F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: royener]
      #52100 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:15 AM

Once the water goes over the top of the leeve(breech) the erotion takes place. The more dirt washed from the leeve, the more water flows into lower area. Army Corp. was filling weak spots and voids since wed. There equipment is in place now. By the time the weather breaks it will be to late to control the erotion.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52101 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:18 AM

Just heard from NFIP official that there are several areas on the east side of town where the leeves have now been breeched. Water is up to the roof lines in some areas. as much as 2ft of water spilling over the top of the leeves.

Please pardon my grammar today. Ive been on a coffee diet since 8pm last night.

Edited by Disaster Master (Mon Aug 29 2005 11:19 AM)

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
      #52102 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:20 AM

Can't believe people in N.O on TV are mad that they over hyped the storm when in fact they got lucky that it took at jog NE then back north again.

Why don't people be thankful then saying the NHC over hyped the storm.This is from Fox news.

Edited by ralphfl (Mon Aug 29 2005 11:23 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
      #52103 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:25 AM

Who ever thought you'd be relieved to hear that the pressure was up to 927 and that the winds were down to 125!

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: Margie]
      #52104 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:32 AM

CNN reports that the levess are fine, they had a guy on from the city of New Orleans and said they are holding up.

Also, seems like the big conecrn is the water, not so much wind.

ralphfl
Weather Master

#52105 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:33 AM

IMO hats off to the GDFL and lesser but right on the traget for landfall the NOGAPS again.The GFS did not do good on this storm and the BAMM was not far behind the GFS.

So far the GDFL and NOGAPS have been the best this season so far.If they are true to from this will spare GA coast as the models show more oif a north biase then NE later in the forcast.

Just praying now it weakens fast per NHC after landfall in about 12 Hrs.

Steady weakening will
occur as the center moves over land. However Katrina has such a
large and powerful circulation that it will probably retain
hurricane intensity for about 12 hours...

Edited by ralphfl (Mon Aug 29 2005 11:34 AM)

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
      #52106 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:33 AM

Quote:

Please pardon my grammar today. Ive been on a coffee diet since 8pm last night.

DM, I for one am appreciative of the information you are passing on... DO NOT worry about grammar or typos on my behalf... As long as I can decipher the important stuff, the rest is just... well... small stuff... and I don't sweat the small stuff..<g>

Thank you for your efforts...

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: nate77]
      #52107 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:34 AM

WOW. ive never in 16 years since my first storm HUGO ,ever heard so many conflicting reports

Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Davenport, FL
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: ralphfl]
      #52108 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:34 AM

I don't think we will even begin to know the real damage this thing has caused either locally or nationally (I heard on the radio coming to work this morning that a big part of the oil imported into the US comes into LA) for several days. When we are paying $4 a gallon for gas and the reality of the economic and human disaster in NO and MI becomes apparent.

Edited by RedingtonBeachGuy (Mon Aug 29 2005 11:45 AM)

royener
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Clearwater, FL
      #52109 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:35 AM

DM when you say the equipment is in pace is it near the levees if so when the water level inside rises the equipment will not be accesible it would seem that the only way to repair them will be by barge from the outboard side, what is your take on this

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
      #52110 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:36 AM

From Nola.com

Breaking news

Here's a run-down of what they reported:
- In New Orleans, water topped a levee along the Industrial Canal. The city's 911 emergency system was out of service and Charity Hospital was on emergency power and windows had been blown out on five floors. The Police Department was operating on a backup power system. Three to four feet of water was reported on St. Claude Avenue at Jackson Barracks. And a 20-foot tidal surge knocked out four pumping stations; only one was able to get back into service.

Also in New Orleans, a bridge connecting a parking garage to Memorial Hospital collapsed.

- In Jefferson Parish, there was a report of a building collapse in the 200 block of Wright Avenue in Terrytown. Parish officials could not provide details other than to say they had been notified that people were inside the building.

- In St. Charles Parish, significant flooding was reported on the east bank.

- In Arabi, up to 8 feet of water was reported, and people are climbing into their attics to escape the flooding. "We're telling people to get into the attic and take something with them to cut through the roof if necessary,'' said Col. Richard Baumy of the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office. "It's the same scenario as Betsy.''

Baumy said 100-plus mph winds were preventing rescue efforts.

At Bayou Bienvenue, water levels were reported at 9 1/2 feet, almost twice normal levels.

- In St. John, massive power outages are reported.

--------------------
Jara

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: ralphfl]
      #52111 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:36 AM

Quote:

Can't believe people in N.O on TV are mad that they over hyped the storm when in fact they got lucky that it took at jog NE then back north again.

Why don't people be thankful then saying the NHC over hyped the storm.This is from Fox news.

Ralph, im sure people after they think will be thankful for this, but I have nver been thru a storm like this and im sure my first reaction would be this..

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: royener]
      #52112 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:39 AM

Most of the equipment is in the form of scrapers and dozers that where building up some weak spots. Since these leeves where built there has been alot of settling of the dirt. To my knowledge there is a 80ml layer of black plastic sheeting on the water sides of leeve. The equipment is portable and im sure it was pulled from atop the leeves before the storm.

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
      #52113 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:43 AM

Concerning the breach from Channel 4 WWLTV.com

.. A LEVEE BREACH OCCURRED ALONG THE INDUSTRIAL CANAL AT TENNESSE STREET. 3 TO 8 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED DUE TO THE BREACH...LOCATIONS IN THE WARNING INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO ARABI AND 9TH WARD OF NEW ORLEANS.

--------------------
Jara

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #52114 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:44 AM

Anyone heard from Danny, that he is o.k.?

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: nate77]
      #52115 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:47 AM

Taken from the Weather Channel blog:

Quote:
An amazing phone call just aired on The Weather Channel a few minutes ago from Jim Cantore's producer, Simon Temperton. The two of them are at the Armed Forces Retirement Home in Gulfport, Miss. (current conditions), where they have sought refuge from rapidly rising floodwaters on the second floor along with 300-400 residents of the home.

Here's some of what Simon reported in his phone call:

"We're going through some unbelievable conditions. Water is seeping into the building. I'd say we've had at least a 20-feet [of] storm surge. It has washed away all our rental cars, and everything else [in the parking lot]...

"Now water is seeping into the home and they are evacuating everyone to the second floor. I'm standing in 5 or 6 inches of water [on the second floor]. The power is out. There are a few emergency lights. It's a very daunting prospect right now....

"It's a very dangerous situation. I've been doing this for 15 years, and [I've] been Mr. Cantore's producer for many hurricanes, and I've never seen anything like this. This is probably the scariest situation we've ever been in -- just the sudden rise of water and how fast. They said we were good here for 27, 30 feet [of storm surge] -- they've never seen anything like it. They thought we were completely safe.

"We're not even shooting [video] anymore. We're basically in self-preservation [mode] right now. We're helping people put up boards and sandbags to keep the water from coming in. We've become part of the crew.

"In the time we've been talking, the water has risen, I'd say, another 3 inches. It's up to the top of my boots. The water keeps rising."

-- Posted by Laurel, Product Manager, The Weather Channel Interactive

--------------------
RJB

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Tide level - Lake Pontchartrain [Re: NewWatcher]
      #52117 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:49 AM

the NWS has just issued a tornado watch for Leon Co , FL (Tallahassee) and surrounding counties, including south GA. until 5:30pm..

Katrina has a long reach.

ralphfl
Weather Master

Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: Ron Basso]
      #52119 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:51 AM

Any live radar sites avil? i cant get N.O'S and now trying Mobile with no luck.On the NWS site.link?

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: Gulfport Tidal Flooding [Re: ralphfl]
      #52120 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:54 AM

I'm using:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmob.shtml

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

MarcoResi
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc:
try this [Re: ralphfl]
      #52121 - Mon Aug 29 2005 11:57 AM

try this http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.klix.shtml

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 669 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 65829

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center