F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: wxman007]
      #82404 - Tue Aug 19 2008 09:40 PM

Thanks for the tip... Curious, is there an HWRF model link out there? What are your thoughts about this one; reliability?

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ricky

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm City, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: GoBigSurf]
      #82405 - Tue Aug 19 2008 09:45 PM

It looks like the last couple of radar frames it has started back to the NE.

sprghill
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lake County, FL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #82407 - Tue Aug 19 2008 09:47 PM

How good are the chances that Fay comming back to the west coast and hitting the tampa northward to citrus

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #82408 - Tue Aug 19 2008 09:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the tip... Curious, is there an HWRF model link out there? What are your thoughts about this one; reliability?

You can find HWRF plots on most all of the spaghetti plot pages.

Let's just say NHC has a not more confidence in the HWRF than I do.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

gulf coaster

Reged: Tue
Loc: Panama City Beach, Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: wxman007]
      #82409 - Tue Aug 19 2008 10:03 PM

How can I best visualize the weather feature that is going to cause Fay to turn west? What should I be looking for?

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
      #82410 - Tue Aug 19 2008 10:05 PM Attachment (230 downloads)

Well... well.. well... Fay is about 20 Miles from the Atlantic... and to me she's not going to make it to the Cape/MLB.. exit... instead she should exit somewhere north near Sebastian, Fl. to palm bay... Which should put her closer to the gulf stream off the SE Florida coast which is warmer than what would be north of the Cape. WHAT has Impressed me is her inner core sturcture has held for over 16 hrs now.. VERY IMPRESSIVE given the dry air around her and the weak shear she had to over come. Interesting to note in the 00Z runs that after the turn to the left.. some of the models that go into GA, actually take another left towards the GOM from southern AL/GA... as a weak low. Another stronger High builds in over the great lake region late this weekend, into next week.

It almost looks like in the last half hr.. her east side of the coc is opening up... dry air? in about an hr.. i tracked her on radar to travel about 7 miles. which i calculate her to exit the coast in 4-6 hrs from now.. it the current heading speed holds.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Aug 19 2008 10:15 PM)

Jumaduke
Verified CFHC User

Loc: North Florida
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: MikeC]
      #82415 - Tue Aug 19 2008 10:49 PM

My thoughts: watching the west side dry up now and contract, if Fay continues EnE - south of Melbourne - she should hit gulf stream sooner than predicted and maybe 30 south of forecast point. Question is: If she runs the coast will the landmass to the west continue the breakdown of left side of her. She may go back to the view we had down by the Keys when she was NOT symmetrical.

WHat do you think?

PS... NW of Gainesville, wondering why these models keep finding a way to mess with us :-)

--------------------
Go Gators!

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: Jumaduke]
      #82416 - Tue Aug 19 2008 10:53 PM

Heya Everyone,

I've noticed something on radar the last couple of hours that I thought worth mentioning and pointing out: It seems that the inner eyewall is decaying and an outer eyewall becoming dominant. If this is the case, and not simply an artifact of the radar, then that could help maintain Fay's strength as at least part of the eye would be over water.

Of course if that is the case then the eye would be very large, and that would slow any recovery by the storm. Any thoughts?

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
fay heading seaward [Re: Bloodstar]
      #82418 - Tue Aug 19 2008 11:29 PM

took a break from the radar for a few hours... last i looked it was trudging over northern okeechobee county. expected to see it near yeehaw junction at 11, but there it is in indian river county... edging northeastward and nearing the coastline around sebastian inlet. presentation on radar and satellite has decayed markedly in the last 2-3 hrs, with a noticeable dry slot and a considerable deterioration of the inner eyewall. am willing to bet that will be short lived.. that tomorrow morning the inner eyewall convection will recover as the core moves over water with considerable heat content.
willing to put my future philosophy on the storm out at this time. believe that fay is going to rebuild an inner core tomorrow and deepen rapidly at some point going into thursday. think the NHC track is fairly sound.. would edge my target window more from jacksonville to brunswick (bullseye at the ga/fl border, st marys ga) with a more gradual left turn... think the storm will clear the coastline enough to do some substantial deepening and be a significant hurricane by thursday pm. expect it to remain compact enough that wind damage will be in a relatively narrow swath, say 30-50 miles dia. i don't think the kind of deepening shown on the GFDL and hwrf are impossible given the compact nature of the storm. however, counting on odds that eyewall replacement or tepid waters at the immediate coast will have it weakening a tad at landfall. think the NHC official is at the bottom of the range i'd expect for landfall.. best bet winds 80-90kt. minor chance of major hurricane winds, but highly uncertain. expect the storm to be near or over the florida panhandle by sunday.
keep in mind that's just my best guess. if the storm hugs the coastline it may never get above tropical storm status. if it turns left as hard as the global consensus it'll probably be a force to be reckoned with in the gulf. if it swings a wider arc, georgia beware.
HF 0329z20august

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
      #82419 - Tue Aug 19 2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Let's just say NHC has a not more confidence in the HWRF than I do.

Jason,

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. The 12Z HWRF is almost identical to what Fay is actually doing now, moving ENE. This is contrary to what the NHC said Fay would do. Or am I missing something?

Bill

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: HanKFranK]
      #82420 - Tue Aug 19 2008 11:56 PM

well looks like fay will be back over water in about 2-3hrs... she's about 15 miles from where i think she will exit.. coc is about to cross the I-95 area, just SW of Sebastian, Fl area. I think it may take some time for the inner core to build back up.. i do however see storms of the gulf stream building up in feeder bands. So its not out of the question there is good chance she will build back up... I think it will take sometime however. 12-24hrs plus.

To show the coc in 3D i made this radar cut about 10:45pm CDT 3D of Fay crossing I-95 with a collapse on the eastern side of coc. *note* in the center of the image... its not an eye... Fay doesn't have one no more.. its a Center of Circulation with an open/dry area on the east side.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Tue Aug 19 2008 11:58 PM)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: HanKFranK]
      #82421 - Tue Aug 19 2008 11:58 PM

Latest SHIPS has Fay turning westward between 30N and 32N toward 87.7 at 120 hours... or the 5 day mark.
SHIPS Intensity stays between her present 50 kts and as high as 65kts at the 60 hour mark. Or Friday morning at sunrise. Or what is normally sunrise without Fay hanging around.

Keep in mind this model and most of the other models are changing quite a bit every 6 hours.

Please check your local NWS office for Statements, Watches and Warnings.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #82422 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:00 AM

Intriguing.

The 00Z GFS brings Fay back on shore about 24 hrs from now, close to daytona beach, then across the state exiting into the Gulf appx north of Tarpon Springs

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/fpc.shtml

wxman007
Meteorologist

Re: Hurricane Watches up for North Florida, Georgia as Tropical Storm Fay Moves North Northeast [Re: BillD]
      #82423 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Jason,

I'm not sure what you mean by this statement. The 12Z HWRF is almost identical to what Fay is actually doing now, moving ENE. This is contrary to what the NHC said Fay would do. Or am I missing something?

Bill

I am speaking of the HWRF in general, not of it's current performance...I am not very impressed with the choice of model physics they used.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Big Red Machine
Storm Tracker

Loc: Polk City, FL
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #82424 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:06 AM

Quote:

Intriguing.

The 00Z GFS brings Fay back on shore about 24 hrs from now, close to daytona beach, then across the state exiting into the Gulf appx north of Tarpon Springs

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/00/fpc.shtml

That would be quite a prodigious amount of accumulated rain in Central FL at the end of things...

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/nam/00/images/nam_p60_066l.gif

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: Big Red Machine]
      #82426 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:26 AM

Pretty much over water now. Now it's time to see what she does, really not in model theory. Though the models and NHC have been good with this most difficult storm.

Wanted to comment that the role of feeder bands has never been so highlighted as with this storm.
That pic up in the corner with the one long red feeder band far from the center keeps pumping back warm, gulfstream tropical moisture to a sytem that was landlocked.

possibly because fay was always strongest as a mid level storm when setting up her structure was always admirable if her center was wanting

that structure didn't fail her and when she hit land she sort of morphed back into a tightly wound system both levels connecting but enhancing each other.

will be very interesting to see what happens but the structure of a storm with good feeder bands is illustrated here with Fay

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

wxman007
Meteorologist

Re: fay heading seaward [Re: LoisCane]
      #82428 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:33 AM

Just for kicks...

The 00Z GFS takes fay across the state, across Apalachee Bay, lashes the Panhandle, parks it off of the mouth of the MS River, then moves it BACK east for a 4th landfall near FWB and headed it NE near Dothan, AL.

Pass the Tylenol.

--------------------
Jason Kelley

allan
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, Florida
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: wxman007]
      #82429 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:43 AM

What a difference a day can make. I wake up this morning and Fay is forecast to come here as a TD, I come home from work and see that I'm under a Hurricane Watch. Here in Flagler County we BARELY get a bullseye hit from a Hurricane, they seem to pass to our south. However, with Fay, I'm getting some gas for my generator tomorrow.

--------------------
Allan Reed - 18,9,5

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: fay heading seaward [Re: wxman007]
      #82430 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:43 AM

Well, isn't that a cute little scenario! How much faith do you have in that model? I won't even ask what the implications would be for the west coast of Florida with that scenario.
I am getting FAY-tigued with this storm. It is a bizarre storm to say the least, but I'm ready to give her a free, one way plane ticket to Europe.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

wxman007
Meteorologist

Re: fay heading seaward [Re: Colleen A.]
      #82431 - Wed Aug 20 2008 12:47 AM

I have a lot of faith in the model, but I don't have a lot of faith in that particular solution...but stranger things have happened...I don't remember them, but I am sure they have....LOL

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 26783

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center