F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)
DJINFLA
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Categorizing Katrina [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52911 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:47 AM

That letter by Mr. Sinclair seems identical to one that made its rounds just after 9/11. Still applies today.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: Categorizing Katrina [Re: DJINFLA]
      #52912 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:48 AM

Exactly my thoughts as well.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Re: MIT's study [Re: WiscoWx]
      #52914 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:50 AM

I think the President should visit as quickly as possible.

TheSkyGuy-in-OZ

Reged: Wed
Loc: Australia
      #52915 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:50 AM

Hi, to all
I've just signed up after a week of using your site for Hurricane information
Firstly I'd like to say I'm saddened by all your losses of life and hoping mother nature will be kinder in the future
But I need to let you know that people in Australia (and I guess other countries) get there information
on these events from your main stream media and they have been telling us (up to about now) that
katrina's impact only caused some flooding and roof damage
One of my friends even told me he herd a report on TV from CNN the Katrina was over-hyped?
I think this is why it has taken us and other countries so long to respond to this disaster
I don’t watch any TV or listen to radio, and all my information has come from you guys here
(And a great job you are doing too)
Now that the truth is filtering thou, people are shocked (and finally believing what I've been telling them)
and will be trying to help in any way possible

Anyway I hope my post is suitable for this dissuasion

I am hoping the storms will be Lesser in the coming month and years for you
We are expecting a more intense cyclone season this year and next and are hoping we don’t get a Katrina

Stay Safe, Think Smart, Leave Before The Storm!!!

--------------------
The Eye In The Sky

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Re: Categorizing Katrina [Re: TheSkyGuy-in-OZ]
      #52918 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:55 AM

Katrina is not overhyped. The devastation is overwhelming. Many people in these areas did not have the means to get out.
Many live paycheck to paycheck. Now they have no place to go. The death toll will rise as more dead will be found.
Food and water are needed desparately. The people housed in the Superdome are going to have to be moved and are supposed to
moved to Houston. This is one of the worst natural disasters in U.S. history.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: Categorizing Katrina [Re: TheSkyGuy-in-OZ]
      #52921 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:58 AM

Thank you so much for your deep sympathies from down under, please get the word out. The internet has been saturated with this story, I find it hard to believe that no one goes to CNN or FOX News Website to see this catastrophic event that is unfolding in our great Nation of ours.

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
Re: MIT's study [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #52922 - Wed Aug 31 2005 10:58 AM

Quote:

I think the President should visit as quickly as possible.

I for one would have to totally disagree. If he were to go into the area the police and other resources would have to be pulled away from looking for people and other rescue operations. He can wait a few or several days when things become more stable. There are way too many other important needs that need to be met first. Things like shelter, food, water, medical, safety....

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Re: MIT's study [Re: firestar_1]
      #52924 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:04 AM

I agree, but he can do a helicopter/plane ride to veiw the enormous devastation that surrounds the Gulf Coast. That way, the resources needed won't be as great if he were to travel by car or on foot.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

#52925 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:05 AM

Remember, the rules have been relaxed, but we must be careful to not announce political items on this blog.

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #52926 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:07 AM

Mike has started a new thread.

Remember that political opinion or comment is really not appropriate on this site.

Use the Disaster Forum for specific information or questions.

Finally, please try to eliminate one-liners - CFHC is not a chat room, it is a Forum-oriented site.

Thanks for your help.
ED

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Presidential Visit? [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #52927 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:08 AM

A visit from the president would be too premature and would divert resources needed elsewhere. The president can help by ensuring that the military, Energy Dept, and the private sector can work with the impacted local governments in providing the manpower, food, water and developing sites for sheltering tens of thousands who have lost everything for a period that may very well exceed 1 year.

He can also help by ensuring we obtain the refining capabiltities to ensure the national energy needs are provided.

He can accomplish this from Washington and not be in the way in the stricken areas. This is about logistics, it is not poiltical.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Leia

Loc: Dallas, TX
      #52928 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:09 AM

Quote:

I already knew that, I wanted to remind everyone of where we stand as a country during a catastropic event as this (Alone")

Truly ashamd at no responses giving so far to our country from any other country in the world as of today, 31 August 2005.

This is not the case. Specifically, Venezuela offered support yesterday morning. Saudi Arabia is offering to hike oil production to help. Also, yesterday DisasterMaster stated that 40 countries have offered support: http://flhurricane.com/cyclone/showflat....=true#Post52737

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
Re: MIT's study [Re: The Force 2005]
      #52929 - Wed Aug 31 2005 11:10 AM

deleted-getting off topic

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

Edited by firestar_1 (Wed Aug 31 2005 11:11 AM)

JMII
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Margate, Florida
Re: words are inadequate to describe Katrina [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #52963 - Wed Aug 31 2005 01:30 PM

Quote:

WHY would people stay?...I can't understand that...
they won't now.

This could be the curse or blessing of this horrible storm. When warnings go up now your going to see everyone scramble to get out resulting in long lines of traffic, no gas on highways/interstates, accidents and who knows what else. On the other hand maybe now people will listen and not stay... thus in the end lives will be saved. I know here in S FL people are going to board up and get out even if Cat1 comes since Katrina caught many off guard.

Now for an actual weather related question
I've read reports and seen picture of cars that "exploded" in the storm - IE: trunks open, windows blow OUT (not broken in) and the like. During Andrew we were all told that you should not crack a window slightly open to relieve the pressure and that whole pressure/exploding house stuff was just a wives tale from days before good science taught us better. Any comments on this? Thanks.

--------------------
South FL Native... experienced many tropical systems, put up the panels for:
David 79 - Floyd 87 - Andrew 92 - Georges 98 - Frances 04 - Wilma 05 - Matthew 16 - Irma 17
Lost our St James City rental property to Ian 22

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 51595

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center