F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Ophelia Moves Away For Now
      #54463 - Fri Sep 09 2005 05:51 PM

Saturday - 6PM Update
Ophelia just about stationary, however, west northwesterly wind shear and drier air are doing a number on the convection on the west side of the hurricane and could expose the low level center this evening. No change to the NHC Hurricane Watch.
ED

Saturday - Noon Update
Ophelia is a hurricane again and a Hurricane Watch has been issued for portions of the South Carolina and North Carolina coast. See my comments in the Resident Meteorologist Discussions Forum for details.
ED

Storms From Previous Years (Unisys)

Original Post
Ophelia has begun to move away from the Florida coastline, to the north. The loop around back to the US is still expected, but is now more likely for the South Carolina coastline, although all areas in the southeast coast will want to watch this system over the next few days.

The storm weakened back to a Tropical Storm yesterday evening and is now back to Hurricane Status this evening. Conditions will start to improve over Florida throughout the evening.

More to come later.

Image courtesy SkeetobiteWeather.com
Comments/Feedback on the maps look here.

Report conditions from Ophelia in your area In this thread

Katrina Discussions are in the Disaster Forum

Event Related Links
Radars, Satellite

Charleston, SC Long Range Radar
Jacksonville, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Color Sat of Gulf
RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Storms
Spaghetti Style model plots from Colorado State University

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Miami, Key West, Melbourne, Charleston, SC

Emergency Management:
State of Florida - Floridadisaster.org
Georgia Emergency Management
South Carolina Emergency Management

Maria

Animated model plots of Maria

Nate

Animated model plots of Nate

Ophelia

Animated model plots of Ophelia
Google Map Plot of Ophelia
Floater IR Satellite of Ophelia
Floater WV Satellite of Ophelia
Floater Visible Satellite of Ophelia

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Sep 10 2005 06:17 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: MikeC]
      #54465 - Fri Sep 09 2005 06:03 PM

Just to let everyone know that has been emailing, I'm very very very behind in emails right now, and unfortunately I can't respond to everyone. If you were having issues logging in make sure you read the information on the login page about passwords, spam blockers, and the like.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
      #54466 - Fri Sep 09 2005 06:30 PM

Is that a upper low to the se of ophelia? And will this effect her track any? if so how?

Edited by dolfinatic (Fri Sep 09 2005 08:58 PM)

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

#54467 - Fri Sep 09 2005 06:35 PM

I'm sorry, but based on latest satellite loops, I just don't see the northern motion that is supposed to be happening. If anything, I see more of a due east or north of due east moton in the last satellite iamges.

I am not one to post frequent and pointless posts here, although I monitor this forum closely, but I simply just don't see the northern component to the NHC's track forecast. Perhaps I am victim of satellite loop hallucination, however I doubt it. I clearly see a more eastern motion than the LATEST NHC motion of NE.

What are some other meteoroligical opinions on the more "current" trends?

hurricane expert
Really Not an Expert

Reged: Thu
Loc: florida
      #54468 - Fri Sep 09 2005 06:40 PM

I see the same motion like a E/NE or due E motion mabe the computer model are going to pick on that later.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: hurricane expert]
      #54469 - Fri Sep 09 2005 07:19 PM

Quote:

I see the same motion like a E/NE or due E motion mabe the computer model are going to pick on that later.

I see LOTS of dry air intruding on the western side of Ophelia right now. The "hurricane" status may be short lived.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: Hugh]
      #54472 - Fri Sep 09 2005 08:01 PM

I just checked the loops and eiher the red color crayon broke, or the cloud tops are really warming up rapidly.
If there was not more to storms than cold cloud tops I would think this is not even a good TS at this point. As for direction, she is seemingly turning in one place and disintegrating or imploding at the same time. It is a head scratcher trying to see what is going on with only the infrared to look at at night.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: crpeavley]
      #54473 - Fri Sep 09 2005 08:23 PM

I think what we need to do here is not look at every little satellite loop but look at this storm over a period of time....like where it is relative to this time yesterday. It is now sitting at 30.0 N whereas yesterday, at this time, it was sitting at 28.5N or something like that. It's moving slow and the NHC never said it was going to do anything but move slow. It does have an easterly movement but it is also obviously moving north. Thats why they said movement was north"east''. I really think considering the nature of this storm and the fact that the models have been all over the place, the NHC has done a really good job calling this one so far. Believe me, they are seeing everything we are seeing and more.

Daytonaman
Weather Watcher

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: Hugh]
      #54474 - Fri Sep 09 2005 08:37 PM

From looking at this loop Washington WV it looks as if Ophelia is being pinched between the dry air to the W & NW and the ULL to her southeast....kind of like squeezing a grape between your thumb and forefinger.

--------------------
Bruce
Port Orange, FL
29.14 80.99
Thanks to all who work so hard to teach those of us without the knowledge but the thirst to know.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: Daytonaman]
      #54481 - Fri Sep 09 2005 09:30 PM

The latest recon fix puts it at 30.1 N, 77.4 W, which is already further east than it was supposed to get at any point in the forecast track from the last advisory. It would be funny if it just kept going out to sea after all of this, but we probably won't get that lucky.

There has been another burst of convection near the center, albeit a relatively small one. Latest recon had it at 983 mb, which is about where it was before. At this stage of its development, it doesn't need really intense convection to maintain itself, but it won't intensify too much without increasing the convection from where it was earlier.

SC Bill
Verified CFHC User

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Ophelia Moves Away For Now [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #54482 - Fri Sep 09 2005 10:19 PM

Need a reality check here. Is there no real feeling that Ophelia could amount to a serious East Coast threat to someone? Or are people not really paying attention, both here, in the media and in the public? I live in Hilton Head, on the SC coast- a barrier island. Nearly everyone I spoke to today was surprised there even was a storm- the local media is treating it in passing "A tropical system may threaten the low country early to middle of next week. Now to sports . . . " When I last checked, there were like 29 browsers on here- what is there normally when a hurricane is this close to the coast?

Anyway, very curious. Our County Emergency Management head has announced that the storm may threaten our area earlier than originally thought, and may be calling a voluntary evacuation tomorrow, with a state-ordered mandatory as early as Sunday. Only place I have "stumbled" across that is on our town newspaper's website.

Maybe I worry too much.

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reality [Re: SC Bill]
      #54483 - Fri Sep 09 2005 10:28 PM

So right you are...maybe because all eyes are still tuned to Katrinas after effects? Maybe the fact that the intensity & track are downplayed & uncertain? Maybe the it won't/doesn't/hasn't happened in long time mentality? If anything those ideas should have been squashed after last week...even last year..heck who would of thought 5 storms..seems we always forget little Bonnie..would have hit Fl in a span of 7 weeks?

I know I'm watching...out of interest as well as safety..especially after this year...these storms have not gone by the book at all...some lessons bear repeating unfortunatly.

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: Reality [Re: twizted sizter]
      #54484 - Fri Sep 09 2005 10:49 PM

Looking at the latest wv imagery, it looks like a big part of ophelia has split off and is heading ne. Does anyone else see that and is it possible that the models were picking up on this as the ne movement that she was supposed to take? Because it really looks like she is moving east mostly. Also could a new low form off of the cast off to the Ne?
:?:

Adam

Loc: Hilliard, Fl (Northeast FL)
Re: Reality [Re: dolfinatic]
      #54485 - Fri Sep 09 2005 11:00 PM

Im on the FL/GA border, can i breath easier tonight? any thoughts?

disneyfanfl
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
Re: Reality [Re: Adam]
      #54486 - Fri Sep 09 2005 11:10 PM

I'm wondering that too, Adam. I'm just down from you in Jacksonville. I'm concerned that it's gone more east than northeast or north-northeast and (according to Deegan) the NHC doesn't seem too concerned with that. I, like others here, have thought all along this would be a FL/GA border or up to Brunswick. I keep expecting the models to start to shift.

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Reality [Re: disneyfanfl]
      #54487 - Fri Sep 09 2005 11:13 PM

UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF THE CONE YOU SHOULD KEEP AN EYE ON THE STORM! It appears that you are still in the cone of error. You never know!

Adam

Loc: Hilliard, Fl (Northeast FL)
Re: Reality [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #54488 - Fri Sep 09 2005 11:15 PM

of course, anything is possible!

gailwarning
Weather Watcher

Loc: Satellite Beach FL
Re: Reality [Re: Adam]
      #54489 - Fri Sep 09 2005 11:35 PM

REPEATING THE 11 PM EDT POSITION...30.4 N... 77.0 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTHEAST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 75 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 985 MB.

The above is from the 11 pm advisory-- from stationary to 9 mph-- that's trucking along for a storm, isn't it?

A question: how far north before the water gets cool enough to really hamper further strengthening?

StormHound
Weather Guru

Re: Reality [Re: gailwarning]
      #54490 - Fri Sep 09 2005 11:50 PM

Quote:

A question: how far north before the water gets cool enough to really hamper further strengthening?

Well, Maria is trucking off towards Iceland and still has 60mph winds. Ophelia has more issues with wind shear than water temps for a while.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

traceyd

Re: Reality [Re: StormHound]
      #54492 - Sat Sep 10 2005 12:02 AM

For those who forcasted for the storm not to move much further north than 30-31, do you still feel that way? I read that from more than one poster on this site. The forecast made a lot of sense to me. I would love to hear an update from any of you regarding your prediction. I am interest edin learning if you still believe it won't move further north and where you feel it will eventually make landfall.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 470 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 19878

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center