F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
gailwarning
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Satellite Beach FL
Re: Lightning Question [Re: BobVee]
      #43334 - Fri Jul 15 2005 11:14 PM

Quote:

A lot of people are injured or killed by lightning when the lightning strikes a nearby object. Secondary paths are opened up as well and discharge occurs simultaneously with the main strike.

When I was about 10 yrs old I was running home during a storm and lightning hit a metal trash can about 25 feet from me- baBOOM! I don't remember feeling any physical sensation-besides the terror that is- I guess it just wasn't my time.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Emily Category 4, Hurricane Warnings up for Jamaica [Re: danielw]
      #43336 - Fri Jul 15 2005 11:20 PM

Quote:

Emily continues pressure fall. Latest Vortex message is indicating Emily's pressure is down to 954mb.

Update:
Clark has a new post in the Resident Meteorologist Discussions forum.
There are several new forums that Mike has created.
Foreceast Lounge
Hurricane Ask/Tell old Question and Answer forum
Blogger Discussion

How do you find other forums?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Emily Category 4, Hurricane Warnings up for Jamaica [Re: Margie]
      #43337 - Fri Jul 15 2005 11:23 PM

on this site look to the left then click on forum. as far as other web site forums theres storm2k.org, hardcore weather and so on and so on. this ones the best though!

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Emily Discussion [Re: gailwarning]
      #43338 - Fri Jul 15 2005 11:24 PM

Excerpt from the 11 PM EDT Dicussion on Hurricane Emily.

...THE FLIGHT LEVEL DATA ALSO INDICATE DOUBLE
WIND MAXIMA AT ABOUT 8 AND 50 NMI...SUGGESTING CONCENTRIC
EYEWALLS...SO A REPLACEMENT CYCLE COULD OCCUR WITHIN THE NEXT
SEVERAL HOURS. HOWEVER...WE ARE NOT ABLE TO FORECAST SUCH
STRUCTURAL CHANGES...SO I WILL KEEP THE FORECAST INTENSITY AT 115
KT THROUGH THE NEXT 48 HOURS WHILE EMILY IS OVER THE INCREASINGLY
WARM WATERS OF THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. THE INTENSITY COULD OF
COURSE FLUCTUATE QUITE A BIT DURING THIS PERIOD...WHICH IS COMMON
IN MAJOR HURRICANES. ...

Complete Discussion can be located by clicking the map at left

danielwAdministrator

New Forums [Re: Margie]
      #43339 - Fri Jul 15 2005 11:26 PM

All Forums can be found here:
http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/ubbthreads.php

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Baton Rouge, La
Re: New Forums [Re: danielw]
      #43342 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:02 AM

It sure is quiet in here tonight!

Weather Guru

Re: New Forums [Re: KimmieL]
      #43343 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:04 AM

It gets real busy in here when we got one headed to fl.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: New Forums [Re: KimmieL]
      #43344 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:06 AM

Yep Emiy is on the southerly track, so it tends to be quiet. That and it's not really doing any wild cane uncertainty, this one is following the track well. If the southerly track holds into Mexico, which I'm believing it will. Then it will be slower than usual here.

This is still above normal for July.

rdcrds
Unregistered

Re: New Forums [Re: MikeC]
      #43345 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:11 AM

ya unless there is doom and gloom for someone many dont post since its really not about the storms it is about the excitement fo seeing a storm heading right for someone to ruin there life.

If you say im wrong read here long enough and you will see the posts of IT'S GOING NORTH when in fact all it is a eye wall replacement.

Many on here are good but a few and they know who they are thrive on posting about a large storm heading right for someone.

Edit: Things are slow here because this is the Central Florida Hurricane Center. While many here post from outside of the region, a good majority of posters here are from Florida. Since the storm is not affecting Florida at this time, plus that we've already had a pretty active season and many are likely burned out already, plus that it is a Friday night, things should be pretty slow around here. For one, I'm glad they are! Further, any movement north is movement north, no matter the cause, and with model guidance previously trending northward and synoptic conditions that would support that coming into play, being mindful of the situation is prudent. If you have any qualms with any posters, please send them a private message. Thanks. --Clark

Edited by Clark (Sat Jul 16 2005 01:49 AM)

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

Re: New Forums [Re: MikeC]
      #43346 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:12 AM

Thanks guys! Thought I was all by my lonesome there for awhile! Enjoy this site and all the personalities immensely. Have learned a lot, but have tons more to learn. I was wondering about the concentric eyewalls, what exactly is that?

Weather Guru

Re: New Forums [Re: rdcrds]
      #43347 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:15 AM

A little harsh arent you?

danielwAdministrator

Concentric Eyewalls [Re: KimmieL]
      #43348 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks guys! Thought I was all by my lonesome there for awhile! Enjoy this site and all the personalities immensely. Have learned a lot, but have tons more to learn. I was wondering about the concentric eyewalls, what exactly is that?

A rare occurence. They are somewhat of a Hurricane metamorphosis. Eye contracts to a very small diameter. A second, larger diameter eyewall forms, the original eyewall collapses and the second eyewall begins contracting. Over time it may become as small as the original eyewall.
Hurricane Dennis was completing, or had just completed an Eyewall Replacement Cycle prior to hitting Florida. Dennis didn't get a chance to 'spin back up' and increase his wind speed and drop his pressure. Had he done so. The probability that Dennis would have done much more destruction. Would have been much higher.
Both in the area size and damage intensity.

Edited by danielw (Sat Jul 16 2005 12:40 AM)

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Concentric Eyewalls [Re: danielw]
      #43350 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

A rare occurence. They are somewhat of a Hurricane metamorphosis. Eye contracts to a very small diameter. A second, larger diameter eyewall forms, the original eyewall collapses and the second eyewall begins contracting. Over time it may become as small as the original eyewall.
Hurricane Dennis was completing, or had just completed an Eyewall Replacement Cycle prior to hitting Florida. Dennis didn't get a chance to 'spin back up' and increase his wind speed and drop his pressure. Had he done so. The probability that Dennis would have done much more destruction. Would have been much higher.
Both in the area size and damage intensity.

Daniel isn't that the exact same thing that Ivan did last season before it hit sw AL ?

I believe so. I'll see if I can find the data.~danielw

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Edited by danielw (Sat Jul 16 2005 12:41 AM)

drcrazibob
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Daytona Beach, Fl
Re: New Forums [Re: rdcrds]
      #43351 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

ya unless there is doom and gloom for someone many dont post since its really not about the storms it is about the excitement fo seeing a storm heading right for someone to ruin there life.

If you say im wrong read here long enough and you will see the posts of IT'S GOING NORTH when in fact all it is a eye wall replacement.

Many on here are good but a few and they know who they are thrive on posting about a large storm heading right for someone.

C'mon man... That's not cool to say. Have a little respect will ya?

Bob

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
      #43352 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:40 AM

It's also Friday night, after midnight. Most folks are out or asleep. There's not too much to be added to the current conversation, so most regulars are simply lurking... myself included.

I spend most of my time on other things, and come here for info about active storms. I'd suspect that I'm not alone in this behavior.

danielwAdministrator

Lurking [Re: tpratch]
      #43353 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:42 AM

As opposed to last Friday Night. I, for one, am glad to be Just lurking.

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Lurking [Re: danielw]
      #43354 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:45 AM

I'll take a quiet night in Florida over many weekends from last year anytime!

danielwAdministrator

Re: Concentric Eyewalls [Re: HCW]
      #43355 - Sat Jul 16 2005 12:52 AM

Quote:

Daniel isn't that the exact same thing that Ivan did last season before it hit sw AL ?

Looking at the data from Hurricane Research Division.
Ivan may have been in an ERC.
I do remember about three hours prior to landfall. Ivan ingested some drier air on the SW Quadrant. This could possibly be due to the ERC trapping a pocket of dry air during it's evolution and rotation around the center.
This was visible on both the Mobile and Slidell NWS radar sites.
http://coastal.er.usgs.gov/hurricanes/ivan/images/ivan-radarLG.gif
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mob/cgi-bin/imag...an-animated.gif

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mob/ivan_page/Ivan-main.htm

...Despite the unfavorable environmental conditions, the presence of cooler shelf water just offshore and eyewall replacement cycles, Ivan weakened only slowly and made landfall as a 105 kt hurricane (category 3 on the SSHS; see Figure 2c and Figure 3b.) at approximately 0650 UTC 16 September, just west of Gulf Shores, Alabama...(from paragraph 7~danielw)
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/2004ivan.shtml?text

Edited by danielw (Sat Jul 16 2005 01:08 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
      #43356 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:11 AM

Quote:

I do remember about three hours prior to landfall. Ivan ingested some drier air on the SW Quadrant.

Mainly what I remember about Ivan is that it only made that turn to the east at the very very last minute...causing me to worry no end about my brother in MS. If it hadn't turned it would have hit the MS/AL state line.. As it was they still got some pretty nifty winds in Pascagoula that night. Power was out but my brother called me as promised on his cell when they finally told him that it was time for all the deputies to get off the streets and find the nearest safe place to hunker down (this was just as they started getting hurricane force winds), and then he called me again around 1 or 2 am I think to let me know they were getting the high winds and what it was like.

I was monitoring the buoy info in the gulf and the next morning found the highest wave height on a buoy south of Dauphin Island. It was over 30 feet, and that is something for an area where water isn't shallow.

EDIT: I may be wrong but it seems like actually the wave height was around 50 ft.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Sat Jul 16 2005 01:18 AM)

KimmieL
Weather Watcher

#43357 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:27 AM

Thanks DanielW....I had one of those "Ahhhhh...I got it" moments!

Kimmie

I do that a lot too!~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sat Jul 16 2005 01:38 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 595 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 29867

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center