F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #41829 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:43 PM

98 between Destin and FWB is under water. If you have been down in that area you will see why.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starwise

Reged: Sun
To Beatlesgal- ANDREW [Re: craigm]
      #41830 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:48 PM

I know the feeling .. it does make you sick. I call it flashback anxiety. I've had it every hurricane season since Andrew .. I could crawl under the bed in a fetal position. And I've come to HATE THE WIND ... I HATE it!! My insides just turn to jello. I've been glued to this storm for the last 3 days .. almost non-stop.

Thank you for that view of Andrew .. I've never seen it ...and it's horrible to see again how fearsome it was .. a Cat. 5!

I was 5 mins. from Homestead Air Force Base -- 280 St. and 157th Ave., Naranja Lakes .. didn't have a chance. Across the street were 5 mobile home communities, so all that sheet metal peeled off and ended up as a lethal hazards everywhere. Even experienced pilots who had flown in Viet NAM bringing us our salvation and food said it was worse than what they'd seen in Viet Nam. That's where the bomb went off, and where the most deaths in one development occurred.

I was homeless, and lived at 6 different places in 6 weeks .. until I got based in a house in Leisure City that survived ... so I could salvage for about the next 6 months (had friends I was helping salvage two of their devastated homes, too).

30% of the Homestead population moved out after Andrew .. big chunk of the population.

After last season's terrors, where I had located after Andrew east of Tampa, I finally cracked ... fell apart .. had to get out after 30+ years, and I'm SO grateful I don't ever have to face these again. It becomes a wound you carry with you forever. I'll take winter and snow gladly.

I pray for the folks suffering there today ... may God bless them .. what they're facing now is pure heartbreak.. especially after last year, but when you have your life, you have everything .. the rest comes with time. Take care.

Star .. in Chicago

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: craigm]
      #41831 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:49 PM

Quote:

Lysis, you bring up a great point.Here in Martin County we went through the eyewall of Frances and Jeanne and the power went out at about 45 mph during Frances but stayed on until around 70mph during Jeanne we think to the same things you are referring to, Frances pruning everything and then FPL upgrading all the damaged areas.

I agree wholeheartedly guys. Hurricanes like Ivan and Frances acted much like the brushfires set by firefighters during wildfire season, they cleared out the clutter that had built up in the previous lull of hurricane activity (older, unhealthy trees; outdated roofs; etc).

In Orlando we got hit by C, F, and J, last year, and by the time we got to Jeanne, we just weren't seeing much damage. Newer buildings fair quite well in these storms, the post-Andrew building code is terrific.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #41832 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:52 PM

I have spoken to my parents in the Marianna area and they were to the east of the storm north of Panama City. They said the rain is pretty thick at times and they did get wind. There are of course the usual flood potentials because of previous rains and the Chattahoochee and Blountstown Rivers routinely flood after large storms. All in All it was a definite "God" thing that this storm decided to wind down as it made landfall. That is not to say that people in general will not suffer from costs for emergency management. People who due to finances and other reasons are forced to live in sub-standard housing for hurricanes are suffering in shelters. All in All a terrible storm has been less terrible than it could have been for Florida due to fine forecasting and the willingness of people to act on good advanced notice.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

toemastergeneral

Loc: Gulf Breeze, FL
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #41833 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:53 PM

Just got a call from my neighbor and there is an old oak tree lying across my playroom. No power right now in Gulf Breeze Proper. I will head back tomorrow to assess the damage. Just got my new roof from Ivan's aftermath about three months ago.

--------------------
No biz like toe biz!

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
      #41834 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:54 PM

Hey guys, hope any of you in the path of Dennis have escaped the worst. He weakened quite rapidly prior to landfall, which was of course a good thing. The timing of the ERC was just right to benefit anywhere in his path, in that he had weakened and couldnt restrengthen really. Also a good thing was the fact that the highest winds, and those of Hurricane force, were limited to within just 40 to 50 miles of the centre. Still looks like the worst has not yet been felt though. The worst being the likely flooding to come later in the week when Dennis stalls out over the Ohio / Mississippi Valleys. Could really cause a few problems later this week with some pretty major flooding.

The other news of course is our little system out in the central Atlantic. Looks like it will become TD5 within the next 24 hours. Models have been picking up on this in the past day or two. It is a potential headache for the western Caribbean once again.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Storm Cooper
User

Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #41835 - Sun Jul 10 2005 06:54 PM

Everyone involved "lucked out" with Dennis all the way around. I still have 20-25 mph winds here but it is looking better.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

birdwomn

Loc: Tampa Bay, FL
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: toemastergeneral]
      #41836 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:03 PM

Where abouts in Gulf Breeze do you live? My brother lives there as well and I am trying to get an idea of how the houses in his neighborhood did. He is out near the WalMart.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #41838 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:18 PM

Yes, let's give credit where credit is due ... a definite "God" thing, good forecasting, good preparation, but still something we would never wish on anyone. All I know is that we left home this morning for church and prayed that people would be spared the catastrophic damage of a major hurricane, and that Dennis would weaken before hitting land (presumably like many others across the nation). With Dennis at a cat IV and talk of the strongest storm to possibly hit the area in over 36 years, it is nothing short of miraculous that the situation isn't worse. I'll echo the sentiment of others here, Thank God!

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Nate
Weather Watcher

Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: RevUp]
      #41839 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:23 PM

Torriental Downpours are going to be the biggest problem.. CNN is shoing alot of slooding in St. Marks, FLA.

Even with all the Tornado Warnings, there has only been 1 confirmed touchdown and that was in an open field in Florida off Route 132. I say once again, everyone was lucky here.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: toemastergeneral]
      #41840 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:26 PM

Quote:

Just got a call from my neighbor and there is an old oak tree lying across my playroom. No power right now in Gulf Breeze Proper. I will head back tomorrow to assess the damage. Just got my new roof from Ivan's aftermath about three months ago.

OK - you had to wait 7 mos to get a new roof, finally got it, and 3 mos later Dennis causes a tree to fall on it? You are a lot calmer about it than I could manage to be!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: Nate]
      #41841 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:29 PM

Quote:

..."shoing alot of slooding"...

?

Not sure what it means, but it sounds kind of interesting.

Maybe it's time to take a nap if you were up all night!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Nate
Weather Watcher

Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: Margie]
      #41842 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:30 PM

Well With the Storm winding down, I may be signing off.

Im glad everyone here made it thru this, and hope everything goes good.

Thanks again for the Links.

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Space Coast
      #41845 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:36 PM

Hwy 98 between Destin and FWB tends to flood during every storm. Inconvenient, but not unexpected. We're all breathing a huge sigh of relief right now. Aside from the streamlining of potential debris courtesy of Ivan, the forward speed of this storm spared us an extended duration of hurricane force winds. While power is out in my neighborhood, many of the folks I spoke to still had electricity. Definitely better news than I expected to hear earlier today! I'll be spending the next day or two reclaiming my sanity as I await the Air Force's recall order.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #41846 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:37 PM

A question from a non-techie (that is, me).

It seemed from the radar that the hurricane looked very much the same even as it was making landfall, that is, it seemed there were high winds in the hurricane, but somehow it seemed that they didn't make it to the ground.

If that is the case, how does that happen? I mean, in weather terms. What does it mean in terms of calibrating the hurricane's intensity? I'm assuming it would still matter if it could be seen from radar, even if it couldn't be felt from the ground. And would there be any way to find out if this is happening so you'd know that the intensity on the ground was going to be less.

--------------------

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
done? [Re: Nate]
      #41847 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:39 PM

well, i know it isn't as dramatic.. but when this sucker slows down near the ohio/mississippi confluence later this week Dennis is still going to be causing big problems. wouldn't be surprised if places up there get fifteen or better inches by friday... though it's been really dry up there since the spring.
HF 0039z11july

BLTizzle
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Eufaula, AL
Re: done? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41848 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:41 PM

I've been away from my computer for a while and I'm wondering what those of us in the Tuscaloosa area can expect for tonight. We are roughly 30 miles WSW of Birmingham for those that don't know. Thanks!!!

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: Margie]
      #41849 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:46 PM

No tech here either,
I'm wondering if it is a function of the % of the feeder bands located over land and not absorbing ocean heat. Maybe one of the mets could speak about this?

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: craigm]
      #41851 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:54 PM

I thought the same thing ref to the large expanse of feeder bands that were already spread over the rest of Florida and Northward and very little left over the Gulf waters. Something strange was going on with Dennis as he approached landfall. Perhaps an act of God.

laxpimpj
Verified CFHC User

Re: Dennis Aftermath [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #41852 - Sun Jul 10 2005 07:55 PM

It certainly didn't end up as bad as I thought it would.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 21273

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center