F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: scottsvb]
      #81801 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

I feel SE florida especially Broward County north shouldn't get much more than rain squalls coming up from the SE. Dade county though might get some tropical storm force winds..mainly south of Miami and over the glades.

Maybe, except that if she keeps pushing east and crosses the state, Volusia/Brevard/Indian River counties stand to get beat up some due to being on the "bad side"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #81802 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:39 PM

In looking at the latest loops, it seems Fay is unable to bundle the energy in one place and consolidate. It looks very scattered which is the way it has looked for the majority of its life cycle. I dont see it doing much prior to crossing Cuba...it is just not very organized.

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: engicedave]
      #81803 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:39 PM

Well yeah if the center comes inland near Ft Myers and north...the glades and north of Jupiter inlet will get sustained T.S force winds. I feel though from there south to Dade county will probably get only Squalls with wind gust approaching T.S force.

StrmTrckrMiami
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Manchester, NH
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: WeatherNut]
      #81804 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

In looking at the latest loops, it seems Fay is unable to bundle the energy in one place and consolidate. It looks very scattered which is the way it has looked for the majority of its life cycle. I dont see it doing much prior to crossing Cuba...it is just not very organized.

Can I have the link to these loops please?

--------------------

Tracking Storms Since 2004
Miami, Cocoa, Fort Myers and Jacksonville
Currently Reside in New England

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Atlanta, GA
      #81805 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:46 PM

I do have to say scottsvb you have had the best handle on this storm of anyone else posting thus far, so I am giving your posts a definite second look. Hopefully this will end up being a big rain event as it moves up to our neck of the woods in N. GA. We desperately need the rain here to fill up all the lakes that are at record low levels

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: MikeC]
      #81806 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:47 PM

[image]http://proa.accuweather.com/adcbin/professional/models_grads.asp?mod=gefs&cap=GFS%20Normalized%20Spread%20MSLP%20[mb]&gs=gefsstat_prmsl&hr=324&map=atlantic&gv0=E&uid=1218991468140[/image]

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: WeatherNut]
      #81807 - Sun Aug 17 2008 04:48 PM

Thanks...I went to school for Meteorology awhile back so it helps..lol. Yeah it be great if this storm brings alot of rain to N Georgia.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #81808 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:00 PM

This is first post this season. Pay attention to the storm from here on out to see how it is effected by Cuba. The stronger it comes away the more likely it will grow to a serious storm. Rain in Central Florida has been consistent this summer so we don't have a lot of wiggle room for flooding.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

EMS
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #81811 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:18 PM

To my untrained eye, it looks like a hint of an eye forming on the visible satellite, just to the west of the most recent blow up in convection.

Thoughts?

TucoTheCat

Reged:
      #81812 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:20 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site -- lots of great info here....
Was wondering if anyone had a bead on Orlando International Airport?? I'm supposed to land there at 9am on Tuesday.... I'm thinking it doesn't look promising. Any ideas??
Thanks!!

Hugh
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Okaloosa County, Florida
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: EMS]
      #81813 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

To my untrained eye, it looks like a hint of an eye forming on the visible satellite, just to the west of the most recent blow up in convection.
Thoughts?

That's dry air.
There's no convection to speak on to the west of it, which if it were an eye, there would be lots of.

I just looked at the GOM water wapor loop and I'm going to have to change my call on this thing.... I think the forecast may be too far north now... although if the front backs up it could make it to Tampa.

--------------------
Hugh

Eloise (1975) - Elena and several other near misses (1985) - Erin & Opal (1995) - Ivan (2004)

engicedave
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc:
      #81814 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Well yeah if the center comes inland near Ft Myers and north...the glades and north of Jupiter inlet will get sustained T.S force winds. I feel though from there south to Dade county will probably get only Squalls with wind gust approaching T.S force.

I agree
Dade/Brow/PB are probably the most clear of bad stuff
(barring any unforeseen circumstance)

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: TucoTheCat]
      #81816 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:25 PM

Reference to airport closings.

No one, not even the airports can tell you this far out when and if airports will shut down. There are conditions under which airports do cease operations but I can't recall the guidelines.
At the last advisory, Orlando will be expecting sustained tropical storm strength winds tuesday afternoon.

Everyone needs to be reminded that these storms and their paths are not written in stone and the situation remains fluid.
Keep advised on the latest advisories, be prepared with your emergency essentials and make plans accordingly.
Fay is not a huge storm but still needs to be taken seriously.

B_from_NC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Raleigh, NC
Re: Fay Quickly Recovering [Re: EMS]
      #81817 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:30 PM

Not an eye but recent visible loops show a large burst of convection to the north and west side of the storm which is starting to wrap around the LLCoC.

Visible Loop

Its extremely close to the coast however so any development may be impeded. I do have to say as far as the general trend of this system, the FL. peninsula so far has been able to breathe a bit easier with all of the land interaction, and most recently the interference with the ULL to the west. Again its a wait and see as to where it emerges from Cuba and how fast the pull will be to the NE before we get a better line on her potential landfall. Unfortunately it will already be very close to home for some and the preparation time will be slightly shorter, so everyone still needs to keep a very watchful eye.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
latest fay behavior [Re: TucoTheCat]
      #81820 - Sun Aug 17 2008 05:54 PM

okay, the center obviously is doing something different. it has spent the last couple of days encased in that large anticyclone aloft, with intense convection clinging to the southern flanks of the circulation. right now it has a small core flareup encircling the eastern side of the vortex, which is swinging westward, perhaps orbiting or interacting with a low-level perturbation running southward to around jamaica. it's not directly under the anticyclone anymore, a little closer to the retreating upper trough to the west. this is resulting in a southerly but still fairly divergent flow aloft, and seems to be supporting the surface center. haven't looked carefully at the other rotation you guys are spotting on radar.. may just be eddies at diffrent hgt levels associated with the detached convective flareups.
the center has sprinted westward, and as scott pointed out the guidance is implying just a bit more ridging to give it a last nudge before recurvature. when the system turns north it will probably be moving slow enough and in a fair enough environment to start deepening/restructuring all the goofy peripheral features which have prevented a more robust inner core from developing. think it will be a mid/high level tropical storm and cross western cuba the better part of monday am, and probably be a hurricane around monday late afternoon near the lower keys, maybe dry tortugas. if this thing swings up the coast far enough to clear the tampa bay area before landfall, it might not come in until late tuesday, and be a substantial hurricane by that time... especially if it deepens with a more compact structure. if the pressure starts falling 2-3mb/hr when it still has more than 12 hr to landfall, then it is going to rock some worlds.
we're inside 72 hours for all the fun and games on the gulf side (still not confident enough to call atlantic side effects if any)... but this is still a very hard system to call in terms of exact location/intensity. it is going to hit the coast at a moderately to highly oblique angle unless it goes in waaay to the north, i.e. the big bend or further west. it's pretty clear now, the further to the left the track stays, the higher it hits, the harder it hits. if you guys down in fort myers take a direct hit, it will be barely a hurricane if that... if it goes west of clearwater or spring hill it'll probably have a good bit more to it. just shift the current offical track left 30-50 miles and it's a whole different fay on the way.
you guys on the florida west coast are a lucky bunch, the bad ones have left you alone for a long time. fay has the potential (though slim at this point) to make up for that, but it will have to start marching to a different beat than the one it has kept thus far.
HF 1754z17august

dolfinatic
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: St. Petersburg, Fl
Re: latest fay behavior [Re: HanKFranK]
      #81822 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:01 PM

Looks like the 1200Z models are shifting back west again. Curious to see what that does to track at 5:00 PM. The models dont seem to have a good grasp on the enviroment ahead of Fay. Still think we are at least 18 to 24 hours before we have a better grasp on Fay.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: latest fay behavior [Re: HanKFranK]
      #81823 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:01 PM

My forecast is pretty much the same as Hanks... though right now I'm saying Port Charlotte- Cedar Key... I can't narrow it down cause it will be moving S-N or SSW-NNE.. and I want to wait till monday morning (seeing where it crosses Cuba and when it makes its turn) to narrow it down to under 80miles.

Tampa always misses these hurricanes...Charley went south...Francis,Jeanne was a TS by time it got to Tampa and Tampa hasnt been hit directly in 70 years? Of course it can happen, but until it does, I don't expect it to. I think Cleveland will win a championship before that happens.lol. well maybe not.

I'll make my offical forecast tomorrow afternoon.

scottsvb

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #81824 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:14 PM

everything is wishcasting at this point.

a lot of land interaction ahead - Cuba and SW FL.
the acute angle of approach to SW FL throws a massive monkey wrench in the works.
picking landfall points really only confuses the issue for many "watchers" of this website....
and possibly puts others in harms way if they don't pay attention.

The Cone, not the Line.

--------------------
Matthew '16, Hermine '16, Colin '16, Bonnie '10, Fay '08, Wilma, '05, Katrina '05, Jeanne '04, Frances '04, Charley '04 in FTM (drove behind it), Bertha '96, Bob '91, The Blizzard of '78 in NH

Robert
Weather Analyst

Reged:
Loc: Southeast, FL
      #81826 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:37 PM

anyone think about the BAMM? its got this headed west late in the forcast. if the storm stalls or waits around it could catch the ridge instead of the trough. BAMM has done good so far with the weak fay if she stays weak i will consider this option tommorow as a stronger possibility.

vineyardsaker
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Re: Fay Continued, Hurricane Watches Extended Northward [Re: TucoTheCat]
      #81830 - Sun Aug 17 2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site -- lots of great info here....
Was wondering if anyone had a bead on Orlando International Airport?? I'm supposed to land there at 9am on Tuesday.... I'm thinking it doesn't look promising. Any ideas??
Thanks!!

Important disclaimer first: I am a total weather ignoramus so don't place any confidence in anything I say here and wait for those who actually do know what they are talking about (many of them here) to give you a more informed answer.

This being said, look at the projected path: looks like a not a fast moving system which will only make landfall in SW Florida on Tuesday morning. Orlando will have rain for sure, but not much more so you are probably going to be ok as long as your flight lands on time and not too much later.

My 2cts. HTH!

VS

--------------------
Charley(eyewall), Ivan, Jeanne, Dennis, Wilma, Irma, Ian (eyewall), Nicole

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 74734

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center