F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
WhitherWeather
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Margie]
      #52732 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:43 PM

A great relief to hear that your brother is alive. News of every personal triumph of survival is balm for many troubled souls.

WhitherWeather

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
G. J.
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Disaster Master]
      #52733 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:44 PM

Quote:

I have more than 3000 rounds of amunition in my shop out back. i will donate all to deal with these Scumm Bag looters.

I've got 500 rounds of .44mag. loaded with 300gr. Hornady XTP's stacked on top of the highest amount of Winchester 296 powder recommended for any handgun I'd gladly donate

That was funny Phil

yeah, and i'll donate all my 7mm RM 160gr. to charity, too. come on, quit talking about shooting looters. i'm sure the army will take care of things... if some jackasses want martial law, they've bit off a lot more than they can chew.-HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Aug 30 2005 11:07 PM)

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #52735 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:45 PM

I'm listening to Ed Reams with WDSU/Channel 6 for New Orleans. He just said that he heard from the mayor that another levee (sp?) is now on the verge of breaking because sandbags that were supposed to be delivered by the Army could not be delivered. Another reporter said that a looter shot a policeman in the head, but that he is expected to live. The reporter also said that if the mayor is correct and most of the city will be underwater, the looters loot won't be worth anything because they'll all be underwater. The reporter also said that he is reporting from Jackson, MS because they felt they were in too much danger. I think you could say LA is in a state of mass confusion. Have there been any reports from Grand Isle, LA? At 6:30 tonight, NBC News reported that no one had been able to get there.
There is no way they can get that water out until they are able to get the pumps working again. That can't happen until they have electricity. The pumps that are running on diesel are failing because it's just too much for them to handle, so they are just shutting them down. It will be weeks before that water is gone.
I have a question: if they want to evacuate the Superdome, just how are they going to do that? I know they are moving them up, but how to get them down to get them out? They are also taking people from Tulane University Hospital TO the Superdome because of flooding. There are (what looks to be) 100's of people sitting under the overpasses near the Superdome. Where is higher ground and HOW are they going to get there?
Next question: has anyone heard from the UN or our so-called allies telling the US that they would do anything to help us? So far, the only countries I've heard about is Saudi Arabia and Venezuala.
I am now hearing on CNN that the police and the National Guard are making their presence known in the looting areas.
Looking at these pictures is like looking at the tsunami videos from December or some Third World country.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: San Antonio G0! Spurs Go!
Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Colleen A.]
      #52736 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:48 PM

Grand Isle is part of the Mississipi River now. only a hand full of people stayed. No reports from that area other that , it being gone.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

#52737 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:49 PM

75,000 National Gaurd.
40 countries have made pledges.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

#52738 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:51 PM

Just got via fax that 40 Shipping containers will be barged in tomorrow and they will fill them with dredge from the river side of the mississipi. to try another repair on the 300ft portion of breeched leeve.

bobbutts
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc: New Hampshire
      #52739 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:51 PM

Quote:

The worst case scenario only required a Cat 2 in the right location, not a strong storm.

Katrina was in the right location and the west side of the storm was very week (this attenuatin could be seen prior to landfall as dry air made its way into the hurricane), so it could be compared to NO getting a Cat 2.

I was thinking today that the amazing wind speeds, and the center of the cone right over the city with Katrina before landfall saved alot of lives. Had it been an 'innocent' looking cat 1-2 come in, especially one that took a surprise path very few probably would have left and loss of life would have been worse.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #52741 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:52 PM

Colleen, assuming they can get boats to the SuperDome, they can get them out. There are circular ramps around the outside that are open air. People inside the Dome were apparently trying to get space on the ramps to get out of the heat inside.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
      #52742 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:53 PM

Oh, Margie...thank God! I am so happy to hear that! (((hugs)))

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: StormHound]
      #52743 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:53 PM

it would be logisticaly impossible to move 30,000 people by boat from the supedome

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

#52744 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:56 PM

that is 6,000 trips @ 5 people per trip in a flat bottom boat.

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
      #52745 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:56 PM

Is it the rising water that is concern for the people in the Superdome or the lack of supplies and necessities? I know everyone is doing everything they can, it just doesn't seem like it is going fast enough. I don't have to words to explain, just being helpless while watching all of this unfold...

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

StormHound
Weather Guru

#52746 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:57 PM

Quote:

it would be logisticaly impossible to move 30,000 people by boat from the supedome

Can you think of any other options? They certainly can't airlift them by helicopter. They did say something about land vehicles that have a few feet of ground clearance. I'd imagine they'd have logistical problems getting in there.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
      #52747 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:57 PM

Quote:

Yeah, assuming inflatables which they can put in easiest, it would take 120 inflatables on half hour round trips 24 hours to move 30,000 people.

It would probably be faster and have less chance of a riot to build a floating dock from the freeway to the superdome and let the people walk.

StormHound
Weather Guru

#52749 - Tue Aug 30 2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

I'm not talking a small boat. I'm talking military craft that handle 50 to 100 people at a time.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#52750 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not talking a small boat. I'm talking military craft that handle 50 to 100 people at a time.

You don;t have the ground clearence for that type of craft. You're talking about keel depth of 30+ feet for most of the larger ships. You have to first get them into the city, then have them clear both the ground and all the houses and other buildings. You simply can't do it.

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52751 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:01 PM

Have any floating docks lying around the garage long enough to cover that much ground?

I've read estimates of anywhere from 20,000 to 60,000 people in the Dome. Anyone have a relatively accurate number?

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Disaster Master
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Katrina Aftermath Continues [Re: Random Chaos]
      #52752 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:02 PM

Which road would you get the materials in from. The Flooded roads , or the Interstate that has 300ft missing from it in both directions. Im not trying to sound like a jerk, but im sure all options are on the table at this time. Superdome has 3 levels with plumbing and kitchens on all levels. The main concern is getting plumbing and fresh water to these people before complete chaos breaks out. N.O. has many gangs. Its only a matter of time before there is a riot in that dome.

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
      #52753 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:02 PM

Mayor of NO is on CNN now and just 12-14k people in the Dome.

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

#52754 - Tue Aug 30 2005 11:03 PM

Well, the floating docks they put up in Annapolis for the annual boat shows could probably cover a couple miles. I'm sure they could find enough floating docks if they put their minds to it.

As for how to get the stuff there - no idea.

But you can't get the people out by sea or air any easier.

Edited by Random Chaos (Tue Aug 30 2005 11:04 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 50928

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center