F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
superfly
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: New Orleans
Re: Another Look [Re: typhoon_tip]
      #59026 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:49 AM

0431. 1656N 08155W 01540 5580 115 154 174 174 162 01006 0000000100

This is a cat 5 folks. 154kts sustained FL with gusts to 162kts.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #59027 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:50 AM

URNT12 KNHC 190446
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 19/04:32:40Z
B. 16 deg 52 min N
081 deg 56 min W
C. 850 mb 516 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 116 deg 162 kt
G. 15 deg 003 nm
H. EXTRAP 901 mb
I. 17 C/ 1537 m
J. 26 C/ 1557 m
K. 25 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C4
N. 12345/ 8
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF308 0724A Wilma OB 07
MAX FL WIND 162 KT NE QUAD 04:31:30 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 850 MB

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Unreal [Re: superfly]
      #59028 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:51 AM

Sorry for the one line post.Wilma becomes a cane in the morning & bombs by evening?!?!?

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #59029 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:52 AM

How many times in history as a hurricane gone from tropical storm strength to category 5 in a 24 hour period? Not sure if this is officially at that rank - it's likely they'll call her a cat 4.. 90% conversion to the surface is a cat 5 however.

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Another Look [Re: Clark]
      #59030 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:52 AM

Quote:

Iif it does get to cat 5, it'll be the first season in recorded history in the Atlantic to see 3 category 5 storms.

I thought so...but wasn't sure.

Practically all day I've been convinced Wilma will get to Cat 5 (but not today!). I just found out from reading Steve Gregory's update that the water temps in that area of the Caribbean are actually still a couple of degrees warmer than the SSTs, below the surface. I was glad to see this because as I posted early this morning, I expected Wilma to hit the warm deep water starting Thursday (then pulled that back to Wed aft/evng as her speed increased) on through Friday. I was wondering where I'd gone wrong reading the HHC map, because I didn't expect Cat 4/5 this evng. Steve, while being a litle behind the eight ball on this one (he's been busy with a family emergency), nevertheless managed to provide, as he almost always does, some interesting and relevant piece of information. Anyway that explains the rapid intensification tonight.

The dry air on the periphery may prove to be a limiting factor on initial organization, particularly in terms of dry air intrusion, but once the inner core becomes established, it can actually help to supress the outer banding features and lead to a very tight inner core that can spin up in quite a hurry.

I felt something along these lines earlier in the evng when I posted that the feeder bands, being partially separated by the dry air from the center convection, were more easily being as I thought of it "sloughed off" to leave the pure central convective core. I've seen several times now where the irregular or banding features are let go and separated from the central rounded core, as part of the intensification process.

But I also noticed that even in the purest smoothest central core visual sat images, such as Katrina's when her winds were at their peak, the seeds of the original spiral bands are still somehow maintained, because when weakening occurs, then the consistency of the CDO falls away and spiral banding again becomes evident (as could be seen with Katrina once the dry air and land started having an affect, before LA landfall).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Another Look [Re: superfly]
      #59031 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:55 AM

When I saw the extrap 901 my jaw dropped.

I expected 920s but didn't have the nerve to post that...cautiously said the signature was a Cat 4, didn't have the nerve to post Cat 5.

TS to Cat 5 in 18 hours.

Well will someone do the math and find out how long it took to drop from 954 to 901 while I try to regain composure?

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
      #59032 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:56 AM

Wow, 53mb drop in 5 hours... that must be some kind of record.

I would expect NHC to upgrade to cat 5, assuming they haven't all passed out from astonishment.

harmlc.ath.cx
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Longwood
Re: Another Look [Re: Margie]
      #59033 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:57 AM

Just over 4 hours I believe. That is simply amazing.

Edited by harmlc.ath.cx (Wed Oct 19 2005 04:58 AM)

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Another Look [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #59034 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:58 AM

I can't believe they did the recon fix at 850mb, considering the 850mb height was only a little over 500m. 1500 feet is pushing it as far as flying around in an intense hurricane.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
      #59035 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:58 AM

OMG 175kts now at 1245am,,4mile eye??? Even for me thats incredible and never seen before.... that much of a pressure drop in 12 hrs of about 70mbs and winds at the surface near 160mph.....

You never know how much a pressure is unless the plane happens to go in at the right time....so such storms in the past there were near this level,,we only knew what the recon and sat said,,..I guess the plane went in the right time..

Anyways the 0z models are in and pretty much the same,,,,Nogaps inland near Sarasota...GFS Naples,, Same for CMC ( but that model has odd shifts in it ) Ill tend to see the GFDL...New data went into the runs,,,guess that helped out during the first 48hrs,, so we know that it will move close to Cancun,,,then when the next flight goes in again tomorrow afternoon,,,tomorrow nights 0z runs will be important for the Gulf movement..

Thing on the GFS though,,,its really slow especially during the 60-84hr time frame,,,,I think it will go slightly further N if it does go near Cancun like the models show the first 60 hrs,....

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Another Look [Re: harmlc.ath.cx]
      #59036 - Wed Oct 19 2005 04:59 AM

Quote:

Just over 4 hours I believe. That is simply amazing.

Well that's the record for this season.

I have to go back to my (scribbled) notes but I believe 10mb per hour for several hours was the previous record (Rita).

Guess Rita didn't even drop that fast. These were my handwritten notes for Rita:

988 5am Tue
956 5am Wed
934 11am Wed
928 12 noon
914 2:30p
904 4:16p
898 6pm

And...did I read that right, that the eye is now only 4mn in diameter? I'm glad the recon caught this one because it is sure to be short-lived.

Edited by Margie (Wed Oct 19 2005 05:07 AM)

BriahH

Reged:
      #59037 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:00 AM

Jaws dropping with the pressure all around. This seems to be unprecedented in terms of a pressure drop and I say that in a season of unprecedented pressure drops from hell. It seems unreal. Is Wilma over one of those eddies we've heard so much about? Do any of you savants have data on these eddies?

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #59039 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:02 AM

hyper bomb... If she get to such prominence it will be difficult for me to buy that subtle influence in the way the trough first begins to influence her steering field will be all that affectual in actually inducing recurvature that quickly.. Trust me, Wilma will be creating her own environment during the day on Wednesday, as soon as the surrounding atmosphere begins to respond to her bombogenisis intensity curve. (There's a lag time for rapid cyclogenisis of any kind with peripheral). Anyway, she's going to have a truly massive circulation envelopement and I don't think the residual dry air will have as much a adverse affect on her because a) I've noticed that the water vapor imagery is moistening things up nw and b) the fact that she's pretty much mostly CDO is going to "perhaps" mean that she protected by dry air because of distance...
gettin' a bad feeling.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Another Look [Re: scottsvb]
      #59040 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:02 AM

does the 175 knts mean thats how fast the winds are or what? is it a category 5 storm already? if so OMG i cant believe my eyes...im absolutely amazed and scared...to be honest....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

dave foster
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: UK
Re: Another Look [Re: superfly]
      #59041 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:03 AM

Are we sure that really is 154kts sustained? I make that 176mph which is higher than Rita made.

Looks like Wilma 'bounced' off the Honduras coast and is now heading due north.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Dave Foster
http://www.ascn92.dsl.pipex.com

Edited by dave foster (Wed Oct 19 2005 05:07 AM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #59043 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:08 AM

So in english what does that mean Typhoon ?

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Another Look [Re: dave foster]
      #59044 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:08 AM

Dropsonde in the NE eyewall measured a surface pressure of 943 mb. A 42 mb difference between the eye and eyewall would be quite extreme, so there may be a QC issue on the surface pressure (which was extrapolated). On the other hand, the observed wind speeds are consistent with a storm of that intensity.

typhoon_tip
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #59045 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:09 AM

You still have to take 154kts *.9 and that is the extrapolated surface wind speed - that you convert to mph gives around 160 - 165...but who's quibbling...those are terrifying numbers!

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
      #59046 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:10 AM

Take a look at the atlantic view of things. You can see how Wilma went from a west loaded weak hurricane to this beast of a storm that is now a cat 5. Its an amazing thing to watch really, just amazing...

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #59047 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:10 AM

Updated advisory just raised the winds to 130 knots sustained (150 mph). A new forecast has been issued as well, mainly to reflect the increase in intensity.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 68 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 79055

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center