F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Bloodstar]
      #58545 - Mon Oct 17 2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

newest recon indicates a ragged eyewall has formed:
October 17, 2005 21:32:50 Zulu
L. OPEN W
M. E05/18/8
RAGGED EYE WALL
15.77° N 79.88°
winds still aren't very high... but it's getting it's act together.

At least the pressure has not plummeted - yet anyway. Looking at the latest IR loop, it's not moving east of due south anymore, either. In fact, it actually looks like it's moving DUE WEST now...just as forecast
. In fact, the developing eye (which you can't see on IR) appears midway between the 5pm ET position and the first forecast track position.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: sara33]
      #58546 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:00 PM

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #58547 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:02 PM

18z has a simular path on the GFS with the 12Z run,,just alittle more E near the western tip of Cuba then across florida near Naples or south of Naples to Broward County then Freeport....... Again this model will change..Main models runs will be 0z weds runs with NOAA data on them and also by Tues night we can see more if she is already moving NW or just meandering off Honduras.

Goosus
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Boise ID
Re: Dry Air [Re: sara33]
      #58548 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:02 PM

Looking at the water vapor loop, there is a huge area of dry air directly to Wilma's north and west.

This hasn't been discussed much here, but I'm assuming the effect of all this dry air is to retard the rapid deepening that everyone keeps predicting.

If and as the storm makes it's predicted turn north, won't it run straight into this dry air mass? Won't that choke further intensification? I can't imagine a hurricane, no matter how strong, can plunge into a dry area of ocean and keep it's intensity, let alone strengthen.

Any thoughts? Is this entire mass of dry air supposed to be gone in a few days?

Water Vapor Loop- North America

Edited by Goosus (Mon Oct 17 2005 11:10 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Dry Air [Re: Goosus]
      #58549 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

If and as the storm makes it's predicted turn north, won't it run straight into this dry air mass? Won't that choke further intensification? I can't imagine a hurricane, no matter how strong, can plunge into a dry area of ocean and keep it's intensity, let alone strengthen.
Any thoughts? Is this entire mass of dry air supposed to be gone in a few days?

If Wilma turns northward (which is still not certain) it will be in response to a trough of low pressure coming down from the plains into the Gulf... that trough won't have dry air in it, but it will have shear, so the net effect will be to retard development in the eastern GOM, which is what is forecast.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: NewWatcher]
      #58550 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:09 PM

Thanks for the info!

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
      #58551 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:18 PM

From HPC

"ENOUGH OF A TROUGH
EXISTS IN THE OH VLY/EAST FROM DAY 5 /SAT AM/ ONWARD TO ALLOW
WILMA RECURVE ALONG A CLIMO TRACK ACRS THE FL PENINSULA. MOST OF
THE ENSEMBLE MEMBERS SHOW LANDFALL BETWEEN FORT MYERS AND
TAMPA...BUT THE FORECAST REMAINS UNCERTAIN FOR TIMING THIS FAR OUT
IN TIME WITH VARIOUS MODELS ONE DAY ON EITHER SIDE OF THE PROGGED
TIME OF LANDFALL. THE LONGER THE SYS TAKES TO ENTER THE GULF OF
MEXICO...THE FARTHER SOUTH THE POINT OF LANDFALL COULD BE IN THE
FL PENINSULA."

Happy B-day to HF

--------------------
"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get"
- Robert A. Heinlein

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: Hugh]
      #58552 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

[it actually looks like it's moving DUE WEST now...just as forecast

Well, getting it right once in 48hrs is not bad I suppose..

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: dave foster]
      #58553 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[it actually looks like it's moving DUE WEST now...just as forecast

Well, getting it right once in 48hrs is not bad I suppose..

Maybe so. Whether it continues to turn toward the WNW, NW, and ultimately North is another question. The 2315z IR image appears to be misaligned on the NRL floater, or else the system jumped south and significantly west in 30 minutes, which I find hard to believe. SSD floater has not updated with 2315z image yet.

Edit: The new computer model runs are up at WU it appears. BAMM, GFDL, and GFS all show landfall along the west coast of the peninsula, ranging from Tampa to Key West.

Of note: WALA Fox 10 (Mobile) weather guy said of Wilma something like "it's not in our forecast". That's true right now, but it's very disconcerting for a meteorologist to be sounding the "all clear" this early, when lots of things could change.

Edit 2: SSD has now updated with 2315z images and they show no further southward movement, so NRL's image is just misaligned apparently.

--------------------
Hugh

Edited by Hugh (Mon Oct 17 2005 11:42 PM)

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58554 - Mon Oct 17 2005 11:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

newest recon indicates a ragged eyewall has formed:
October 17, 2005 21:32:50 Zulu
L. OPEN W
M. E05/18/8
RAGGED EYE WALL
15.77° N 79.88°
winds still aren't very high... but it's getting it's act together.

At least the pressure has not plummeted - yet anyway. Looking at the latest IR loop, it's not moving east of due south anymore, either. In fact, it actually looks like it's moving DUE WEST now...just as forecast
. In fact, the developing eye (which you can't see on IR) appears midway between the 5pm ET position and the first forecast track position.

What's interesting here is that her pressure was 989mb at the 5pm, considerably large drop for day period... They do mention that the environmental pressure is considerably lower than normal, but when the recon says ragged eyewall, almost makes one wonder if the recon did not sample the best part of the circulation... In other words, missed the wind maxim?

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #58555 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:01 AM

I know it is still extremely early to ask this, but I will anyway. IF Wilma comes to visit the central/south west coast of Florida, what is our best guess as to the intensity? I am hearing cat 2 locally.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #58556 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What's interesting here is that her pressure was 989mb at the 5pm, considerably large drop for day period... They do mention that the environmental pressure is considerably lower than normal, but when the recon says ragged eyewall, almost makes one wonder if the recon did not sample the best part of the circulation... In other words, missed the wind maxim?

Possible. The 8pm intermediate advisory maintained the pressure as 989 (estimated!) and the winds as 50mph, though. Perhaps the airplane never measured the wind maxim, or perhaps the winds have still not caught up to the pressure. The net movement from 5pm to 8pm was also due south according to the advisories (Current movement is called stationary), which makes no sense looking at the IR loop which shows due west movement, however. Maybe the LLC is not moving but the CDO is moving, which means it is reorganizing internally? Or maybe I'm blind and don't know west from south.

--------------------
Hugh

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
      #58557 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:05 AM

17/2000edt : Wilma stationary where she was last period

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #58558 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:07 AM

Hugh, can you answer maddog's question...I gotta run

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: MadDog]
      #58559 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

I know it is still extremely early to ask this, but I will anyway. IF Wilma comes to visit the central/south west coast of Florida, what is our best guess as to the intensity? I am hearing cat 2 locally.

I'm NOT a met, so don't hold me to this, but... best guess.... Cat 2, probably on the order of 100mph. If the storm turns NE, it will be because of the trough, which will bring shear with it, so it's likely that Wilma will be on the downswing as it makes landfall on the peninsula.... IF it makes landfall on the peninsula.

--------------------
Hugh

Ben Wallace

Reged:
Loc: Zephyrhills, FL
      #58560 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:38 AM

I have a question that is kind of off topic how come the trough that steared Charley did not weakened it but instead Charley rapidly intenified where was the shear with that ?

I do think Wilma will reach peak intensity in the Carribean and than weaken as it moves into the Gulf because of shear and slightly cooler waters in the Gulf.

Edited by Ben Wallace (Tue Oct 18 2005 12:40 AM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #58561 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:39 AM

Right now it just matters on how much shear is in for Wilma once it gets into the gulf,, the shear that will push from W-E will drive her NE or even ENE..... I will say 1 thing, she will pick up speed prior to landfall but when is landfall is the best question cause shes not moving much yet,,,right now it looks like Sunday morning but could be as early as Saturday morning if she begins to move NW on Tuesday. All in all its the development of the system over the plains during the mid week period and how fast the Jet stream pushes this east to pick up Wilma and drive her NE.
Intensity should bring her up to near a Cat 4 by Thurs Night but then weaken some due to shear and also slightly cooler waters (although still 81-83dg) later Friday into Saturday. Landfall in Florida could be from a strong cat 1 to a weak ( although how can anyone really say weak) Cat 3. Now even though that water temp still supports a Hurricane, its less then the ocean heat content of the NW carribean near 84-87dg still.
Anyways Im inline pretty much still with the NOGAPS and GFDL 18Z run but more then 3 days out is speculation of course.

Edited by scottsvb (Tue Oct 18 2005 12:41 AM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #58562 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:44 AM

Sure is looking due west to me

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

crpeavley
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: scottsvb]
      #58563 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:50 AM

With the models currently coming into agreement with each other, how much difference will the data from the NOAA Jet make, if any?

cngodles

Reged:
Loc: PA
Re: Tropical Storm Wilma Forms in the Western Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #58564 - Tue Oct 18 2005 12:55 AM

Ok, I was looking at the 1933 Map. I don't see any storms in the middle of the Atlantic. Could they possibly have seen or counted any storms that are comparable to Vince? I'm thinking they had way more than they counted. I can't imagine them having the amount of data we have today.

Thoughts? Comments?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 37783

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center