F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)
erikakane2010
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Re: 00z GFS shifts slightly west from 18z run... [Re: teal61]
      #41352 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:24 AM

Teal, this looks like a precip map. Is this just one model shifting to West??? I also agree that they should have ordered evac from Miss Coast sooner....it's alot of people to move on limited highways

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
erikakane2010
Verified CFHC User

Re: thanks ya'll [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #41353 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:26 AM

See you tomorrow Rick...take care pls

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: javlin]
      #41354 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:26 AM

Can anyone help me understand where the 85.2W came from? Am I missing something???

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: cat 4...and jogged west... [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #41355 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:26 AM

Quote:

Probably a less than good decision:

skeeto......check data.

Hurricane force winds associated with Dennis may occur as
far as 150 to 175 miles inland along the track of the hurricane.

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Frederic [Re: javlin]
      #41356 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:27 AM

Everyone keeps talking about Camille, but the track is almost identical to Frederic in 1979 that destroyed Mobile. If Dauphin Island gets a direct hit, I don't know if any builing will remain standing.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: Margie]
      #41357 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

NHC map now shows Alabama landfall.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT04/refresh/AL0405W+gif/024557W_sm.gif

I am so upset about this. The models showed this at 8am this morning, I saw it myself, and the forecast track wasn't changed until now, and MS Gulf Coast did not evacuate as many people in time as could have been convinced to evacuate. When I talked to my brother, who works for the sheriff's dept, this afternoon he said nothing about a mandatory evac order so it sounds like this was not put in place until after the 11pm advisory that changed the landfall to MOB. All the emphasis was first on FL and then today on AL. Thank goodness the eye is predicted to land to the east, even if it is too close for comfort; in a CAT 3 storm surge, about 80% of Jackson Co is under water (storm surge maps, evac maps, and evac routes are all online on the state of MS web site). If the eye lands to the west it would be a horrible horrible situation for everyone in Jackson Co.

the track has been FL/AL border all day. Alabama is just dense if they choose not to evac. people don't listen. focus on the cone, not the line.

Shan
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Re: Frederic [Re: jth]
      #41358 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:29 AM

I'm just north of D.I. in Bayou La Batre. I don't know if much of the island will be left if it sustains a direct hit.

--------------------
Shan
Bayou La Batre, AL

erikakane2010
Verified CFHC User

#41359 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:29 AM

Nite all!!! Get some rest for tomorrow....looks like a breeze will be a-blowin somewhere....luck to all in its path!!!!

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged: Wed
      #41360 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:30 AM

didn't destroy mobile...just screwed it up real bad...trees down..power out....roofs torn off...sometimes the plywood...a home wiped out here...and right next to it nothing...(had to be a down burst.)....and it was a dry hurricane too....

a cat 4 or 5 would be painful....real painful...

kissy
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Pascagoula, MS
Re: 00z GFS shifts slightly west from 18z run... [Re: erikakane2010]
      #41361 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:31 AM

Tell me about it! Since I'm in Jackson CO and didn't get the evac order until to late. There are still alot of people left in town. Have to say that this morning I was a bit ticked that we still had no solid evacuations even though mobile CO. (right next door) had been fully evaced!
Not that I would wish this monster on anyone but I hope it doesn;t hit us!

--------------------

Nothing like fishing in the middle of a hurricane! Katrina '06!

G. J.
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41362 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:31 AM

Quote:

the track has been FL/AL border all day. Alabama is just dense if they choose not to evac. people don't listen. focus on the cone, not the line.

This is a perfect example

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #41363 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:31 AM

That 12 midnight position update is a mistake..they reposted the 10pm coordinates

--Lou

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Frederic [Re: Shan]
      #41364 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:35 AM

Quote:

I'm just north of D.I. in Bayou La Batre. I don't know if much of the island will be left if it sustains a direct hit.

Shan, based on the newest Advisory I would get out now. Before traffic gets too bad.
You are in a very low place. Surge would be terrible if the eye were to come in west of Bayou La Batre'

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: recmod]
      #41365 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:35 AM

This track could change Pensacola Beach forever...Santa Rosa Island could become 4 islands if there is another storm surge like Ivan, and since the beach faces sse, this looks bad.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Doombot!
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, Fl.
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: pcola]
      #41367 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:38 AM

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: 00z GFS shifts slightly west from 18z run... [Re: kissy]
      #41368 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

Tell me about it! Since I'm in Jackson CO and didn't get the evac order until to late. There are still alot of people left in town. Have to say that this morning I was a bit ticked that we still had no solid evacuations even though mobile CO. (right next door) had been fully evaced!
Not that I would wish this monster on anyone but I hope it doesn;t hit us!

Kissy! Are you going to try to leave now? What's going on there - is everyone asleep or are things happening now like letting people know local evacuation shelters like schools? Do you think people will try to get up 63 to Hattiesburg now? If the storm tracks further west that'll flood real early, only leaving I-10 to go east or west.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: recmod]
      #41369 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

That 12 midnight position update is a mistake..they reposted the 10pm coordinates

--Lou

Thanks Lou, I was beginning to wonder what was going on.

I have around 26.9N and 85.6W.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
New Thread [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #41371 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:39 AM

New Thread is up. Please post there.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
Re: WJHG Streaming Video [Re: pcola]
      #41373 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:41 AM

Teal, I'm watching this like a hawk.... I posted several days ago I felt this could be the second coming of Fredrick, but only stronger.... looks that might be coming to fruition....

Jav, come on by, I'll be up all night and make my decision as to if we'll leave early in the am... got several options on where we can go... still got time... Just want this thing to keep east of me.. ... Fredrick was not all that bad for Biloxi and I think the eye went near the MS/AL line... this could very well happen again... I hope it doesn't get any closer than Pascagoula....

Larry Lawver

Loc: Oviedo (Seminole Cty) FL
News From Seminole County FL [Re: MikeC]
      #41386 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:57 AM

A data point for everyone north, south, east, and west of Oviedo FL in Seminole County: It's eerie quiet here...

We're located just north of the high school for those familiar with the area. We're near the top of the "L" in "Orlando" for those watching the National Weather Service Radar Image from Tampa Bay.

We had one storm band before dusk that barely rated as a normal daily rain. No lightning, no real wind. At this moment, it's cool, damp, and silent outside. It's been overcast all day, but the northwestward skittering low clouds are now gone as well.

We've had no significant weather events here during this regional crisis. Meanwhile, tropical storm events have been reported within twenty miles of here. It reminds me of the aftermath of Charley, when I was dealing with devastation at my house, and my boss who lived five miles away had no damage at all and wondered why I hadn't worked the weekend!

This all meets the higher end of my expectations, because we have not yet repaired all of the damage from Charley. We still have blue tarps over the garage and the southeast side of the house, and probably won't be finished for several more months. Our house is fragile, but it survived Francis and Jeanne without additional damage. Unfortunately, the blue tarps are aging...

There are some bands approaching from the south, and I just hope they continue to spare us.

Thanks to everyone on this board for the spirited discussions that have kept Leslee and me sane during Charley, Francis, Jeanne, and Dennis. For us, FLHurricane.com is one of the most useful places on the Internet. Unlike most Internet blogs, this one has maintained an extraordinary signal to noise ratio!

Regards,

Larry

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61833

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center