F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Category 2 Hurricane Katrina Back Over the Water, Strengthening
      #49953 - Fri Aug 26 2005 12:50 AM

4:30PM Update
Model guidance has shifted dramatically to the west, we are awaiting the 5PM National Hurricane Center discussion and forecast to see what the meaning is.

Expect the unexpected.

Noon Update
Katrina is now a Category 2 hurricane... more to come later.

11 AM Update

Katrina has strengthened a bit more, and the pressure has dropped in the advisory to 981. However, a recon report that come shortly after the public advisory reported the pressure at 971 mb. Which indicates that Katrina may well be on it's way to category 2 status.

In fact, a special advisory may be issued shortly by the NHC shortly to increase the maximum sustained winds to 80kt/92mph, with a corresponding and rather dramatic pressure drop to 971mb.

I am a bit reluctant to mention more because of what occurred with Dennis earlier this year. When toward the end it did weaken as much as it gained strength. Katrina has the potential to become a major hurricane, and in fact is now forecast to by the time it nears the coast, and if the recon report is accurate, it may become a major much sooner than that. I'll be looking for situations (like dry air, shear, etc) that could cause Katrina to weaken.

But do not let your guard down in the Panhandle for Katrina because of what occurred with Dennis!

Model consensus is fairly solid now with the future track, the cone of error still should be watched.

The 11am forecast track is largely unchanged from the 5am track, towards the general vicinity of the Ft. Walton-Panama City area, but the intensity forecast will have to be moved upward from the 100-105kt projected in the 11a package at landfall. Stay tuned -- Katrina is getting better organized in a rapid fashion as it drifts north of the Keys.

(We and Skeetobite are looking for feedback on maps, let us know here)

9 AM Update

Katrina is back up to Hurricane Status this morning and is moving slowly west. The turn to the north, most likely along the NHC forecast track, should happen sometime today. Everyone in the cone needs to be watching this system, especially in the Panhandle. (As much as I hate to say that again)

The north side of the storm is farily dry, whereas the southern side of this storm has most of the percipitation this morning. So that's good news for keeping flooding rains away from the Peninsula for the most part. Unless the eastern side wraps around later today. The cloud shield of the storm is still very impressive.

More to come later.

Original Update
Katrina is a Troical Storm once again, albeit a very strong one, nearing the sparsely populated extreme southwestern coast of Florida and is expected to move out into the Gulf fairly shortly.

Tropical Storm Warnings have been Extended to include the entire Florida Keys, and the Dry Tortugas.

The storm has held together remarkably well as it moved westward, so strengthening after it enters the Gulf is fairly likely. More in the morning.

For a lot more future thinking, see Ed and Clark's blog below.

Event Related Links
General Links
Report Katrina conditions in your area/read other's reports at this link (registration not required).

StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms

Emergency Management/County info
State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org

Katrina

Google Map plot of Katrina

Visible Floater Satellite of Katrina
Water Vapor Floater of Katrina
Visible Satellite Floater of Katrina with storm track overlays
Animated model plots of Katrina
Spaghetti Model Plot of Katrina from Colorado State
Bahamas Radar

Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Tampa, FL Long Range Radar
Tallahassee, FL Long Range Radar
Eglin Air Force Bace, Radar Panhandle
Mobile, AL Long Range Radar
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Miami, Key West, Melbourne

Invest 97L

NRL-Monterey Satellite Data on 97L
METEOSAT-8 imagery over Europe & Africa from the Univ. of Wisconsin
Animated model plots of 97L

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: MikeC]
      #49967 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:33 AM

Actually at this point I'd say that the circulation center has crossed into the gulf (at least 50% of it)

So.... where does it go from here, and how well did the inner windfields survive? It's looking ragged, but is that a function of being forced south when it wanted to push north? (the high pressure pressing down.... and when it starts to 'round the bend' how quickly can it rebuild....

I feel like quoting star wars at this point, so I'm going to stop. but ... "I got a .... feeling about this"

Edit:
By ragged, I mean that the northern portion of the storm has looked 'eroded' the last 12 hours or so. the center is still holding together fairly well, and I wouldn't be suprised to see it upgraded by 11am (maybe even sooner if the storms fire up in the eyewall....

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Edited by Bloodstar (Fri Aug 26 2005 01:39 AM)

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49969 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:43 AM

Is it me or did this thing gain some speed?

I havent really studied it all that much, but some forecasters didnt have it re-entering the gulf until Friday afternoon and hitting the panhandle sunday sometime.. Looks like it could hit again on saturday.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Wind Danger Still Exists [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49971 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:47 AM

Though Katrina is moving off shore at this time. The probability of torrential rain, and winds above 45 mph still exist.
Katrina is likely to deepen again. Possibly to a Hurricane by daybreak. (my opinion)

In looking over the Local Storm Reports from NWS Miami:
0553 PM*** 1 FATAL *** 20-25 YEAR OLD MAN KILLED WHEN TREE BRANCHES WERE BLOWN DOWN.

0600 PM*** 1 FATAL *** 54 YEAR OLD MALE PEDESTRIAN KILLED WHEN TREE WAS BLOWN DOWN.

I know that there is at least one other fatality reported. But I'm not seeing any references here.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49972 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:49 AM

Quote:

So.... where does it go from here

Well nothing much is going to be coming over on the N side over land, so initially the bands will be mostly on the S and SE, once offshore, but then I guess the strong circ will carry the bands around quickly once far enough away from land, and convection will build because it will be daytime. So actually by very early morning should be back in business.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

ralphfl
Weather Master

Re: Wind Danger Still Exists [Re: danielw]
      #49974 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:53 AM

There was also a guy who got caught in his car and power lines got him before they could cut the power,very sad.Those 00 runs taking there time to come guess ill go to bed but i agree this will get to cat 1 and maybe 2 i just really hope it gets out in the gulf far.I dont wish it on anyone and hope it falls apart (doubt) i really want out of the cone so keep going west is good for me.

Best bet would be to go right along to mexico.But i hope when it leaves the west coast of florida its the last time we see it on this coast.

danielwAdministrator

Flash Flooding [Re: Margie]
      #49975 - Fri Aug 26 2005 01:55 AM

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
1244 AM EDT FRI AUG 26 2005
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIAMI HAS EXTENDED THE
* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR... MIAMI-DADE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST FLORIDA
* UNTIL 700 AM EDT
* AT 1240 AM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED MODERATELY HEAVY RAIN CONTINUING TO TRACK REPEATEDLY ACROSS SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL MIAMI-DADE COUNTY. RADAR AND RAIN GAUGE DATA INDICATE THAT AS MUCH AS 10 TO 14 INCHES OF RAINFALL HAS OCCURRED FROM KEY BISCAYNE TO HOMESTEAD THIS EVENING . AN ADDITIONAL 3 TO 6 INCHES OF RAINFALL IS POSSIBLE OVER THE WARNED AREA BY MORNING. THIS ADDITIONAL RAINFALL WILL EXACERBATE THE ONGOING SIGNIFICANT FLOODING.
A FEW OF THE LOCATIONS AT GREATEST RISK FOR CONTINUED FLOODING ARE... KEY BISCAYNE...PERRINE...COUNTRY WALK...CUTLER RIDGE...PRINCETON... NARANJA...HOMESTEAD...FLORIDA CITY...AND THE REDLANDS.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Flash Flooding [Re: danielw]
      #49976 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:25 AM

If it continues SW at this speed, Key West is going to get hammered by the strong S and SE bands near the COC, in about 3 hours (5am EDT).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Flash Flooding [Re: danielw]
      #49977 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:30 AM

That list reads like the hit list of places devestated almost 13 years to the date by Hurricane Andrew. The heaviest rain remains over that area at this time and I wouldn't be surprised if those additional 6" are underdoing it just a little.

Over the past half-hour to hour, the center of Katrina appears to have essentially slowed down quite a bit *just* offshore. It is still drifting southward, but at more like 2-4mph and not moving SW at 10mph. I think this might be the start of that slowing trend and will need to be monitored overnight to see if that is indeed the case. The storm is undergoing a bit of reorganization -- some dry air worked into the center of the storm while it was over land and is giving the appearance of a center being further offshore than it really is -- but should reach hurricane intensity once again in the next 6-9hr.

My 2:30am position estimate on the storm is just south of the tip of Ponce de Leon Bay (for reference, please see http://sofia.usgs.gov/geer/2003/posters/wq_bicyever/sulfatemapx.gif) drifting SSW at 2-3mph. This general motion with a turn towards the west is expected through the morning hours. This will keep the center near-shore through the overnight hours and bring it to a position SW of Naples and Everglades City later in the morning.

Now that the center is over the Gulf, it's "go" time. What happens over the next day is going to go a long way toward determining where this storm makes landfall and at what intensity it makes landfall. Good night everyone, and get some rest. This is just the middle of the first round of Katrina -- we've still got a long way to go with this one.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

danielwAdministrator

Rain and Wind Hazards [Re: Clark]
      #49978 - Fri Aug 26 2005 02:41 AM

Quote:

That list reads like the hit list of places devestated almost 13 years to the date by Hurricane Andrew. The heaviest rain remains over that area at this time and I wouldn't be surprised if those additional 6" are underdoing it just a little...

A note on the side here. My last check of 'Storm Total" rainfall from both the Key West and Miami radar. A bit of conflict there.
One showed a maxima of 21.8 inches and the other 14 inches. Too much rainfall, no matter how you look at it.

One other thought.
The rainfall will make the tress blow over Very Easy now. If Katrina spins up to Hurricane force again there could be more trees falling in areas that they haven't fallen.
Please exercise extreme caution in areas with trees and high winds. What might have required 45mph yesterday, may blow over in a 35mph wind today.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Rain and Wind Hazards [Re: danielw]
      #49979 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:06 AM

The 3am increased the speed to 11mph...but changed direction to WSW.

So still very close to Key West.

Definitely going to sleep now!

--------------------

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Rain and Wind Hazards [Re: Margie]
      #49980 - Fri Aug 26 2005 03:29 AM

Four Dead As Katrina Slams South Florida

http://www.nbc6.net/weather/4887334/detail.html

not buying a franklin couty landfall just yet....more to west.....panama city maybe...strong cat 2?

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Bloodstar

Loc: Tucson, AZ
and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #49981 - Fri Aug 26 2005 04:53 AM

Katrina's stint as a Tropical Storm was a brief one, They have her max sustained winds at 65Kts and 987Mb pressure. They're also putting her on a 260 degree track, which eyeballing the radar makes sense.... how how rapidly will the storm turn and round the ridge? There is the question that could be the difference between a stiff wind and a week without power.

My reasoning is shot on this storm, so I'll simply bow out and go to bed...(I really have to average more than 3 hours sleep a night....)

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49983 - Fri Aug 26 2005 06:26 AM

I may be imagining this, but I think I see a northerly vector component in the very last frame of the Key West radar - http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kbyx.shtml

It could be a wobble.

I thought I was imagining the southerly componenent yesterday when all said it was going due west.

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged: Thu
Loc: florida
Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: MikeC]
      #49984 - Fri Aug 26 2005 06:28 AM

Am seeing the same wobble to the north

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Bloodstar]
      #49986 - Fri Aug 26 2005 06:35 AM

Thought I would chime in since I did not stay up all night. (Check in at 2 amish to see what the status was), just to keep the post rolling.

All the globals are in almost unanimous agreement this morning showing a movement WNW then NW with a bend North and impact just east of Ft Walton Beach.

It appears that Katrina has outrun the deepening trough a bit and might get further west, likely sparing danger to the West Coast of FL. south of the Big Bend. Anyone west of the Big Bend better keep an eye for sudden changes, as we know the tropics can do that.

--------------------
Jara

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: stormchazer]
      #49987 - Fri Aug 26 2005 07:18 AM

We're talking about rain...take a look at these rain totals - WOW:

http://weather.cod.edu/nexrad/floater/AMX/AMX.PRETX.gif

(source: http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/paulradar.pl?AMX - thanks danielw for posting this in the old thread last night )

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: and unless the marine advisory is wrong Katrina is a Hurricane again. [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49988 - Fri Aug 26 2005 07:21 AM

Well it appears most of the models are pretty much in agreement at this point. Looks like right now the bullseye is between Ft. Walton and Panama City. Even with that slight shift west, I'm sure I am still in for a VERY rough ride here in Tallahassee.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Katrina Nearing the Gulf [Re: hurricane expert]
      #49989 - Fri Aug 26 2005 07:22 AM

I don't see the N component at all, still wsw or even sw perhaps, there was and is some open areas with no convection (dry areas) to the north of the eye with could have caused the appearance of a north jog, but I don't see in on this radar loop... speed still looks at about 10 mph

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/byx_NCR_lp.shtml

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Katrina future path [Re: Random Chaos]
      #49990 - Fri Aug 26 2005 07:23 AM

Looks like the models think they have a good handle on the system now. We'll know in a few hours. It may be just a wobble or a reorganization, but the last couple of sat frames show a much more northernly component. I think it'll be until this afternoon before we have a solid idea of where she is going.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 548 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 60510

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center