F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: special statement [Re: nl]
      #43425 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:38 PM

Clever little minx - she's getting smaller (observe overall surface area on sat images between 10:45 and 16:15 UTC).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: special statement [Re: Margie]
      #43426 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:47 PM

Winds up to 155 at 2pm 937mb

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Edited by HCW (Sat Jul 16 2005 01:48 PM)

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Israel
Other Cyclone [Re: Margie]
      #43427 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:48 PM

Another interesting thing going on is the Super Typhoon Haitang. It is a Cat 5 right now. Quite interesting that we have two incredibly powerful cyclones opposite each other in the world right now.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Israel
Re: special statement [Re: HCW]
      #43428 - Sat Jul 16 2005 01:48 PM

Quote:

Winds up to 155 at 2pm 937mb

It dropped 6 mbs in 3 hours. Wow. Strengthening rapidly still.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Biowatch
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: biowatch are you around? [Re: Margie]
      #43429 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:01 PM

Margie......thanks for the notes.......have been busy calling Mexico.....finally reached the organization through a website.......and they did return my call (from a site in Penn). They are moving the group tomorrow morning by bus from the eastern part to Merida.....more on the western side. Still seems risky, but at least it is a move. Hurricane intensifying is not comforting......Hoping that tomorrow is not too late as well.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: biowatch are you around? [Re: Biowatch]
      #43432 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:11 PM

Should be due for an EWRC soon.... hopefully that will put a stop to this mad strengthening....

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: biowatch are you around? [Re: Terra]
      #43434 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:15 PM

Quote:

Should be due for an EWRC soon.... hopefully that will put a stop to this mad strengthening....

and then what it comes back as a 170 -175 mph cane in 12 hours ?

not sure how that's good

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Terra
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: biowatch are you around? [Re: HCW]
      #43436 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:20 PM

It doesn't have to though... the weakening phase is a good thing, and then perhaps conditions will change and not allow it to restrengthen.... Seems like there's at least a chance to me, rather than purely intensifying...

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: biowatch are you around? [Re: Biowatch]
      #43437 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:31 PM

Quote:

Margie......thanks for the notes.......have been busy calling Mexico.....finally reached the organization through a website.......and they did return my call (from a site in Penn). They are moving the group tomorrow morning by bus from the eastern part to Merida.....more on the western side. Still seems risky, but at least it is a move. Hurricane intensifying is not comforting......Hoping that tomorrow is not too late as well.

Merida looks to be the largest city in the Yucatan, with some fancy hotels, freeways, an airport - and all on the west side of the Yucatan, but not on the coast. Looks very, very safe. I don't think you need to worry any more.

Encarta map:

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701517806/Yucat%C3%A1n_(state_Mexico).html

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Biowatch
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: biowatch are you around? [Re: Margie]
      #43438 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:36 PM

Margie......thanks again. I do feel more relaxed and will save the links that you listed for me. I think my daughter is a hurricane magnet.......this is not the first time we have been in this situation....although this one is harder to deal with. Funny, because I am the hurricane watcher and she has no interest in them!

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: special statement [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #43439 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:50 PM

Well would you look at that? The Jamaican land mass didn't affect her that much, the core got smaller, and son of a gun if a band of colder cloud tops wrapping quickly around the western side isn't filling in the circular shape nicely. I thought something was happening a couple of hours ago - looking at the water vapor it seemed like the outflow hit a bit of a wall - at around 82W on a N-S line but I guess that wasn't anything, and I'm just not that good at reading the maps yet. Guess that warm water she's been going over is really helping things along.

I had always thought she'd go to a CAT 5 today, but I had envisioned the big strengthening happening later this aft and into this evng.

Not looking so good for Cozumel and Cancun, but the roller coaster ride of intensity could mean Emily won't be this powerful at landfall. Looks like the minimum will be a strong CAT 3 though.

--------------------

nl
Storm Tracker

Loc: nsb,fl
Re: special statement [Re: Margie]
      #43440 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:53 PM

what bout the wave ne of her?

Todd
Weather Watcher

Loc: Havelock, NC(34.89n76.92w)
Re: Other Cyclone [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #43441 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:54 PM

If I were in the Caymans and Cozumel, I would definitely get off the island.

MIkeG
Unregistered

Re: Other Cyclone [Re: Todd]
      #43442 - Sat Jul 16 2005 02:56 PM

the met service in jamica is taking screen shots with a digital camera of emily...take a look

http://www.metservice.gov.jm/Emily2.jpg

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Other Cyclone [Re: MIkeG]
      #43443 - Sat Jul 16 2005 03:14 PM

well been watching emily with the RSO vis and have to say....WOW...haven't seen anything like this since Ivan....the pictures (sat shots) are......WOW.......the eye stadium effect is pretty kewl.....i can't wait to see what NASA will have in the next day or so of emily...i wouldn't want to be in cancun this weekend... and looks like we may have the first cat 5 soon...(or second as some folks say)

here's a pea at a shot
http://hadar.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/data/rmtcrso/126.jpg

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Emily Gets Stronger [Re: MikeC]
      #43444 - Sat Jul 16 2005 03:15 PM

Emily may reach Cat 5 status. Have there been other storms that reached Cat 5 in July?

Weather experts:

Do you think the storms may just be forming early this year and during the normal "peak season" there will be fewer storms? Are do you think the tropics will continue to be active throughout the season?

Allison
Weather Guru

Loc: Laredo, Texas
Re: Emily Gets Stronger [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #43445 - Sat Jul 16 2005 03:19 PM

Quote:

Emily may reach Cat 5 status. Have there been other storms that reached Cat 5 in July??

Lou answered this earlier in the thread -- here's his response:

Quote:

The earliest Cat 5 recorded was 1980's Hurricane Allen, which reached Cat 5 intensity on 00Z August 5. At this point ,the storm had winds of 160mph with a central pressure of 911mb.

Allison

--------------------
Allison

nowhammies
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: notice eye [Re: MIkeG]
      #43446 - Sat Jul 16 2005 03:20 PM

Quote:

Can you not tell by the lack of posts? since no big doom and gloom for the US its a non event to some.

Sounds to me as if you have quite an issue with the people that post here. Please remember - we are all REAL human beings with feelings. I for one do not appreciate the fact that my concern for others ends when a storm leaves the borders of FL. I live in Central FL and went through the storms and recovery last year. This makes me a bit gun-shy and a bit more concerned as I see, or hear, possibilities that storms may affect me. IN NO WAY does that make storms that do not appear to affect me a non-issue. I have friends that like all around the GOM basin, including contacts from other organizations that live in other countries. I am very concerned aboput them as well. My prayers are as much with them as they are for my own town when we appear to be in the cross hairs.

True many of us do not post as much when a storm turns elsewhere, but that has much more to do with the fear for our own safety subsiding and allowing us the ability to watch and learn from those who are much more knowledgeable about these storms then we are.

I realize that this comment would be better directed to PM but since you are unregistered I could not do that.

Thanks again to everyone here (and that would be just about all of you) who know more about these incredible storms than I do. You willingness to provide information to me ad everyone else has helped me develop a true healthy respect for these storms.

Allison
Weather Guru

Loc: Laredo, Texas
Eyewall Replacement Cycle [Re: Terra]
      #43447 - Sat Jul 16 2005 03:23 PM

I was wondering about this as Dennis made landfall last weekend, and now it's coming up again with Emily:

What is the average time in between EWRC's? And how long after completion of an EWRC does the intensity peak before the next replacement cycle begins?

Thanks!

--------------------
Allison

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Loc: Texas
Re: Emily Gets Stronger [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #43448 - Sat Jul 16 2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

Emily may reach Cat 5 status. Have there been other storms that reached Cat 5 in July?

Nope. Earlier in this post or the previous one someone asked and the reply was that the earliest recorded Cat 5 was Allen in 1980 who became a Cat 5 on Aug 5th. And came ashore just south of the Mexico- US border .... almost exactly where Emily is supposed to be heading...

'shana

lol @ Allison Great minds and all that!

Edited by ShanaTX (Sat Jul 16 2005 03:26 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37881

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center