F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: MikeC]
      #76689 - Fri Aug 17 2007 05:54 PM

Yeah,

Looking at the Navy site, they had Dean crossing 65W before it got to 15N
Looking at the Visible:
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-vis.html
It sure looks like it is going to pass 15N before 64W !
I'm thinking the next run at 5pm will bring Dean OVER Jamaica.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Texas Cane Tracker
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tomball, TX
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #76691 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:04 PM

Can someone please give me a link to a site where the track/intensity models are updated frequently?

Thanks.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: Beach]
      #76692 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:04 PM

wow... watching AF recon... i like reading the SFMR - Peak (10s Avg.) SFC. Wind on the HDOB obs from 48-52... I could see that it had stronger winds on the last past through there... there heading almost due north now... I hope someone took some pics of the eye in the plane... be some nice shots to see.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: Texas Cane Tracker]
      #76694 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:08 PM

Right now from the 12Z runs..most have gone more NE by about 100 miles on average for the first 60hrs..after that..models spread on a bend back to the west near Jamaica or just north of there to a brush with Cuba and crossing the western part. I wouldnt get worried if I was in the Keys or the central or eastern gulf yet unless the next couple model runs continue a more northward track. Again as I always say...models change from run to run and anything more then 3 days out decreases the accuracy. With Dean anything more then 48hrs cause by then how will the upper low situate.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: scottsvb]
      #76696 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:11 PM

this eyewall replacement cycle will be very interesting. Concentric eyewalls have already been reported so it must be about to commence. When you get a really large eye after one of those it seems the pressure really starts to drop like a rock (like Katrina, and more recently Flossie in the Pacific)

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

craigm
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: Beach]
      #76697 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:20 PM

I was just going to post the same observation about Deam crossing 15N sooner than the OFCL track. Models will have to keep initializing further north.
Another thing I have been noticing, I hope this doesn't sound too unscientific, is that Hurricanes that I have watched in the past traveling around the periphery of a strong ridge, like this one, show more signs of impingment in the outflow -almost giving a flat top appearance to the storm. Where Dean appears to be exhausting outflow very symetrically.
Any Thoughts?

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Beach
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: craigm]
      #76699 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:24 PM

WELL SAID !
I'm just a guy who watches whirls on a Sat. feed, and I thought the same thing. I haven't really seen Dean hit the "roof" so to speak. I have seen other storms flatten out on top when it does barrel into a ridge.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: craigm]
      #76700 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:34 PM

I've also noticed a more northward component to the forward motion. Its been consistent for a couple of hours so its hard to look at it as 'wobble'. We will see if the next forecast point by the NHC verifies.

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

MissouriHurricane2008
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: WeatherNut]
      #76702 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:49 PM

new GFDL model shows dean right to the west of new orleans

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: MissouriHurricane2008]
      #76703 - Fri Aug 17 2007 06:51 PM

It's so weird to see these models so far apart right now. They are all over the place. I don't think you can take any of them seriously right now...at least once you get past day 3.

Shawn

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: SWFL
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: OUSHAWN]
      #76704 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:01 PM

Charley was projected to make landfall in Tampa until he "wobbled" and made landfall in Punta Gorda.

The bottom line is, EVEN when it's close to shore, it can still be unexpected exactly where a storm makes landfall. So everyone who is along the Gulf coast should be WATCHING this storm. It doesn't mean panic or board up. It means double-check all your provisions, make sure you can get your shutters/boards up, revisit your evacuation plan, make a hotel reservation inland, whatever you do. Make sure it's ready to go. And start up the generator and make sure it runs and you can start it. Your mechanic will NOT be able to get it running for you 24 hours before landfall!!!

Also, as someone else noted, go fill up your cars and don't let them get below half full. NOT saying to go fill up twenty gas cans. I'm saying stay smart and stay safe.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Edited by madmumbler (Fri Aug 17 2007 07:02 PM)

weather999
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: southwestern ontario, canada
Re: Major Hurricane Dean Moving Westward [Re: MikeC]
      #76705 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:12 PM

Is it just me, or is 961 mb a bit high for a mid cat 3? Perhaps I've just been softened down a bit in the past few years with extremely low pressure storms such as Wilma, Katrina, and Rita..

Im gonna say that Dean will reach borderline cat 5/perhaps 160 mph, if the track of the storm shifts a bit south, causing the centre to miss Jamaica.

Also, the GFDL model has Dean reaching 148kt/140kt intensity before predicted landfall west of New Orleans, let us hope that this will not be the case.

And a question: Do storms that have smaller hurricane-force wind areas tend to be stronger?

Edited by weather999 (Fri Aug 17 2007 07:20 PM)

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #76706 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:13 PM

That's a point the NHC always tries to make...the models can be seriously off after 3 days. Heck they've flipped all over the place with Dean from run to run...about the only thing the models seem certain on is Jamacia is in the crosshairs. ..because of questions in the ridge & the movement & effects of the ULL, everything after that is a crapshoot.
Because of the obvious vuneralabilty of La..both before & most importantly after Katrina...the latest GFDL is worrisome. Not to mention the effects of a landfalling major in this spot to the rest of the country.
Someone asked for links to models. On the main page are links to various model sites although I know earlier the FSU site was experiencing loading problems.
As an aside Dean is looking quite impressive & has proven to be an interesting & even nail biting storm to track.

LisaC
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: twizted sizter]
      #76708 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

That's a point the NHC always tries to make...the models can be seriously off after 3 days. Heck they've flipped all over the place with Dean from run to run...about the only thing the models seem certain on is Jamacia is in the crosshairs. ..because of questions in the ridge & the movement & effects of the ULL, everything after that is a crapshoot.
Because of the obvious vuneralabilty of La..both before & most importantly after Katrina...the latest GFDL is worrisome. Not to mention the effects of a landfalling major in this spot to the rest of the country.
Someone asked for links to models. On the main page are links to various model sites although I know earlier the FSU site was experiencing loading problems.
As an aside Dean is looking quite impressive & has proven to be an interesting & even nail biting storm to track.

Glad you made that point, because i often think whether they should get rid of the 5 day cone, as it seems to be pretty useless. I wonder if there is a any study as of the effectiveness of the five day cone compared to getting people ready and focused on the storm. As for Dean, just looked at the sat image, very impressive. I have close friends that live in Jamaica, I am getting nervous. Considering how the GFDL is acting, would not be surprised to see a good shift in the 5 or maybe 11 pm track or at least the 5 day cone.

Edited by LisaC (Fri Aug 17 2007 07:26 PM)

OUSHAWN
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Clear Lake,Tx
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: LisaC]
      #76709 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:28 PM

I wouldn't expect to see too much of a shift since the GFDL is the outliner in the group of models. So far it is the only model that has shifted that far to the right so wouldn't expect much right now.

Shawn

Texas Cane Tracker
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: LisaC]
      #76710 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:30 PM

If the center of Dean does indeed go over Jamacia, how disruptive will this be to the storm? I am not familiar with the terrain there. It would seem that if Dean remains a major hurricane if/when it hits Jamacia that the weakening would not be substantial since it would be back over water in a short period of time.

Thanks.

LisaC
Weather Watcher

Reged:
      #76711 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

If the center of Dean does indeed go over Jamacia, how disruptive will this be to the storm? I am not familiar with the terrain there. It would seem that if Dean remains a major hurricane if/when it hits Jamacia that the weakening would not be substantial since it would be back over water in a short period of time.

Thanks.

Jamaica is actually very hilly, famous for the Blue Mountains and its Blue Mountain coffee (yummmy)
I think right over Jamaica could have some effect, but not the kind you will see as Cuba and Hispanola. For the past couple of years Jamaica has dodged direct hits with storms going right above or right below it. Maybe their time has run out?

Edited by LisaC (Fri Aug 17 2007 07:34 PM)

charlottefl
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
      #76712 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:34 PM

Storm Winds Pressure
Category 3 111-130 964-945

Now keep in mind these are only guidlines as far as pressure is concerned. If the sea surface pressures are lower during a certian year or time period the winds can be higher with higher pressures. Charley is a perfect example. The pressures in Charley's core did not correlate perfectly with wind speed. So it is possible for a storm to be one category with the pressure range of another.

FlaRebel
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
      #76713 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:35 PM

He does appear that he will miss his next forecasted spot to the north. It will be an interesting next 48 hours for sure.

Texas Cane Tracker
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Dean Approaches Lesser Antilles [Re: FlaRebel]
      #76717 - Fri Aug 17 2007 07:47 PM

I know the NWS used to have a "Strike Probability Chart" for hurricanes. It would show numerical values expressed as probabilities for a hurricane passing within "x" nautical miles of a particular area. I do not see that on their site any more. Does anyone have any insight as to where I can find this information?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 42693

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center