ROFL... well thank you for the lesson, and my forecast is... I'm heading to TN for the summer. Had enough of this weather last year. Btw, my specialty is network security and NOT programming, obviously. :-)

Those poor fellows typing with one hand are most likely praying their forecasts are right with the other.

-Bev

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Thus far NHC has been magnificant... [Re: MarcoResi]
      #40365 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:22 PM

New topic has been posted

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: 85 degree water [Re: mbfly]
      #40366 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:24 PM

but you could very well be in the eye wall of this system, and if its a strong 3, no part of the eye wall would be a good thing... even more all it would take would be a wobble to the west a few miles and you could take a direct... this thing could very easily hit the MS/AL state line and its Fredrick all over again... I'm not saying this is going to happen but its certainly possible..

mom2als

Loc: Kissimmee, Fl
Re: Thus far NHC has been magnificant... [Re: Baudelaire]
      #40367 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:24 PM

Baudelaire,
Just in case you didn't know, they put out mandatory evacs for both Hurlburt and Eglin AFB for a min distance of at least 100 miles away. Not sure if you were there last summer for Ivan, but our house is near FWB high school and we lost 3 big trees and that wasnt even a direct hit. Whatever you decide, I hope you stay safe.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: MarcoResi]
      #40368 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:25 PM

This is the wp for GOM http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

Edited by dolfinatic (Fri Jul 08 2005 11:29 PM)

mbfly
Weather Guru

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: 85 degree water [Re: TDW]
      #40369 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:27 PM

Quote:

http://www.ema.alabama.gov/ - The second article down talks of the evacs.

And here is yet another, at http://www.wpmi.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=60635E5E-6C8A-4CA8-9BE5-E8DD43AC4BDD

which says in part, "
GULF SHORES, Ala. (AP) - About a half-million people on the Alabama coast were ordered to evacuate Friday as Hurricane Dennis took aim at beach resorts still trying to patch roofs, restore dunes and rebuild high-rise condos wrecked by Ivan last year.

Gov. Bob Riley, with recommendations from emergency management officials, ordered the mandatory evacuation of all of Mobile County, with more than 400,000 residents, and the part of Baldwin County that is south of Interstate 10, a coastal area with about 100,000 people. It was uncertain how many would leave, with traffic already bumper-to-bumper in some places. While the evacuation is mandatory, such orders in past hurricanes have been followed mostly by those at the beach resorts, low-lying coastal areas or in mobile homes in the two counties, which surround Mobile Bay and include fragile Gulf islands. But many even in urban Mobile have boarded up and fled, too. Alabama Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Martha Earnhardt said law enforcement officers can arrest anyone who disobeys an evacuation order. But she said the troopers' focus will not be on making arrests but making sure the evacuation continues smoothly.The evacuation order takes effect at 6 a.m. Saturday. At that time, state troopers will begin turning Interstate 65 into a one-way north to Montgomery, about 170 miles from Mobile. I-65 will return to two-way traffic at 5 p.m.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: dolfinatic]
      #40370 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:28 PM

oops wrong link here is the right one http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-wv-loop.html

MarcoResi
Weather Watcher

Loc:
NEW POST [Re: dolfinatic]
      #40373 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:30 PM

NEW POSTNEW POST NEW POST

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Thus far NHC has been magnificant... [Re: Baudelaire]
      #40374 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:33 PM

If your in Ft. Walton/Destin i would leave and head east, towards Orlando, i would only be worried about heavy rain and tornadoe's down there.... better than 100mph sust. winds for many hrs. in Destin area

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: Bev]
      #40375 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:33 PM

Bev,

It's more basic than that. Old languaguges (like Assembler and Cobol) are uppercase. I will bet you that certain portions of systems in the NHC are Cobol, Fortran/and or Assembler.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: Maybe it's just me... [Re: jkbtrb]
      #40377 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:34 PM

Sometimes the choice is made for you about whether you evacuate or not. If you're undecided, plan for the worst, especially in case of a CAT 3 or higher. You're probably hearing a lot of this from public officials. ... Survey the immediate area where you live and secure any loose items/debris. You should evacuate to at least 30 miles inland from the coast to avoid life threatening surge, flooding and wind damage, but be careful you don't evacuate INTO the possible path of the storm. Watch out for tornadoes along feeder bands, sometimes far from the storm center. If you're in an area expecting winds over 75 mph, anticipate damage to buildings from nearby trees and other debris around your home blown around by the wind (even worse if you live in a mobile home). Plan to be without power for at least a week.
Unfortunately, this became a way of life for many of us in Florida last year. Ultimately, you have to make the decision about when and where to go; and if you go, realize you might not be able to get back to your home for several days.

We'll be praying for the best.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40701

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center