F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
josef

Reged: Sun
Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: Hugh]
      #58076 - Sun Oct 09 2005 06:54 PM

Ok Hugh.
My question itīs because on tv, here in Porto, thay said de notice. When we see the images of Katrina we think the same problems in Portugal. But, your experience tell is not possible the same problems with Vince!?
May be, only a lot of rain?

Edited by josef (Sun Oct 09 2005 06:56 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: josef]
      #58077 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:06 PM

Quote:

Ok Hugh.
My question itīs because on tv, here in Porto, thay said de notice. When we see the images of Katrina we think the same problems in Portugal. But, your experience tell is not possible the same problems with Vince!?
May be, only a lot of rain?

Josef,

I'm not going to tell you that it's not possible that Portugal could experience the same types of things that the Gulf Coast had happen with Katrina, because I can't predict the future. However, it's extremely likely that Vince will weaken before it impacts Europe. Even if it maintained the current intensity, that is significantly weaker than Katrina was when it slammed into Louisiana and Mississippi. Not that a hurricane in Europe can ever be considered "weak" of course.

One thing of note... yesterday no one was paying any attention to what is now Vince. It's possible that it couldd fissle out just as quickly as it formed and became semi-tropical - although I have to say looking at the satellite imagery it does not appear to be weakening... but it might even get a bit stronger in the very short term.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

josef

Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: dave foster]
      #58078 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:09 PM

Dave, the šC of whater in Portugal ( South) itīs betewen 21š-25š Celsius. In Madeira Islands the same.Itīs possible Vince became more strong today ( Monday in Portugal) or your experience tells itīs imposible.

Edited by josef (Sun Oct 09 2005 07:10 PM)

josef

Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: Hugh]
      #58079 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:16 PM

If i ask you Hugh or Dave, what are de % of possible VInce toutch Oporto city with strong wins and rains, you tellm me what?

josef: not much possibility vince is strong when it comes by. a normal ocean storm is going to be swallowing vince as it nears portugal/spain. it should weaken. a little windy/rainy should be your weather on tuesday october 11. nothing like Katrina--would need very warm ocean. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Sun Oct 09 2005 09:49 PM)

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
      #58080 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:29 PM

Yo, Josef. Vince is an itty bitty hurricane, and due to its location, info on the actual intensity is hardly going to be definitive.

Hurricanes are as strong as their surrounding have the ability to sustain them. The magic temp for development is 26.5 C, but the situation with Vince is a bit more complicated, as noted earlier, and not wholly dependent upon the water temperature. I just want to assure you that this isn’t the same deal as Katrina and all the horrible images that have come out of the Northern Gulf Coast, so you don't need to panic or anything.

You can check the NHC for maps and discussions, and feel free to ask here if you have any questions.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sun Oct 09 2005 07:40 PM)

La Nimo
Weather Watcher

Loc: st. pete beach
Re: Tropical Storm Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: Old Sailor]
      #58081 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:33 PM

Old Sailor, good call on Vince nobody was calling for a cane except you. You think Vince will stay a Hurricane to land fall?

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Re: Tropical Storm Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: Clark]
      #58082 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:41 PM

Clark,
That is true, it is more important to note the sounding data for profiling what environments are conducive.. In fact, I'm sure you have heard of "Arctic Low" phenomenon as well... Very similar, very fascinating.

The fact of the matter is (which from the sounds of it you are aware) the very distinction between cyclones is a complicated one...

The lowest common denominator is the corriolis force...So long as you have upward moving air and convergent replacement at the surface, that is all you really need... Don't mean to preach to the quire but there are multiple reasons to get this upward moving air going; tropical mechanics are just one.. What is really amazing about all this is that you can start out with a baroclinic system and end up with a barotropic one (1991) if conditions are right. In fact, on on-camera meteorologist friend of mine has often said (and I agree) that you almost cannot have a hurricane moving into middle latittudes and interacting with the westerlies without some kind of hybrid argument...

Trust me; you know a lot!
Peace

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Re: Tropical Storm Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #58083 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:50 PM

If anyone's interested the following link has some awesome Vince - sat, etc.
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/tropic/real-time/atlantic/storm/storm2.html

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
      #58084 - Sun Oct 09 2005 07:51 PM

Josef, it looks like you shouldn't be worried. You can view the National Hurricane Center Advisories and Discussions here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Also the latest advisory is posted on this web site, in the upper LH corner.

What you should ALWAYS go by is the NHC information and your local weather statements. These are the official forecast statements and NHC has an extremely good track record.

From the 5pm advisory:

...MAINLY A HAZARD FOR MARINE INTERESTS IN THE FAR EASTERN
ATLANTIC...

and

VINCE
IS FORECAST TO GRADUALLY WEAKEN ON MONDAY

And from the discussion:

A COLD FRONT IS SEVERAL HUNDRED N MI NORTHWEST OF VINCE... AND AS THE FRONT CONTINUES ITS EASTWARD MARCH ACROSS THE NORTHERN ATLANTIC... IT SHOULD PULL VINCE NORTHEASTWARD AT A GRADUALLY INCREASING FORWARD SPEED. MOST OF THE DYNAMICAL MODELS AGREE WITH THIS SCENARIO AND SUGGEST THAT VINCE WILL BE ABSORBED BY THE FRONT IN ABOUT 36 HOURS

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

weatherwatcher999
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Southwestern Ontario, Canada.
Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: Margie]
      #58085 - Sun Oct 09 2005 08:19 PM

It's interesting that vince has an eye, it actually looks pretty similar to a well-defined major hurricane, or typhoon (generally). I've never seen any tropical cyclone form that far east, and be a threat to europe(!).

Thankfully it looks like this cold front will absorb it, before anything bad happens to portugal... but it's pretty interesting that a tropical storm (almost mid-latitude) had an eye

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #58086 - Sun Oct 09 2005 08:24 PM

Josef, I'm unable to find any topography maps of Oporto.
The Douro River would be the greatest concern.
For two reasons. 1-The slight possibility of a tidal surge from the winds blowing ahead of Hurricane Vince. And 2-possible river flooding from excessive rainfall.
So areas near the Douro River and any streams that flow into the Douro river could be in danger of flooding, either from rainfall or from water being pushed ahead of the storm.

The location of the storm, it's motion toward Oporto, and the location of landfall would be the determining factors on which would be the greatest hazard.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/tempusfugit/marine/gmdss.htm
http://www.inag.pt/
http://www.eumetsat.int/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=444&l=en
http://oiswww.eumetsat.org/~idds/images/out/20051009_230000_08_IR-108-2_1.jpg

Images are "Copyright 2005 EUMETSAT"~danielw

Edited by danielw (Sun Oct 09 2005 08:36 PM)

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: La Nimo]
      #58087 - Sun Oct 09 2005 08:32 PM

Another area been looking at with interest , Some of the PAO/DD2 Naval Models showing a Cat 1 or 2 just off the New England Coast 6 to 7 days out. These models are off limits to all but field grade rank and retired field rank. Cmdr or higher grade.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: danielw]
      #58088 - Sun Oct 09 2005 08:38 PM

Encarta has some limited topography:

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701515761/Portugal.html

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: UK
Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: danielw]
      #58089 - Sun Oct 09 2005 08:46 PM

Try Google Earth Daniel. You can fly up the Douro river, admire the scenery and have a constant read-out of the topography.

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
vince/22L/94L [Re: dave foster]
      #58090 - Sun Oct 09 2005 10:22 PM

take on vince is that it peaked earlier today and will be downgraded to a t.s. at 11pm. the eye/convective ring has broken down in recent sat images. if it starts looking less tropical the NHC will likely declassify it quickly, as it's way out in left field already. shear is impacting the system but not moving it yet, so it'll probably weaken a lot shortly. maybe come non-convective as it gets over cooler water. i'd expect it to get called extratropical tomorrow one way or another. ultimate track probably close to nw spain, but i don't think the remnant will landfall. should be quite a rain event, though.
the old subtropical depression threw a single convective burst for quite a time today. it may be distancing itself from the strong easterly shear jet around the upper low to its SE, so it may redevelop if it can throw some convection. NHC will probably ignore it unless it makes a very convincing effort at developing convection. whether it redevelops or not, the low pressure should be off the mid atlantic coast as that large high builds in.. may stall and then jerk west or southwest thereafter.
94L is showing good convective action again but has troughed out at the surface. good diffluent/convergent atmosphere ahead, so it may add its contribution to the disturbed weather in the caribbean or serve as a focal mechanism for low pressure to develop.
other side of the upper low is an area of disturbed weather in the bahamas. there's a narrow anticyclone and modest low level convergence, so it may be a troublemaker if it persists.
as far as what old sailor said about a hurricane being off the east coast and potentially threatening the northeast coast this week... there are various models depicting a deep storm that looks tropical in origin moving up around there, sure enough. not much agreement on exactly how it forms, but the synoptic pattern would potentially support a storm getting up there. definitely stay tuned.
been watching the long-range pattern we should see later this month.. seeing some things that have me very interested, but want to see some more consistency before i get carried away with them... if you want a clue why i'm interested, check the 18Z GFS runs around 8-10 days out.
HF 0222z10october

bulletdodger

Loc: Texas
Re: Hurricane Vince forms in the Far Eastern Atlantic [Re: MikeC]
      #58091 - Sun Oct 09 2005 10:47 PM

I just cant believe what has happened this year alone with the tropics. I look at all the facts and it just awes me. I guess this is just another one to the record books.

--------------------
Nickolas Daniel Cook

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Season [Re: bulletdodger]
      #58094 - Mon Oct 10 2005 04:53 AM

I was just watching the Weather Channel and thinking the same thing. I had forgotten about the Christmas Day Snow in New Orleans.
Now we have a classified storm near the Azores and Portugal. At the same time Colorado is having a mid October, 2 day Winter Storm.

Hank, as usual...I think you are on to something there. The cooler temps are welcome here in the Coastal Areas...to some degree. There are still Katrina victims camping outdoors, along with Recovery Personnel from the Lower 48 States.
The last few nights of cool weather here, should cool off the GOM near-shore waters.

josef

Re: Season [Re: danielw]
      #58095 - Mon Oct 10 2005 05:08 AM

Hello again,
Portuguese radio and tvīs give this information: The Vince is gone. No problems with de TS Vince because in next 12 hours he die.
Itīs true?
In this moment in Oporto rain, and the temperature itīs 21šC.
Thanks.

josef

Re: Season [Re: josef]
      #58096 - Mon Oct 10 2005 05:20 AM

Now, I take this from Meterra II site about Vince:
"PORTO, SAO VICENTE :
BECOMING CYCLONIC 8 TO 10 WITH VIOLENT GUSTS, BECOMING SOUTHWEST 5
TO 7 LATER. VIOLENT GUSTS. ROUGH OR VERY ROUGH".

Can someone define whtsīs hapen in tuesday in Oporto city?
Thanks.

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
Re: vince/22L/94L [Re: HanKFranK]
      #58097 - Mon Oct 10 2005 08:05 AM

Think we'll be watching the western Caribbean next weekend. EC and some of the other globals have been showing things on and off, and this is a climatologically favored area. There is popcorn convection there this morning, but I think later this week it could get interesting. Old 94L is still sparking convection as well. We'll see. Wish we could get some drier air into Florida this week, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Cheers!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22087

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center