F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52315 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:50 AM

I had not heard about the others; but a couple of hours I ago I did hear that all communication system failed in Bay St Louis. Don't know if any amateur radio info has gotten out of there. My antennas were disabled in a storm a few weeks back, so I am unable to listen.

--------------------
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: MikeC]
      #52316 - Tue Aug 30 2005 02:54 AM

I've spent most of the evening piecing together various television, Internet, and print media reports together trying to determine the extent of the damage to New Orleans. Most reports have come in near downtown, for obvious reasons, but there have been scattered reports elsewhere. Note that there have been few reports thus far from the Mississippi and Alabama coastlines -- everything I've heard has bordered on total destruction -- so I am just going to focus on New Orleans for now.

Of all areas in and around Southeast Louisiana, the central business district appeared to fare the best. Areas around the Superdome & downtown have sustained some major wind damage, with several building collapses and numerous trees down, but they largely escaped flooding and storm surge impacts. The French Quarter is in much the same boat as the CBD.

As you move more than about 10 blocks away in any direction, however, things get worse in a hurry. Reports of 12-15ft of water have come in near Tulane University. Slightly lower amounts have been found SW of town and between town and the Tulane area, but this still leaves 4-8' of standing water. Similar wind damage has occurred in this area to those downtown.

The worst part of town, as the media reports have focused on, is the West Bank and the 9th Ward, all largely between the Mississippi and the Gulf waters themselves. This includes areas such as Chalmette and is a microchasm of what was likely seen further to the SE in areas such as Venice and Buras. Most of this area took a direct hit from the western eyewall and has seen waters to the tops of houses. Making things worse is the fact that this area had the greatest percentage of people who could not or would not evacuate. I imagine many buildings in this area are total losses.

The Slidell area appears to have suffered from a similar fate, even with quite a bit of flooding, but the impacts from flooding are not quite as great there due to the angle of the coastline.

As you head north out of New Orleans, towards the lake, water levels rise once again. Parts of I-10 are still above water, but many parts of it are not. Areas around the Metairie Cemetary are under 12-15' of water. Heading west towards Metairie and Kenner -- and the New Orleans/Louis Armstrong Intl. Airport & Jefferson Parrish -- waters overtopped the levee system and have resulted in 4-6' of water in many locations. Some areas may have been spared floodwaters in homes and businesses, but only just so; slight undulations in elevation are the likely culprits for this. Nevertheless, roads such as Metairie Ave., Airline Hwy., and Williams Blvd. have sections under many feet of water. Water began topping the levees along the lake in Kenner and Metairie early Monday and continued into the afternoon hours.

Note that many people trying to get into the city from the west are stuck in the middle on elevated portions of road due to the higher waters between the east side of Metairie and the north/west sides of downtown.

Regions west of the airport in St. Charles Parrish, such as Destrehan, suffered an even worse fate due to the lack of levee protection. The levees end right along the St. Charles/Jefferson Parrish border, not far from the airport, and part of this distinction led to parts of both parrishes flooding. The flooding does not appear to be quite as bad here as to the east of the city, but still worse than most other parts of the city. Wind damage does not appear to be quite as bad, but the water is bad enough to cause major structural damage.

Residents say this event is worse than the extreme flooding of the city that occurred during May 8-9, 1995, where over 12" of rain fell at the airport in a 24hr span. Flooding was widespread across town and resulted in over $3 billion in damages, the costliest non-tropical weather event in US history. Coupled with the higher flood waters and the very strong winds, a conservative estimate of damage in New Orleans alone is likely $6 billion dollars. This does not even account for damage done to oil rigs in the Gulf, anything occurring south and southeast of the city near where the storm made landfall, or anything in Mississippi and Alabama (yet alone Florida, Georgia, and shortly Tennessee). The LSU damage estimate predictions -- available at http://www.nola.com/hurricane/content/katrina_projected_flooding082805.pdf -- appear to match very well with what was observed in the city, not a surprise given that these particular projections were run for a 115mph category 3 storm passing over the city -- essentially what the city saw on the west side of a slightly stronger Katrina.

Many, many people -- 775,000 last I saw -- have lost power and the entire region except for the CBD is under a boil water alert. The standing waters are going to be full of disease over the coming weeks and months and it is going to take probably a full month for the waters to recede in the eastern parts of the city. The safest parts of the city probably will not open back up for residents until late this week, if that, and power will likely not be restored for some time to come. While New Orleans was spared the absolute worst and the images coming in out of the CBD, bad as they are, may suggest that the city wasn't affected all that badly, everywhere else in and around town took the full force of this storm and took it hard. Keep everyone in your thoughts and prayers over the weeks to come as they try to recover from this storm.

If I get a chance and reports start to file in from the MS/AL coastlines -- a few are available at http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/12508173.htm -- I'll try to work on a similar report for those regions. Do note that in a 2.5hr span from 6-8:30p ET in the Atlanta region, 32 separate tornado warnings were issued for cells along the eastern periphery of the storm. The effects of this system are still far-reaching, even as it spins down, and will have to be watched through the middle of the week as it heads towards the NE US.

A very good source to keep up-to-date with the latest reports from New Orleans is the Nola.com blog at http://www.nola.com/newslogs/breakingtp/...08.html#074957. It is updated on a near-constant basis with the latest information. In the half-hour I spent gathering this information, a pumping station in Kenner came back online -- good news for the west side -- and a report from Mandeville came in, suggesting they largely escaped flooding but most roads are impassable due to downed trees.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Rasvar]
      #52319 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:08 AM

While viewing the latest raw aerial video of NO flooded areas, Joe Scarborough at MSNBC stated it reminded him of the tsunami damage from last year, and that, just as we did for the tsunami victims, we need to help the relief efforts in the effected areas. If you can, folks, send whatever you can to the Red Cross or Salvation Army. It's gonna be a long, hard road for quite a few northern Gulf people.

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: Clark]
      #52320 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:12 AM

Some one help me out here...

I just heard reports from local TV that a county in Mississippi has confirmed at least 50 people dead in that county.

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lafayette, La
Re: Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: nate77]
      #52323 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:21 AM

Quote:

I just heard reports from local TV that a county in Mississippi has confirmed at least 50 people dead in that county.

That is correct. WKRG in Mobile has a live feed on the internet. One of their reporters stopped in Biloxi on the way back from Louisiana and interviewed people. They just announced that they have 50 confirmed deaths so far in the Biloxi area..I don't remember the county name but it's in the Biloxi area...I just saw the clip again..Harrison County.

This reporter interviewed an older man who said he lost his wife. He said the water was rising in their house and he was holding on to his grandchildren and his wife. His wife told him to let her go...to tend to their grandchildren. He let her go and she was washed away.

So sad...

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

Edited by LisaMaria65 (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:32 AM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #52324 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:23 AM

Quote:

I am wondering if anyone has any news about 3 areas in particular that, it seems to me, are most at risk of catastrophic damage and loss of life (and coincidentally happen to have been wonderful places): Grande Isle LA, Pass Christian MS and Bay St. Louis MS. The news reports constantly refer to Biloxi, but these two MS locations were closer to the eye and the eye probably passed right over Grande Isle when at it's strongest on land. I fear they could have been nearly wiped out. Anyone know?

I watched the landfall very carefully, zooming in on the radar. The northern part of the eyewall went north right into the western MS coast, from the LA/MS state line over to Long Beach. The NE quad of the eye went N over Gulfport and Biloxi.

The western eyewall was just to the east of NO and I-10. I also saw a particularly strong section of the eyewall rotate over the Slidell area, which was in the NW section of the eyewall, so I assumed they were hit severely.

I have not heard any news for any place to the west of Gulfport. It was very creepy not hearing any news, because of what Camille did from Waveland to Pass Christian.

Plus I made the mistake of going to a friend's house and looking at the network TV news. We switched between ABC, CBS, and NBC, and guess what the hurricane was about? The superdome roof, two feet of flooding in the French Quarter, and the cost of your gasoline is going to go up. I was so shocked. I thought, this terrible, terrible thing has happened and no one in the country has any idea because it is invisible to the media. Then we turned on the public television channel and it was a thoughtful interview with the MEMA director (MS's EMA), Frank Latham I think, and it made my day to hear him say that as soon as the winds died down enough that it was possible, search and rescue operations would start. Just knowing that made me feel so much better.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

nate77
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: LisaMaria65]
      #52325 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is correct. WKRG in Mobile has a live feed on the internet. One of their reporters stopped in Biloxi on the way back from Louisiana and interviewed people. They just announced that they have 50 confirmed deaths so far in the Biloxi area..I don't remember the county name but it's in the Biloxi area.

This reporter interviewed an older man who said he lost his wife. He said the water was rising in their house and he was holding on to his grandchildren and his wife. His wife told him to let her go...to tend to their grandchildren. He let her go and she was washed away.

So sad...

OMG..

Harrison County was where this happened

Edited by nate77 (Tue Aug 30 2005 03:32 AM)

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #52326 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:26 AM

Quote:

I am wondering if anyone has any news about 3 areas in particular that, it seems to me, are most at risk of catastrophic damage and loss of life (and coincidentally happen to have been wonderful places): Grande Isle LA, Pass Christian MS and Bay St. Louis MS. The news reports constantly refer to Biloxi, but these two MS locations were closer to the eye and the eye probably passed right over Grande Isle when at it's strongest on land. I fear they could have been nearly wiped out. Anyone know?

I hate to think of the possible damage in Grand Isle.
I don't know about Pass Christian.

A reporter getting back to Mobile said that when she got to the Bay St. Louis exit on I-10, it was closed. She said the flooding there was Unreal. She had a video clip of that area...the water was almost all the way up to the top of the Red Light which she said is over 10 feet high. It basically looked like a lake right off of I-10.

That is all I've heard/seen.

--------------------
Lived through Betsy ('65), Camile ('69), Edith ('71), Carmen ('74), Danny ('85), Andrew ('92), Lili ('02), Rita ('05), Gustav ('08)....Who's next?

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: Margie]
      #52328 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:38 AM

Tomorrow is going to be one of those dreadful days where the media and everyone else will wake up to more of what happened. It's close to Camille level damage, but more spread out along that part of the coast, I think.

I hope I'm wrong. Katrina is why I hate hurricanes.

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #52329 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:39 AM

Quote:

That number is now at 55.

www.wkrg.com has an internet feed and they are reporting a lot of coverage...all horribly sad but if you want info for the Mobile/Mississippi area, it would be a good link.

--------------------

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #52330 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:41 AM

Quote:

Tomorrow is going to be one of those dreadful days where the media and everyone else will wake up to more of what happened. It's close to Camille level damage, but more spread out along that part of the coast, I think.

I hope I'm wrong. Katrina is why I hate hurricanes.

you said a mouthful...

unfortunately, i got a song runnin' thru my head right now...and i'm still in shock...it's by bto...and it pertains to what the morning light will reveal to us all...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

CoalCracker
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
      #52331 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:43 AM

Just finished watching WKRG Mobile. 50 dead in Harrison County, most at an apartment complex in Biloxi. They reaired the segment about the man who lost his wife. Gut wrenching. Home destroyed, wife washed away, nowhere to go with the kids. Say a prayer for all those folks, say a long hard prayer.

WiscoWx

Reged:
Loc: Madison, WI
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: LisaMaria65]
      #52332 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:44 AM

The report of 50 some fatalities is from Harrison County, which is where Gulfport is. Given the kind of surge Jim Cantore reported from Gulfport, we know that conditions were very extreme there. I haven't seen any reports from the next country west, Hancock, which includes Waveland and Bay St. Louis. It's more lightly populated, but since Katrina made her final landfall around the mouth of the Pearl River I'd say from that point to Biloxi was the zone most severely impacted.

The terrible reality is that as search and recovery continues through the night and into daylight tomorrow, the toll will surely rise. It is sobering to consider how much greater a loss of life would have come to pass had Katrina not weakened prior to landfall or if a more densely populated area like New Orleans had received the kind of hit that Bay St. Louis, Pass Christian, and Gulfport did.

KATFIVE
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: MikeC]
      #52333 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:47 AM

I'm sure many of you have been watching CNN, FOX etc. The scope of the disaster is more than I imagined. As of early afternoon, I thought perhaps that we had dodged a bullet. Now it seems that we have a catastrophic situation in some locals, and the extent of the damage is only slowly coming to light. It scares me that we don't hear much about some areas (grand isle, st. louis bay, and other areas). It seems the potential for major loss of life is much greater than any US-landing hurricane in my experience. The only small grace is it could have been much much worse, but that is no solace, for the good people of LA, MS, AL and FL.....

LisaMaria65
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: CoalCracker]
      #52334 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:49 AM

Quote:

Just finished watching WKRG Mobile. 50 dead in Harrison County, most at an apartment complex in Biloxi. They reaired the segment about the man who lost his wife. Gut wrenching. Home destroyed, wife washed away, nowhere to go with the kids. Say a prayer for all those folks, say a long hard prayer.

That's the one...It is almost impossible to watch. I sat here and cried while watching that poor man talk about his wife and what happened.

It will only get worse!

--------------------

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: Clark]
      #52335 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:55 AM

Excellent summation of the NO area, I dont know whether you folks have had an opportunity to listen to the interview of Jeanne Meserve who went out into one of the flooded areas, but it apparent that she was witness to many awlful thngs. As we sit here now, it appears that the water levels in some, if not many areas of NO are continuing to go up.

Folks this is going to be an epic catastrophy just for NO, thet is going to get worse in the coming days. We havent even heard yet from anywhere near LA landfall was made near the mouth of the Mississippi. From Slidell to Gulfport, we know very little, and I gotta say based on that being the epicenter, I fear many souls have lost their lives today, much more than the 50 number we have recently heard.

WeatherNLU
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans, LA
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: LisaMaria65]
      #52336 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:56 AM

I wanted to quickly check in with everyone.....me and the family are safe, we are in northern MS. Reports from people who stayed behind is that basically the entire parish I live in (St. Bernard) is under water. I have heard that there is a minimum of 7 feet everywhere and that some places have as much as 15 feet of water.....i.e. it's way past the roofs. So, here I sit, far from home with nothing left and with the knowledge that it may be weeks before I get to see the ruins that used to be my home. I have no idea how to pay for a hotel room, food, bills, etc. for weeks with no job for me or my wife to go home to from what I understand. Really, it's almost surreal at this moment in time, I have no idea what's going to happen or what to expect. I know some of you went through the same thing over there in FL last year......maybe you can help me see the light in the tunnel, because right now it's pretty bleak.

Of course, me and my family have our lives, unlike many others tonight.

--------------------
I survived Hurricane Katrina, but nothing I owned did!

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Piecing New Orleans Together [Re: LisaMaria65]
      #52337 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:57 AM

Read this a little bit ago.......it's a quote i selected and the link to the entire story.

"Let me tell you something folks: I've been out there. It's complete devastation," said Gulfport, Miss., Fire Chief Pat Sullivan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/29/national/main802131.shtml

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: KATFIVE]
      #52338 - Tue Aug 30 2005 03:57 AM

Unfortunately come morning I fear we will all be seeing the devastation caused by Katrina. Hopefully all will take heed and not forget that we have to take every precaution necessary if we are threatened never becoming complacent and thinking we have been lucky for so long and we will not be a victim.

wiley
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Katrina Aftermath [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #52339 - Tue Aug 30 2005 04:00 AM

"me and the family are safe"

For right now, one of the happier postings I've seen. God bless you and yours.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 63606

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center