F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #61315 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:12 AM

The radar images seem to be old, or something strange has happened. Anyone know of any other radar sites?

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: evergladesangler]
      #61316 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:14 AM

Good question...I think it's all going to be a matter of timing...one thing I did notice was that the area to the west of Wilma seems to be getting pushed back, which is allowing the outflow from Wilma to expand. And it does appear as if she is just about to exit the peninsula. Hmmm...what if this whole thing reverses, and the northerly movement is faster than they are thinking and the move to the NE is slower?
Now, there's a stumper for ya.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: StormHound]
      #61317 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:16 AM

It says at the top it was updated at 8:39! That's 15 minutes. It's been updating well since I started watch this early a.m. I've done a google search for more sites but they all give the same one.

Updated Link

http://smn.cna.gob.mx/radares/rad%2dcanc.jpg

Edited by emackl (Sat Oct 22 2005 09:20 AM)

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: JG]
      #61318 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:17 AM

I live in southern Pasco Co, just north of Tampa. This is the first I have heard about all the tornadoes and such. Now Im beginning to worry about what to expect from the two fronts meeting.

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61319 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:20 AM

Quote:

Good question...I think it's all going to be a matter of timing...one thing I did notice was that the area to the west of Wilma seems to be getting pushed back, which is allowing the outflow from Wilma to expand. And it does appear as if she is just about to exit the peninsula. Hmmm...what if this whole thing reverses, and the northerly movement is faster than they are thinking and the move to the NE is slower?
Now, there's a stumper for ya.

I don't believe these fronts are strong enough to move it east as quickly as first predicted. I see more movement north before movement east.

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Colleen A.

Re: Question to the Mets and all-Are we not looking at a possible massive tornado event? [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #61320 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:22 AM

What exactly do you mean, Guppie? That the cold front is not going to reach as far south as they were predicting? My eyes are tired...words work better for me right now, LOL.
Oh...and it does appear that it IS just about to exit the peninsula, does it not?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

SEFL

Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Rdietch]
      #61321 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Very simple Forcast the longer its over Land the more south it goes.

With this in mind i have not seen much movement lets hope it stays that way for awhile.

"THE LONGER
THAT Wilma REMAINS NEARLY STATIONARY...THE CHANCES BECOME GREATER
FOR A MORE EAST-NORTHEASTERLY TRACK AS INDICATED BY SOME GUIDANCE. " This is partial quote from 5am NHC discussion. How does your comment square with this?

funky
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: StPeteBill]
      #61322 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:26 AM

Quote:

Well here in St Pete I am only planning on brining in the hanging plants, everything else stays where it is. I honestly do not think the winds are going to be that bad here.

down here in 34202 (bradenton/sarasota) and thinking the same thing... i have a large gas grill out on the lanai with the pool equipment and about 12 plants in clay pots. i know the plants will need to come in, but dont' know about the grill. might do it just to be safe. if this thing shifts just slightly north (and it looks like it could since the storm is ahead of schedule into the GOM) we could have cat 1 or 2 winds, which would suck big time.

--------------------
WE WILL FIX YOU N.O. --- http://media.putfile.com/KATRINA25

CocoCrk

Reged: Mon
Loc: Coconut Creek, FL
TD 25 is born [Re: funky]
      #61323 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:29 AM

On a lighter note....TD25 has been born....first advisory at 11AM...models look to take it over Hispaniola and out to sea...we can only hope...back to regularly scheduled programming.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: SEFL]
      #61324 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

With this in mind i have not seen much movement lets hope it stays that way for awhile.

"THE LONGER
FOR A MORE EAST-NORTHEASTERLY TRACK AS INDICATED BY SOME GUIDANCE. " This is partial quote from 5am NHC discussion. How does your comment square with this?

Uh... that's EXACTLY what was said. A more ENE track wil result in a more south track than a NNE or NE track.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

emackl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indianapolis
      #61325 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

"THE LONGER

Well, your both right..LOL! If it moves off sooner it will go NE . Longer it stays the more likely ENE therefore a further south Fl strike.

Cycloneye11
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Loc: San Juan,Puerto Rico
Re: TD 25 is born [Re: CocoCrk]
      #61326 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:34 AM

TROPICAL DEPRESSION TWENTY-FIVE (AL252005) ON 20051022 1200 UTC

...00 HRS... ...12 HRS... ...24 HRS... ...36 HRS...
051022 1200 051023 0000 051023 1200 051024 0000

LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON
BAMD 15.8N 67.5W 16.8N 69.9W 18.1N 72.1W 20.0N 74.0W
BAMM 15.8N 67.5W 17.1N 69.9W 18.4N 71.8W 20.1N 73.8W
A98E 15.8N 67.5W 16.5N 70.0W 17.3N 72.2W 18.9N 74.2W
LBAR 15.8N 67.5W 16.9N 69.7W 18.5N 71.6W 20.5N 73.4W
SHIP 30KTS 35KTS 41KTS 46KTS
DSHP 30KTS 35KTS 33KTS 38KTS

...48 HRS... ...72 HRS... ...96 HRS... ..120 HRS...
051024 1200 051025 1200 051026 1200 051027 1200

LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON LAT LON
BAMD 23.3N 75.4W 33.8N 71.3W 43.7N 53.4W 37.4N 25.8W
BAMM 23.2N 75.3W 32.3N 72.0W 41.4N 56.2W 39.8N 29.0W
A98E 22.4N 74.8W 28.2N 70.9W 34.7N 59.6W 37.7N 37.4W
LBAR 23.5N 74.1W 37.9N 66.0W .0N .0W .0N .0W
SHIP 51KTS 54KTS 51KTS 34KTS
DSHP 43KTS 45KTS 43KTS 25KTS

...INITIAL CONDITIONS...
LATCUR = 15.8N LONCUR = 67.5W DIRCUR = 285DEG SPDCUR = 13KT
LATM12 = 15.1N LONM12 = 65.0W DIRM12 = 285DEG SPDM12 = 14KT
LATM24 = 14.3N LONM24 = 62.3W
WNDCUR = 30KT RMAXWD = 30NM WNDM12 = 25KT
CENPRS = 1007MB OUTPRS = 1012MB OUTRAD = 180NM SDEPTH = D
RD34NE = 0NM RD34SE = 0NM RD34SW = 0NM RD34NW = 0NM

Yep TD25 is born.Will Alpha be born here and make history?

Edited by Cycloneye11 (Sat Oct 22 2005 09:34 AM)

SEFL

Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Hugh]
      #61327 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:34 AM

Uh... that's EXACTLY what was said. A more ENE track wil result in a more south track than a NNE or NE track.

I wasn't questioning it, I just wasn't understanding it, and since I live at 26.8N 80.2W I am very interesting in where Wilma will eventually head. Already have 1/2 the shutters up. But 39 windows are a bit of work.

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: TD 25 is born [Re: CocoCrk]
      #61328 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:35 AM

Quote:

On a lighter note....TD25 has been born....first advisory at 11AM...models look to take it over Hispaniola and out to sea...we can only hope...back to regularly scheduled programming.

And on a related note... looking at the IR loop... Wilma is remarkably still well organized. Cold cloud tops are returning to the east and southwest eyewall. Unless there is a lot of shear I don't see, we could have a cat 4 again very soon after the eye emerges into the GOM. I'm sure the shear will make that intensification limited longer-term, but the shear will be further north.

As for T.D. 25... It definately does look like a fish spinner right now after it goes over Hispaniola, but that could change this far out... if it even survives the trek across Hispaniola, which is not a given. The people of Haiti will be likely be able to say they have been hit by the first ever Greek tropical storm, though

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Colleen A.

Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: emackl]
      #61330 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:36 AM

Remember one thing: they are counting on the cold front digging pretty deep into the GOM causing that ENE motion. I'm not seeing it dig that far south yet, so this could all be for naught.
The weather tends to do whatever it wants...no matter what the models say...and with this system, I think we have to keep a closer eye on what the satellites are showing us than what the models are showing us.
We are getting close to end of the Yucatan Peninsula trip. Then we can start to get a good grip on what to expect after that...I hope.
Now I have to go find my coffee which I lost somewhere between the computer and the kitchen.

--------------------

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
After Wilma has departed [Re: funky]
      #61331 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:36 AM

This may be a little off-topic, but I hope mods leave it up for a little while so people can read it.

I work for an insurance company. One of the best things you can do now to prepare for Wilma is to find your homeowners policy and read it. Find out what your hurricane deductible is. Know your insurance company's claims hotline. Find out what your coverages are, especially for things like mold and fungus. Many homeowners policies do not cover flood damage, but you should already have a separate flood policy if one is required.

After Wilma, call your company and make your claim. Take pictures of any damages if you can. Save *all* your receipts for repairs. If you went through a broker, do not call them - this will only add time to your claim, and most brokers will only tell you to call the company direct anyway. Here are some claims phone numbers of major insurance companies.

The Hartford - 800-243-5860
Citizens - 866-411-2742
National Flood - 800-759-8656
Fireman's Fund - 888-347-3428

Above all, know what you are covered for, and what you can expect with your claim. Your best defense here is knowledge.

Edited by MissBecky (Sat Oct 22 2005 09:46 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#61332 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:38 AM

Quote:

I wasn't questioning it, I just wasn't understanding it, and since I live at 26.8N 80.2W I am very interesting in where Wilma will eventually head. Already have 1/2 the shutters up. But 39 windows are a bit of work.

Ah, sorry for the confusion then. Well, look at it this way, if you've already got half of them up, you might as well put them all up. We don't know where Wilma will eventually head, and we won't know for a couple of days likely, but better to be safe than sorry.

--------------------
Hugh

evergladesangler
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61333 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:40 AM

With this loop it looks like the COC just wobbled west if it's the brighter yellow area with the red east and south of it:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-ir4-loop.html

I might add this is the further the COC has been from water to this point if I'm seeing it right.

Edited by evergladesangler (Sat Oct 22 2005 09:42 AM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Re: Prolonged Hurricane Force Winds Now Affecting Cancun [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61334 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:40 AM

Quote:

Remember one thing: they are counting on the cold front digging pretty deep into the GOM causing that ENE motion. I'm not seeing it dig that far south yet, so this could all be for naught.

I completely agree. I just don't know what the impact of the lack of the front digging down deeply will mean.

Okay... I just overlayed the front on the water vapor loop. The orientation of the front, if the map is accurate, is not what it appears on the WV loop. At least not to my eyes, unless I look REALLY close and then I do see it at the end. If the orientation does not change, the front will have to dig very deep for the official forecast to hold. That may happen, but if it doesn't...

--------------------
Hugh

Edited by Hugh (Sat Oct 22 2005 09:48 AM)

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: TD 25 is born [Re: Hugh]
      #61335 - Sat Oct 22 2005 09:46 AM

I agree with you Hugh, I really expected her to get knocked down more. Especially the length of time the eye has been inland. Could be due to the flat topography and the fact that 4/5 ths of the storm is still over warm water.

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 159 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 62522

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center