F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest
      #83074 - Wed Aug 27 2008 08:05 AM

Gustav has weakened since it has slowly crossed Haiti, and the land interaction along with moderate wind shear should keep it a tropical storm for a good part of today, however, the storm is moving generally northwestward. It still seems westward enough to keep it south of Cuba for most of the time in the shorter term track.

A Hurricane Warning remains for the eastern Cuban provinces, and a Hurricane Watch for the remainder of Cuba as well as the Caymans. Tropical Storm Warnings and a Hurricane Watch are up for Jamaica as well.

As Gustav moves westward south of Cuba, it will encounter very favorable water temperatures, so it has a chance to strengthen into a hurricane again, and possibly a strong hurricane. It may move a bit further westward and go through the Yucatan channel or clip the very western edge of Cuba, after this begins much more speculation. How much it strengthens while in the Caribbean depends on how much land interaction it has with Cuba (if it stays roughtly 50-60 miles or more off the coast, then it will likely strengthen more).

There remains the potential is there for Gustav to become a major hurricane when and if it gets into the Gulf of Mexico.

The track beyond that is controlled by a low pressure trough around the Midwest, which could force the storm east or west of the current NHC forecast track. The more likely scenario of the two (right now) is the western one. This is forecast lounge territory though at this point. I suspect Gulf forecasts won't be all that reliable until Saturday.

Things could change, especially if Gustav moves more slowly than expected. so much of the Gulf will need to keep an eye on Gustav.

The wave known as 95L is also still worth tracking over the next few days, as it may get close to the US before turning more north.

Flhurricane Long Term Recording of Cuban radar mosaic
StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

Gustav Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Gustav
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Gustav

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Gustav (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Gustav (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Gustav

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Gustav
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Gustav -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Caribbean Islands Weather Reports

Wave 95L Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 95L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 95L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 95L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 95L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 95L

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 95L
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on 95L -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View
2:00AM Update

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: MikeC]
      #83088 - Wed Aug 27 2008 10:32 AM

This might belong in a different forum

Is it true that when a storm passes through an area of water that was previously traversed by another storm within the last week the SST's will be some what lower? I know it won't matter with this storm, but just a general question. I heard about that some where on here last year or another site.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: damejune2]
      #83089 - Wed Aug 27 2008 10:38 AM

Yes that is true to a extent, it just matters how much updwelling the previous storm did. Some may say the rainfall, but I never agree to that cause its a deep body of water and you would need 5 ft of rainfall to have a slight temp drop of 1-2 dg. Now if you get a inch of rain in your swimming pool, thats different, you will notice a few deg drop from the previous day.

Ed in Va
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc:
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: scottsvb]
      #83091 - Wed Aug 27 2008 10:42 AM

11:00 a little shift to the right in track...now dead on NO, but a long ways to go. Discussion says equal chance of 1, 2, or 3.
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200807_5day.html#a_topad

--------------------
Survived Carol and Edna '54 in Maine. Guess this kind of dates me!

Myles
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: SW FL
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: scottsvb]
      #83119 - Wed Aug 27 2008 02:47 PM

I was under the impression it was widely accepted that the winds churning the waters caused the upwelling and lowering of SSTs? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

As for Gustav - last few visible frames show a decent blow up of convection near the CoC, which appears to be to the north(and maybe still a bit on land) of the western part of the southern Haitian peninsula. The continued motion to the W or WNW seems likely. And although the NHC noted some northerly shear at 11AM EST, I don't see much, if any, at this time.

EDIT: If javlin's recon post is the latest one then they put it almost exactly where I thought it was.

Edited by Ed Dunham (Wed Aug 27 2008 04:31 PM)

Raymond
Weather Guru

Loc: Germany
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: Myles]
      #83122 - Wed Aug 27 2008 02:57 PM

No, the center is already well to the north of the peninsula. Look at the center fixes of recon. And if I compare the last two center fixes its still a slow WNW-NW-movement!

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: Raymond]
      #83126 - Wed Aug 27 2008 03:09 PM

Latest recon fix almost says stationery for the most part really .I would guess the 11am by the NHC then was an estimate.

URNT12 KNHC 271829
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL072008
A. 27/18:06:10Z
B. 18 deg 54 min N
073 deg 58 min W
C. 850 mb 1432 m
D. 45 kt
E. 305 deg 4 nm
F. 140 deg 031 kt
G. 032 deg 088 nm
H. 1000 mb
I. 16 C/ 1524 m
J. 19 C/ 1526 m
K. 13 C/ NA
L. OPEN W
M. C16
N. 12345/8
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF302 0507A GUSTAV OB 04
MAX FL WIND 31 KT NE QUAD 17:40:40 Z
RADAR INDICATED SPIRAL BAND PATTERN

also has her listed as an open wave.Recieved emailed me for me to make the edit.I see OPEN W thinking=open wave maybe as Hugh mentioned open west(I think he might be right).maybe someone can clarify

Edit: OPEN W means that they found an eyewall that was open on the western side of the feature. --Clark

Edited by Clark (Wed Aug 27 2008 05:27 PM)

WeatherNut
Weather Master

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: javlin]
      #83130 - Wed Aug 27 2008 04:36 PM

It would be open west I believe. There is still a low level circulation visible on satellite. It is, however, seriously lacking on the west side outflow. I think it is still having some problems with WS.
Also, its still classified in the 5pm

--------------------
Born into Cleo (64)...been stuck on em ever since

Edited by WeatherNut (Wed Aug 27 2008 04:43 PM)

Raymond
Weather Guru

Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: WeatherNut]
      #83132 - Wed Aug 27 2008 04:48 PM

It´s a circular eye with an diameter of 16 nm, which is open to the west.
Current recon shows that it´s only a weak TS and it will take quite some time to recover.

Edited by Raymond (Wed Aug 27 2008 04:49 PM)

SeaMule
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Fairhope, Al...on the coast
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: Raymond]
      #83134 - Wed Aug 27 2008 04:56 PM

as slow as it is going..it's gonna have ample time to recover....

it will ramp up forward speed once the full effects of the high pressure system steering it take effect.

on a side note....there are (3) MORE interesting features....two remarkably close to Gustav....

this will be an interesting week or two.
Edited for content..CA, Moderator

Edited by Colleen A. (Thu Aug 28 2008 01:24 AM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
      #83138 - Wed Aug 27 2008 05:30 PM

The key to Gustav's future track is the projected development of a weakness in the subtropical ridge across the lower Mississippi valley over the next 2-3 days. Without this feature, Gustav would more than likely continue WNW toward upper Mexico or lower Texas; with this feature, it will likely be drawn NW toward the northern Gulf coast. The key will be where this feature sets up, assuming it does set up. Watch this closely over the next couple of days; no one along the Gulf coast is out of the threat zone with this one right now.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

zacros
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Johns Island, SC
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: Clark]
      #83139 - Wed Aug 27 2008 05:37 PM

It certainly looks like Gustav has been hindered by a combination of the slow movement of the storm over Haiti, the terrain in the area, and the ULL digging in NE of the storm. I'm not sure what else would have caused this weakening. Given the weakened state of the storm, is it possible for the center to relocate under the storms on the SE side of the system? Or, does a tropical storm need to be even weaker for the center to relocate to a different area of the storm? It almost appears from some of the satellite imagery that this may be happening and that the center could try to move an area south of the peninsula that the storm just crossed. Of course, I have been working all day, so my eyes may simply be deceiving me.

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving Northwest [Re: zacros]
      #83143 - Wed Aug 27 2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

It certainly looks like Gustav has been hindered by a combination of the slow movement of the storm over Haiti, the terrain in the area, and the ULL digging in NE of the storm. I'm not sure what else would have caused this weakening. Given the weakened state of the storm, is it possible for the center to relocate under the storms on the SE side of the system? Or, does a tropical storm need to be even weaker for the center to relocate to a different area of the storm? It almost appears from some of the satellite imagery that this may be happening and that the center could try to move an area south of the peninsula that the storm just crossed. Of course, I have been working all day, so my eyes may simply be deceiving me.

You have a good grasp on the factors behind its weakening. It is possible for the center to relocate underneath the convection -- and to continually do so while it remains weak -- but not necessarily a given.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
previously-currently [Re: Clark]
      #83154 - Wed Aug 27 2008 08:32 PM

had a pretty atrocious tendency to overestimate what fay was capable of. fay was the ultimate 'huggy storm'. it just never could stop abusing itself with land interaction enough to go into a serious deepening phase. not that it's any consolation to all the folks who got flooded out by the storm. the tornado count may even end up around fifty on this one.
hopefully gustav won't be as much of a forecasting difficulty. it looked a little more straightforward yesterday before the center got stuck on the lower peninsula of haiti and stayed mostly disconnected from low-level inflow. that shouldn't stay as much a factor for a whole lot longer... it isn't hard to envision the official forecast for the storm finally starting to take shape. an organized storm making a long arcing run across the middle of the gulf over labor day weekend usually delivers a massive impact wherever it goes. we can only hope that something will prevent this, but it has the look of a classic case.
away further east is that developing 95L system northeast of the leewards. most of the global guidance wants to feed it northward through a ridge gap. the quicker it develops the more likely this will happen, and it does look to be developing. NHC will probably start issuing advisories over the next couple of cycles. a few of the models prefer to block it and shove it westward under the ridge poised to set up over the eastern u.s. for the next few days... looks less likely at this point.
more action coming across from further east... wave/low nearing 15/35 has a nice curved signature but very little convection. it does seem like the saharan air layer is doing it's job.. but of course these waves can just develop further west, which in the long run makes them less apt to recurve. another wave is coming off. for the next three weeks this ought to persist, until the atlantic begins to transition into a fall configuration.
HF 0132z28august

javlin
Weather Master

Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #83162 - Wed Aug 27 2008 11:05 PM

Well it looks like Gustav might be moving W finally with a ball and chain attached to him and I would think the position is at least by IF2 at about 18.9N and 75.1W and little S of the NHC points.I would think also that as he strengthens again the UL steering may come more into play and the WNW track back to the NHC pts. are taken.It will be interesting to see how the 00Z models handle today and tonight.

Looks to still be getting sheared definitly see the center oou there at 18.8N and 75.5W now

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t1/loop-ir2.html

Edited by javlin (Wed Aug 27 2008 11:37 PM)

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving WSW [Re: javlin]
      #83166 - Thu Aug 28 2008 12:31 AM

He's doing much better now that he changed directions. Suppose that gave him a new perspective as well as a lease on life. He has had convection blowing up near his center and he moves off in the direction of warmer water.

Not sure how this will change the tracks much except for timing.

He really was blocked from going w or wnw by dry air that had filled in between cuba and Haiti.. he was trapped there, the only real way out was to go WSW. He has a chance now to organize more.

But he has to really build up a center as he had barely formed when he hit Haiti and he does not handle land as well as Fay did.

Keep watching, he's fighting tonight.

Curious on next run of tracks.

And, blown away by how little attention 95 is getting in all of the melodrama on what Gustav could be considering the models bend 95 back towards the states and where Gustav is small, 95 seems bigger.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving WSW [Re: LoisCane]
      #83167 - Thu Aug 28 2008 12:40 AM

short-term movement wont have much of a effect on model runs. Afterall some models did show a jog wsw for 12hrs or so (as noted by the NHC), Gustav would have to stall for 12hrs or more to have some kind of impact or head more south instead of wsw.

Raymond
Weather Guru

Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving WSW [Re: scottsvb]
      #83169 - Thu Aug 28 2008 03:05 AM

And it happened: Center reformed in the strongest convection to the south: 18 N, 75.3 W! Doesn´t seem to reach fully to the ground. So Gustav is on full collision track to Jamaica! Can´t believe, that it`ll survive this as a TS. For now it´s deepening: pressure has dropped to 995 hPa.

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving WSW [Re: Raymond]
      #83170 - Thu Aug 28 2008 03:19 AM

Well Gustav has the limelight, but FNMOC now have 95L as 08L so looks like another one to watch! Gustav is heading straight for Jamaica, and with what appears to be a reformation of the centre to the southeast of the previous position, the system looks likely to hit Jamaica as a strong Tropical Storm.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

cieldumort

Loc: Austin, Tx
Re: Tropical Storm Gustav Slowly Moving WSW [Re: Rich B]
      #83171 - Thu Aug 28 2008 04:31 AM

Early indications are that by the start of next week, Eight may actually get shoved to the west-southwest in response to the strengthening ridge. The Greater Antilles, Bahamas and Florida could all be in play again by the middle of next week, and perhaps sooner. With the large-scale atmospheric conditions that support tropical cyclogenesis and strengthening continuing to come together right on cue for entering what is now the climatological peak of what has already been a well-above average season so far, it has probably become somewhat reasonable to entertain even the more bullish model runs, and there has been no shortage of bullishness on both Gustav and now TD Eight. We'll likely get recon inside Eight soon, and then have some actual stats to compare those model runs against.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 18894

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center