F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
meto
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Re: Model's [Re: Ron Basso]
      #47375 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:33 PM

as i posted, the 11 am discusion said track would likely shift more west and south. on the 5 pm advisory.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Todd
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Havelock, NC(34.89n76.92w)
Re: Model's [Re: meto]
      #47376 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:37 PM

NRL has latest track out now #25

none
Unregistered

Re: Model's [Re: Todd]
      #47380 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:41 PM

Do you think you give give out a link for that todd? thanks!

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

#47382 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:42 PM

Ron:

The 12Z run is 8am EST, I believe. So that model was incorporated into the NHC's 11 am forecast; it does not represent a model shift SINCE that forecast (or since 8 am).

MapMaster
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: What will they say at 5pm [Re: LoisCane]
      #47383 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:46 PM

As I said, time and data can change my mind....I now think Irene, the fighter, will continue with us and possibly become a threat somewhere....se coast to points north.

Satellite presentation is improving....

MM

Todd
Weather Watcher

Loc: Havelock, NC(34.89n76.92w)
Re: Model's [Re: none]
      #47384 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:47 PM

It's the NRL Monterey .. FYI..the good links are near the bottom of the main page.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
      #47385 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:48 PM

5:00 discussion out:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/at200509.disc.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Deltona, FL
      #47386 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:49 PM

send me that link please

--------------------
I survived Jeanne, Charley, and Frances

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Irene Still A TD @ 5:00 [Re: Todd]
      #47387 - Wed Aug 10 2005 04:51 PM

she's still a TD...1745 T #'s still 2.0/2.0...don't look for her to become a TS again until tomorrow...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Big Kahuna
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: DeLand, Florida
Re: Irene Still A TD @ 5:00 [Re: LI Phil]
      #47388 - Wed Aug 10 2005 05:13 PM

In the NHC 5PM discussion it stated that:
"SATELLITE INTENSITY ESTIMATES ARE 30 KT FROM TAFB AND SAB...AND 35 KT FROM AFWA AND THE MOST RECENT ODT VALUES...SUGGESTING THAT IRENE IS VERY NEAR REGAINING TROPICAL STORM STATUS. HOWEVER...UNTIL SOME CENTRAL CONVECTION PERSISTS... THE INTENSITY WILL BE HELD AT 30 KT .

Is this S.O.P.?

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Irene Still A TD @ 5:00 [Re: Big Kahuna]
      #47389 - Wed Aug 10 2005 05:22 PM

I heart Forecaster Stewart discussions. His explanations of why and how always help give me insight and a peek into some of the tendencies that storms have. I probably would have bumped it back to a tropical storm status, but I see the logic in why it would be prudent to wait another 6 hours. After all, the storm has shown signs of life and sputtered down before. So some consistancy before giving it back it's storm status does make sense.

I still really don't know what to expect from Irene, and I'm leery of even trying to project out where it'll end up. So, I'm going to take a pass on this one and just watch and learn

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

hurricane_freak
Unregistered

#47390 - Wed Aug 10 2005 05:22 PM

Irene looks a pretty good- shud be up to TS IMO later tonite

Brad in Miami
Storm Tracker

#47391 - Wed Aug 10 2005 05:24 PM

Confused what you mean, Big Kahuna. With varying satellite estimates (and even without them), it's always a judgment call. Satellite estimates are one tool, but others include QuikScat (still inconclusive here); the amount of sustained convection, particularly near the center of circulation; and how well-defined the LLC is.

Again, I still can't see one dominant, well-defined center in the satellite imagery - can't tell if there are multiple centers, if the center keeps re-forming, if there is no low-level center (yes, it's possible, although not likely, this is technically just an incredibly good-looking wave) - so I agree with the NHC's call. Others will disagree, and I think several different calls could be supported in this case.

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
      #47393 - Wed Aug 10 2005 06:05 PM

Yes it is. The NHC's forecasts are not moment to moment (while a lot of what goes on here is). Their forecasts are based on trends and long term changes. So it is not unusual to postpone something 4, 8,, 24 hours or more to make sure that whatever it is they are looking at is not just a short term feature. Irene has been very interesting to watch, lots of factors involved, and the surrounding environment is in a constant state of change, and will be for a while.

Bill

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

Re: Irene's unpredictability [Re: Ron Basso]
      #47395 - Wed Aug 10 2005 06:21 PM

I am curious why the latest HPC Discussion makes a point to mention the building ridge that should steer Irene on a more sly track in the long term and wherever you read on forums, and especially the computer models, this is not reflected.

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Irene's unpredictability [Re: crpeavley]
      #47398 - Wed Aug 10 2005 06:30 PM

crpeavley -- a building ridge should keep Irene moving more towards the west than towards the north through time. I think everyone is picking up on that, from the NHC on down, but perhaps not quite to the degree that HPC might be. It is the HPC's job to put out long-range forecasts, including when a tropical cyclone may impact things, so their thinking is usually the first you'll see from an 'official' source that talks about landfall regions. They often disagree with the NHC, and vice versa, as always happens with different forecasters; this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Really, the time frame they are talking about right now is beyond the NHC forecast period and more towards the long range (5-7 days), where most forecasters try to shy away from when it comes to tropical cyclone forecasts. It's just a wait-and-see thing right now, but not at all inconsistent with what the general consensus seems to be with this storm.

Saw the MM5 posting before about the track, followed by the wind plot -- I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in the intensity forecasts right now. With the change to the convective parameterization in the model, we tried to get rid of the spurious vortex development near Central America, something that appears to be working. Unfortunately, in this change, we weaken the ability for the model to recognize and grow shallow cumulus clouds/convection; these are important in transferring energy to the large scales and in the development of a storm beyond a minimal TS. There is still such a scheme in there, it is just not as sophisticated. So, while it remains to be seen as to whether or not this is a true forecast of intensity or a conservative forecast, I would tend to think it is at least slightly the former and thus, as always, should be treated with caution.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Model's [Re: Brad in Miami]
      #47399 - Wed Aug 10 2005 06:30 PM

Quote:

Ron:

The 12Z run is 8am EST, I believe. So that model was incorporated into the NHC's 11 am forecast; it does not represent a model shift SINCE that forecast (or since 8 am).

Brad:

My point was it represented a southward shift from the previous 06Z FSUmm5 run. Since the MM5 is experimental (correct me if I mistate Clark), it is not part of the NHC's suite of models used in their forecasting. The NHC also uses the FSU super-ensemble, which is not available to the public.

--------------------
RJB

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #47403 - Wed Aug 10 2005 06:41 PM

Ron -- yes, the MM5 is an experimental model. Some forecasters from NHC & TAFB have looked at the output from time to time, but it is not incorporated in the NHC track guidance suite and they do not use it in making operational forecasts. Part of that is the experimental nature, while another part of it is when it comes out -- for instance, the 12Z run isn't finished until about 6pm ET/22z, largely because of computing power and needing the 12Z GFS analysis to start the model off of (which itself isn't available until 16z or so). We've got some big plans for it, but those are in the long term (next 5 years) moreso than anything and will require more computer power than we have right now.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44246

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center