F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
hello everyone [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #59442 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:21 PM

all storms ending in A are a problem...

alpha, beta next...just kidding...

but 3 cat 5's is just tooo wierd to me. and this one has an 882 mb pressure, and trochoidal oscillations....wow.....w
i've been involved in the hurricane work on weekends..volunteer...and the damage from Katrina is not possible...but there it is...I could write for hours on what Katrina did...

I just hope Wilma weakens.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
efaulkSWFLA
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Fort Myers, Florida
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records [Re: Clark]
      #59447 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:29 PM

What do you experts see for impact in the Ft. Myers area? Also, what is a realistic wind speed at land fall?

I'll sit back and read all of your great advice..

Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Recco Obs? [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #59448 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:33 PM

has anyone noticed anything interesting in the recco obs? I know a vortex will be out soon, but I was curious if anyone has noticed anything interesting yet. I also am getting the impression the windfield is expanding outward. Is this the case?

Yes, I'll admit, I'm nervous, I am in palm harbor, (anyone have a good elevation map of florida or Pinellas county?) and I'm probably going to make my decision to evacuate tomorrow night. I've already contacted friends in Gainesville and Atlanta, and even if the storm misses you, it's a very good idea to have your plans set out.

If you choose to ride out the storm, for whatever reason you decide you want to, make sure you have plenty of water, bread and batteries. I have a roommate, and together we have about 10 gallons of water, plus another 3 in the freezer frozen. Enough dried and non heated food to last a week, a portable radio and a non cordless telephone (and batteries). Plenty of other things, this has probably spiraled off topic a bit, but anyone have any other critical ideas for weathering a week without power? (car is full of gas)

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: hello everyone [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #59450 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:36 PM

the 12Z GFDL track forecast is out and it is indeed similar to the 12Z GFS, only even slower. It also stalls Wilma over the Yucutan and eventually brings it out on a slower and more southern path, centering it just south of the western tip of Cuba at the end of the forecast in 126 hours. Since the GFS and GFDL are two of the major models used in track forecasts, the forecast just got a lot more complicated.

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: hello everyone [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #59452 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

the 12Z GFDL track forecast is out and it is indeed similar to the 12Z GFS, only even slower. It also stalls Wilma over the Yucutan and eventually brings it out on a slower and more southern path, centering it just south of the western tip of Cuba at the end of the forecast in 126 hours. Since the GFS and GFDL are two of the major models used in track forecasts, the forecast just got a lot more complicated.

Thuderbird, do you have a link for the 12Z GFDL?

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Wilma Becomes Category 5 Hurricane [Re: SirCane]
      #59453 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:40 PM

I said many times now that if the system does stall down by Cancun , it will go further south towards the keys or just south of there towards what the GFS is showing.,, I want to see future runs of these models first.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Wilma Becomes Category 5 Hurricane [Re: scottsvb]
      #59454 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:41 PM

Just go to wunderground.com its updated on the computer models under Wilma.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: hello everyone [Re: evergladesangler]
      #59455 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thuderbird, do you have a link for the 12Z GFDL?

Here is a link to the points from the latest forecast track:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=WBCCHGQLM&version=1&max=25

debwire

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Re: Current Evacuation Plans [Re: FlaMommy]
      #59456 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:41 PM

I just made hotel reservations at a hotel in Tampa (in a non-flood zone). I live in flood zone A in St. Pete and am not willing to take chances this year like I did last year. I rode out Frances and Jeanne and didn't evacuate for Charley and after seeing Katrina's aftermath as well as TBO.com's illustration, I just want peace of mind and to be out of harm's way. Advice for anyone else expecting to make reservations in the Tampa Bay area, a lot of the hotels are booked to capacity so you need to make them very soon. I got one that accepts pets as I have two cats and cannot evacuate to a shelter.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
      #59457 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:42 PM

Doesn't she look like she's moving due west?

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #59458 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:42 PM

Well I still cant get more then 72hrs out on the NOGAPS,,it hasnt slowed it at all and the CMC keeps it even faster making landfall Friday night near Everglades City.

debwire

Reged:
Re: Max Mayfield's Comments from about an Hour ago... [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #59459 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:44 PM

Here is a video clip of part of his press conference:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2005/10/19/sot.nhc.mayfield.wsvn

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Wilma, Category 5 and Breaking Records [Re: Clark]
      #59460 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:45 PM

Lord...the local radio stations are already using Fred Flinstone's voice screeming "WILMA". Get used to it...it'll be all over the place (kinda tacky I think)

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

emackl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indianapolis
      #59461 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:45 PM

I"m getting the 6z with that link!

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
      #59462 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:45 PM

This could be a case of bad data into the models. Seems odd that they made such swift changes... GDFL is not know for doing that, whereas you can expect that from the GFS.

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Recco Obs? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #59463 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:46 PM

It'll be interesting to see what the recon finds. I'm not sure what to expect... the pressure almost certainly dropped lower than 882 mb after the plane left, since there was no indication at that point that the deepening was leveling off. It's likely been on the rise this morning based on the somewhat degraded satellite appearance. Not only will be first central pressure reading itself be notable, but also the current trend in pressure that will be observed with the second pressure fix. It will likely be impossible to go back and estimate what the pressure actually bottomed out at, but we can always speculate based on the current pressure trends.

debwire

Reged:
Re: Recco Obs? [Re: Bloodstar]
      #59464 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:48 PM

Maps for the Tampa Bay area:

http://www2.sptimes.com/pdfs/hurricanemaps/

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: hello everyone [Re: emackl]
      #59465 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:49 PM

Quote:

I"m getting the 6z with that link!

Oops... try this link and scroll down to the Wilma output, or hit the 'Current Version" link on the previous link I mentioned:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=WBCCHGQLM&version=0&max=25

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #59466 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:54 PM

Actually,,the UKMET also agrees on a slowdown and has done that for 2 days near the tip of the Yucitan,, so what can we think???? It will probably slow down on Friday but where and how long is the question. Again this is all a wait and see. I cant give anyone a prediction. IF it does slow down,, A turn more east like I said above thru the straits or skim nw Cuba would seem logical.

On a side note,,People keep asking me, do you think it will come to Tampa area? My answer is this,,,When Tampa gets a hurricane,,,,Cleveland will WIN a Championship in some major sport...

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Here we go! [Re: D3m3NT3DVoRT3X]
      #59467 - Wed Oct 19 2005 05:55 PM

Quote:

any mods around .. so we can get a new thread started ? =D

I already asked a half hour ago! No such luck.

Wilma's track has consistently been keeping her just to the west of the warmest waters according to the HHCmap...which obviously doesn't seem to matter as she has plenty of heat content.

But if she stays on track, and even if she goes along a track that is a little more westward, once she gets above 19N there is going to be some warmer deep water. If she stalls there, east of the Yucatan, she'll likely just keep cycling at Cat 5 level, steady state like she's doing right now, and even possibly setting another record, depending on when and if an ERC occurs (we've been expecting the small eye to implode practically from the first moment, but here it is going on 13 hours and still clearly visible on wv image; we don't understand it, but she has been steady state).

If she ramps down in intensity, expect her to come back up again once over this area.

I think recon is close. Guess they'll be using 700mb this time!

Edited by Margie (Wed Oct 19 2005 06:11 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 69304

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center