F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
new addition [Re: NewWatcher]
      #53219 - Thu Sep 01 2005 01:42 PM

nrl is tracking 91L as 14L now, so i guess NHC has finally made the upgrade. that thing isn't going away... you can only drag your feet on it for so long.
HF 1342z01september

this is close enough to the worst case scenario--the louisiana governor is saying that the new orleans death toll is in the thousands, as if to confirm earlier speculation. i wouldn't have believed this two days ago. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Thu Sep 01 2005 01:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
Re: new addition [Re: HanKFranK]
      #53222 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:22 PM

HF, I can't help but notice that burst of convection east of Fl and Bahamas. That's not something that can develop is it?

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #53223 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:25 PM

Here we go into September and we have 14L out there trying to get together. Next couple of days it becomes more favorable for tropical cyclone development. May have another fish spinner from what I see this morning..........I hope so....I wonder what this month has in store for us ?......Weatherchef

Londovir
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: new addition [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #53224 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:30 PM

I have a question. I just saw on CNN that they have reports from Keesler AFB that the base is "95% smashed", according to someone in the Air Force.

Since that's the home of the Hurricane Hunter fleet, and since Pensacola took a little whipping too, where do you think they'll be moving the fleet to? I imagine with 91L and the rest out there trying to do something, should the need arise they'll need to have a good base of operations to work out of.

I'm just curious as to whether or not there's an established secondary base to work from.

--------------------
Londovir

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Philadelphia
Re: new addition [Re: Londovir]
      #53225 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:37 PM

As the Hurricane hunters were returning from their mission, they were flying back to the base in Texas. Not I don't know if all the hunter planes remained,there or mover to another location, but hope all the hunter planes remained.

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
      #53226 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:37 PM

HF - Don't take this personally. I really do NOT like your posts this morning. (still like you though ) ARGHHH please tell me it ain't so.

Unfortunately NewsWatcher, I see what you see on this....the climate/pattern stage is being set and I'm not so sure I like the decorator.

Today is my b-day...I always dread it because it's so close to Labor Day (always) and Labor Day hasn't been real good (weather wise) as of late. Let us all hope for a quiet one please!

Heard some "good" news on Katrina Help: As we all know, Jerry Lewis holds his telethon on Labor Day Weekend. Well, WRMF (local radio station here) reported this morning that not only are they accepting donation for MD but the first 4 hrs. and last 4hrs. of the telethon, they are collecting for Hurricane Katrina Relief. Not sure why only the first & last 4hrs. but, I'll be tuned in to make another donation and to see what they end up with. My daughter's school is collecting stuff too...I have the good fortune to be able to afford to buy my family more hurricane supplies so when I go to pick her up later I'm going to donate the stash I have now. I just wish I could do more.

Also more "good" news: WSVN (local "doom & gloom TV station here) said there is a website : Craigslist.org that people are posting rooms available in their own homes for the victims of this tragedy. Here's the article:

Craigslist.org Article

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! from CFHC

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 01 2005 03:02 PM)

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: new addition [Re: native]
      #53227 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:46 PM

LATEST SATELLITE Dvorak CLASSIFICATIONS INDICATE THAT A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION HAS FORMED IN THE CENTRAL TROPICAL ATLANTIC ABOUT 1000
MILES EAST OF THE NORTHERN LEEWARD ISLANDS.

td 14 lives

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: new addition [Re: NewWatcher]
      #53229 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:57 PM

This is what HF was talking about, and J.B as well. Hope it doesn't pan out to be nothing but a "spinner" but we all know too well that may not be the case. How much more can we endure till 30 NOV 2005.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: new addition [Re: The Force 2005]
      #53230 - Thu Sep 01 2005 02:59 PM

Not much but also remember that date is NOT set in stone... these "dang" things do whatever the "heck" they want.

" " indicate the willingness to adhere to the no cussing rules even tho i dont want to

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: new addition [Re: native]
      #53231 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:01 PM

Just a side post,

Where are all the "Billioneres" in this country? When the country needs the most, it is the ordinary citizen like us who contribute our homes and or donate. These wealthy individuals who hold probally a Trillion dollars combined, should shell out some of their wealth to who need it now. I would like to see Bill Gates offer a Billion dollars , or the Walmart family, and others. People are struggling and they need all of us to contribute. The people who have very little to give, give the most. How I ronic.!!

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #53232 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Just a side post,

Where are all the "Billioneres" in this country? When the country needs the most, it is the ordinary citizen like us who contribute our homes and or donate. These wealthy individuals who hold probally a Trillion dollars combined, should shell out some of their wealth to who need it now. I would like to see Bill Gates offer a Billion dollars , or the Walmart family, and others. People are struggling and they need all of us to contribute. The people who have very little to give, give the most. How I ronic.!!

i think you'd be surprised to know how much these guys give away...of course they get a nice tax write-off so it ain't entirely outta the good of their hearts...but they give A LOT...

instead of the capitans of industry, who busted their humps to get where they are and are already giving back, howzabout all the sports figures and rock stars and hollywood types???

where's diddy when ya need him, huh?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Dr. Lyons [Re: jaybythebay]
      #53233 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:10 PM

If this develops where does it look like it will go? Seems things are getting very active.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #53234 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:13 PM

I wouldn't bash Bill Gates. He's notorius for large charitable donations. Also, Walmart was one of the first in with truckloads of supplies. Not only that but they didn't inventory it. Just loaded up heeps and heeps of stuff. No inventory, No write off. They also cut a check for 1 million and there's more to come. Many, many wealthy people make huge donations but don't get a rise out of doing it puplicly. They'll get critisized for no donation then next years tax records will tell the truth. However, no one will mention it. Not only that but don't forget that those wealthy people own the companies that are busting there butts to do anything to help.

native
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: SE Florida
Re: Dr. Lyons [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #53235 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:14 PM

Beaumont - Are you talking about TD 14? If so, here ya go:

www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/ATL/14L.NONAME/ssmi/gif/full/Latest.html

CFHC - Thank you. Dig the birthday cake!

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged:
Loc: florida
Re: Tropical Storm Lee Forms, No Threat to Land [Re: MikeC]
      #53236 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:22 PM

92L may also form into a deppression later on today.

The Force 2005
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: new addition [Re: emackl]
      #53237 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:24 PM

I wasn't bashing Bill Gates, I know he has giving alot, I was just saying that they (Relief ORG's) need money, alot of it. I also know tha Walmart has donated as well. There are so many wealthy people in this country, that when a disaster, especially one of this magnatude, we nver here from them. That's along with the Entertainers as well. I know in the days and weeks, perhaps months, we will see the money flowing in. I was just ranting.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
92L [Re: hurricane expert]
      #53240 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:27 PM

From looking at the satellite pics I would say 92L stands to become a greater risk to the east coast, if it does develop , as I am sure it will.

It's south enough so as not to be immediately impacted by shear.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #53243 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:31 PM

This entire thing is frustrating. I know what you mean. I did hear the Red Cross has had 21 million donated so far. That's great news. I just wish the rescuers weren't being shot at. There are lots more people that need help. These few low lives are killing hundreds of people by not letting us in. Idiots.

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: new addition [Re: emackl]
      #53248 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:43 PM

Looks like a couple of fish-spinners out there to me.Hope this trend continues,But I am not banking on that.It is nice to get a little break though.
Watching the news now is just heartbreaking.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

AdvAutoBob
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: new addition [Re: Londovir]
      #53255 - Thu Sep 01 2005 03:51 PM

Quote:

I have a question. I just saw on CNN that they have reports from Keesler AFB that the base is "95% smashed", according to someone in the Air Force.

Since that's the home of the Hurricane Hunter fleet, and since Pensacola took a little whipping too, where do you think they'll be moving the fleet to? I imagine with 91L and the rest out there trying to do something, should the need arise they'll need to have a good base of operations to work out of.

I'm just curious as to whether or not there's an established secondary base to work from.

I thought MacDill AFB in Tampa was secondary base ops, considering NOAA has a presence there.

--------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 47682

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center