F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)
nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Clark]
      #41785 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:03 PM

I had just asked because on TWC, they showed that there was a lot of lightning around the eye, and wondered why..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Domino
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Makati City, Philippines
Re: Major Category 3 Hurricane Dennis to Landfall In the Afternoon [Re: MikeC]
      #41786 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:06 PM

Just on my way into work and was passed on the interstate in Indianapolis by 20+ power line repair trucks from Michigan heading south. Was impressive to see so many trucks from so far north headed all the way down there.

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Re: Major Category 3 Hurricane Dennis to Landfall In the Afternoon [Re: Domino]
      #41787 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:07 PM

Looks like more trouble in the next week or so with some powerful waves coming off of Africa and also a major wave in the Atlantic that is expected to gain considerable strength.

sprghill
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lake County, FL
Re: Major Category 3 Hurricane Dennis to Landfall In the Afternoon [Re: bn765]
      #41789 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:10 PM

are there any sats on the other two waves out there

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: nandav]
      #41790 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:10 PM

Well... it is just I have never seen lightning, and another poster here was reiterating the same… which is not to say it can't happen (I have only been through two afterall). Actually, I suppose it would be difficult to locate, as thunder would be most inaudible. I did read once that lightning is observed when a tropical cyclone interacts with
mountainous terrain. I am not sure why that would happen under those conditions, and this is certainly not what is causing Dennis to do it.

Eh, exploding transformers, lightning… it’s all the same.

Edited by Lysis (Sun Jul 10 2005 06:15 PM)

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
      #41791 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

Just on my way into work and was passed on the interstate in Indianapolis by 20+ power line repair trucks from Michigan heading south. Was impressive to see so many trucks from so far north headed all the way down there.

That was an amazing thing last year after Charley. Charley hit SW Florida on Friday - early Monday morning I passed a caravan of trucks from Cincinnati that were headed to Charlotte County. They came from all over.

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk City, FL
      #41793 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:14 PM

Quote:

I'm sure the people in Pensacola (who now have to cope with the Florida heat in no ac) will be glad to hear that too, Domino. Last year when Charley tore through Orlando, we had trucks from all over, including Canada and I believe Washington state. (the power guys became the local heroes)

Edit: Looks like great minds think alike KC

Edited by Big Red Machine (Sun Jul 10 2005 05:17 PM)

CentralFlorida
Weather Watcher

Loc: Port Richey FL
Re: Major Category 3 Hurricane Dennis to Landfall In the Afternoon [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #41807 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:37 PM

new post everyone

--------------------
Survived Charley, Jeanne, Frances, Ivan and my Wife

beatlesgal

Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Londovir]
      #41813 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:49 PM

I have been monitoring this storm for the past six days, and today after watching the storm approach the Pensacola, Navarre Beach area, I actually got physically sick. I really couldn't understand why I had gotten so sick. I know I have said I went through Andrew in Homestead and I remember it being extremely dangerous to the point we thought we were going to die (we were running from room to room because we lost our roof in the first part of the storm so we had to keep running around the house, each room we went into either the ceiling collapsed or something blew through the door, so we had to keep running, until we came to the last bathroom and then finally the garage because the worst part of the storm had yet to come and we need a safe place, so we got in the car in the garage). So, today I went back and looked at the historical evidence regarding the storm today. I never got a chance to back then and hadn't wanted to until today. What I never knew until today, was that the lowest observed surface pressure and area of the highest winds (with sustained winds 165 MPH and gusts over 200 MPH was located at 288st . My address at the time was 11622 sw 281 st. The point was located between 117 and 288 st. Meaning I had experienced some of the highest winds the storm had to offer. I think even to this day I experience post traumatic stress syndrome from this storm. I just thought I would pass this along just in case anyone else out there was experiencing the same thing.

erikakane2010
Verified CFHC User

Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: beatlesgal]
      #41815 - Sun Jul 10 2005 05:57 PM

Hey, yes I still get that feeling when I hear the wind scream and that's from when I was a kid and my parents rarely chose to evacuate. We had Cindy pass by (hope they re-classify it a Cat 1 cuz it surely was) and we did not board up or anything b/c we though it would pass well east and it would not be anything. Around 2am, that NOTHING spawned tornadoes and scared me to the point of being physically ill when the winds blew. I feel for anyone that gets any storm, but Dennis sure packed a punch. Is anyone posting from Pensacola Beach/Navarre area???

Lysis
User

Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: erikakane2010]
      #41818 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:11 PM

Hey, beatlesgal ... look for your street in this picture:
I lived on 218 street at the time, in the Redlands...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gifs/1992andy.JPG

--------------------
cheers

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
New Thread [Re: Lysis]
      #41819 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:19 PM

New Thread posted. Please post there. Thanks.

starwise

Re: Dennis' Landfall + ANDREW [Re: beatlesgal]
      #41828 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:39 PM

I know the feeling .. it does make you sick. I call it flashback anxiety. I've had it every hurricane season since Andrew .. I could crawl under the bed in a fetal position. And I've come to HATE THE WIND ... I HATE it!! My insides just turn to jello.

Thank you for that view of Andrew .. I've never seen it ... I was 5 mins. from Homestead Air Force Base -- 280 St. and 157th Ave., Naranja Lakes .. didn't have a chance. Across the street were 5 mobile home communities, so all that sheet metal peeled off and ended up as a lethal hazards everywhere. Even experienced pilots who had flown in Viet NAM bringing us our salvation and food said it was worse than what they'd seen in Viet Nam. That's where the bomb went off, and where the most deaths in one development occurred.

30% of the Homestead population moved out after Andrew .. big chunk of the population.

After last season's terrors, where I had located after Andrew east of Tampa, I finally cracked ... fell apart .. had to get out after 30+ years, and I'm SO grateful I don't ever have to face these again. It becomes a wound you carry with you forever. I'll take winter and snow gladly.

I pray for the folks suffering there today ... may God bless them .. what they're facing now is pure heartbreak.. especially after last year, but when you have your life, you have everything .. the rest comes with time. Take care.

Star .. in Chicago

Lysis
User

Re: Dennis' Landfall + ANDREW [Re: starwise]
      #41844 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:35 PM

Ok, I know I am not supposed to post here... but I just want to aknowledge starwise's post, as it strikes so close to home with me. Respect the wind, everyone.

I don't see a problem with that

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Storm Cooper (Sun Jul 10 2005 07:37 PM)

beatlesgal

Re: Dennis' Landfall [Re: Lysis]
      #41854 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:01 PM

This is where we were in Hurricane Andrew!

http://www.geocities.com/imabeatleslover/Andrewinfo.html

Beatles
Unregistered

Re: Dennis' Landfall and Andrew [Re: Lysis]
      #41929 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:10 PM

Sorry, I posted a bad link previously...

http://www.geocities.com/imabeatleslover/andrewlocation1.JPG

Like I said, I don't think you could get any more closer to a direct hit!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 93780

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center