F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
Lance Wilson
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: TampaDon]
      #60228 - Thu Oct 20 2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

Long time lurker here, but just a simple question. I seem to remember during last years storm season and some of the previous storms this year, that an appearance of elongation in one direction or another was a precursor of a change in general movement in that direction. I was just watchhing CNN and looking at the IR images in the background and see what I think is N-S elongation of the overall image. I could be seeing things, but if this is the case, could this be the beginning of the long awaited change in movement to the NW and North?

Thanks in advance

Exactly. It has started NW now, possibly NNW. Some METs from Ruskin are calling for it to miss the Yucatan all together, but that remains to be seen.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Lance Wilson]
      #60231 - Thu Oct 20 2005 03:44 PM

Afternoon all.

Wilma's eye is starting to clear out nicely. She seems to be emerging from the ERC very well. I think as soon as the eye finishes clearing out, the pressure is going to start dropping like a rock again, and she'll become quite strong up until she runs out of real estate (probably in the pre-dawn hours). If at that time she stalls or moves more northward, a definite possibility (look at the high over NW Mex), she'll probably again maintain steady state Cat 5 into the GOM.

In another hour or so, wave heights at buoy 42056 will reach 30 feet, and should peak in about 8-10 hours.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60232 - Thu Oct 20 2005 03:44 PM

Between the last recon fix about 8 hours ago and this one, the heading has been 315 degrees (straight NW).

Pressure up some, but FL winds support 130 knots, which would be up from the last advisory. Not unexpected, since the wind field has likely reconsolidated and is more in line with what you would expect from a 918mb storm. There still seem to be some fragments of the inner eyewall floating around inside the larger center. Those will have to be cleared out if Wilma is going to significantly reintensify.

TampaDon

Reged: Tue
      #60234 - Thu Oct 20 2005 03:46 PM

Thanks for the reply. It will be interesting to see if the motion change plays out, and what it does from there. Is would seem not at all unlikely for it to stay over water if the motion change pans out.This is pretty much the scenarion Denis Phillips layed out yesterday of the day before. His issue was the closer to the Yucatan, the more north on the FL peninsula. Not good for me here in Tampa, but Tampa, while in the cone of uncertainty, is probably on the outside edge of probabliity for a direct hit.

Edited by TampaDon (Thu Oct 20 2005 03:50 PM)

doug
Weather Analyst

Reged: Mon
Loc: parrish,fl
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60236 - Thu Oct 20 2005 03:52 PM

I am in agreement with Tip , and I really can't see this lurking 40 hours down here. The southern solutions toaround 10000 Islands are taking this off the Yucatan at about 60-70 degrees and that just doesn't look like what the evidence shows. The trough to the west has shown a steeper amplitude than that, as Tip said suggesting almost NNE mechanism ahead to steer this off...that is too steep too in my opiinion so I'm compromising at around 45-50 degrees and up the coast a bit.
A little quicker than Monday too.

--------------------
doug

Edited by doug (Thu Oct 20 2005 03:54 PM)

Bloodstar

Loc: Tucson, AZ
It's a limb... I'm jumping out on it! [Re: doug]
      #60239 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:02 PM

The storm is moving too northerly to make landfall on the yucatan. I'm calling for it to not make official land fall. I also thing the storm is starting to pick up a little forward speed. I'm expecting a 6 - 7mph movement, probably still called NW by the NHC, but with a turn to NNW by 11pm. Wilma is just bound and determined to frustrate us.

Part of my reasoning is watching the water vapor imagry show a significant push west to east. which will help forestall any movement (much) further west. In addition, there is a channel of lower pressure that runs to the NNW of Wilma, which I think will be followed to just east of the Yucatan.

I will not make any sort of guess about what happens after that.

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: doug]
      #60243 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:13 PM

The 18Z NOGAPS has it continuing north and then left turning into the Yucatan where it stalls out for a few days and then reenters the Gulf north of Meridia. Weird.

lawgator
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: E C Fla.
Nature [Re: Bloodstar]
      #60244 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:13 PM

Despite the death and destruction, you really have to admire the symmetry and beauty of it. Reminds me of a conch shell:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-vis-loop.html

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: SW FL
Re: It's a limb... I'm jumping out on it! [Re: Bloodstar]
      #60245 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:14 PM

Nice observation Bloodstar. I hadn't noticed it myself until TWC showed Wilma's track so far with a line super-imposed over it. In the last couple of frames it shows a B-Line almost straight north. Its like a 80-85 degree shift in the track. I was so surprised I had to play it again on the TiVO.

However, current Sat loop shows a definite NW motion. If it continues in a straight line it will barely miss the Yucatan, not good for us in S. FL . I also agree that this hurricane will not linger there for days like some models show. The westerlies are coming. You can see them in WV over N Mexico and Texas eroding the ridge, its just a matter of how quickly and where they take Wilma.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: evergladesangler]
      #60246 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:14 PM

Hi I was wondering something...on the spaghetti models on the main page under the NHC tracker it has three of the models going thru central florida*tampa bay*...anyones take on that??

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: It's a limb... I'm jumping out on it! [Re: Bloodstar]
      #60248 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:18 PM

This is a painfully difficult forecast for NHC. Models have not been able to settle on any one solution for very long. This may end up approaching the Yucutan at a rather oblique angle, making the forecast of possible landfall and how long it would linger over the Yucutan very difficult. That part of the forecast makes a huge difference down the line in the intensity forecast. The forecast timing is also in question because there appears to be a fine line as far as when Wilma gets picked up based on the model output... if it stays a little further east than expected, it will get picked up sooner, but if it moves a little more west it could stall out. Throw in the impact of an eyewall-replacement cycle that is struggling to complete and the forecast is really a mess.

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: evergladesangler]
      #60249 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:21 PM

The last GFS run (12Z) also suggested a temporary move to the north, then a move back to the left over the Yucutan. Obviously, there is something that is causing the models to behave that way, but the features at work are probably too subtle to clearly diagnose.

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: FlaMommy]
      #60251 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:28 PM

FlaMommy: I'm sorry but I could not navigate to where you were referring and find the models. However, here are the models from WU and I find that they are the quickest with their updates...none shown are near Tampa...oddly the NOGAPS is not shown. However, the NOGAPS was up earlier so I suspect it'll again update this evening.

www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200524_model.html

If you could provide a direct link to what you were referring to, I'd greatly apreciate it. I'd like to see what that one has.

FYI ALL: on Sun-Sentinel.com Max Mayfield is expected to have another "news conference" at 4:45pm. They'll be streaming it live.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: native]
      #60253 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:31 PM

im so sorry about that here it is....

http://www.skeetobiteweather.com/picservice.asp?t=m&m=24

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Collier County Mandatory Evacuations [Re: FlaMommy]
      #60254 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:35 PM

The Collier County Commission has ordered that mandatory evacuations will begin at noon Friday for all Collier County residents living west and south of U.S. 41. Officials hope to have evacuation complete in that part of the county by Saturday at noon.

blue flash

#60255 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:36 PM

I'm not sure whether it is actually elongated to the north. The western side may be losing convection due to the interaction with the relatively dry land mass of the Yucatan. This gives the appearance of north/south elongation.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: native]
      #60256 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:39 PM

They also showed on the noon-time weather on ABC that out of 45 models, 8 had either near, above or below TB. I'm not sure which ones they were, though, because they didn't mention them.
Did anyone here know that Governer Bush has declared a State of Emergency? Not at all unexpected; just surprised no one has said anything about it.
I cannot see Wilma making a direct landfall in Cancun...I believe she is just going to graze it...and mover further north before the turn to the NE begins. I've been calling for a track further to the north now for 3 days, might as well stick with it, huh?
Of course, now that all that's been said, Mr. Mayfield may come out and say: we expect it to hit somewhere between the FL Straits and Cuba".

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: blue flash]
      #60257 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:39 PM

Ther NEW 5pm track takes it even slower then before.It has it still sunday way off of the coast.Right now it is still only 5MPH not faster as was suggested and also still NW and not NNW as was also.

All in All it has done about what they have said it would do just the long range has been going different directions.

Also winds are back up to 150 mph.

Edited by Rdietch (Thu Oct 20 2005 04:40 PM)

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: blue flash]
      #60258 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:40 PM

5:00 is out. 18.9 85.7 NW 5 mph WINDS NOW 150mph

Track looks about the same

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

native
Weather Guru

Loc: SE Florida
Re: Wilma Moving Northwest [Re: FlaMommy]
      #60259 - Thu Oct 20 2005 04:41 PM

AH HAH! Thanks! Well, here's a link that DanielW has posted under General....I think you'll find it a great read and possibly might help to ease a little of your anxiety.

DanielW also says thanks to Bobbutts for the link in his post:

http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=74792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 571 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 55652

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center