F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: LI Phil]
      #52035 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:12 AM

I just saw a short clip from MSNBC I think of someone about 4mi inland at Biloxi - rain, 60mph sust wind, but it was dark out so obviously not current.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: Margie]
      #52036 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:14 AM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/lix_N0R_lp.shtml

Takes time to load but has all the tornado warnings and watchs listed with each frame and radar loop.

Winds also down to 135 minamal cat 4 now hope it keeps droping

Edited by ralphfl (Mon Aug 29 2005 09:15 AM)

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: LI Phil]
      #52037 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:14 AM

Quote:

i just heard a report (unconfirmed) that the roof tiles are now peeling off the superdome...anyone have any info on this?

also, anyone hear about biloxi conditions?

Phil,

Watching live stream from WATP Channel 16 (with video inside the dome), reporter from inside states 1/12 of roof is now missing and they are being moved to cover within the structure.

Link to this stream

age234
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Winter Park
      #52038 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:15 AM

FNC has a subtitle saying "part of Superdome roof in New Orleans blown off".

And they're saying 10,000 people are in there. Last night someone on this site who said they worked with FEMA said there were 36-some-odd-thousand people there. Who is right?

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: New Orleans, La.
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: StormKrone]
      #52039 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:15 AM

The news caster in there now didn't say this. He said "Lots of leaks coming from everywhere" and moving everyone to the end zones out of their seats.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: StormKrone]
      #52041 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:16 AM

They are saying water is POURING into the superdome...part of roof blown off...what a nightmare.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #52042 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:17 AM

thanks skeet...the next 60-90 minutes will tell the whole story...brian williams from msnbc is INSIDE the dome broadcasting the HOLES in the roof...good god

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #52043 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:17 AM

Skeeto, got a link?

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #52044 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:17 AM

I would not be surprised if the roof is peeling. Considering the age and number of roof repairs that have been done. The interior and interior walls will stand up. I doubt the whole roof can be ripped away. Probably lose areas here and there. That place is going to be cramped and uncomfortable. Dark, hot and crowded.

--------------------
Jim

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: New Hampshire
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: Psyber]
      #52045 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

People are surprised about the superdome?

People were arguing yesterday that it the superdome could handle winds to 200mph so it is a little surprising that it came apart in what I'd guess would be cat1 or cat2 force winds. Really hoping that the baloon effect you describe doesn't materialize.

I'm actually seeing a jog or wobble to the wnw on radar now..

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged: Tue
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
      #52046 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:19 AM

Phil - NBC reported a 3' x 5' section of roof had peeled off and the sky is visible.. they also said a small lightning rod on top the roof came thru and fell to the field. Someone above reported 1/12th but that has not been confirmed by an onsite reporter.. just a 3' x 5' piece. The integrity of the roof is questioned however as they still expect some heavy winds.

AmateurJohn
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Highlands County, FL
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: Psyber]
      #52047 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:20 AM

Quote:

People are surprised about the superdome?

Seems to me quite the contrary. There have been several posts on here wondering about the integrity of the building's structure.

Watching the tv coverage yesterday, as people were lining up to get inside the SuperDome, I told my wife that I really hoped these people weren't being shepherded into a tomb. I know that most of these people had nowhere else to go. This is more than sad. More than scary.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #52048 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:21 AM

Fox just had a report from inside the Dome by Video Phone and showed the holes, they looked like 9 foot sections (At least 2 of them)

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Hurricane Katrina Makes Landfall in SE Louisiana as a Category 4 Storm [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #52049 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:23 AM

Quote:

Phil - NBC reported a 3' x 5' section of roof had peeled off and the sky is visible.. they also said a small lightning rod on top the roof came thru and fell to the field. Someone above reported 1/12th but that has not been confirmed by an onsite reporter.. just a 3' x 5' piece. The integrity of the roof is questioned however as they still expect some heavy winds.

i SAW the video (still) shot with a video camera which brian williams emailed to the station...there is definitely a HOLE in the roof...can't tell (no perspective) how large it is, but daylight is CLEARLY visible

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: AmateurJohn]
      #52050 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:23 AM

The roof it coming off the superdome in 3 places. I cant imagine 30,000 people being hurded around in there like cattle. I have a Conference call with FEMA in 5 mins. will update around 945est

age234
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Winter Park
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52051 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:27 AM

MSNBC is showing the pics right now.

FNC is interviewing a guy who's saying that only the protective lining has damage, but clearly there are holes.

Edited by age234 (Mon Aug 29 2005 09:28 AM)

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: age234]
      #52052 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:30 AM

MSNBC is now talking about the possible surge. Shouldnt the worse Storm surge have already happen?

The NE area is overland.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: bobbutts]
      #52053 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:33 AM

That streaming video station in Jackson just said something that I was noticing earlier...as the strongest part of the eyewall convection comes around it is going to be hitting Slidell. Also about how bad it is going to get on MS Gulf Coast from Bay St. Louis over.

You know it looks like the eye is going to be making landfall around Waveland in only about another half hour.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: age234]
      #52054 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:34 AM

MSNBC is showing a visual of a 20' storm surge.. The meterologist is on a piece of equipment that keeps getting raised to the roof of the studio. And comparing the level to previous storm surges. It makes a big difference to see it visually... knowing it intellectually is one thing... SEEING it is very different...

unbelievable...

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: nate77]
      #52055 - Mon Aug 29 2005 09:36 AM

Reports of water shooting up out of man holes in downtown N.O. This is the flooding weve been waiting on. water approx 1-2 ft deep on Bourbon St. Sorry still on conference call. Trying to update as the call goes on.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 409 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65794

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center