F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Wilma Crosses over Cozumel
      #60886 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:22 PM

10:30PM
Portions of the New Advisory are out. Track hasn't changed all that much future wise. STill predicting a high end Category 2 as it approaches Florida. Some models are showing more restrengthening before hitting the shear, so a 3 isn't out of the question. But it could weaken still as well. The NHC doesn't do very well with intensity forecasts.

Winds are down to 140MPH.

9:30PM
Model trends are moving more northward again with the latest GFS and GFDL runs, but as stated before, until the system moves away from the Yucatan, it will be nearly impossible to pick a landfall point. Anyone in the cone of uncertainty needs to pay attention to the system.

The Cancun radar seems to have gone down. The mirror will continue to try to communicate with it, but it's very likely no new images will appear from it.

8:15PM
Wilma is north of Cozumel, and judging by recon reports is moving very slowly, more northward than anything at the moment. But it is over water this is likely a wobble and a more north northwesterly motion will occur soon.

The Florida keys are still asking nonresidents to leave, and will be considering mandatory evacuations for all tomorrow morning which they may implement later.

Original Update
Hurricane Wilma has made landfall in Cozumel and now will make landfall in mainland Mexico, it has slowed down during the day and may stay over the Yucatan for upwards of 24 hours. Weakening the storm, but devistating the resort towns along the area.

Larger shot of the above view

Wilma will likely emerge from the Yucatan as a weaker hurricane, have a slight chance to restrengthen (depends on how much the Yucatan takes out of it) and then hit conditions to weaken again as it gets pushed to the ea st.

Visible on satellite is the "wing" of clouds coming from the northeastern section of the storm, which is now flowing over Florida. This is a fairly good indicator of what direction the storm may take later. However it will be a while before it gains enough latitude for itself to be pushed eastward. Until the storm clears the Yucatan it is nearly pointless trying to pick any single landfall point.

More to come later on Wilma.

Elsewhere... The wave in the east Caribbean is showing signs of organization and may become a depression in day or two. Early models suggest it may turn north over some the of central islands in the Caribbean, but not affect the United States but we'll watch it as well. Hopefully it won't have much time to develop before approaching the islands.

Report Conditions from Wilma in your area here
Make your landfall prediction or forecast in this topic.

(full size)
Image courtesy SkeetobiteWeather.com Click here for full size image
Comments/Feedback on the maps look here.

Event Related Links

Stormcarib reports from Cozumel/Cancun (Includes Photos)
Stormcarib reports from the islands
Cancun Radar Animation (Flhurricane mirror) (Note: Radar hasn't sent a new image since 7:30 it will still continue to check, but the radar may be down due to Wilma)

Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop
Tampa, FL Long Range Radar Loop
Miami, FL Long Range Radar
Melbourne, FL Long Range Radar

Emergency Management/County info
Florida County Websites (South to North along the West Coast):
Monroe County Emergency Management (Florida Keys)
Collier County, FL
Lee County, FL
Charlotte County, FL
Sarasota County, FL
Manatee County, FL
Pinellas County, FL

Other Florida County Emergency Management Websites

State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa,Miami, Key West, Melbourne

"Spaghetti" style model plots from Colorado State / Jonathan Vigh

Local Newspapers/Websites
Naples News

Web based Video and Audio
Many websites require realplayer for video and audio, you can get real player here or an alternative real media player here (Ie WinXp64)

Jim Williams, from Hurricane City and West Palm Beach, will likely be doing his live audio show as Wilma approaches on hurricanecity. Listen here He usually starts at 8PM eastern and runs until the 11PM advisory comes out.

Marc Sudduth over at hurricanetrack.com is heading toward South Florida see some of his live streaming video and audio here

Hurricanenow - Former CNN hurricane Reporter Jeff Flock reports from the storm with video updates and live streaming
Weathervine.com storm chasers/video/audio
radioNHCWX (not affiliated with the real NHC)
Barometer Bob

WebCams
Royal Resorts Webcams in Cancun
The Royal Sands Animated WebCam (Flhurricane Mirrored)

Reply and let us know of other links.

Wilma

* NEW * Skeetobite Animated Model Graphic
South Florida Water Management District Animated model plot of Wilma - Static Image
Wilma Microwave Imagery Animation
Floater Satellite with storm track overlays
Weather Underground Model Plots
cimss page

Wave 99L

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: MikeC]
      #60889 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:32 PM

The last available Cancun radar image at 2137Z suggests that the outer wind max/eyewall was just barely south of Cancun at that time. As Wilma has continued to drift to the north, that feature may have already reached Cancun or will reach them at any time. Conditions could really go downhill there after that. Thankfully, the convection seems to have weakened somewhat in the northern half of the system based on the IR, but there is still some fierce weather impacting the coast up there.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60895 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:41 PM

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: tpratch]
      #60899 - Fri Oct 21 2005 10:53 PM

Firs effect from Wilma on central Florida ...
http://65.75.66.73/IMG_0820.JPG
http://65.75.66.73/IMG_0822.JPG
http://65.75.66.73/IMG_0824.JPG
http://65.75.66.73/IMG_0825.JPG

I took photos one hour ago

Looks more like Kansas ..

Edited by komi (Fri Oct 21 2005 11:02 PM)

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: SW FL
Looks like a stall [Re: komi]
      #60912 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:13 PM

From looking at sat images. The last 6 frames, or 3 hours, show about no movement. If anything she is creeping north ever so slightly. Doesn't look like she will bury herself in the Yucatan, but you never know, she could start moving west again.

Lance Wilson
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: Myles]
      #60913 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:17 PM

Quote:

From looking at sat images. The last 6 frames, or 3 hours, show about no movement. If anything she is creeping north ever so slightly. Doesn't look like she will bury herself in the Yucatan, but you never know, she could start moving west again.

The last hour she has gone 7 min north and 1 min east. (Comparing recon reports.) Still about 5 MPH or so I think.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
      #60914 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:18 PM

THere is a brave soul still uploading photos from Cancun at this link from StormCarib. The worst hasn't reached there yet.

I've posted the link in the main thread, but thought it beared mentioning here as well.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
      #60915 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

The 2215z image shows just a HINT of movement due north to me. It's still possible that Wilma will never fully make landfall on the mainland (not likely, but possible)... She's been paralleling the coast inching northward for several hours now pretty much.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

komi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: Lance Wilson]
      #60916 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:19 PM

Looks to me like eyewall is not that perfect like earlier ...

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropi...b-204N-867W.jpg

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Central Arkansas
      #60917 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Is it the cool front we are experiencing here in Arkansas that is supposed to turn this thing east? Someone please tell me exactly what is supposed to nudge this baby once it finally gets enough steam to "walk on through to the other side"?

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #60919 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:21 PM

If anything, I think there has been a slow northward drift. It also appears that the eye may be shrinking some on the most recent frames, so maybe it is going to try another ERC after all. The 12Z UKMET was the only recent model that never made a full Yucatan landfall with Wilma, basically having it parallel the coast for 36 hours. That was an outlier, but it seems to be the only model solution that isn't already too far west in its track.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: MikeC]
      #60920 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:22 PM

Quote:

THere is a brave soul still uploading photos from Cancun at this link from StormCarib. The worst hasn't reached there yet.
I've posted the link in the main thread, but thought it beared mentioning here as well.

My god... what is that guy THINKING???? Of course... these pictures are a good example of why NOT to go out during a category 4 hurricane. I wonder how long he'll be able to provide new images, though... not long I don't think.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: Hugh]
      #60921 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:23 PM

Looks more NNW to me and extremely slow - nearly stationary.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #60922 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:24 PM

URNT12 KNHC 212322
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 21/23:11:00Z
B. 20 deg 34 min N
086 deg 45 min W
C. 700 mb 2474 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 222 deg 111 kt
G. 129 deg 031 nm
H. EXTRAP 930 mb
I. 9 C/ 3048 m
J. 17 C/ 3046 m
K. 16 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C24
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF305 1524A Wilma OB 31
MAX FL WIND 119 KT N QUAD 20:01:50 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 700 MB

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: collegemom]
      #60924 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:25 PM

I think that is the one. Timing is the big issue now.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged:
      #60925 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:27 PM

The latest recon fix is in the exact same location as the fix 90 minutes ago. Keep in mind, though, that there is some error involved in pinpointing the exact center.

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: Hugh]
      #60926 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:28 PM

Last 2 hours (90 minutes, really) does verify for a NNW heading.

The radar that was dead, back to life, dead again, is now back to life again (for now). I'll continue my hourly updates to this puppy so long as there is data to do so.

Tracey
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Looks like a stall [Re: MichaelA]
      #60927 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:31 PM

O.K., question, so what IF it doesn't come assure on the Yucatan, how will that impact the track and intesity? It looks very elongated to the north/northeast to me.

jlauderdal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FLorida
      #60928 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:32 PM

Quote:

If anything, I think there has been a slow northward drift. It also appears that the eye may be shrinking some on the most recent frames, so maybe it is going to try another ERC after all. The 12Z UKMET was the only recent model that never made a full Yucatan landfall with Wilma, basically having it parallel the coast for 36 hours. That was an outlier, but it seems to be the only model solution that isn't already too far west in its track.

the farther north she makes the narrower the landmass so even if she comes inthere is less and less land to work with

sara33
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Pete,
Re: Wilma Crosses over Cozumel [Re: komi]
      #60930 - Fri Oct 21 2005 11:33 PM

WOW Komi, Thanks for the photos.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 248 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 59586

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center