F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)
danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Posts [Re: Clark]
      #76464 - Wed Aug 15 2007 05:34 PM

Not directed at anyone in particular.

Please use the PM option to send mesages to another user/ member. Posting directly to another user/ member could result in the post being sent to the graveyard.

The site is fairly busy right now and it take quite a bit of time to sort the posts from the messages. Thanks.

As of right now there are over 400 people viewing the site.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

GOM [Re: danielw]
      #76467 - Wed Aug 15 2007 05:42 PM

I've widened the sat shot at the top of the page to permit viewing of what appears to be a secondary LOW forming in the Eastern GOM. Not enough data to determine what level it is at right now.

Front/ trough moving into the Northern GOM appears to have initiated a vortice in the area due south of Appalachicola. Near 26.0N/ 86.5W-quick estimate.

May be diurnal in nature... but it's unusual to see any convection of this nature on the backside of a tropical system.

Just something else to look at for now...
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconusir.html

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
Re: GOM [Re: danielw]
      #76471 - Wed Aug 15 2007 05:55 PM Attachment (254 downloads)

Okay Daniel, you've got me confused. I did a screenshot of what you posted -- are you talking the smaller area at the top where I circled, or the larger area that I circled? Is this a feature the NWS/NHC is talking about?

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Edited by madmumbler (Wed Aug 15 2007 05:56 PM)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Re: GOM [Re: danielw]
      #76472 - Wed Aug 15 2007 05:56 PM

A met on S2K is posting the latest run of the GFS...at the 30hr mark it shows a low in the central Gulf. I wonder if it is this feature? What effect would/will this have on Dean as well as any weakness in the ridge? Although as of now this is in the E Gulf this feature at 30 hrs is W of this?

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: danielw]
      #76473 - Wed Aug 15 2007 05:56 PM

the rainy summer in texas is about to pay dividends for flooding concerns. erin should pile a good bit of misery on what has been a constant theme for texans. in spite of the suddenly impressive satellite appearance this morning the center remains disorganized and not very strong. oftentimes these western gulf systems do that right up to landfall, but quickly improve just before going in and on the way in. erin has another 12 hr or so unless the center jumps nw, so the forecast intensity should probably stay put. just a good thing it didn't develop a defined center yesterday morning... right now an intensifying hurricane would be coming closer instead.
dean is a little fellow, but looks healthy and ready to keep getting stronger. i'm really surprised that none of the caribbean island governments are issuing watches... it should be on them inside 48 hr. model consensus keeps dragging dean further west and faster. i keep looking at that ridge fracture that cuts off and backs west, that's supposed to not affect the storm... but am not convinced that it's totally right. think the consensus is too far left, and that the larger caribbean islands have more to worry about... but that's just an opinion. in any case the forecast intensity at a scary cat 4 looks right as rain, not the least bit surprising. my initial nerves were for florida in some capacity, but not a whole lot of the number-crunchers think so right now. the g4 will be out there eventually and toss in some better readings, and then we'll have a really good idea who has to deal with this sucker.
out behind dean the waves are following in a conga, with another well defined one just west of the cape verdes, and another good one coming off. seems to be enough separation from speedy dean for the trailer... i'd expect another one out of the current two followers (models resolving them funny and many seem to be merging them). keep that on the back burner while dean comes a-calling on the caribbean.
HF 2156z15august

hurricaneguy
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Greeneville, TN
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: HanKFranK]
      #76476 - Wed Aug 15 2007 06:23 PM

Nice informative post Hank! I know you said you think the NHC is to far to the left on the track now but doesn't this storm look like a Central America problem and not a United States from current models? Any body care to fill me in on why the GOM should still be worried? I thought this ridge will be dug in like a tick.

Edited by HanKFranK (Wed Aug 15 2007 06:42 PM)

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: hurricaneguy]
      #76478 - Wed Aug 15 2007 06:41 PM

Nice informative post Hank! I know you said you think the NHC is to far to the left on the track now but doesn't this storm look like a Central America problem and not a United States from current models? Any body care to fill me in on why the GOM should still be worried? I thought this ridge will be dug in like a tick.

Look at the satellite in teh Bahamas, a strong trough is digging a bit south and could be what is causing a more WNW movement on Dean. I agree with Hank on this one, I can't see it moving to Mexico.. I see this more like a Dennis/Ivan storm. Also we thought Ernesto last year was going into the GOM, but then while it was in the carribean, the storm veared NW and headed to the East Coast. In this explaining that ANYTHING can happen with Dean, it could still hit the East Coast, could be a category 4-5 in the GOM, or could actually miss the USA and hit Mexico, It's still out to sea right now.. lets see what happens.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: hurricaneguy]
      #76479 - Wed Aug 15 2007 06:45 PM

i think they've gone a little too far to the left. not a whole heck of a lot, though. think the models are splitting the upper trough too fast. pattern should amplify just a tad due to all the energy the tropics are adding to the equation. not guaranteed, but that's usually what happens.
don't think it's an east coast problem, anyway... but the straits of florida over to the gulf coast should mind what dean is doing.
HF 2245z15august

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: HanKFranK]
      #76483 - Wed Aug 15 2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

don't think it's an east coast problem, anyway... but the straits of florida over to the gulf coast should mind what dean is doing.

Unfortunately, I completely agree with you on this one, HF. But, beyond the straits of Florida and "gulf coast", that's a big area, which could include Mexico, all the way over the Ft. Myers to Key West. Do you think it's going to stay in the eastern GOM, or continue on a west course through to Texas like Erin is doing? Or is it too early to tell (obviously is it, but I'm looking for your opinion here).

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Loc: Israel
Deanie [Re: Hugh]
      #76484 - Wed Aug 15 2007 07:14 PM Attachment (326 downloads)

Looks like Dean is going to complete an eyewall in the relative near future.

See Attachment

Edited by CaneTrackerInSoFl (Wed Aug 15 2007 07:15 PM)

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: Hugh]
      #76485 - Wed Aug 15 2007 07:17 PM

Man, I must be looking at satellite pics way too much because it sure looks like that Erin is trying to reform a center further north again and it is headed right towards Port O Conner. I thought I saw this is the last few visibles. Please tell me I'm seeing things.

Shawn

byrdlh

Loc: Panama City, FL
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: allan]
      #76486 - Wed Aug 15 2007 07:31 PM

What is out there that could turn the storm North if it reaches the gulf? Bad time for a storm, school's starting next week. Kids already wishing for hurricane days. I know that the high over the SE right now is what is steering Erin, if it stays in place would the N gulf area be spared?

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Deanie [Re: CaneTrackerInSoFl]
      #76487 - Wed Aug 15 2007 07:36 PM

It would surprise me a great deal if Dean is not upgraded at 11pm, at the latest. The overall system has begun to grow tonight, the organization appears to be quite good, with banding in almost all directions, and the estimated pressure is down to 994, which is indicative of a Cat 1 hurricane.

It also appears to have resumed a basically due west motion early this evening, right on course.

byrdh: It's way too soon to tell what, if any, impact we'll have here along the coast (I'm a bit west of you, in Valparaiso). The local mets say we'll know more by the weekend, but I think it may be into next week before we really have a handle on the ultimate destination for Dean.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Wed Aug 15 2007 07:39 PM)

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Tropical Storm Erin Forms in Gulf of Mexico [Re: MikeC]
      #76491 - Wed Aug 15 2007 08:02 PM

All indications are that Erin has -nearly- opened up into an open wave this afternoon. The constant re-centering having exacted a cost on the formative cyclone's potential. All along Erin has been a somewhat generous call, but not outlandishly so. Simply, the mid level circulation has outrun and outperformed the low levels, at the cost of leaving the low levels in the wakes to play catch-up. Erin still has a chance to become something closer to a full-on tropical storm overnight tonight, taking advantage of the nocturnal max.

Once inland, it is very possible that Erin slows down, spins down, and produces overnight core rains. Most models are supportive of this scenario in at least some fashion.

A further concern for us in Texas, Dean may want to generally follow any left-over troffiness out here.

Please
To reiterate what others have already said, please put the one-liners and chat room posts in the appropriate forums, or private messages.

Kevin
Weather Master

Loc: EC Florida
Re: lone star abuse, caribbean trouble [Re: byrdlh]
      #76492 - Wed Aug 15 2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

What is out there that could turn the storm North if it reaches the gulf? Bad time for a storm, school's starting next week. Kids already wishing for hurricane days. I know that the high over the SE right now is what is steering Erin, if it stays in place would the N gulf area be spared?

That is exactly what we are having trouble seeing at this point. Those living along the Gulf Coast are just simply going to have to know that forecasters (and models alike) will not have a better grip on Dean and the accompanying synoptics until Saturday, at the earliest.

And the pattern that is in place with Erin could easily change by next week (and will).

danielwAdministrator

Re: Posts [Re: danielw]
      #76493 - Wed Aug 15 2007 08:07 PM

Second request. With a large number of posts being directed at another user/ member. It's taking quite a bit of time to sort through the posts and messages being sent on the Talkback thread.

Please use the PM-private message function/ option to send a message to another user/ member.

Further use of the Main thread for personal messages can result in the post being sent to the Graveyard.
With the season ramping up rapidly. You will find that it's easier to read the thread without the personal messages in it.

Thanks

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: The Rules.....again.. [Re: MikeC]
      #76494 - Wed Aug 15 2007 08:07 PM

The Main Page posting has been getting a bit messy and now that things have picked up some I think it would be a really good idea for a review of the posting rules. DanielW gave a heads up a while back regarding this. Posts are going to be moved or deleted if needed to keep the Main Page on track from this point forward. Pay close attention to the "one line" posts and any post that could be done with a PM to the poster. It is not that hard, really.

Flhurricane is fairly leniant with discussion, but please use common sense when posting. We try to be as fair as possible, but are also trying to keep the quality of the site relatively high. Quality content over quantity is the goal of this site.

Posting here implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright - or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Use of appropriate content is required. Abusive, profane and vulgar language will not be tolerated.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations of any kind. If you want a website linked, email us the link and we will add it.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.
- Public Personal attacks on other users will not be permitted.
- Excessive "Forum Drama" will result in a probation or ban.
- Wishcasting and alarmist posts are prohibited. Gut feeling posts without any explanation are not allowed on the news talkbacks, they will be moved to the forecast lounge. Alarmist posts will be graveyarded.
- Attempts to hack or perform denial of service attacks on the flhurricane server network will result in a firewall block for the entire flhurricane subnet and possible legal action.

Hints:

Before you post: Before posting, please ask yourself the following question: "Am I making a post which is informative, or interesting or adds to thoughtful discussion on any level? If is a reply, does it offer any significant advice or help contribute to the conversation in any fashion?" If you can answer "yes" to this, then please post. If you cannot, then refrain from posting.
Low Content Posts: Please do not make single line posts containing no content (ie, "Thanks!" "Great Post" "Cool!", "I agree", or something else completely void of meaning). Or general cheerleading, for example, if you think someone did a good job and have nothing else to add send them a PM, it works better for this. We appreciate the thanks, but otherwise posts like these just litter up the forums. Remember, CFHC is not a Chat Room - it is a Niche topic-oriented site, so please attempt to stay 'on topic' by placing your posts in the proper Forum. Main page articles are usually focused on one particular topic, the other forums are open to use as well and are moderated less strictly.
Politics: This is not a political board, if it involves a certain party or a certain particular individual or group that is politically based, your post will be graveyarded.
Deparment of Redundancy Department: If a poster continually makes the same post, or nearly the same post repeatedly on the same point, it will likely be put in the graveyard and the poster be put on timed poster probation.
Respect the Mods: The moderators are here to keep the forum function of the site safe, sane, and secure. Please do not harass or intentionally annoy the mods. If they ask you to do something, please do it. If you do not like the mods or the moderation here, then feel free to not post here. If you have an issue with a mod, email cfhc@flhurricane.com or pm an Administrator
Harass and Sass: If somebody is harassing you on the forums then discuss it with them over PM or email before contacting a mod about it. Someone who simply disagrees with you does not constitute harassment. Please do not post others' personal information (phone number, addresses, emails, etc.). Try to stay out of other peoples' personal lives as well. Keep in mind there's a good distinction between the Internet and real life.
Crazy Catchall: Please do not try to cleverly circumvent some rule listed here. These rules are general guidelines and are very flexible. We won't catch everything, and we don't try to be overly zealous in moderation either. It is impossible. Although we don't take ourselves or the site very seriously, the subject matter of hurricanes we do.
Posting Style: Proper spelling/grammar is a big plus. This helps people understand what you're trying to say. It doesn't have to be perfect, but at least make it look like you try. Obviously, English is not the native language of everyone and even native speakers are prone to mistakes. Simply try to spell properly. Do not use spelling short hand, or what is often referred to as "AOL Speak". The message board is not AIM or ICQ or IRC. You are not within the bounds of AOL's system. You are not in a race for post counts. You can and should take your sweet time when posting. Some examples of spelling short hand are "u" for "you", "4" for "for", "r" for "are", and others.
Do not intentionally butcher your words. We're not your English teacher, but we don't wish to be subjected to your abysmal spelling just because you think it's trendy, unique, cool, or whatever. It is not trendy. It is not unique. The only way it makes you stand out is as someone lacking a reasonable number of brain cells. Some examples of this spelling are "kewl", "luv", and any instance of replacing "s" with "z". Occasional usage is accepted, but don't construct your entire posts like this.
Image size and linking. Keep all inline post images smaller than 600 pixels horizontal and 500 pixels vertical. Make sure all images you display in your posts are hosted on your own webspace. We do not approve of bandwidth leeching and forcing other people to pay for your images. If it is not hosted by you or a image hosting service (ie imageshack or photobucket ), just use a hyperlink to the image instead.

Distruptive, or bad posts will get moved to the graveyard (as well as any direct responses to a graveyarded post) to serve as an example of what not to post. If a post of yours ends up in the Graveyard, don't worry, mistakes happen. It isn't intended to humilate, just serve as an example. Non main news forums are less strictly moderated.

Any violation of the Guidelines could result in messages being edited and/or removed and the violator being warned, put on timed posting probation, or banned.

- Please use the "Alert Mods to Bad Post" button () below each post to report any possible violators.
For other questions/suggestions and updates see the site update forum

If you do not agree with these rules, please do not register an account or post. The only people we want to register accounts are those who really want to be here and will respect the rules and other forum members. We reserve the right to ban anybody on the forums. If you disagree with the above, then you are more than welcome to create your own hurricane site, and we will link it.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Dean [Re: Hugh]
      #76495 - Wed Aug 15 2007 08:07 PM

I follow the old rule- models are good for extrapolating known data at varied points in time; however, with each update you get new variables that affect the equations- therefore, the solutions, therefore causing newer tracks. I will believe the modeled tracks when Dean is at least 3 days from impacting my area.

Until then- prepare and enjoy the genesis of what will be a good show and hope for the best - to all of us!

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Edited by rmbjoe1954 (Wed Aug 15 2007 08:17 PM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Dean [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #76501 - Wed Aug 15 2007 09:03 PM

Appears Erin is back down to Tropical Depression strength based on recon.

Summary:
20 kt winds
1004mb pressure; no central structure

Satellite imagery shows deep convection reforming over the storm now, so it may yet restrengthen before it reaches land.

http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/text/tropical/atlantic/URNT12.KNHC

URNT12 KNHC 160055
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 16/00:42:40Z
B. 26 deg 19 min N
095 deg 11 min W
C. NA mb NA m
D. 20 kt
E. 23 deg 004 nm
F. 083 deg 021 kt
G. 004 deg 003 nm
H. EXTRAP 1004 mb
I. 24 C/ 457 m
J. 26 C/ 456 m
K. 25 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 1345 / 1
O. 0.03 / 3 nm
P. AF305 0305A ERIN OB 10
MAX FL WIND 37 KT NE QUAD 20:09:40 Z
SLP EXTRAP FROM 1500 FT.
MAX FL WND OUTBOUND FROM CNTR 25KT @ 00:44:20Z

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: Dean [Re: Random Chaos]
      #76504 - Wed Aug 15 2007 09:42 PM

Very deep convection firing over the core of Erin now. TRMM microwave missed the core and the other recent satellite microwave overpasses aren't high enough res. It might still be TS strength at the 11pm update due to this convection flare up.

---

Dean is still wrapping convection nicely and appears to be filtering out the last of the dry air. Microwave shows the wrapping clearly:

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tcdat/tc07/AT...N-492W.59pc.jpg

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54361

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center