F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52256 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:23 PM

This is probably the most huh? video I've seen of the storm.

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/vi...82905rescue.wmv

Water is bad for vehicles, Apparently didn't get the memo.

But really, I'm starting to have that feeling that the damage was worse in some parts than we know about right now. God bless everyone there. Frank, let us know!

Link Fixed

Edited by MikeC (Mon Aug 29 2005 06:42 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SirCane
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pensacola, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: luki]
      #52257 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:31 PM

luki,

I live in Pensacola. We're doing ok here. We have a strong band going through right now off the gulf from the tail end of Katrina but it's about to taper off. There are many around town without power. I'm one of the lucky ones that has it. We've had some gusts at Hurricane force, but since we just had Dennis last month and Ivan last year, there's really not much left to get blown away except debris from the other 2 Hurricanes. Those living by the water had it worse here. The surge was pretty strong here but we're

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: MikeC]
      #52259 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:32 PM

I'm sure it will be days before we know the full impact of this storm, last I heard on FOX news they expect the damages possibly to exceed Andrew

the yahoo.com homepage has some good photos I don't know how to post a link but if you go to the homepage you will see it

Edited by DebbiePSL (Mon Aug 29 2005 06:44 PM)

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #52263 - Mon Aug 29 2005 06:54 PM

those looking to post pictures, I'd recommend using imageshack http://www.imageshack.us/

There you can upload an image and it will give you codes to drop it in the boards, (use the forum 1 code it lists)

Just cut and paste that into your, post, like above, and there you go!

Later on I'll gather them all up for a big gallery. We welcome your pics, ones you have taken yourself, or found elsewhere. (Try to give credit)

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #52265 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:18 PM

just watched the vid you posted about 4 posts earlier...i hope forest gump is ok

this is still a very serious storm, although obviously the worst of it is over...i hope our regulars are somehow able to check in one way or another

i gave both rick on boat and frank p my number, danny's had it for a while, so if any of them call me, i'll let all ya'll know how they fared...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged: Sat
Loc: Maryland
      #52266 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:23 PM

Here's a site with lots of photos of the storm. They are all copyright since they sell to newspapers and such, so you can't post copies of them, but they are available over at their site:

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/...p;p=1&tag=6

---------

Also, we have a few good satellite photos of the storm from yesterday:
NASA TERRA/AQUA from MODIS - 1915Z today: http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2005241-0829/Katrina.A2005241.1915.2km.jpg
NASA TERRA/AQUA from MODIS - 1700Z yesterday: http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/gallery/?2005240-0828/Katrina.A2005240.1700.2km.jpg
NASA GOES 12 from APOD: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0508/katrina_goes12_big.jpg

Note on the MODIS images - click the "Alternate Pixel Size" links at the top to zoom in - you can zoom WAY in, but the 250m is a huge file.

--RC

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52267 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:30 PM

Travel Update...Anyone trying to go west from the North Florida area can not do so at this time. The I-10 bridge in Pensacola will be closed until it is inspected for damage. This will not happen until Tuesday. Also the other bridges around Pensacola are still closed so if you know of anyone trying to head back to Mobile or MS..tell them to stay put. Also the I-10 Bayway in Mobile is closed, and the US 98 bridge in Mobile , as you probably saw, was hit by a wayward oil rig so there is no way across Mobile bay.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52268 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:31 PM

Disturbing reports coming in on CNN about people stranded on top of houses along Lake Pontratrain. A CNN reporter is on scene, and there are only two rescue boats onsite. Reporter talked with some of the people who have been rescued already, and apparently the water came up suddenly, and after the worst of the storm was over.

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Lafayette, La
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52269 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:37 PM

Quote:

Disturbing reports coming in on CNN about people stranded on top of houses along Lake Pontratrain. A CNN reporter is on scene, and there are only two rescue boats onsite. Reporter talked with some of the people who have been rescued already, and apparently the water came up suddenly, and after the worst of the storm was over.

Our Governor just spoke and said they have already rescued 80 or so people from roof-tops so far and that they have, I believe she said, 10 or so boats going out now for search and rescue to the areas that are flooded. She said they put the boats in right there on I-10 because it was so flooded. The areas they were headed to in NO had 10 feet of water, she said.

She said to expect several casualties but the numbers were not known at this time and won't be until they can get out to all the homes that are under water.

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: pcola]
      #52270 - Mon Aug 29 2005 07:37 PM

Just to give non-southern folks an idea of this storm. I live 30 miles west of Little Rock, Arkansas. We have had a cloud cover non stop for 2 days. Today our high was 77--absolutely unheard of here in August--and a slow drizzle started about 7:30am. I'm talking 2 states north of landfall.
ps the depth of these states aren't like the carolinas...or pennsylvania..or....

Edited by collegemom (Mon Aug 29 2005 07:43 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 394 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65038

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center