F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Hurricane Stan Approaches Mexico, And More on Bahamas Wave [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #57756 - Tue Oct 04 2005 10:48 PM

The lowest pressure I can find (1007 mb) is at a C-Man station on Grand Bahama island, which corresponds with what was mentioned in the TWO. There does seem to be something trying to form closer to the convection in that area. The area of lowest pressure extends into south Florida and the Keys, where winds are light at the moment... this is probably a reflection of the surface feature we were following earlier that has moved further west. So far, there has been only the slightest hint of cyconic turning on the Miami radar associated with the deeper convection over the NW Bahamas.

Sounds like they are ready to pull the trigger as soon as there is any evidence to close off the circulation.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Stan Approaches Mexico, And More on Bahamas Wave [Re: dave foster]
      #57757 - Tue Oct 04 2005 10:50 PM

Still some amazingly cold cloud tops continue in the convection being generated by Stan, both in the part of the circulation that has moved out over the Pacific, and in the feeder band over the Yucatan.

GOES floater 1 has been repositioned to where Stan is heading in the Pacific, so I would assume that NHC thinks something is going to continue cooking once the remnants of Stan are all offshore. That offshore area does not have the same heat potential as the Carribean, but a little ways offshore to the west at 15N 100W is a pocket of slightly warmer water (looks like the only one).

Stan seems to be on a steady course, not like what I remember the models had anticipated. It seems like so far the upper level circulation has held up quite well. So it will be interesting to see the next model runs and the 10pm NHC discussion, to see if there is still a good possibility of something coming back into the GOM.

edit -- just read the 10pm...looks like I was too optimistic for Stan's remnants, as NHC forecasts it will dissipate.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Edited by Margie (Wed Oct 05 2005 12:10 AM)

Brown Brown
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Tue
Re: 92L Spinning up [Re: Margie]
      #57758 - Tue Oct 04 2005 11:08 PM

Looks like it's spinning up now. A clear eye showing on the Radar, water Vapor and Infared for the last hour or so. That stuff coming across the state looks like it's letting up.

Oh, it'll be a tropical storm tomorrow alright, if not a hurricane...

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Hurricane Stan Approaches Mexico, And More on Bahamas Wave [Re: Margie]
      #57759 - Tue Oct 04 2005 11:30 PM

The discussion did state that Stan could regenerate over the Pacific, but the official forecast calls for dissipation.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Hurricane Stan Approaches Mexico, And More on Bahamas Wave [Re: MikeC]
      #57761 - Wed Oct 05 2005 12:37 AM

I've thrown up some thoughts on the blogs -- accessible on the main page or via the forums. I figure we'll probably get Tammy out of the mess near 26N/78W as it heads in the general direction of Jacksonville over the next couple of days. It's going to continue to be a wet time period for the entire Florida peninsula and Georgia coastline over the next couple of days, no matter what happens. Some further development is possible, but not a lot given the slight shearing environment and just above marginal SSTs...figure moderate to high-end TS at best. Not too bullish on anything else out there in the next 4 or 5 days or so for reasons I mention in the blog post, but it all bears watching. Essentially, it's one fine mess out there.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Looks Like We Might Have Tammy [Re: Clark]
      #57762 - Wed Oct 05 2005 05:44 AM

Here's an excerpt from the 5:30am TWO:

Quote:

Radar data and surface observations indicate that a closed surface circulation has formed just off the coast of east-central Florida... within the large area of disturbed weather extending from Florida eastward across the northern Bahamas. A tropical cyclone is forming... and advisories will be initiated shortly with a special advisory. A reconnaissance aircraft will be available to investigate this system later today.

With the winds already reported with this system, will they upgrade to Tammy...or list this as TD #21??

--Lou

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Loc:
Re: Looks Like We Might Have Tammy [Re: recmod]
      #57763 - Wed Oct 05 2005 05:52 AM

You can see the center of circulation quite plainly now on the tropical cyclone about 40 miles East of Melbourne, Florida now.

Again interesting how this year, several storms have been born in the area of the Bahama's.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
92L maintains and Stan moves toward the E. Pacific [Re: Clark]
      #57764 - Wed Oct 05 2005 06:00 AM

I updated the main Page with some snippets from the 2 AM EDT Trop. Wx Discussion.

Main item is 92L. Several areas of low pressure around the FL Peninsula. Upper low in the NE GOM. While a surface low is over the Bahamas.
Latest surface observation indicate Vero Beach has the lowest pressure...1005.0mb. Also of note was the difference in the wind directions just N of Vero Beach. While Melbourne has winds from the ESE, the winds at Vero Beach are from the NW.

Latest satellite imagery indicating the upper low over the NE GOM is attempting to close off. Trailing convection westward to the mid GOM, south of Terrebone Bay,LA.
Outflow from the remnants of Tropical Depression Stan are producing wind shear and appear to be delaying the closing off.
AFRES RECON is scheduled for a 10:30AM EDT investigation today...providing it isn't called off by NHC/TPC. Close proximity to land will occasionally result in a cancellation of a flight.

While I was composing this. Lou and Wxwatcher2 posted some more up-to-date information.~danielw

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 05 2005 06:04 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Looks Like We Might Have Tammy [Re: recmod]
      #57765 - Wed Oct 05 2005 06:32 AM

Quote:

With the winds already reported with this system, will they upgrade to Tammy...or list this as TD #21??
--Lou

Based upon the NHC TWO... It will be directly designated as T.S. Tammy shortly. I say this because the TWO said a Tropical Cyclone had formed - it did not say a Tropical Depression. They may not yet know how strong the maximum winds are, and may wait until recon is in before naming it, however.

Chad Myers is saying it will run up the east coast - which is contrary to ALL of the computer models the last time I checked (which all forecast it to enter the GOM and basically hit me, or come close to me and then head back NE across the state again). Looking at the current models for 92L on WU, they show it moving parrallel to the coast but on shore.. except for NOGAPS which has it moving into the central GOM. NONE of them have it hitting Georgia (which is what Chad said it would do). What the heck was he basing his forecast on???

By the way... the movement on radar appears to be very slow, but WNW to my eyes (or due west as Daniel pointed out after my initial post). It may make landfall near Melborne before the NHC gets around to sending a plane into it... circulation looks VERY close to land. Any word on where the warnings will be put up for, or what the forecast track officially will be?

Added: From the MLB NWS office:
NOW...
...TROPICAL CIRCULATION DEVELOPING EAST OF MELBOURNE...
AT 545 AM...MELBOURNE RADAR DETECTED THE FORMATION OF A WEAK
CIRCULATION CENTER 30 MILES EAST OF MELBOURNE. THE CIRCULATION WAS
MOVING SLOWLY NORTH NORTHWEST PARALLEL TO THE COASTLINE.

Well so much for what my eyes were tellijng me about a due west/wnw motion, I guess. And where is the advisory on this thing? NHC TWO said 30 minutes ago that there would be a special advisory issued shortly. Weather Channel just said that the hurricane hunters found a circulation - but TWO said they were just standing by, not that they had even gone into the system! Is everyone on a different page with this thing???

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Oct 05 2005 06:52 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Severe Weather Possible [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #57766 - Wed Oct 05 2005 06:34 AM

Quote:

You can see the center of circulation quite plainly now on the tropical cyclone about 40 miles East of Melbourne, Florida now.

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmlb.shtml

The circulation center is moving nearly due west. And should move into the Melbourne area in the next few hours.
This puts everyone in the Northern Peninsula in the right front quadrant...so to speak.
Cloud tops ESE of Melbourne have peaks above 50,000ft. At this time, and will rotate around the circulation.
Jacksonville NWS Office has issued advisories for "gusty winds of up to 50 mph". Valid until 715AM EDT. These warnings will probably be extended.

Please pay close attention to your Local NWS Office for later watches and warnings.~danielw
http://www.srh.weather.gov/mlb/
http://www.srh.weather.gov/jax/
http://www.srh.weather.gov/mfl/

Edited by danielw (Wed Oct 05 2005 06:35 AM)

Hootowl
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: New Port Richey, Fl
Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: danielw]
      #57767 - Wed Oct 05 2005 06:54 AM

ummmmm. Folks - the Navy site lists 21L Tammy!

:?:

Here's the link
http://tcweb.fnmoc.navy.mil/tc-bin/tc_home.cgi

Edited by Hootowl (Wed Oct 05 2005 07:04 AM)

amonty
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Clearwater, Fl
Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: danielw]
      #57768 - Wed Oct 05 2005 06:54 AM

I was watching the news and all the channels are saying it is now tropical storm Tammy.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: amonty]
      #57769 - Wed Oct 05 2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

I was watching the news and all the channels are saying it is now tropical storm Tammy.

Which channels? None of the national ones are saying anything about the strength yet... except for calling it a depression. Myers (CNN) even said it was "very disorganized which is why it's not a tropical storm". We all knew last night that the only thing preventing the NHC from calling this Tammy was the lack of a closed circulation, though.
And Hoottowl... NWL Monterey still shows it as 92L.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Oct 05 2005 06:58 AM)

amonty
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: Hugh]
      #57770 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:01 AM

local news channels in Orlando - WFTV 9
FOX-35 News Channel3

I was just watching as I am typing and the met. for the channel
said it won't be "official" until 7:30.

amonty
Weather Hobbyist

#57771 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:02 AM

there is a center of circulation just east of Melbourne

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: amonty]
      #57772 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:04 AM

Quote:

local news channels in Orlando - WFTV 9
FOX-35 News Channel3

I was just watching as I am typing and the met. for the channel
said it won't be "official" until 7:30.

National news (CNN, TWC) is not saying squat at the top of the hour. If the official advisory is due at 7:30 ET, it's probably because they want a recon fix (I assume), to make sure it's a T.S.

Now I'm seeing northward movement on the MLB radar.

--------------------
Hugh

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indianapolis
      #57773 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:15 AM

Im in Melbourne about 2 miles inland and there is a little rain but no wind. Not even a breeze. I haven't heard anything about advisories yet. We have a weather alert and it's stll silent.

Jackie

Brown Brown
Verified CFHC User

#57774 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:21 AM

If the shear stops, and it doesn't hit land, "if", it's a hurricane by this afternoon. Amazing how quickly it's moved north.

The NHC has repeatedly underestimated the hurricanes this year, including this one.

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: Brown Brown]
      #57775 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:25 AM

Quote:

If the shear stops, and it doesn't hit land, "if", it's a hurricane by this afternoon. Amazing how quickly it's moved north.

The NHC has repeatedly underestimated the hurricanes this year, including this one.

The NHC has not repeatedly underestimated hurricanes this year.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Severe Weather Possible [Re: jlauderdal]
      #57776 - Wed Oct 05 2005 07:29 AM

It's official. We have Tammy just off the coast of Cocoa. I am here in Longwood, FL, just northwest of Orlando, and it is raining pretty hard right now.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 610 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ***
Topic views: 29294

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center