F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
Cpt.Napalm

Reged: Wed
Loc: Eglin AFB, FL
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: MikeC]
      #50682 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:33 AM

Has the NHC mentioned why they are leaning to the west of the models on their last 2 runs where with most of their previous tracks they have leaned to the East of the model consensus?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: SirCane]
      #50683 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

Is it just me or do I see a WNW motion starting?

Yep, the much anticipated shift to the W-NW looks to have occurred during the last 2-3 hours. On VIS SAT, the eye has clouded over but there is definitely a shift in direction. We'll see if it holds. If so, from here on out, the storm should gradually start recurving to the NW and then N over the next 48 hrs.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USLocal...mp;prodnav=none

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-vis-loop.html

--------------------
RJB

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: FunkyLamb]
      #50684 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:35 AM

Quote:

2) Am I crazy, or does it seem like there are two eye walls forming?

No, I'm seeing it too. That means it is undergoing an eyewall replacement cycle - once that finishes it can strengthen again. That would also explain the rattier appearence on satellite.

Key West radar: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/byx_N0Z_lp.shtml

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: susieq]
      #50685 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:38 AM

Ragged isn't a term I'd use with Katrina...if anything she's getting better organized & strengthing which when in that cycle can give appearance of looking ragged.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: SirCane]
      #50686 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:39 AM

Based on the last 3 hrs of long range radar data from Key West I'm seeing motion at 290
if it's not the turn, it's quite a wobble

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Loc: florida
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #50687 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:42 AM

11 Advisory still 115 MPH moving west slower know at 6MPH. I think this system is about to start it turn real soon

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: bobbutts]
      #50688 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:44 AM

Quote:

Based on the last 3 hrs of long range radar data from Key West I'm seeing motion at 290
if it's not the turn, it's quite a wobble

Looking at the VIS loop... it's definately north of the 5am ET forecast track. Not by a whole lot, but the line is north of due west and it's long enough to be more than just a wobble - although it still might smooth out to be due west longer term. I'd call it 280-290 maybe.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: hurricane expert]
      #50689 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

11 Advisory still 115 MPH moving west slower know at 6MPH. I think this system is about to start it turn real soon

NHC is smoothing out the motion I think. No, it CAN'T turn NOW... it must wait at least six hours! Turning now means it hits well east of the forecast track IMHO.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Loc: florida
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #50690 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:47 AM

It has also slow down the past couple of hours this could let the trough come by and pick it up even sooner then expected what do u guys think

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: DeBary, Florida
      #50692 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:51 AM

I'm not sure it changes anything due to its forward speed. At this rate it will take awhile to make an actual change in direction.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Cpt.Napalm]
      #50693 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

Has the NHC mentioned why they are leaning to the west of the models on their last 2 runs where with most of their previous tracks they have leaned to the East of the model consensus?

Expect it to change in the future. We saw a 150 mi west adjustment yesterday. With the storm 60 hrs away from landfall, there will be smaller shifts with time. The NHC likes to avoid major changes (like yesterday), so if they see a consistent trend with consensus in the models they will gradually move in that direction.

--------------------
RJB

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#50694 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

It has also slow down the past couple of hours this could let the trough come by and pick it up even sooner then expected what do u guys think

I DON'T want to think about that possibility, although it might be the only thing that saves N.O.

--------------------
Hugh

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Callaway, Florida
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Hugh]
      #50695 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:53 AM

it will be interesting to see if the models start shifting east in their next runs. i think it is turning a little earlier than expected

Ricreig
User

Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Random Chaos]
      #50696 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:53 AM

Quote:

Guess what? Navy NRL's taken their normal track graphic off and stuck up a model track graphic!

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/ATL/12L.KATRINA/ssmi/gif/full/Latest.html

It appears that they discovered their 'error'. I saw the graphics you described and upn a refresh, it was back to the 'old' format. I can't find it again even browsing their directory structure, but it *was* interesting. All of their models depicted seemed to cluseter in and about SE La.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: andy1tom]
      #50697 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:55 AM Attachment (329 downloads)

As for model tracks, see the attached file.

NRL put back up their normal track graphic, but luckily I screenshotted the model track graphic while it was up. That's what I'm attaching.

susieq
Weather Watcher

Loc: Panhandle
Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Ricreig]
      #50699 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:56 AM

According to the 11:00 advisory, it looks like Pensacola is out of the woods. My heart goes out to New Orleans.

--------------------
Gulf Breeze girl still not over Ivan

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #50700 - Sat Aug 27 2005 10:57 AM

I am no guy but I went and looked at the surface analysis on the Atlantic Tropical Discussion page and there are a couple of distinct highs(higher than the pressure in the hurricane) one over Texas and one over Alabama /Tennesee AND unless I am missing a few marbles(very likely), the hurricane will still follow the path of least resistance. This being said could still have the hurricane following the warmest water for fuel and into the big bend area. The trough picking up the hurricane would speed things along. This is not to be confused with a meterologist who does know what is going on.
I am really considering a trip to walmart to get a simple compass to be able to visualize the angle of motion on this storm. Either way it is fascinating. Just so long as is fizzles before hitting land. By the way here in Central Florida we are having some elevated breezes from the southeast

Edited by GuppieGrouper (Sat Aug 27 2005 11:07 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#50701 - Sat Aug 27 2005 11:00 AM

Quote:

According to the 11:00 advisory, it looks like Pensacola is out of the woods. My heart goes out to New Orleans.

I agree regarding N.O., but I disagree about Pensacola. No one is out of the woods yet. The models drifted back east toward Biloxi/Mobile and that was not reflected in the NHC forecast - if it continues they'll update the official forecast at 4pm probably, and put Pensacola back in trouble.

--------------------
Hugh

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Katrina Strengthens - Destination Uncertain [Re: Hugh]
      #50702 - Sat Aug 27 2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree regarding N.O., but I disagree about Pensacola. No one is out of the woods yet. The models drifted back east toward Biloxi/Mobile and that was not reflected in the NHC forecast - if it continues they'll update the official forecast at 4pm probably, and put Pensacola back in trouble.

Update: Visible satellite - 14:15 image shows a tightly packed eye barely visible. Comparing that with the beginning of the loop, the next motion is definately north of due west. It's SLOWLY turning...

--------------------
Hugh

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
      #50703 - Sat Aug 27 2005 11:02 AM

Quote:

Katrina is too large and too dangerous to say at this point in time that P'cola is out of the woods.

No one along the coast from LA around Panama city should let their guard down.

Perhaps in 36 hours from now we will know more but right now, things are still too fluid.
NHC and New Orleans have to take action to evacuate do to the logistics of moving that many people out
of harms way.

Stay alert and be prepared.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 496 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61650

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center