F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
javlin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: SHIPS model [Re: Random Chaos]
      #51391 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:39 PM

Thats a 175mph on those flight winds.I was here during Camille now it looks like her sister is going to pay someone a visit.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Forum Rules [Re: javlin]
      #51392 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:39 PM

To maintain the quality of information, please remember to follow the posting rules:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is informative, or interesting or adds to thoughtful discussion on any level? If is a reply, does it offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting.

Low Content Posts: Please do not make single line posts containing no content (ie, "Thanks!" "Great Post" "Cool!", "I agree", or something else completely void of meaning). Or general cheerleading, for example, if you think someone did a good job and have nothing else to add send them a PM, it works better for this. We appreciate the thanks, but otherwise posts like these just litter up the forums. Remember, CFHC is not a Chat Room - it is a Niche topic-oriented site, so please attempt to stay 'on topic' by placing your posts in the proper Forum. Main page articles are usually focused on one particular topic, the other forums are open to use as well and are moderated less strictly.

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: SHIPS model [Re: Margie]
      #51394 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:41 PM

Margie, regarding your quote, I would guess that CNN is rightfully not focused on the line, but the cone.

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: No Evacuations?!?!? [Re: chase 22]
      #51395 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:43 PM

Quote:

That is really odd. I think that somebody is making a bad call in not ordering evacuations for NO. Here we are looking at one of the most dangerous weather features of our time and nobody is ordering evacuations.

They ARE ordering evacuations and people are heading out of town. The sad thing is there is no way to evacuate an entire major city. The smaller towns like Biloxi, MS were still debating mandatory evac's as late as this morning.
I think that even the Emergency Managers don't really understand this storm can and will do.

It's a logistical nightmare. I think that Radio and TV and sites like this one are doing all they can to warn people.

My prayers are for everyone to be safe in and around the Gulf Coast.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Dr Lyons [Re: jr928]
      #51397 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:43 PM

If I had to guess what Dr Lyons is thinking, I'd say the vigorous trough diving SE thru central TX is gonna perhaps cause a slight, emphasize, slight N-NE turn, probably near the mouth of the Miss River. This is probably what the 06Z GFDL model is picking up on and maybe this will introduce some shear and slightly weaken KAT. Who knows? What I've been saying is anyone from LA to the western panhandle needs to take this seriously, becuz its such a large storm.

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/satellit...amp;duration=10

--------------------
RJB

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Angelo, TX
      #51399 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:45 PM

What do you think the odds are that the track might shift East?? 48hrs seems a little stretched for Cat V winds... I would think that it would go under Cat V strength within an hour or two (of course depending on how strong it is when it comes ashore).

--------------------
Matt

Trekman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
Re: CAT 5 160mph!!!!!!!! [Re: susieq]
      #51405 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:51 PM

Seeing that it went just east of the last forcast point on the wv image, and the angle that it looks like it will hit the next forcast point head on.....does anyone think this is a slight adjustment to the west of the forcast track?

--------------------
Went though: Erin ('95), Opal ('95), Danny ('97), Georges ('98), Ivan ('04), Dennis ('05)

Emergency Administration and Management program at Northwest Florida State College

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged:
Loc: Melbourne, FL
Administrative Note [Re: Clark]
      #51407 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:51 PM

The site bandwidth could be severely tested today as the storm approaches the coast, but you can help by not posting the obvious and keeping your posts informative. We need to reduce the number of one-liners so that we can keep the site up and running during this serious event. Your help is appreciated. Some one-liners are ok if they are informative - just try to keep the number of them down.
Thanks,
ED

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #51409 - Sun Aug 28 2005 01:56 PM

If Katrina hits NO, it will have no companion in history that I'm aware of.

NO has never been hit by a storm this large - almost nobody has (Camille is rightfully mentioned as an analogy). To anyone focusing only on the forecast track: please do not be so foolish! This storm is HUGE and will cause large swaths of devastation spanning dozens of miles!

Katrina means business, and is large enough to cause problems hundres of miles from her landfall "point". A storm of this size is going to pound cities more than 50 miles from any point listed as landfall, and if that point is in LA, then yes, even folks in the panhandle of Florida need to rush to completion any plans for safety.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't exactly a storm to ride out or dismiss - she spans hundreds of miles and will continue to deepen for a while. The line between 155 (Cat 4) and 156 (Cat 5) at landfall will make little difference. She's gusting over 180 mph. My car will push 160 and let me tell you - the sheer force of a 180+ mph gust is definitely something that reeks power.

Steeler Fan
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Sarasota, FL
      #51411 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:00 PM

New to posting on this site (although I have been a non-registered user for a while now), but wanted to say that even if there are no official evacuations anyone in Katrina's path that doesn't heed the warning is going to get a close-up of the gates of hell. I experienced Camille from the Tampa area in '69 and it was scary enough long distance. Does anyone remember the news story about the woman who was at a "hurricane party" in her 4th floor apartment and was swept out to sea by the storm surge? She was one of the lucky ones and lived to talk about her experience! Riding this one out is just foolish! If Katrina remains a 5 when making landfall, it will be only the 5th Atlantic Cat 5 to make landfall since record keeping began (and the 4th to hit US SOIl).

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: SHIPS model [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51413 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:01 PM

No, I don't buy it. Landfall is in LA according to NHC predictions (see below).

And news stories on the web always lead with the new info, then repeat the older paragraphs, appending them.

So that statement referencing MS landfall reflects something different than the current NHC projected path.

This was from 10am Sat NHC discussion:

"THE OFFICIAL FORECAST REMAINS CLOSE TO THE MODEL CONSENSUS...CALLING FOR LANDFALL IN SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA IN 48-60 HR."

From the 5pm Sat NHC discussion:

"THE TRACK CALLS FOR LANDFALL IN SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA IN A LITTLE UNDER 48 HR."

From 8am this morning:

"NO CHANGES TO THE TRACK...HAVE BEEN MADE."

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: No Evacuations?!?!? [Re: Steeler Fan]
      #51414 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:03 PM

Any of our 'Bama friends on here tune into your local radio/tv or even TWC...just heard they now have evacs for areas there.

Genesis
Weather Guru

Reged:
Track .vs. forecast [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #51415 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:03 PM

Guys and gals, she's RIGHT ON THE FORECAST TRACK.

There were two vortex fixes just north of track, but the trend is right on the line. Last fix was slightly WEST of the forecast track.

Don't fixate on the exact center - with a 30nm diameter eye, being off 30nm won't help you a bit!

Dr. Lyons has a point, BUT that trough is not very vigorous down there. Look at the weather maps and WV loops - the strength in that trough IS lifting out NE, as was forecast. Look at the forecast maps for the next 24 hours; there's a pronounced weakness right north of NO - which is exactly where the NHC has forecast the storm to head.

Whether it jogs east or west of there a bit is not going to be material with a storm of this size and power, and betting on an east - or west - wobble or jog in the path is VERY ill-advised.

I'm expecting near-hurricane-force winds here in Niceville, and a tidal surge of somewhere around 4' in the bay - 6-10' directly on the gulf. Add to that wave impact, which will be considerable for gulf-front exposures.

Please do not be complacent or think that someone's projections of a slight eastward change in track means you're "ok" if you're on the western edge of the envelope! By the same token this storm could be trouble all the way over to Destin - you can bet I'm watching it VERY closely, as that's where we are!

chase 22
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: San Angelo, TX
Re: No Evacuations?!?!? [Re: tpratch]
      #51416 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:04 PM

Quote:

To anyone focusing only on the forecast track: please do not be so foolish! This storm is HUGE and will cause large swaths of devastation spanning dozens of miles!

I know what you mean. Look At Charley. It was powerful, but small, and it did alot of destructi spanning hundreds of miles. Katrina is huge.

Also the mayor of N.O is holding a news conference right now. I caught it on AM radio.

--------------------
Matt

Edited by chase 22 (Sun Aug 28 2005 02:06 PM)

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #51417 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:07 PM

Margie, I disagree that before 9:30AM the NHC specifically called CNN (and no one else) or that CNN is the only news outlet to find out that the forecast track would shift East. Yes the track may shift East (or even West) but I think you're digging for something that doesn't exist. I stand with my assessment of the CNN quote - they are focused on the cone, not the line.

EDIT: or the Chief Met for CNN is making a call to shift the track slightly East.

2nd EDIT: based on your new post below, that NHC met was on NBC this AM and I think he's giving the cone vs line "be safe" speech.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Forum Rules [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #51418 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:08 PM

Looks like the eye is forming vortices.

This phenomena observed in Isabel.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: No Evacuations?!?!? [Re: Steeler Fan]
      #51419 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:11 PM

To give distance perspective to the east of this storm, as it is now. When Camille hit in 1969, I was living in Marianna Florida which is approximately 138 car miles from Pensacola to the east. We had tropcial storm force winds all night long the night or day she hit. I awoke to large pine tree limbs down, debris everywhere. We may or may not have had a close brush with a tornado. I was a teenager and television weather reporting was not a media focus and not a lot of communication was going on. I do remember that there was some coverage though but it seemed alot more remote in those days. So the moral of this story is that if this remains a CAT 5 at landfall, It will cause problems from the landfall for hundreds of miles in all directions.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: SHIPS model [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #51420 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:12 PM

I found the source at another news site. It is a direct quote from someone at NHC, apparently from this morning, so in this context it is not clear if this leads up to an official change in the predicted path:

"Katrina’s landfall could still come in Mississippi and affect Alabama and Florida, but it looked likely to come ashore Monday morning on the southeastern Louisiana coast, said Ed Rappaport, deputy director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami."

No, and something's got to be up anyway; she's been moving in a straight line, NW, for some time now.

--------------------

Edited by Margie (Sun Aug 28 2005 02:18 PM)

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Forum Rules [Re: Margie]
      #51421 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:15 PM

You guys amaze me with each passing storm. I read many predictions last night and woke up to see quite a few of them had developed. My thoughts and prayers are with every person who will experience anything to do with this big girl. Stay smart and err on the side of caution.

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: No Evacuations?!?!? [Re: twizted sizter]
      #51422 - Sun Aug 28 2005 02:16 PM

Quote:

Any of our 'Bama friends on here tune into your local radio/tv or even TWC...just heard they now have evacs for areas there.

I'm listening to the local news stations now. No order for evacuation yet. For that matter, Mobile County schools have not even been cancelled !!! I'm sure they will be after the next update. I think they are trying not to repeat the panic they had here for the last storm that didn't have anywhere near the impact they had hyped it up to be. Personally, I feel they are being too lenient this time and people will try to from flee here at the last minute.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59171

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center