F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2007 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Tropical Depression Ten making landfall near Fort Walton Beach [Re: pcola]
      #78813 - Fri Sep 21 2007 07:52 PM

Per the 7pm CDT Intermediate Advisory:
Tropical Storm warning has been discontinued at 7pm CDT.
At 7pm, Tropical Depression Ten was (officially) making landfall near Fort Walton Beach. FWB latitude/longitude: 30.43N 86.61W (per NWS).... TD Ten: 30.4N, 86.7W.

They still call it a NW motion at 9mph.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Edited by Hugh (Fri Sep 21 2007 08:01 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Trekman
Weather Watcher

Loc: Fort Walton Beach FL
Re: Onshore now? [Re: Hugh]
      #78814 - Fri Sep 21 2007 08:11 PM

Being in the Ocean City area of Ft Walton, I can say that it did indeed rain hard here

We have had nearly 2 inches of rain so far.

In addition...the pressure is going up now...according to my Weatherbug.

--------------------
Went though: Erin ('95), Opal ('95), Danny ('97), Georges ('98), Ivan ('04), Dennis ('05)

Emergency Administration and Management program at Northwest Florida State College

Edited by Trekman (Fri Sep 21 2007 08:21 PM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: WJHG-TV Live Stream [Re: wxman007]
      #78815 - Fri Sep 21 2007 08:40 PM Attachment (439 downloads)

well i was out on the west end of PCB,..... took some great pics/video as the low was passing by....It was a very unique site to see... clearly could see upper and lower part of the right side of the center of circulation.... Love ACCUwx on the phone with all the data... hell i got the Tor. warnings as they were coming out... before half the local wx crawls picked up on it!!

checking the pics now... see if i can post any!

Here's a shot looking WSW at 1549 from central PCB.

Also had a "Aircraft Fly by to the south of me.. heading WNW?..... trying to see if the pic comes out...**** was not a jet... looked like a C-130? roughly a few thousands feet above the surface

Wish i was on I-10 around 5PM

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Fri Sep 21 2007 08:47 PM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: WJHG-TV Live Stream [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #78816 - Fri Sep 21 2007 09:47 PM

so.. just checking up with the last few statements from NHC.... the recon data indicated that there were TS force winds to the east of the system.... but as recon left... the storms dissipated, therefore they held on the Upgrade... but in post analysis in the winter, they may go back and call it a TS if there is enough data where it came ashore to classifly it a TS???.... I know that where it came ashore there are ALOT of military WX sensors... there is a place called Okaloosa Island where Eglin Air Force base has some equipment/buildings for there range there on the island... right along HWY 98 and are right on the GOM.... i HAVE SEEN passing by that there is wx sensors on a few of the towers (radio towers).... question is where they working at the time and will the data be available to NOAA/NHC?

--------------------

Edited by Storm Hunter (Fri Sep 21 2007 09:49 PM)

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#78817 - Fri Sep 21 2007 09:52 PM

If Eglin's weather stations weren't working, I'll be surprised. There should be plenty of information to determine the intensity of this system at landfall, given where landfall was.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: WJHG-TV Live Stream [Re: Hugh]
      #78818 - Fri Sep 21 2007 10:43 PM

well... don't think i have ever seen this in a Tropical system....

per SPC storm reports

A PILOT REPORTED VIA THE FAA THAT A TORNADO CROSSED INTERSTATE 10 ABOUT 20 MILES WEST OF MARIANNA. (TAE) at 2210 3 miles West of CHIPLEY, WASHINGTON, FL.

First of... Give the person guts for flying in some strong winds.... second... please tell me you have a camera!

--------------------

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #78819 - Fri Sep 21 2007 10:48 PM

the wind around he center have really died down...i am about 10 miles south of where the center is currently located, and there is no wind...none..it has been calm for about an hour..i'm sure the winds are stronger in the bands, but this is a very weak system..the rain gauge here at Oriole Beach shows .2 inches today

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

#78820 - Fri Sep 21 2007 10:48 PM

Wow... Impressive.

By the way.. the final advisory on TD Ten has just been issued by the NHC. Advisories will continue to be issued by HPC beginning at 5am ET.

--------------------
Hugh

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: WJHG-TV Live Stream [Re: Hugh]
      #78821 - Fri Sep 21 2007 10:54 PM

here's a wx station that looks reliable to where the system came ashore...

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLSHALI1

srcoll down to look at text data... pressure 1003mb/29.65in as it passed? 1825z time frame... notice winds change.... run about 15-20 mph then down to 5 then back up... from the 180 from before

Destin City Hall had a high wind speed of 34.0mph... and a high sustained 1min wind of 20mph Lowest pressure 1004mb

--------------------

Edited by Storm Hunter (Fri Sep 21 2007 11:00 PM)

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Space Coast
      #78822 - Fri Sep 21 2007 11:11 PM Attachment (405 downloads)

My wife and I spent this evening at the Crab Shack on the waterfront in Fort Walton Beach. I took a quick snapshot around the time of landfall, just after the worst of the squalls passed us by. It's not the highest quality image, but then again I'm not the highest quality photographer.

Kal
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Space Coast
Re: WJHG-TV Live Stream [Re: Kal]
      #78823 - Fri Sep 21 2007 11:16 PM Attachment (368 downloads)

One last photo from Fort Walton Beach during landfall.

dem05
User

Loc: Port Charlotte, FL
Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #78824 - Fri Sep 21 2007 11:25 PM

Well, 93L beat my 0% and my 15% chance odds of becomming a depression. It was pretty lucky to become that, but after subtropical designation and tropical designation...it definately did not become a tropical storm and there will be no post storm analysis needed.

No "Jerry" Springer argument about that (trying to be somewhat humerous). The end result of the weather was the same all in all...Rain, some small winds, and definately some regretable tornados here and there so far. I hope for no more of those. Otherwise, there were a few gusts here and there across Florida that approached and/or surpassed tropical storm force. But nothing sustained to gain any merit for a TS designation. Not much different that a roll of the dice with an afternoon thunderstorm...and we've all had some excitement there at some point in time. As for those radio towers, they are all very high up. I am sure they will show higher winds, but nothing to support a tropical storm at 30 feet or less with respect to sustained winds. We will find out in the Mobile Weather Post Storm Report. But in particular...I know of the major tower on Okalossa Island off of Highway 98...I saw it after Hurricane Ivan. It is a very, very tall radio tower on the beach. It is a famous one from the WWII era, but I believe it is still in operation. If a weather station on it is above 30 feet, the data will be useful, but not representative of surface designations that give a system a name...In general, the system remained too difuse to earn that name and TD10will remain just that...a TD. Now, it is time for the Northern Gulf to take a look at the Carribean Sea. Something may pop in your direction from there...

Edited by dem05 (Fri Sep 21 2007 11:34 PM)

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: dem05]
      #78825 - Fri Sep 21 2007 11:57 PM

Yep.... i know the next area to the south has my attention... has for about 2-3 days.... WOW.. this squall coming through PCB right, i just got a 23 mph wind gust..

Nice photos from FWB.... from my view i was on the beach (central PCB).... i had a really nice view of the center as it passed to my south.... the sun was out and vis was AMAZING really good... it looked like a huge sphere... i watched it for about 4-5 hrs as it passed.. (facing south..it moved left to right for me)... looking to the top... i would assume roughly 40k... the anvil had a nice spread out, in a circular motion... you could see some nice cumulonimbus formation on the eastern side feeder band close to the center... below underneath the cirrus clouds...

--------------------

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: dem05]
      #78826 - Sat Sep 22 2007 12:03 AM

I respectfully dissagree, the storm brought floods and some minor damage to my area, I live on the East Coast of FL.. I believe this was at least a Subtropical Storm when it hit here.. also, this was interesting before it made landfall at Cape Canaveral, FL. Jesse Ferrel (Accuweather Meteorologist) points this out the day after the storm hit here.

"The most impressive buoy data out of this storm was really yesterday from SPGF1, east of Florida. Pressure fell to 29.78 while wind spiked to 44 mph, gusts to 48 mph -- Tropical Storm strength."

It deffinatly felt like a TS here in Palm Coast, but it did not have all it's characteristics or one, certainly did not look like one either.. That's why I'd say it was "Subtropical" in nature with 45 mph at landfall. We got the worst flooding Palm Coast has basically ever seen, very rare to.. I don't think we'll see flooding like that in a while, I could be wrong though.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #78827 - Sat Sep 22 2007 01:59 AM

Now that TD10 has moved out of our way...it's time to take a look at what's going on in the southern/southwestern GOM. This sytem is allowing for a lot of moisture to come into the state of Florida...so you Floridians' --- keep your eyes and ears tuned in!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Beach
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach/Banana River
Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: Colleen A.]
      #78828 - Sat Sep 22 2007 08:34 AM

I was looking at the closest bouy:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42056\

The lowest pressure in the past few hours was 29.85 with wind speed of 31 knots out of the SE.
Definetly want to watch this mess.
:?:

madmumbler
Storm Tracker

Loc: SWFL
Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: Colleen A.]
      #78829 - Sat Sep 22 2007 08:49 AM

I have to say that as long as this moisture stays just that -- moisture -- with little to no development, it's welcomed as a real drought-buster for us and the entire SE. We can take a few more of these "non-systems" over the next couple of months and maybe it will put us back where we belong rain-wise.

--------------------
Lesli in SWFL.
Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Gulf of Mexico System [Re: Beach]
      #78830 - Sat Sep 22 2007 10:29 AM

Looks like 94L is up on the navy site...looks to be our next topic of discussion

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 44183

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center