F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: LI Phil]
      #52662 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wish there was anything i could do.

you can ryan...help the red cross help the victims...and it doesn't have to be money...donate blood, man a call center, gather up clothes, bottled water, blankets, anything they say will be needed...click the post at the top of every page on this site or call 1-800-HELP-NOW. you can also pay pal mike on this site and he'll get the money there...

anyone and everyone who can help in any way...please do so...this isn't a local disaster, it's an AMERICAN disaster...

>>> im moving too buffalo area next yr so illl be a nyorker

well, not really, but thanks for your kind words...

*still crying*

i have gave water and non-preishable foods tot he red cross already, clothes to my church who send them to Louisiana-Mississippi, i just wish theyre was a way to like save every life you know, the power of nature has truly proven itself dangerous to me.

Thank you all for your sympathy im sure there's people in my same situation.

and nl, why buffalo?, business..family?, that's kind of Canada..i consider it Canada.

This is a bad start to my birthday countdown, huh?

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #52663 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:48 PM

To Ryan: my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

I am also deeply saddened (and disgusted) to report this from Tallahassee. It seems that Katrina evacuees in our fair city (read sarcasm) are being told by motels that they have to vacate their rooms by Friday since all motels are booked for the upcoming Miami/FSU game.

And, to add insult to injury, the churches that are being used as shelters want the evacuees out so that they (churches) can prepare for Sunday services.

So much for asking, "what can I do to help?"

I am doing what I can to get the word out to see how the community-at-large will respond to this situation.

At all cost, business-- the bottom line -- will prevail.. Also, please note that this is a restrained post, I restrained from saying what I'd really like to say.
i'll say it for you. the hell with business. these places are shelters for refugees. football games and church services will have to take a back seat. that is the way things are now. --HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Aug 30 2005 10:20 PM)

tpratch

Reged: Fri
Loc: Maryland
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: StormKrone]
      #52664 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:52 PM

The motels are quasi-understandable (somewhat reprehensible, but still borderline acceptable business practices).

The churches however, ought to find a way to accomodate people. What sort of message are they giving by saying "we thought it would just be a day or two, we weren't ready to commit to this"?

*sighs and shakes head*

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
football versus hurricanes [Re: StormKrone]
      #52665 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:52 PM

last year before jeanne made landfall, there was a rather heated discussion on the boards because dave wannstead (EX coach of the dolphins) did NOT want to move the dolphin game...in fact i damn near quit the boards over it...(not the football game, the discussion here)...don't even get me started

and i love football, so it has nothing to do with that...but people don't have any priorities anymore...it absolutely blows my mind

sorry for the vent...back to reality

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

nl
Storm Tracker

Loc: nsb,fl
      #52667 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:54 PM

are u kidding me? im a really big nole fan and if i had a ticket or a booked room i would glady give up my room for them. how dare them! and for the churches no comment!

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indianapolis
      #52668 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:56 PM

O.K., If that turns out to be the case I'm really ticked off. FLORIDA should know better. This is a classic example where the media can be a blessing. If this would get national airplay, it would certainly change their tune. Anyone have any connections?

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

#52669 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:56 PM

The scumbag looters I thought were bad enough...now the prison post & this,,,I hope this gets out to every paper, radio, politican in Tally...I hope ticket holders boycott...2nd thought I bet they wouldn't...doesn't affect them...geez this is so sad...the words I want to use right now are so bad...and CHURCHES...what a world we live in.

Just as times like these bring out the best in mankind it also unfortunatly brings out the worse...where's the compassion, the empathy?

Ryan...I am sorry for your loss...my thoughts are with you & your family.

Londovir
Weather Guru

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #52670 - Tue Aug 30 2005 08:59 PM

I share and extend my heartfelt sympathies to all (esp. Ryan) who have suffered greatly through this horrific natural disaster. We suffered in small comparison last year through 3 canes in Florida, and our minor inconveniences, which seemed so difficult to bear then, seem now to be selfishly extravagant.

I just watched the video of the poor gentleman whose wife was pulled away from his grip when his house split apart. I'd read about it before, but hadn't seen it on video. The emotion is so heart-wrenching it brings tears to my eyes, and I'm not a softie really. Then I just saw video of people rescuing a guy from the attic of his house. His exhaustion was so profound, and the look of joyous relief to be rescued just continues to pull at my soul while I sit here watching.

I'm blessed because, when it gets too hard, I can turn the channel to get some relief. My heart goes out to those whose lives don't have a channel to change to feel better.

God bless all of you affected by this tragedy. Our prayers go out to you.

--------------------
Londovir

WhitherWeather
Verified CFHC User

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52671 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:00 PM

The pump at the 17th street canal has failed. The water is going to rise faster, and is going to rise to the level of Lake Pontchartrain--3' above sea level.

Now being predicted that even the French Quarter will be under up to 9' of water within 12-15 hours. This from the Mayor of New Orleans.

Being reported live on WWLTV WWL TV Live coverage.

WhitherWeather

Humanriff
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Davenport, FL
      #52672 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:01 PM

I've gotta say that as far as "looting" is concerned, what I am seeing on these feeds is just people trying to stay alive. They seem to be taking food and drinks. Since the economic system has broken down, and a lot of this food will go bad pretty fast, and there is no potable water, I can't say that if I was in the same situation and didn't have any food and water stored (which I do) I might be doing some "looting" myself. This is entirely different to me from people taking electronics and bling. I just feel bad for these people who are just trying to survive in what will soon be an unsurvivable situation.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Humanriff]
      #52673 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:06 PM

The food & water could be understandable..desperate times & all that...but what is the excuse for the people taking bags of clothes, tvs, breaking open atms? That's low...a very, very bad word to decsribe them...profiting from the misery of others.What the hell do they need a tv for...there's no electric.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Humanriff]
      #52674 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:11 PM

i've seen the footage, and anyone who's "looting" food, diapers, anything to survive...i'd prolly do it too...

those taking tvs and stereos...those holding cops hostage or tv camera crews...i not only have no sympathy for, but i would wholeheartedly support the national guard units in SHOOTING THEM if they didn't immediately drop what they were carrying and surrendering...

martial law...people...god

and you know what...

we ain't seen NOTHING yet

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: twizted sizter]
      #52675 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:14 PM

Everything I've read for the last day has left me with dread, and it only keeps getting worse.

------

Here's a photo of the levee breach:

http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/homepage/hp8-30-05ii.jpg

--RC

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52676 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:20 PM

one of the worst things i think is like ok my house didn't get destroyed but its filled with water and im gonna have to rip it down when all's over with after mold takes it over. True, or not true?

--------------------
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

age234
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Winter Park
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52678 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:25 PM

MSNBC is showing footage of looters in an Alabama Wal-Mart, looking right into the camera grinning with a cart full of CDs. I hope they catch them with the help of this footage, and throw them away for the rest of their lives.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
      #52679 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:26 PM

MY trip to N.O. has been put off until friday. I am a good source of information at this time whether it by critical of logistical. I would rather answer questions than tie up endless post with information. Please feel free to ask away.

R.P.
National Flood Insurance Program

VandyBrad
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Bryan, TX
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: BTfromAZ]
      #52680 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:27 PM

Quote:

CNN is broadcasting comments from a WDSU (NO NBC affiliate) reporter who says their station's transmitter was "fried" but, worse yet, they found it impossible to report the story from New Orleans because people were demanding their reporters hand over their cameras or anything else that could be used for barter. The station has packed up and moved to Jackson, MS!!! He also mentioned reports of car-jacking and a policeman being shot. What we have here, folks, is anarchy and it will only get worse until large numbers of military troops arrive. Where are they?

My brother is stationed at Ft. Polk, LA. He was due to return to Iraq from RR to complete his second term there. As I last heard, they were due to leave yesterday. I'm not sure if that occurred or not but it seems to me that he would be better off serving in his own backyard than returning at a time like this.

--------------------
Brad Shumbera

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

#52681 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:27 PM

Wait till you see the footage of the @#%$ going thru the Wal-Mart stealing carts of toys, cds...I believe Wal-mart is making a sizeable donantion...as they should...I hope they blow the faces up of these people, post the pics & refuse them so much as abottle of water...sorry I'm an eye for an eye type of gal.

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52682 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:28 PM

this is really random, sorry, but i was wonderig if theres a snow forum or winter weatehr forum as we prepare for what aome are saying a "snowy snowy winter"...sorry, if this gets removed i understand...you can PM me with sites that would be great thanks for all your help and sympathy, again

--------------------
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
      #52683 - Tue Aug 30 2005 09:29 PM

Just heard an interview with the Attorney General of NO. Not too impressed. If fact, it the looters heard him they will be out in force tonight.

Ryan, I'm so sorry for you loss. Hang in there.

Any news from Rick, Frank, Margie's brother or the other members?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 284 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50934

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center