F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: 5 AM Update [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #42703 - Wed Jul 13 2005 12:24 PM

Yesterday afternoon, I think the MM5 showed 3 systems at 120 hrs - Emily in the SW GOM, "Franklin" to the East of the Windwards, and "Gert" in the Tropical Atlantic. Is this a viable scenario? Is it unprecidented? Just curious.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
EMS
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Re: 5 AM Update [Re: BullitNutz]
      #42704 - Wed Jul 13 2005 12:37 PM

Recon suggests Emily is significantly weaker than estimated.

URNT12 KNHC 131212
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 13/11:47:50Z
B. 11 deg 12 min N
057 deg 25 min W
C. 850 mb 1458 m
D. 45 kt
E. 325 deg 022 nm
F. 056 deg 041 kt
G. 324 deg 020 nm
H. 1003 mb
I. 17 C/ 1524 m
J. 19 C/ 1521 m
K. 17 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 12345/ 8
O. 0.31 / 6 nm
P. AF304 0105A EMILY OB 07
MAX FL WIND 41 KT NW QUAD 11:41:40 Z
POOR RADAR PRESENTATION

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Ryan]
      #42705 - Wed Jul 13 2005 12:51 PM

If Emily is still a viable storm and than hits Yucatan, it can work its way around the periphery of the ridge and hit the north Gulf coast- i don't know about the western part of Florida other than the panhandle (again)

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Terra]
      #42706 - Wed Jul 13 2005 01:00 PM

Quote:

...otherwise, landfall is eminent.

Mount Rushmore is eminent. The NY skyline is eminent. People like Clark, MikeC, HankFrank etc are eminent meterological resources on this board.

If Emily is about to hit land, then landfall is imminent.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Margie]
      #42707 - Wed Jul 13 2005 01:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

...otherwise, landfall is eminent.

Mount Rushmore is eminent. The NY skyline is eminent. People like Clark, MikeC, HankFrank etc are eminent meterological resources on this board.

Whut due you mean buy that? LOL

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Emily Moves West Other Disturbances Are Being Watched Also [Re: MikeC]
      #42708 - Wed Jul 13 2005 01:25 PM

If Emily crosses the Yucatan, could she turn north and end up hitting the upper Texas coast?

Katie
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Launch [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #42710 - Wed Jul 13 2005 01:39 PM

I know this is totally off subject but, those of you here in Florida...don't forget to look to the skies this afternoon. The launch is suppose to be at 3:51 p.m.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Margie]
      #42712 - Wed Jul 13 2005 01:46 PM

Quote:

That's why I majored in chemistry... Seriously though, thanks for the comment. I absoutely cannot stand homonym errors and was unaware imminent was a homonym (or misspelled).

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Launch [Re: Katie]
      #42713 - Wed Jul 13 2005 01:48 PM

Just in time for our daily thunderstorm....

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
emily/yucatan [Re: nandav]
      #42714 - Wed Jul 13 2005 02:19 PM

I will be very upset if Playa Del Carmen gets hit.I still have many good friends there.Some of them have sent me emails asking if I want a visit from them ,say........This Monday.All the Corona ads you see are filmed there.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

devgirl00

Reged:
Re: analog for emily? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #42715 - Wed Jul 13 2005 02:22 PM

hey yall, i'm new. forgive me for my lack of understanding -- i'm here to learn more than anything.

is it true, at least it seems to me, that the Big Ones are the Cape Verde storms. Why would that be?

If I'm in the wrong forum, let me know and I'll move.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: analog for emily? [Re: devgirl00]
      #42716 - Wed Jul 13 2005 02:31 PM

Simply put, Cape Verde storms travel across the entire north atlantic, and are given alot of time and space to develop.

--------------------
cheers

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Emily Moves West Other Disturbances Are Being Watched Also [Re: MikeC]
      #42717 - Wed Jul 13 2005 02:51 PM

11 am potential track maps for TS Emily out at www.wunderground.com

Are these the same forecasts we see on the left hand column of this site? They look a bit different ...

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: analog for emily? [Re: devgirl00]
      #42718 - Wed Jul 13 2005 02:55 PM

Just to add to Lysis's point longer period of travel while the below is taking place:

All hurricanes form from preexisting cloud clusters. Somehow though these clusters need to start spining. More importantly however, where do the clouds come from? Well, the clouds for the most part form along a line of convergence known as the Intertropical Convergence Zone, or ITCZ. Here the air converges and is lifted up to form clouds. You may have heard of the ITCZ referred to as the monsoon trough. The monsoon trough is only one type of ITCZ though, there are two types, a trade wind and a monsoon ITCZ. Besides these troughs thunderstorm clusters can form in a multitude of other ways, such as the easterly waves that come off Africa, and along the southern ends of stalled midlatitude fronts. The easterly waves that come from Africa form along the ITCZ there and then migrate off the coast working their way across the Atlantic and then into the Pacific. Along the way they may form into a hurricane in either ocean basin. The ITCZ migrates north and south throughout the year roughly between 20 degrees north and 20 south, although its average position is 5 degrees north. The trough is found in the summer hemisphere and serves as a region of convergence. Those basins that were mentioned to have two peaks of formation have those because the trough makes two passes through those regions, once heading north, the other heading south. To form a hurricane these cloud clusters must persist for a long period of time, generally serveral days. Those systems that persist for long periods of time tend to generate a MCV (mesoscale convective vortex). This is a warm core vortex that forms in the altostratus deck of the system somewhere around 300 to 700 millibars. Below this vortex the system often has a cold core. Remember, cold here is relative, by cold we may mean the core is 30 degrees C while the surroundings are 31 degrees C or something to that effect. Now, somehow in hurricane development this vortex migrates to the surface and turns the surface into a warm core system. How this transition is made is one of the major unknown areas of hurricane formation. However, once the core is at the surface it is now in a position to tap into the oceanic latent heat energy. Not all MCV's turn into hurricanes and much research still goes into determining what differentiates forming from non-forming MCV's. The ITCZ is also a source of spin up. Winds approach it from different directions at the surface and these differences help to start cloud cluster rotation. This spin mechanism is also found at the ends of stalled fronts and in easterly waves.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Thunder
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #42719 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:02 PM

What he said...

BullitNutz
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: analog for emily? [Re: Terra]
      #42720 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:02 PM

I happen to have, well, not quite a front row seat, but close enough: 5th floor (roof) of the South parking garage at the UCF Orlando campus. Last time I saw a launch, it was at night, and we were able to hear the roar of the boosters, see the Eastern sky light up, and then see the shuttle rise on a huge tongue of flame.

Since it's a day launch, the shuttle's sound will probably be lost in the noise clutter of a university in full swing. The visuals should be just as breathtaking though.

DrewC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Auburndale, FL
Re: 5 AM Update [Re: Wingman51]
      #42721 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:03 PM

Wingman, a few years back, there were 5 storms lined up in the Atlantic at one time. I believe it was 1997, but the years all blur together after a while. The satellite image of all five in a perfect row was my computer's desktop for years.

Drew

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: 5 AM Update [Re: DrewC]
      #42722 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:13 PM

i am not sure, but i believe it was sept of 96

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: analog for emily? [Re: BullitNutz]
      #42723 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:18 PM

I have to say I'm relieved with Emily's forecasted path...I was sweating about my trip to Chicago. Leaving today and coming back Monday. Looks like I'll get to enjoy my vacation as planned! I'll probably be back in time for Franklin's debut, LOL.
I hope things work out and the shuttle can take off as planned. We usually watch it from Lake Hollingsworth (I like in Lakeland, FL) but I think the storms will be coming inland at the time of liftoff, so I'll just watch it on TV! Can't believe the cockpit window fell off and hit some of those tiles!
I'm sure it will be a safe takeoff and I'll be keeping the crew in my thoughts and prayers.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: analog for emily? [Re: BullitNutz]
      #42724 - Wed Jul 13 2005 03:19 PM

Yeah I work at the Stennis Space Center where we test and certify all the Shuttle liquid propellant engines (SSME).. we'll be watching the NASA link today for the launch... needless to say, we're ready to get back in the space travel business... there is anxiety however as with every launch... space travel is a VERY risky business to say the least and anyone to say otherwise is clueless.... I'm in the safety business I think that qualifies me to comment accordingly... hopefully the weather will not be an issue as our window of opportunity for launch today is not very long... the feeling at the site today is this perhaps should be the safest launch in history..

It takes an incredible amount of courage to do what the astronauts do...

good luck and god speed Discovery

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40228

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center