F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 210 (Idalia) , Major: 210 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 210 (Idalia) Major: 210 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)
Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: Tampa [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #61947 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

00Z GFS still suggests landfall near Ft. Myers around 12Z on Monday. The GFS has been further north of most of the other models in the last couple of runs, so keep that in mind:

Actually no, the GFS shows a Sarasota County landfall.

That's fairly far north of the consensus (but in line with my thinking).

The map I am looking at suggests landfall further south, actually probably between Ft. Myers and Charlotte Harbor.

Regarding the models that go into the forecast, none of the 00Z models go into the 11pm advisory. Usually, no GFS output from 00Z is available until 0330Z (11:30 PM EDT). The GFDL runs off of the GFS and is available even later. Even if it was available sooner, the NHC would use the 18Z runs for the 11pm advisory because they have to prepare a whole suite of products and they would not have time to make last minute changes based on newer but incomplete model runs.

Regional models like the NAM are available sooner, but NHC does not use those, or at least they never cite them in their discussions.

Edited by danielw (Sun Oct 23 2005 01:06 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ddawes27

Reged: Mon
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: Joshua]
      #61949 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:54 AM

I too am perplexed at where miss Wilma will hit............but I am prepared for staying..........or evacuating North from here( Punta Gorda) My only confidence is that. I have a bad feeling about the Peace River! Good Luck!

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Re: Front [Re: maddie]
      #61950 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:55 AM

Last year, we went to a shelter for Frances and Jeanne and both times the house had no structural damage from the storms, so we are considering staying home this time as my father has a bad cold and just got out of the hospital and being in a shelter would be a pretty taxing process. We are in Fort Pierce, FL, which seems to be the current end game for the East Coast ocean fall (is that a word?). How bad is this going to be for this area? If it comes across at 20 MPH, would it be worse than Jeanne or Frances or would the speed limit the possible damage. We do not live in a flood zone and the area is fairly densely populated with houses, brick school, etc...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

weatherwatcher2
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish florida
Re: Tampa [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #61951 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:55 AM

Are these consistant?web page

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Movement [Re: tpratch]
      #61952 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:55 AM

All the mets here in Tampa are stating that they believe that the point of landrfall will more likely to be further north (in Ft. Myers) than what the current forecast is showing. They are basing this opinion on the last 24 hours of modell runs from the GFS and the GFDL. I believe that I read earlier on that the 11pm forecast track was shifted a tad north.
In Polk County, we are now under a TS Wind Warning. I think this is because the cold front and Hurricane Wilma will be clashing with eatch other. Of course, it will be much worse on the beaches....I sincerely hope that those in the direct path of this storm will not see devastating effects.
Colleen

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #61953 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:56 AM

SPECIAL NCEP DISCUSSION
CENTRAL OPERATIONS/NCEP/NWS/WASHINGTON DC
0250 UTC SUN OCT 23 2005

230250..THE 00Z GFS STARTED ON TIME..NGM DONE. NAM WAS OUT
TO T+72HRS. THERE WERE 20 NOAA G-IV DROPSONDES IN
FOR THE GFS DUMP.

http://www-its.fsl.noaa.gov/ssg/status/ncep-status.html

Big Tk
Weather Watcher

Loc: Tampa FL
      #61954 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:58 AM

If you look at the last few satellite loops. It looks like its trying to reform a eye around that convection to the north. I believe there are concentric eye walls forming.

pincty
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Re: Front [Re: maddie]
      #61955 - Sun Oct 23 2005 12:59 AM

I think we'll be OK Maddie. At least I hope so. Last year I vowed that after putting some savings away every two weeks that I should start buying .050 custom cut aluminum panels for my windows. They can withstand 150 mph winds. Well, I have 18 windows on my house and so far I have panels for six windows. In a year, I'll have them all completed. But right now I am 33 percent prepared.

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Tropical Storm Alpha Forms in the Eastern Caribbean. Hurricane Watches Up For Florida [Re: ddawes27]
      #61956 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:03 AM

It is a very safe bet to say that the weather will be better further N

No matter what the specific landfall from Sarasota south to the Keys, the worst winds surge and rain will be on the S side of the circulation (and landfalling eye) And the faster the storm is moving the more the difference between the N and S side of the storm -- so for Wilma it will be good to try and let the eye pass to your S

So best moves are inland and N on the Fl peninsula

As an aside -- lookinf at GFDL with the accelerating storm through the weatern atlantic along the Gulf Stream category 2 winds are carried all the way to a Canadian maritime province landfall

Yabba Dabba Doo

Rdietch
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Movement [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61958 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:04 AM

Quote:

All the mets here in Tampa are stating that they believe that the point of landrfall will more likely to be further north (in Ft. Myers) than what the current forecast is showing. They are basing this opinion on the last 24 hours of modell runs from the GFS and the GFDL. I believe that I read earlier on that the 11pm forecast track was shifted a tad north.
In Polk County, we are now under a TS Wind Warning. I think this is because the cold front and Hurricane Wilma will be clashing with eatch other. Of course, it will be much worse on the beaches....I sincerely hope that those in the direct path of this storm will not see devastating effects.
Colleen

Sorry to tell you but i watched channel 13 and channel 8 and BOTH said and i quote delgatto on ch 13 i feel very good and confident about a naples landfall and channel 8 said Ft myers to Naples and your guy on 11 was ft myers so sorry to correct you but that was a wrong statement.

gavsie
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Seminole Fl
Re: Movement [Re: Rdietch]
      #61962 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Colleen

Sorry to tell you but i watched channel 13 and channel 8 and BOTH said and i quote delgatto on ch 13 i feel very good and confident about a naples landfall and channel 8 said Ft myers to Naples and your guy on 11 was ft myers so sorry to correct you but that was a wrong statement.

While I was not watching channel 13 I was watching channel 10 and 28 and both said it may take a more northerly track if the current direction continues. No one said we would be in for hurricane force winds but just a dicey couple days. Did it occur to you that they may be saying different things on different stations?

satellite steve
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Satellite Bch FL
Re: Front [Re: FreakedInFlorida]
      #61969 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:13 AM

Differences between Wilma and Frances/Jeanne for Fort Pierce area

1) Wilma will have to traverse the Florida peninsula diagonally to get to you and will be significantly weaker when it arrives than at landfall -- Forecasts now suggest Wilma's intensity at landfall to be Cat 2 and prob Cat 1 on Fl E Coast. So signif less sustained wind damage likely. However beware the unpredicatable tornados may crop up so mobile homes are still at increased risk

2) Virtually no storm surge risk - Tides may run high on N side of storm when winds wrap around

3) Rainfall will prob be less than Frances as Wilma will be moving along at >20mph and won't hang around to drop more rain. This usually means less power line damge as well -- Frances caused as much power outage as Jeanne despite being Cat 2 vs. Cat 3 because of slow speed

Yabba Dabba Doo

Tantalus

Re: Movement [Re: Colleen A.]
      #61972 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:23 AM

You just cannot be sanguine. We live in the Keys and went to bed with the best assurances of NHC et al, that Katrina was going to just zip right acros the mainland and into the GUlf and go its merry way. We were awakened at three a.m. by a god-awful ruckus, saying "Holy doo-doo (or words to that effect) what in blue blazes is that?". Turned on the 'puter and it wound up that Katrina had suddenly jogged south and was on our doorstep. Imagine our surpirse, if you will, when a tree fell on our roof and another was uprooted, taking out our front porch. One cannot blame the NHC or TWC or even Joe Bastardi (much as the temptation is there for the latter). We turned on the tube, expecting the latest alarmist report and discovered there was a tornado spotted 7 mi. SE of us moving to the northwest. Now any of you familiar with the topography of the Keys knows that basements are not an option, the cap rock being about all of six inches beneath your feet. So, we sat in our mobile home, huddled in terror just waiting for the end. The moral of the story is too-fold: The road to hell actually IS paved with good intentions as the NHC did (and ALWAYS does) its best; but, in the words of the immortal legend Yogi Berra," it ain't over 'til it's over" http://i.flhurricane.com/cyclone/images/icons/icon9.gif
icon9 This is me apologizing for the length of this post..

--------------------
Some you win, some you lose; some get rained out

Multi-Decadal Signal
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: BROWARD
Re: Movement [Re: Tantalus]
      #61983 - Sun Oct 23 2005 01:44 AM

A new forum was started by MikeC at 12:30. More than half of us have migrated there by this time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 102787

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center