F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52570 - Tue Aug 30 2005 07:43 PM

GOOD NEWS about the martial law.

Saw an article earlier that talked about looters walking right by Nat'l Guard troops and cops. Upon further review of the various articles and first hand accounts, the incredible scope of the problem forces me to stand by my earlier statement. Looting deserves consequences. Particularly the looting of things ther than food. No excuse. Especially during a time of crisis. The problem is at such a level that the drastic measures I mentioned earlier are perhaps justifiable. Such a shame that some people lack the decency to appreciate the fact that they're alive and are foreced to add insult to injury to the entrepreneurs of New Orleans.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9131493/
This tale of a woman watching the looting sums things up. Denise Bollinger, a tourist from Philadelphia, stood outside and snapped pictures [of the looting] in amazement.

“It’s downtown Baghdad,” the housewife said. “It’s insane. I’ve wanted to come here for 10 years. I thought this was a sophisticated city. I guess not.”

Another article I feel that is a must read. Numbers

Edited by Big Red Machine (Tue Aug 30 2005 08:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52571 - Tue Aug 30 2005 07:51 PM

I'm signing off for now, cause I am so upset right now at what is going on in N.O.. in regards to all the looting and no one stepping in to stop it.

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52572 - Tue Aug 30 2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

I'm signing off for now, cause I am so upset right now at what is going on in N.O.. in regards to all the looting and no one stepping in to stop it.

I think... just THINK... that manpower is limited and they are more interested in saving lives than saving 'stuff'....

One thing to consider... that video is being taken of looters and that video will aid in their being arrested and punished at a later time.

As disturbing as this is, Stuff can be replaced, human life cannot...

just my 2 cents..

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: StormKrone]
      #52573 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:12 PM

President Bush provided a glimpse of what the death toll may be when he stated that the number was 'sobering' at a news conference prior to his return to Washington. All efforts must first be made to rescue and provide some decent standards of living for the survivors like creating long term tent cities.

Everything else is secondary for now - like the price of fuel and jobs, etc.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Big Kahuna
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: DeLand, Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: StormKrone]
      #52574 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:17 PM

Dont know if arverybody has seen it but on the CFHC main page latest news, there is a link to Mark Sudduth video footage from GP. Unbelieveable!!!

http://www.hurricanelivenet.com/katduring.wmv
http://www.hurricanelivenet.com/aftermath.wmv
http://www.hurricanetrack.com

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Kahuna]
      #52575 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:21 PM

Just got a message on the answering machine from a BIL who lives in Biloxi but above I 10 . He just said the house is gone and his car is gone but he and the dog are ok

OcalaKT
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Kahuna]
      #52576 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Dont know if arverybody has seen it but on the CFHC main page latest news, there is a link to Mark Sudduth video footage from GP. Unbelieveable!!!

They should show scenes like these before future hurricanes hit. Then maybe people won't be tempted to ride out the storm. I know a number of the people had no choice since they lacked funds or vehicles to get out. Seems there should be some sort of system in place to get these people to shelters or out of the cities. Couldn't AMTRAK or Greyhound be used to get people with no transportation out of evacuation areas and to shelters in other towns?

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52577 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:31 PM

"I'm signing off for now, cause I am so upset right now at what is going on in N.O.. in regards to all the looting and no one stepping in to stop it. "

Honestly, there is no place to put the looters! They can't get them to jail. Too many more important things to do then gather up a bunch of low lives and stand guard over them. They will get what they deserve in due time. They always do!

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: mojorox]
      #52578 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:32 PM

Thank God! That's awesome news! He's got is life and that's the most valuable thing.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #52579 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:35 PM

Well we shall see what President Bush does. I was down in Miami for Andrew and saw what his father did not do. So I am hoping the son will be different. Its odd that the federal government removed almost 75% of their funding for New Orleans Pumps and Levy systems. Global warming and the straightening of the Mississippi River are contributing causes to the current situation. While straightening the river was great for big business, without the silt provided by the meandering Mississippi, barrier islands and/or wetlands cannot be sustained and have diminished dramatically over the years. These barrier islands normally act as buffers for hurricanes,etc.

Well enough of being on a political soap box, I feel very bad for everyone in that area. Hurricanes are not a force to be messed with.. Hopefully this is an eye opener.

Looters are secondary and frankly a nuicance, though a nice story for the media. However, what is concerning to me is the reports I hear on the media about houses that are underwater except the roofs. There are a lot of one story houses, and you see many of them up to their roofs in water. Many people stayed in their homes, and now are stuck in the crawl space in their roofs. With the temperatures in the 90's those people must be suffering big time. So whenever you see houses with water up to the roof on television, there maybe people in the crawl space of those roofs.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52580 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:37 PM

Agree with you whole-heartedly. If everyone that could have left would have, it wouldn't be near as tragic as it's going to be. I heard so many interviews about hype and what not. Many just plain weren't leaving. Sadly, the kids pay the price of parental ignorance. However, they stayed and now they are in big trouble. Lets get as many out as we can and pray that a horrible leason has been learned and will be remembered for every other hurricane that comes to the shore.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: emackl]
      #52585 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:58 PM

Unfortunately the looting will only get worse. In Miami and Homestead Fla (after Andrew) people were looting, fighting, killing, etc...over goods, supplies, water, ice, you name it. I live on the west coast and everyday for some time after the storm they had live reports from that area and i gotta tell ya - it was chaos. The national guard was there and helped setup the now infamous "tent city". After a while the looting and price gouging stopped, but not until the national guard stepped in. You think it's bad now with the flooded streets, wait until the water recedes and the looters have full access. Soon, if not already, they (the looters) will venture into homes and start carrying out peoples priceless possesions, clothes, anything of use and or value. This is how it went in Fla in 1992 for the first week or two after Andrew. I agree with most on here that right now the authorities main concern should be to save the living and recover the dead. The looters will meet their doom one way or another. As i read articles about the looting, i find it funny that law enforcement said looters would be treated "ruthlessly" - perhaps that was propaganda to disuade people from doing it. Obviously that was their initial intention because they are not doing anything about it - they are stealing stuff right under their nose.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Edited by damejune2 (Tue Aug 30 2005 09:00 PM)

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: emackl]
      #52586 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:01 PM

Steve from Metairie apparently made it out alive. Here is a post on S2K about him.

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=72461

Great news that he survived, but unfortunately it is not unscathed.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: damejune2]
      #52587 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:04 PM

"said looters would be treated "ruthlessly"

Actually, I believe that was one of the Mayors in Mississippi! When I saw him say it I had to laugh. I think he meant it..LOL! Not sure what is happening there as far as looting though. I think it has turned out so badly that looting may not be on his mind either.

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
      #52588 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:05 PM

The water won't recede in New Orleans - not in the areas inside the levees. It has to be pumped out. Sounds like the plan will be for all residents currently in the city to be evacuated out well before then

Surreal...

FelixPuntaGorda
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Punta Gorda, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: OcalaKT]
      #52589 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:08 PM

I went through Charley last year & you can believe me when I say that looters are the least of their problems right now. I know it's disturbing to watch, but on the scale of what the future holds for the victims of Katrina, looters will barely measure.

We were so lucky to have avoided the flooding here last year. Food, water, ice, medical help - all had a place to be disbursed. We had so much help here, so fast, that it was truly amazing. But we still had dry land & highways in & out of here.

Over a year later we still have "FEMA Village" with over a thousand people living there in trailers. Over 140 businesses (I believe that's a correct number) will never open again, leaving owners & employees without income. Inexpensive housing was all but eliminated, so even if those people do find jobs they won't be able to afford to live here.

I'm sorry, I'm babbling. This is bringing back all the terror & frustration, which will never really leave me.

I don't think that anybody, even those of us in this area, can really imagine how bad this is going to be. Please, donate any money that you can to the Red Cross or other charity. If you believe in prayer, say a prayer for the victims, because their nightmare is only beginning.

wiley
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: FelixPuntaGorda]
      #52590 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:14 PM

CNN reporting they are evacuating the refugee centers..

JMII
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Margate, Florida
      #52593 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:23 PM

I too remember the looting during Andrew. Just keep in mind in both cases the areas hit (Homestead / downtown NO) were lower income sections of the surround cities so these people were in bad shape already. Now that still does not make it right, but its a fact.

Right now saving lifes is more important then someone stealing a TV, afterall where are they going to plug it in? The big problem with looting is it's one of reasons listed as to why people don't want to leave thier homes when a storm is approaching.

Also after Andrew for every looting story you heard about there were several stories about people helping each other, donations by the truckload arriving daily and the overwhelming support for organizations like the Red Cross to your average Joe just showing up with his pickup truck full of ice in an effort to help.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: JMII]
      #52594 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:24 PM

I would like to 2nd that, Felix, JMII… not to focus on what I went through along time ago…

But the aftermath is truly the worst part of any hurricane… especially in a situation like this. I am not sure many people realize this, but therein lies the true hell.

However, I am afraid that this is really non-comparable to Charley, and in some ways, even Andrew. The demographics, the population, the shear difficulty in actually getting aid to the area… it all serves to make this an exponentially worse beast, if that can be believed. Watching this video… I am physically becoming sick.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Tue Aug 30 2005 09:25 PM)

WhitherWeather
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52595 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:25 PM

Quote:

Looting deserves consequences.

Unless the incursion of water is stopped, justice will likely visit the N.O. looters in ways best not imagined.

WhitherWeather

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63613

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center