F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: dropsonde data [Re: StormKrone]
      #55848 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:08 PM

Surface winds 165, Cat 5, just heard from Met in Tampa, believe currently is stronger than Katrina

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
North motion [Re: WeatherNut]
      #55849 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:08 PM

There is a north componant, and I usually view wobbles as changes up to 3 hours. if it keeps up much longer though... I'm not sure why recon fixed things at 24.3N ... unless it'd moved a little south of due west at some point and is coming back north.... but either way, a north motion is bad bad bad

Han Solo said it best, "I gotta bad feeling about this"

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

bn765
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: dropsonde data [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #55850 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:11 PM

Never.......and i mean never would i have ever of thought something that would be stronger than Katrina...especially in less than 3 weeks. This thing is strengthning and it will probably will be stronger than Katrina.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: North motion [Re: Bloodstar]
      #55851 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:12 PM

The inland flooding is going to be horrific. Here's the afternoon HPC, with Rita still over OK in 7 days.
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/medr/day7nav_color.html

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

ralphfl
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: North motion [Re: Ed in Va]
      #55852 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:15 PM

if you look it jogged south then back north so net gain is about west.And yes you got to give it more time before you call it a nwnw movement.WHICH btw it is suppose to do in order to get as far north as the NHC track is.

Edited by ralphfl (Wed Sep 21 2005 08:16 PM)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: North motion [Re: Bloodstar]
      #55853 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:15 PM

Taz & Bloodstar...have been tracking that myself this afternoon...too much to just be a wobble...be interesting to see what's going on in another hour or so.

Others have jumped on this bandwagon...as well on some other boards...definitly not a popular opinion to voice.

My question is why not? I know...the high blah, blah, blah...but hasn't climitalogy been thrown out the window this year? Haven't these storms thrown us plenty of curveballs? Why is this one so different? Not bashing NHC or any mets...very legit question as to why we shouldn't expect any surprises from this monster.

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: North motion [Re: Ed in Va]
      #55854 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:16 PM

A Good way to get a handle on how the storm is moving as compared with the offical forecast track is to goto www.nhc.noaa.gov then click on satellite imagery, GOES 1 Infared loop. There are several options at the top, check trop forecast points and it will show them over top of the satellite and you can compare Rita's motion with the offical forecast.

Hurricane Charley '04(Port Charlotte)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: 4 frames now [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #55855 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:17 PM

Both windfield and intensity continue to increase: on sat images, windfield continues to expand since noon, and NHC officially updates intensity to Cat 5 with 165mph max sust surface winds.

Just for a reference point - Rita is not currently stronger than Katrina was. Katrina's highest sust winds were 175mph and lowest pressure, 902mb. Also at that time Katrina was over six times larger in area than Rita, which in terms of overall energy was tremendous, although comparisons are more commonly in terms of pressure or windspeed.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Wed Sep 21 2005 08:33 PM)

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 4 frames now [Re: Margie]
      #55856 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:19 PM

Latest spaghetti model shows a little more spread in the track, but most are still focused on the mid-Tx coast.
http://euler.atmos.colostate.edu/~vigh/guidance/atlantic/early1.png

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: North motion [Re: charlottefl]
      #55857 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:20 PM

Quote:

A Good way to get a handle on how the storm is moving as compared with the offical forecast track is to goto www.nhc.noaa.gov then click on satellite imagery, GOES 1 Infared loop. There are several options at the top, check trop forecast points and it will show them over top of the satellite and you can compare Rita's motion with the offical forecast.

Hurricane Charley '04(Port Charlotte)

To make the next projected plot she will have to move DUE west. I don't think that will happen. I hate to see another storm of this magnitude so soon after Katrina. I won't be surprised to see all models trend a tad more to the right in the next runs.

KATFIVE
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: North motion [Re: twizted sizter]
      #55858 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:21 PM

I don't see why anyone would dismiss a possible northward jog out of hand. As you say, records are falling this year and there have been many times on this board and others in which I have seen meterologists and very very knowledgeable storm trackers get it wrong, especially concerning intensity. There is a lot we still don't know so keep watching that track and keep us informed!

R2RICKSTER

Reged:
Loc: Delray Beach, Fla
Katrina and Rita [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #55860 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:29 PM

Twins

Katrina- 26.2 88.1 175mph 907mb
noaa
Rita 24.7 86.2 150mph 920mb
noaa

Edited by R2RICKSTER (Wed Sep 21 2005 08:34 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: 4 frames now [Re: WeatherNut]
      #55863 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:32 PM

Eyewall replacement cycle is still some time away. Updated microwave imagery suggest that the makings of an outer eyewall are about 50-60% complete with no inward movement noted. The outer eyewall has to form before it starts moving inward, then it takes some time before the cycle actually completes with the new eyewall. The storm can still intensify and/or maintain itself up to the point where the inner eyewall begins to collapse -- technically about 75% through the cycle but the starting point of what we normally consider the eyewall replacement. I think there are about another 12hr, 18hr max before we get to that point. There's a chance the storm gets below 900mb.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Katrina and Rita [Re: R2RICKSTER]
      #55864 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:32 PM

URNT12 KNHC 212027
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 21/19:36:50Z
B. 24 deg 21 min N
086 deg 21 min W
C. 700 mb 2360 m
D. 125 kt
E. 053 deg 009 nm
F. 134 deg 161 kt
G. 048 deg 016 nm
H. EXTRAP 914 mb
I. 8 C/ 3063 m
J. 27 C/ 3042 m
K. 2 C/ NA
L. CLOSED
M. C20
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF300 1418A Rita OB 11
MAX FL WIND 161 KT NE QUAD 19:32:00 Z
SLP EXTRAPOLATED FROM 700 MB

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: dropsonde data [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #55866 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:34 PM

Keep in mind that the timestamp on that vortex message is before the dropsonde that indicated a pressure of 908 mb:

Edited by Thunderbird12 (Wed Sep 21 2005 08:35 PM)

KATFIVE
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: North motion [Re: FlaRebel]
      #55867 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:35 PM

Cnn says it is looking at the possibility of a shift a bit north. Pressure is down to 906mb

KATFIVE
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #55869 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:39 PM

What is your source on Katrina being 6 times the size of Rita. The latter looks pretty darn big. I can believe K was larger, but 6 times larger?

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: North motion [Re: KATFIVE]
      #55870 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:43 PM

Impressive Floater pic http://hadar.cira.colostate.edu/ramsdis/online/trop_ge_storm_relative_0.html

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: 4 frames now [Re: KATFIVE]
      #55871 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:43 PM

Quote:

What is your source on Katrina being 6 times the size of Rita. The latter looks pretty darn big. I can believe K was larger, but 6 times larger?

There are several ways. You can review the satellite images and calculate the distance from the lat/lon. You can also review NHC archives which do give the distances for the hurricane-force windfield and tropical-storm force windfield from the center, in various directions, and calculate the area from that.

Katrina was an unusually large storm.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
      #55872 - Wed Sep 21 2005 08:49 PM

If there was no 2pm EDT advisory, why does weather underground have 2pm coordinates, windspeed, and pressure? And, if they were measured, why aren't they updated here?

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200518.html

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 61068

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center