F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: bulletin [Re: twizted sizter]
      #49274 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:26 PM

I believe they are referring to the area between the bahamas and florida. It is actually the gulf stream corridor but i think they refer it to the straits as well.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: katrina radar [Re: Daytonaman]
      #49275 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:30 PM

There was a clear area on the radar that corresponded with the center earlier, but it disappeared about 90 minutes ago. There is still intense convection in that area though, based on the satellite and radar.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: katrina radar [Re: danielw]
      #49276 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:31 PM

the IR loop shows a hurricane signature, not a TS. the dry air is gone and the feederbands are in place. I think we're going to see rapid deepening.

native
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: SE Florida
Re: katrina radar [Re: Daytonaman]
      #49278 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:34 PM

Maybe some good news (short term atleast) - from Jim Williams @ hurricane city...eye of Katrina is 16mi. in diameter (from latest recon reports)

incorrect information-removed~danielw

Edited by danielw (Wed Aug 24 2005 09:38 PM)

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Movement [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #49279 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:34 PM

WXMAN and all other Broward and Palm Beach members....it looks like it will be our turn for a hurricane....darn they usually go north of us...but not this time! lol warnings tonight most likely...when does everyone plan to put up shutters?

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: bulletin [Re: dolfinatic]
      #49280 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:35 PM

Quote:

I believe they are referring to the area between the bahamas and florida. It is actually the gulf stream corridor but i think they refer it to the straits as well.

You are correct. The area of water between the Southern tip of FL, and Cuba is referred to as the Florida Straits.
Straits...as it is spelled, denotes a body of water.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: katrina radar *Killed -- Sent to Graveyard* [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #49281 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:35 PM

This post was sent to the Hurricane Graveyard

native
Weather Guru

Re: Movement [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #49283 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:43 PM

Better safe than sorry....

Get your act in gear now....I personally wouldn't want to be installing shutters with or in deteriorating weather. Get them up ASAP...that's what you got em' for right!

Edited by native (Wed Aug 24 2005 09:44 PM)

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: katrina radar [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #49284 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:45 PM

The east- west elongation is less now. Storm is getting more symettrical. Sorry about spelling

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Movement [Re: native]
      #49286 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:48 PM

Point taken....tomorrow is the day probably around noon my decision will be made. Oh, and the Hurricane Track guys are on their way to Deerfield Beach:

http://hurricanetrack.com/

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #49288 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:52 PM

State Farm built a hurricane demonstration house in Deerfield Beach. They gave it to the city a couple of years ago. I think it is stilled tricked out with sensors to record what a hurricane does to it if hit.

--------------------
Jim

native
Weather Guru

#49290 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:56 PM

Just watching Steve Lyons on TWC just noticed that time line in "cone" has position just offshore "Fri AM" that being duly noted, does anyone remember how slow the expected slow down is?

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
      #49291 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:57 PM

past 45 minutes or so the system sure seems to have slowed down somewhat... it was moving at a pretty good clip earlier tonight, that has slowed down considerably per the latest radar loops...

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/amx_N0Z_lp.shtml

danielwAdministrator

Posts [Re: native]
      #49293 - Wed Aug 24 2005 09:58 PM

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is informative, or interesting or adds to thoughtful discussion on any level? If is a reply, does it offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting.

What are the rules?
http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/faq.php#rules

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Movement [Re: native]
      #49299 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:04 PM

To something around 5mph, most likely. Remember -- at 100mi offshore, a storm moving at 10mph will make landfall in 10 hours, but one moving at 5mph will make landfall in double the amount of time. The storm is currently 150 miles due east of Ft. Lauderdale -- at an average rate of speed of 7.5mph, that's 20hr to landfall. A slowdown to 5mph takes it to 30hr, which is about the projected landfall point...so somewhere between 5-7.5mph is the likely speed as it gets to Florida.

As noted last night, the projected forward speed from then -- and the current speed now -- suggests that a second Florida landfall is more likely than any other scenario. Again, what held last night still holds -- a faster speed now will result in a landfall point in north Florida further west...and this can result from the difference between 5mph & 8mph, as small as that may seem. As of now though, something in the central Panhandle area, generally from Destin to Apalachicola is the best bet. The threat to Louisiana is nearly gone, the threat to Mississippi is diminishing, and the threat to Alabama is there but moreso for a tangential impact than a direct impact.

We'll see what this storm does in the next day and go from there. About the only thing I'm 100% certain of is that it will not move directly into the northern Keys as a strong category 4 hurricane.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Posts [Re: danielw]
      #49300 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:06 PM

Going to bring up the initials JB. He thinks a Cat 2 system is not out of the question. I think that is possibility. Low to mid Cat 2. my personal feeling is a Cat 1 pushing Cat 2 if the system goes on the current forecast track. If, for some reason, the path gives her more time over water before landfall then currently forecast, i would be worried about a major system. Can not see that with the current forecast.

--------------------
Jim

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Movement [Re: Frank P]
      #49302 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:10 PM

I noticed that also Frank as a poster mentioned earllier E-W elongation is gone.Also the the ULL out front is moving away at a good clip I think enhancing some of the outflow possibily on the W side.Then if you look at the WV loop whats that coming from the E that's working the outflow on the E side.Maybe a Met can chime in here if it is anything.Shes looking impressive this evening for sure.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html

JG
Weather Hobbyist

#49305 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:14 PM

Quote:

Point taken....tomorrow is the day probably around noon my decision will be made. Oh, and the Hurricane Track guys are on their way to Deerfield Beach:

http://hurricanetrack.com/

That's good enough for me. They are excellent for the information and video they provide.

Also, is there any more information that substantiates the slowing of the forward speed that Steve Lyons just mentioned about 15 minutes ago? The latest model runs I've seen don't show that.

Edited by JG (Wed Aug 24 2005 10:19 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Structure [Re: javlin]
      #49306 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:15 PM Attachment (214 downloads)

This Dvorak enhancement is from the UW-CIMSS site.
It gives a good indication of the symmetry of Katrina.
Click on the attachment.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Movement [Re: javlin]
      #49307 - Wed Aug 24 2005 10:15 PM

The CDO is aligned with the circulation center, the bands are there, the elliptical elongation east to west is going away. The traces of dry air between the bands are starting to disappear. Temperatures in the water are high, shear is low. Forward movement is slowing. Tomorrow is going to be highly interesting. I'd prepare for a category 2 tomorrow, even if it doesn't make it that high. Listen to local media and stay updated if you are in Palm Beach or Broward counties.

I'm supposed to be doing work in Lee county Friday through saturday on the west coast, so believe me I'm watching this very close.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 546 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44329

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center