F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Quiet, for Now, in Late August
      #77483 - Sat Aug 25 2007 08:31 AM

Additions - Sunday 11AM
Other areas noted this morning include a couple of small and marginally active tropical waves near 13N 35W and 10N 42W. Also a couple of active waves near 12N 76W and 21N 96.7W. The wave at 12N 76W, northwest of the Columbian shore has a small chance for some additional development over the next couple of days. The wave in the Bay of Campeche does have a weak circulation and it has been almost stationary for the past 6 hours - but it is also very close to the Mexican coast. Otherwise it remains uncommonly quiet in the basin - but thats a 'positive' at this time of year.
ED

Original Post
There are no disturbances ready to develop into something right now, so, thankfully, this is a quiet weekend and at least first part of the week coming up.

The only long shots are a wave around 48 west which is still too far south, and not really active enough to have a shot to develop anytime soon. That area has persisted for a while, however, but it has shear around it and the circulation is very weak.

Beyond that is a few model projections which may be hinting at something in the East Atlantic coming off Africa in 3 or 4 days time. If they are phantom waves or not, remains to be seen.

In short, looks like to be a quiet first part of the week coming up.

94L (East Atlantic Wave)) Event Related Links

float6latest.gif stormplotthumb_6.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2007&storm=6 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 94L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 94L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 94L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 94L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 94L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 94L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 94L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cieldumort

Reged: Mon
Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: MikeC]
      #77485 - Sat Aug 25 2007 12:29 PM

It's nice to see so much blue out there during late August.

One slightly warm core, very weak low - remnant of a frontal low - spinning about harmlessly near 37N 71W mentioned in this morning's TWO.. the feeble wave near 48 w, and a few weak trofs here or there.. that's pretty much it.

A few of the models, including some of the better ones, have suggested some features perking up by mid to late next week, perhaps most notably a stealthy feature a few runs turn up in the southern Caribbean, and one or two decent 850-925 vorts off Africa, with something down at the surface. Might be some stuff to watch in the Caribbean, SW GOM. It's August, so these are believable, if for no other reason than... it's late August.

Dean sputtered out over the mountains of Mexico, but helped propel a beneficial MCS into the southwest.

dem05
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: cieldumort]
      #77487 - Sat Aug 25 2007 01:51 PM

Agree... Not much to watch right now. The Florida Straits are interesting today though from a wave passage standpoint. Pressures pretty high there though (high 29's-30 inches in the Keys) and no significant development expected on my end...Just something to give me an excuse to be a weather watcher during the quiet time post Dean.

Gulf Loop: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/gmex/loop-vis.html

Miami NWS Long Range Radar (Key West Radar has sufferred a transmitter Failure and may be down until tomorrow): http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=AMX&product=N0Z&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

GlenJohnson
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Waldo Florida
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: dem05]
      #77489 - Sat Aug 25 2007 03:13 PM

Off-topic post deleted.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Sat Aug 25 2007 03:27 PM)

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
nothing doing [Re: GlenJohnson]
      #77493 - Sat Aug 25 2007 07:28 PM

something pretty out in the north atlantic--out southeast of newfoundland is a mostly occluded, rather strong low that is cut off from the westerlies. it's north of 40n and well away from support SSTs, but must have a decent cold pool aloft since it has a hybrid warm-core look. decent convective ring and eye type feature.. it's a fairly deep low. it's not a tropical entity, though.
wave passing the cv islands has the best chance of any recently. well short of the sure-shot dean was, but it isn't a moon shot either. none of the models like it that much. these essential features have already been addressed by other posters.
stuff in the western atlantic/gulf/carib is all kinda weak and disorganized. don't put much stock in the BOC thing, and the pattern won't do anything but push it in right off. anything in the sw carib will shortly be ashore as well. we haven't hit the meat of the season yet, not by far.
HF 2328z25august

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: nothing doing [Re: HanKFranK]
      #77498 - Sun Aug 26 2007 03:15 AM

Weak surface low spinning in the southwest GOM looks slightly better organized overnight, but it will be most helpful to see the first couple of daylight frames. While in its current state this feature would be of little concern just about anywhere else, but to those in Texas, even an unclassified but realistically something very nearly like a weak tropical depression, is unwelcome. Pressures are still not substantially low, and were actually a fair bit lower yesterday afternoon when a surface circulation was readily apparent, but convection has been increasing back about the approximate center during the late overnight.

Anyway, just about anywhere else in the ocean or along the coast I wouldn't find reason to bring up such a feature, unless it was already Invest tagged and the topic of general discussion. But, again, given its proximity to already water-logged Texas, it seems only appropriate to give it some mention in the main thread. (Apparently NHC has locked on to this item as well, and given it some spotlighting in the 10:30 PM 8/25 TWO. However, the development of a significant tropical cyclone is not expected).

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Loc: Florida
Re: nothing doing [Re: HanKFranK]
      #77502 - Sun Aug 26 2007 12:57 PM

Take a look at the pictures before and after the Eye wall of Dean past over Costa Maya. I was there last year on a cruise what a shame... Dave

http://stormcarib.com/reports/current/mexico.shtml

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged: Sat
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: GlenJohnson]
      #77504 - Sun Aug 26 2007 01:20 PM

The NAVY site NRL now has 93L up on their site. This is the one in the BOC that the NHC mentioned in their TWO that is suppose to move into Mexico. Still maybe something to watch.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Quiet ? [Re: Hurricane Fredrick 1979]
      #77506 - Sun Aug 26 2007 01:41 PM

Things may be 'quiet' in general. But there are currently three areas to watch.
1-GOM just south of New Orleans. Weak surface and upper levels Low moving west. Associated with a tropical wave.

2-SW GOM/ W Bay of Campeche. Near surface circulation just offshore the area where Hurricane Dean made landfall last week.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseastconus.html

3-Middle Caribbean circulation centered near 11.4N/ 76.0W. Vortice swirls can be seen in the latest visible 4 frame satellite loop.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/goeseasthurr.html

I have yet to check the areas east of 76 W.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/img/2007238_1715wv.jpg

Weak wave near 12N/ 55W

Large amplitude wave near 12N/ 31W.

ULL near 23N/ 58W.
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/wv-l.jpg

Notice the frontal boundary moving into the S US. Near an Austin, TX to Tupelo,MS line... dry air!

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 26 2007 01:51 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Quiet ? [Re: danielw]
      #77507 - Sun Aug 26 2007 01:56 PM

I don't see the surface low south of New Orleans, but it might just be that it's weak and undetectable by my eyes.
93L (The Bay of Campeche system) is intriguing, but will in all likelihood move ashore before developing.
The
The middle Caribbean circulation is very far to the south, but definately bears watching. I'd say just looking at it that it has the best chance ofthese three systems of developing, although I wouldn't put its chances any higher than 50/50 at this point, unless it were to move north in the NW Caribbean, in which case all bets are off considering what Dean did in that area.

Edit: Now I see the circulation south of New Orleans, but it does not look very tropical.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Sun Aug 26 2007 01:58 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Re: Quiet ? [Re: Hugh]
      #77508 - Sun Aug 26 2007 02:12 PM Attachment (247 downloads)

I didn't give the New Orleans Low much credit until it dumped an inch of rain here yesterday. It is nearly onshore and I'm with you on the development.

Vortice swirl can be seen here... black hole just west of the longitude line.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES15152007238BoaDiG.jpg ( or see attachment above)
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES154520072388BfZQq.jpg

Coordinates for the center of the sat shot are 339 and 339. Scroll down to enter the coordinates.

Edited by danielw (Sun Aug 26 2007 02:17 PM)

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
      #77509 - Sun Aug 26 2007 02:31 PM

upcoming 94L?
Perhaps the disturbed area in the Carribean is the area that the NOGAPS has been and still is trying to develop.. I give it alot of credit, it's done well but the storm looks a bit more north to me then what the NOGAPS has it, not that far south.. It's got a good circulation and if it keeps up, we will be talking about 2 invests, 93L and 94L. Things are gonna get active according to the GFS, after it's excellency on Dean, I believe it!

North Atlantic low
The low in the North Atlantic may be a hybrid low.. but they have a right not to call it a sub-tropical storm, it's not near land, it's barely affecting anyone and it would be a waste of a name.. though, I wouldn't be surprised if they called it subtropical in post analysis. SSTs are in the 70s and 60s and lets not forget how Vince in 2005 formed.. So it's a possibility but very low in this case. Looks great on Satellite!
GFS model already insists that this is at least subtropical in nature..
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/gfs/fcst/archive/07082612/13.html
UKMET is hinting at subtropical chararistics
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/ukm/fcst/archive/07082606/8.html
Same appears with the NOGAPS as the UKMET is showing
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/ukm/fcst/archive/07082606/8.html
Amazingly, the CMC is just calling it a cold core low lol
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/cyclonephase/cmc/fcst/archive/07082612/8.html

Interesting low!
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/natl/vis-l.jpg

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: allan]
      #77510 - Sun Aug 26 2007 04:05 PM

The lows in the Gulf will likely be competing with each other, in addition to being too close to land to develop. At least, that's my take on those. The Bay of Campeche system does look impressive on the visible loop, though.

Looking at the wide view of the Atlantic basin, it's certainly possible that 94L could come out of the Caribbean system, but I don't think development is less than a couple of days away, at the very least.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

danielwAdministrator

Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: Hugh]
      #77511 - Sun Aug 26 2007 10:02 PM

A bit off topic.

The remnants of Hurricane Dean have been visiting the Los Angeles, CA area today. WIth numerous Flood Watches and Warnings.

Remains of Dean's vortex can be seen in the WV imagery below. (may be time sensitive)
The elongated cyclonic circulation near the southern end of California.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: danielw]
      #77513 - Mon Aug 27 2007 01:23 AM

hmm... i think the quite time in the atlantic is about to change. Some of the long range globals now for the third day have hinted at a good set of tropical waves coming off of Africa. And after watching the sats over Africa, indeed the convection in the last few days is much stronger as the showers and storms make there way to the west/atlantic. We will see how the globals do, by Wed. into Thurs. we could have something in the far atlantic. I would also watch to see if the tropical wave between 30w-35w 12n-15n does anything, i think the good old CMC was trying to flare up a low with this in a few days. And last, in the Carb. i would keep my eye on that tropical wave, which has gotten mention in the last two TWO, seems like there was a good mid-upper lever spinn down there this afternoon. Don't see anything at the surface, yet... Pressures still kinda high. Wave is moving right along to the west at a good rate of speed. Seems like this might be a interesting week to watch in the tropics!

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #77514 - Mon Aug 27 2007 08:07 AM

It looks like the system in the Bay of Campeche went in on the coast of Mexico near where Dean did. This is an insane year for them. Comments about the left over convection in the gulf would be appreciated.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Loc:
      #77521 - Mon Aug 27 2007 11:33 AM

11:30 TWO is picking up the CV wave:

ANOTHER TROPICAL WAVE IS LOCATED OVER THE FAR EASTERN ATLANTIC ABOUT
800 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS. SLOW
DEVELOPMENT OF THIS SYSTEM IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF
DAYS AT IT MOVES WESTWARD AT 15 TO 20 MPH.

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

weatherguy08
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Miami, Fla.
Re: Quiet, for Now, in Late August [Re: Ed in Va]
      #77522 - Mon Aug 27 2007 12:44 PM

I don't give this wave a whole lot of confidence yet as only the CMC is developing. Remember that this model has been crying wolf all summer; however, maps from CIMSS show low wind shear and virtually no SAL in the area. Who knows, this wave may be worth watching in a day or so.

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
wave/else [Re: weatherguy08]
      #77523 - Mon Aug 27 2007 06:35 PM

the wave near 40w is secluded from the ITCZ and persistent with the convection. whatever turning is at the low levels is elongated and not well defined. it stands out but has only a little going for it for now... just like the TWO says, slow development if any. the parameters outlined by others are pretty much spot on, but the wave is being underwhelming at the moment.
some of the globals are spinning up a post-frontal low off the mid-atlantic. no real stock in that. some are also lowering the pressures near the ne gulf or off the georgia coast... this general area seems to be turning into a stash for frontal remains just lately and has had a reasonable amount of convective activity around. nothing insidious, though.
thing in the gulf improved much too slowly to get classified, but as it moved ashore was finally starting to develop. another 12 hr and it would probably have been at least a depression. but, that's all she wrote.
the caribbean thing has a similar sort of lot in life. it's not cranking up all that fast. given a couple of days it would be a tropical storm or something. it's going ashore in nicaragua before that.
nothing else of note. eastpac is quiet but starting to show signs of life. the season so far has shown a tendency to follow the pacific-then-atlantic development pattern, if not with great enthusiasm. most models are showing the eastpac popping a couple off.. given the time of year it's probably a good bet that the atlantic will follow in the not too distant future. it's hard for the atlantic to stay quiet more than a week this time of year.
HF 2235z27august

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Central Florida
Re: wave/else [Re: HanKFranK]
      #77525 - Tue Aug 28 2007 08:59 AM

94L issued for Central Atlantic system.

WeatherUnderground

NRL

Edited by stormchazer (Tue Aug 28 2007 09:08 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 17703

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center