F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: Random Chaos]
      #80938 - Wed Jul 23 2008 08:44 AM

I modified the camera recordings to just show the images from today below:

South Padre Beach Cam
South Padre Island Surf Cam -- High Res
South Padre Island Bay Cam (Now Active)
South Padre Island Radisson Resort Beach Cam (Now Active)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JoshuaK
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: MikeC]
      #80939 - Wed Jul 23 2008 08:58 AM

NHC Advisory 12B, Issued at 8AM CDT, has maximum sustained winds increased to 95 mph, right on the threshold of becoming a Category 2 Hurricane. They predict some more strengthening before landfall, and it looks like Dolly will become a triple digit wind intensity storm before landfall, just a little bit stronger than what the Forecast Intensities have been calling for.

And those camera shots show just how nasty it already is on the Texas coastline with the center just offshore.

Brett Addison

Reged: Wed
Re: Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: MikeC]
      #80940 - Wed Jul 23 2008 08:59 AM

Looks like we are seeing a strong cat. 2 or possibly cat. 3 in the making. The way the pressure has been dropping and the formation of the eye wall I would not be surprised if they upgraded the storm to a cat.2 with 105 to 110 mph by the next update (11:00am). The storm also seems to be wobbling a little further to the north and slowing down which is very bad news for south Texas. I hope everyone in south Texas stays safe and out of harms way.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: Brett Addison]
      #80941 - Wed Jul 23 2008 09:07 AM

Quote:

Looks like we are seeing a strong cat. 2 or possibly cat. 3 in the making. The way the pressure has been dropping and the formation of the eye wall I would not be surprised if they upgraded the storm to a cat.2 with 105 to 110 mph by the next update (11:00am). The storm also seems to be wobbling a little further to the north and slowing down which is very bad news for south Texas. I hope everyone in south Texas stays safe and out of harms way.

Don't think there will be enough time to make 3, mid-strong 2 is very possible.

I do think many who stayed on South Padre will wish they hadn't.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
South Padre Island [Re: MikeC]
      #80942 - Wed Jul 23 2008 09:17 AM

Jim Cantore recently said that 35% of the Islands residents/ tourists had evacuated. Apparently the 70% that stayed behing forgot about last year's rapid spin up Storm.
Dolly is doing almost the same thing... Max poss wind speed from the pressure-wind relationship is 108 MPH.
I don't think she will reach 108 MPH, but I she wasn't expected to reach 95 MPH either.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: South Padre Island [Re: danielw]
      #80943 - Wed Jul 23 2008 09:28 AM

Latest pressure is down to 961mb, so it's definitely into Cat 2 territory, the cat 3 territory is very possible now if it slows down further.

I don't expect it, but this is reminding me of what occured in Charley before landfall (intensity, not track wise), except the storm is moving west and much slower.

edit:

Vortex message clarifies it, 964mb. Still an impressive drop in a short amount of time.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Re: Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: flanewscameraman]
      #80944 - Wed Jul 23 2008 09:28 AM

Dolly looks to be strengthening right up to landfall. Here on the upper Texas coast we are wishing for the best for our neighbors in
South Texas.

Beaumont, TX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
      #80945 - Wed Jul 23 2008 09:31 AM

I am not surprised Dolly spun up like this. I watched Humberto spin up really fast last year before he came ashore in our area.
The Gulf...if you look at the history...it can hold surprises.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: South Padre Island [Re: Beaumont, TX]
      #80946 - Wed Jul 23 2008 10:01 AM

It appears that the eyewall has broken on the north side, which means it won't strengthen too much more, and may spare (hopefully) some of the worst.

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: South Padre Island [Re: MikeC]
      #80947 - Wed Jul 23 2008 10:19 AM

there are small vorticies spinning around the eyewall which are more intense than the other areas of the eyewall. On a radar loop these might look like breaks in the eyewall but are definitely not. This information is per Accuweather (a.k.a. JB)

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

DennisS
Unregistered

Re: Category 2 Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: MikeC]
      #80948 - Wed Jul 23 2008 10:44 AM

Greetings...first time poster, not yet registered. Forgive the question, but does it look to anyone else like in the last 10 frames of the radar loop the eye has turned sharply north?

Thunderbird12
Meteorologist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Oklahoma
Re: South Padre Island [Re: WeatherNut]
      #80949 - Wed Jul 23 2008 10:45 AM

Radar definitely shows weak or non-existent convection in the northern half of the eyewall. In fact, there is a definite asymmetry in the intensity of convection in the southern half of the circulation compared to the northern half overall . Unless Dolly manages to correct this asymmetry prior to landfall, the intensity should not get out of control, though a continued slow increase is possible as long as it remains over water.

Dolly definitely has slowed and appears to be paralleling the coastline for the time being. That is bad news as far as wind and rain exposure goes. At this point, it would be best if Dolly resumed a more westward motion and got its landfall over with.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: South Padre Island [Re: Thunderbird12]
      #80951 - Wed Jul 23 2008 11:23 AM

TO the METs here. I'm trying to find a better WV image/ loop that will indicate whether the trough in the Tennessee Valley is picking up Dolly. Any opinions?

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
      #80952 - Wed Jul 23 2008 11:37 AM

This is a bad situation for Brownsville and extreme S TX....first the island barriers should get pounded for the next 6-12 hrs..even after it makes landfall due to the slow motion.....also exteme flooding due to slow movement everywhere. Widespread torandos over the next 2 days, loss of electricity. Please anyone being affected by Dolly...plz stay indoors for the next 24-30 hrs unless its a emergency.. the less on the roads..the better.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: South Padre Island [Re: scottsvb]
      #80953 - Wed Jul 23 2008 11:46 AM

Power is out to South Padre Island as of 10:15 AM CDT/11:15 EDT, so no more webcams there, unfortunately.

MichaelA
Weather Analyst

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pinellas Park, FL
Re: Category 2 Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: Unregistered User]
      #80954 - Wed Jul 23 2008 12:14 PM

Wobbles are common. Still looks like it is going NW at a very slow speed. This will have some very bad effects along the south Texas coastal areas.

--------------------
Michael

PWS

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Loc: Texas
Re: Category 2 Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: MichaelA]
      #80955 - Wed Jul 23 2008 12:24 PM

Dolly's going to tear up the barrier islands in the area. I hope the fact that Dolly's moving north of Brownsville will help keep the Rio Grande levee system intact.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Category 2 Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: ShanaTX]
      #80956 - Wed Jul 23 2008 01:02 PM

Looking at the water vapor loops and I don't see how Dolly gets very far inland as the models project.
Looks to me like high pressure coming down and she is going to sit there inland somewhere and rain herself out
which will stress a lot of areas and cause flooding in many places.

http://weather.unisys.com/satellite/sat_wv_east_loop-12.html

storms fired to the north of her when she wobbled north and high pressure is pushing down at her from the north and the west.. this is going to be a prolonged event to say the least.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Re: Category 2 Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: LoisCane]
      #80957 - Wed Jul 23 2008 01:41 PM

Fox news live video stream from S. Padre: (Well was from there until the feed was lost, now appears to be Galveston)

link here

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Category 2 Hurricane Dolly Approaches Brownsville [Re: MikeC]
      #80958 - Wed Jul 23 2008 02:27 PM

There are people on the beach? Is it the eye or a old feed? If its the eye then people ( kids )are crazy to be running around the beach! + all the traffic there.. I would think this was yesterday?

Edited by scottsvb (Wed Jul 23 2008 02:27 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 22834

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center