F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Looking back on models from earlier this week [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #58306 - Sun Oct 16 2005 01:57 AM

It seems that some model runs from a few days ago actually hinted at two systems from this area. One piece heading more towards South Florida and the other looping out into the GOM and then back to Tampa Bay. I wonder if this is playing into some of the comments made in the NHC's discussion about genesis. Have not seen the latest runs to see if this is still ocurring.

--------------------
Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: wilma on the way [Re: damejune2]
      #58307 - Sun Oct 16 2005 02:20 AM

Quote:

When entering information for the models, like the GFDL, what do you enter? Vorticity? Sea Surface Pressure? What do i put in the fields??

I'm not sure I understand the nature of this question...

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Israel
Re: wilma on the way [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #58308 - Sun Oct 16 2005 02:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

When entering information for the models, like the GFDL, what do you enter? Vorticity? Sea Surface Pressure? What do i put in the fields??

I will answer it then.

Sea surface pressure is what you want for GFDL. Vorticity isn't public to my knowledge.

But pressure is self explanatory, if you understand what it means. Vorticity is the potential spinning, If I remember, in the atmosphere at various pressure levels. Basically, stick to sea surface pressure if you have no idea what the others mean.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: wilma on the way [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #58309 - Sun Oct 16 2005 02:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I will answer it then.

Sea surface pressure is what you want for GFDL. Vorticity isn't public to my knowledge.

But pressure is self explanatory, if you understand what it means. Vorticity is the potential spinning, If I remember, in the atmosphere at various pressure levels. Basically, stick to sea surface pressure if you have no idea what the others mean.

...I understand what the parameters are and mean...he wanted to know "what do I put in"? what does he mean by "IN"

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #58310 - Sun Oct 16 2005 02:31 AM

If you want to look at the vorticity output. You will have to select the "upper air" section of the particular model that you are using.
It is possible to have a vortice (spin) at the surface and not at higher level...example: tropical depression or wave. It's also possible to have an elevated vortice that may or may not develop a surface reflection.

Similar to a Funnel Cloud and a Tornado. The funnel cloud is elevated and the Tornado is on the ground. By NWS definitions.

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: wilma on the way [Re: danielw]
      #58311 - Sun Oct 16 2005 02:50 AM

11 pm is out. NHC says gradually organizing. New track bodes badly for gulf coast. Much more definitive northward turn.

--------------------

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58312 - Sun Oct 16 2005 02:53 AM

Quote:

If you want to look at the vorticity output. You will have to select the "upper air" section of the particular model that you are using.
It is possible to have a vortice (spin) at the surface and not at higher level...example: tropical depression or wave. It's also possible to have an elevated vortice that may or may not develop a surface reflection.

Similar to a Funnel Cloud and a Tornado. The funnel cloud is elevated and the Tornado is on the ground. By NWS definitions.

...oh, I see what happened here... You guys were on a topic or something, probably having to do with a user-interface and some url, and the person who originally asked me the question assumed that i was also tagging along with the coversation...which i was not...

Now I get it... sure, if a model requires input parameters, you should know what they mean...agreed then...

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #58313 - Sun Oct 16 2005 03:14 AM

how big is this system predicted to get?

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: wilma on the way [Re: weatherwatcher2]
      #58314 - Sun Oct 16 2005 03:29 AM

Quote:

how big is this system predicted to get?

Right now, at 5 days, Cat 2.

--------------------

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Parrish florida
      #58315 - Sun Oct 16 2005 03:34 AM

Just when I tholught we were done here we go again!

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
      #58316 - Sun Oct 16 2005 03:38 AM

Okay,
So Clark mentioned earlier a "possible hit between Cerdar Key and Sarasota" I am in St. Petersburg(Tampa Bay) and have already written OFF Hurricane Saeson 2005!(of course Murphy's Law kicks in)Really guys, what is the chance??? NHC has been very accurate in forecasting this year. so I am not liking what I see, but the early models are more in favor of a southward motion. I guess I am looking for some reasurance:)Thanks Everyone...You guys are GREAT!
Christine

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
      #58317 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:03 AM

Quote:

Wow - I wonder how the values in http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/hh3.watl.20051015.gif
are derived and reduced, because if you look at
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/FS_km14nat00.gif
anything beneath ~37N in off the East Coast (for example) has average SST's of ~27C, where as the site that illustrates the "hurricane heat" has this same area at 0 content. Ummm....

Typhoon Tip:

This is becuase the Hurricane Heat Content (HHC) map heavily deals with not just the SST but also how deep that warm water penetrates. If you look at the depth of the 26C isotherm and compare it to the HHC map you will find that they are a fairly good match.

26C Isotherm depth: http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/z26.watl.20051015.gif

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: wilma on the way [Re: sara33]
      #58318 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:05 AM

This is the best looking TD I have ever seen (haha...that is the same as saying this is the best looking TD I've seen this season).

It seems again that outflow was so critical. The outflow was well-defined already by Friday afternoon (looking at 1800Z & 2100Z upper level winds on the 14th), when the low was centered over Jamaica.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

debwire

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Re: wilma on the way [Re: sara33]
      #58319 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:06 AM

I'm also in St. Petersburg and as some of the current images indicate, we're potentially within that cone of threat. I certainly wouldn't like to see another hurricane hit anywhere but for the Tampa Bay area, should we ultimately be the target, please don't let this scenario be how it all plays out with Wilma (or any future hurricane):

http://tbo.com/hurricane2005/worstcase/worstcase.html

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: wilma on the way [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58320 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:09 AM

Re heat content...they have certainly gone down significantly since a month ago, for the entire GOM.

Floater 1 now over TD24.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: wilma on the way [Re: Random Chaos]
      #58321 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wow - I wonder how the values in http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/hh3.watl.20051015.gif
are derived and reduced, because if you look at
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/FS_km14nat00.gif
anything beneath ~37N in off the East Coast (for example) has average SST's of ~27C, where as the site that illustrates the "hurricane heat" has this same area at 0 content. Ummm....

Typhoon Tip:

This is becuase the Hurricane Heat Content (HHC) map heavily deals with not just the SST but also how deep that warm water penetrates. If you look at the depth of the 26C isotherm and compare it to the HHC map you will find that they are a fairly good match.

26C Isotherm depth: http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/z26.watl.20051015.gif

yeah, I figured it was the thermocline...

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
      #58322 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:28 AM

Not sure what the real big difference between the two plots is, typhoon_tip. The hurricane heat content product is one that also takes into account sub-surface waters. Anywhere you see SSTs of ~27C or greater on the one map, you do see a non-zero (even if it is 1-10 kcal/cm^2) value of HHC; do note that the SST map only goes out to 60W (as noted in the header). However, those waters in the north Atlantic are only warm at the very top; the waters just beneath the surface are much cooler (<26C) and thus do not provide any heat content for the storm to use to maintain/increase its intensity. Waters in the Caribbean and Gulf, however, are warm to very large depths, bringing about very high values of HHC -- especially associated with the loop current and the climatologically warm waters in the NW Caribbean.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: wilma on the way [Re: Clark]
      #58323 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:37 AM

Quote:

Not sure what the real big difference between the two plots is, typhoon_tip. The hurricane heat content product is one that also takes into account sub-surface waters. Anywhere you see SSTs of ~27C or greater on the one map, you do see a non-zero (even if it is 1-10 kcal/cm^2) value of HHC; do note that the SST map only goes out to 60W (as noted in the header). However, those waters in the north Atlantic are only warm at the very top; the waters just beneath the surface are much cooler (<26C) and thus do not provide any heat content for the storm to use to maintain/increase its intensity. Waters in the Caribbean and Gulf, however, are warm to very large depths, bringing about very high values of HHC -- especially associated with the loop current and the climatologically warm waters in the NW Caribbean.

As I laid mention just moments ago, I had reasoned that they must be talking the thermocline, which indeed deals more with a vertical mixing layer... But, either way, if you see ~27C, that doesn't mean that it is "O" now does it?
As far as "60W" goes, I'm looking at a still anam that covers the entire wester/sw Atlantic Basin, when I'm looking at : http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/FS_km14nat00.gif... That clearly shows a warmer surface...However, I am willing to concede that this may be shallow, which is (quite frankly) hard to believe because a) the Gulf stream is there and that is 100 meters deep in some cases, and
b) there hasn't been anything to process the upper oceanic heat content this season in that district of the open ocean. Nor, has there been a substantial arctic outbreak spreading seawards from the continent.

Sorry, I still believe there may be a statistical disparity between what the ir impression of the SST is and these plots at the other site are. But, that's just opinion until I can see a better write up that tells us what the physics of the derivation and methodology is beyond the supposition of this forum
peace.

Edited by typhoon_tip (Sun Oct 16 2005 04:37 AM)

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58324 - Sun Oct 16 2005 04:40 AM

The other thing is that http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/z26.watl.20051015.gif .....does not jive with 0 content in the other url, either... not the outline of the region that is greater than 0 that is... Maybe they mean "virtual" 0

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58325 - Sun Oct 16 2005 05:03 AM

Ok, now that I am catching up...http://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hhc/watl/z26.watl.20051015.gif is a better depiction I must say! bravo...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39421

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center