F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2008 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Josephine Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land
      #83746 - Tue Sep 02 2008 07:57 AM

5:00AM EDT Update
Recon suggest that Hanna has performed a possible cyclonic loop and now a possible slow north turn. The Forecast Track remains about the same for now.

Tropical Storm Ike will likely be a forecasting problem. The NHC 1-2 day track looks good, after that there is much uncertainty.

Tropical Storm Josephine is maintaining for now. It is a bit stronger from the previous update/discussion.

3:56PM EDT Update
Hanna is still drifting around, recon recently found a pressure of 985 and near hurricane windspeed of 70MPH, so despite shear, Hanna is holding together well. Right now Hanna is drifting slightly, toward the southeast.

Models are not predicting a north or northwest motion until tomorrow afternoon.

Tropical Storm warnings are up for Haiti since it is gotten so close. The entire Southeast, and Florida needs to be closely watching Hanna, as it is forecast to come very close to the Florida East coast, any deviation westward would bring Hanna in as a Hurricane to Florida Thursday night or early Friday.

1:30PM Update
Tropical Storm Josephine forms from TD#10. Hanna's forecast track has moved west a bit, but still has landfall in the Carolinas, the current forecast track would now give some effects of Hanna to Central Florida overnight Thursday into Friday (Less if all the convection remains sheared to the south and east like it is now). And most of Florida is in the Cone.

Repeating the National Hurricane Center, it should be stressed that the expected angle of approach and track uncertainty make it impossible to narrow down the potential impact area of Hanna. Interest in the northwestern Bahamas, and along the entire southeastern United States coast should closely monitor the progress of Hanna.

Hurricane Warnings are up for the southern half of the Bahamas, but no watches currently exist for the US.

Ike still continues to move generally westward, with 60MPH winds.

Original Update
Extremely busy in the tropics this morning, Gustav has made landfall and is now inland bringing flooding rains. No reports of wide scale damage as of yet, but some reports may begin to filter in today. Many areas are out of power.

Now Weakened Tropical Storm Hanna is drifting west, the largest threat is toward the Carolinas, but parts of Florida and Georgia are still well within the cone. Hanna is drifting around right now, but is eventually expected to start generally moving North Northwest and pick up forward speed. Most likely Florida will encounter fringe effects from the system and larger than normal tides along the east coast, this could be more or less depending on how close Hanna gets to Florida. It remains worth watching. Those in North and South Carolina need to watch this the closest, however.

Hanna will likely weaken more today, as it is getting heavily sheared (as many Southward moving storms tend to do). Models predicted this, if Hanna Survives it has a chance to restrengthen later.

Tropical Storm Ike continues to move relatively quickly to the east, and we may have to deal with it next week. Those is the Bahamas will want to watch this weekend for it, and longer range models want to take it into north Cuba or through the Florida straits, but we have a while to watch it.

Tropical Depression Ten...now Tropical Storm Josephine formed this morning as well off the coast of Africa, it most likely will go out to sea, but some models are moving it more back westward. This will be a long track system, so plenty of time to watch it as well. It could form into Josephine as early as today.

Google Plot of Hanna, Ike, and TD#10 ( Add Gustav )

Emergency Management/County info
Gulf Coast Storm Alert Network
FloridaDisaster.org - Florida Emergency Management
Mississippi Emer. Management
State of Florida Division of Emergency Management/floridadisaster.org
Louisiana Emergency Management
Lousiana Evac Maps

Video/Audio Links/Webcams
NOAA Weather Radio out of New Orleans
Hurricane City - Live Audio and Video
HurricaneTrack/Mark Sudduth HIRT Team
The Storm Report Live Video Stream from Houma, LA
New Orleans Webcams
French Quarter Cam
Lake Ponchartrain Causeway
Metarie Webcam
Louisana Instacams
GregLeder Backyard webcam with battery backup
Maroonspoon multiple live coverage of Gustav New Orleans: WGNO, WWL, WDSU, WVUE (Mute individual ones to focus)
New Orleans Police Scanner (Req. Winamp)
Lousiana EM Radio Chatter
Multiple Webcams in Area from HurricaneCity

Louisiana DOT Traffic Cameras

Television/Radio
KATC In Lafayette, LA
WWL TV 4 (CBS Affiliate in New Orleans) HERE
ABC 26 TV (ABC Affiliate in New Orleans)
WDSU Channel 6 (NBC Affiliate New Orleans)
Fox 8 (New Orleans)
WTIX 690 News Radio
WWL 870 News Radio
Hurricane Now - Video reports from former CNN hurrican reporter Jeff Flock
Weathervine.com
WKRG 5 in Mobile/Pensacola
WPMI Channel 15 from Mobile

Other
NOLA - Everything New Orleans

-- Looking for more Video/Audio links for the approach areas, please let us know if you have any links/information!

Key West Long Range Radar with hint of Gustav

Storm Surge Risks with Gustav along Louisiana

Google Map Plot of Both Gustav and Hanna

Flhurricane Long Term Recording of Cuban radar mosaic
StormCarib Reports from the Caribbean Islands

Caribbean Weather Observations

Barbados Brohav Weather Fax

Full Caribbean Radar Composite

Caribbean Broadcast Corporation (TV/Radio from Antilles)

San Juan, PR NWS Page

Various Caribbean Radio Stations

DR1 Dominican Republic Hurricanes

New Orleans, LA Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)
Lake Charles, LA Radar Radar Loop (Latest Static)

Gustav Event Related Links

float7latest.gif stormplotthumb_7.gif

SFWMD Model Plot (Animated Model Plot) SFWMD Hurricane Page

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=7 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Gustav
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Gustav

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Gustav (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Gustav (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Gustav

Other Model Charts from Clark

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Gustav
More model runs on from RAL/Jonathan Vigh's page
NRL Info on Gustav -- RAMMB Info
COD Atlantic Satellite View

Caribbean Islands Weather Reports

Hanna Event Related Links

float8latest.gif stormplotthumb_8.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=8 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Hanna
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Hanna

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Hanna (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Hanna (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Hanna

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Hanna
NRL Info on Hanna -- RAMMB Info

Ike Event Related Links

float9latest.gif stormplotthumb_9.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=9 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of Ike
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of Ike

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of Ike (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of Ike (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of Ike

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for Ike
NRL Info on Ike -- RAMMB Info

TD#10 Event Related Links

float10latest.gif stormplotthumb_10.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=10 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of TD#10
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of TD#10

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of TD#10 (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of TD#10 (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of TD#10

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for TD#10
NRL Info on TD#10 -- RAMMB Info

90L Event Related Links

float11latest.gif stormplotthumb_11.gif

[https://flhurricane.com/floatanimator.php?year=2008&storm=11 Flhurricane Satellite Floater Animation of 90L
GOES Floater
Animated Skeetobite Model Plot of 90L

Clark Evans Track Model Plot of 90L (Animated!) Model Plots in Google Earth - In Google Maps
Clark Evans Intensity Model Plot of 90L (Animated!)

Clark Evans Track Plot of 90L

Clark Evans Top 10 Analog Storms for 90L
NRL Info on 90L -- RAMMB Info

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed Sep 03 2008 05:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
metwannabe
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: NC
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: MikeC]
      #83752 - Tue Sep 02 2008 08:47 AM

The combinaition of northerly shear, outflow from Gustav, and the possibly cooler SST due to upwelling of cooler waters are taking their toll on Hanna. Until the shear eases and she begins to move from the cooler waters Hanna could weaken more, although NHC does not forecast this, it is possible.

Of course too early to let gaurd down as Hanna has looked like this before and just when you think she has weakened convection fires near the center....time will tell and I think next 24 hours will be get better handle on her intensity and track.

--------------------
Fran, Bertha, Dennis & Floyd (Tag Team)

John C
Unregistered

Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: MikeC]
      #83754 - Tue Sep 02 2008 08:52 AM

Due to the forward motion of Ike and it's position forecast for Friday, and the slow moving Hanna position on Friday. What are the chances Ike will push Hanna more west during the week?

Or I guess it could also push it faster north as it approaches?

Also noted in Hanna forecast lounge.

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: metwannabe]
      #83756 - Tue Sep 02 2008 08:56 AM

It appears that Hanna may be interacting with the northeastern coast of Haiti...which may be why she has weakened a tad..she's hard to follow because she's not moving much.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: Colleen A.]
      #83758 - Tue Sep 02 2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

It appears that Hanna may be interacting with the northeastern coast of Haiti...which may be why she has weakened a tad..she's hard to follow because she's not moving much.

Hanna is still drifting pretty much westward, that shear is pushing a lot of convection south, however. It's going to be a "rough" day for Hanna. I'm still leaning toward it moving more northward than westward later, however. The latest GFDL run gets awfully close to East Florida, however and eventually into the Florida/Georgia border. With the shearing going on, If it does that, it probably just means more rain for Florida. Just need to watch it.

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
      #83759 - Tue Sep 02 2008 09:18 AM

Hanna's low level center is exposed right now and she is directly under where the official track has her starting her NW motion. It will be interesting to watch in the next few hours to see if the official track verifies. Look at the exhaust plume coming out of the center and shearing to the SE --fascinating--

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t2/loop-rgb.html

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

Raymond
Weather Guru

Loc: Germany
      #83760 - Tue Sep 02 2008 09:24 AM

@Colleen
No, the center of Hanna is just to the north of Great Inagua, It´s totally exposed and all convection only in the SE quadrant.. So it seems, that it´s interacting with Hispaniola, but it isn´t (much).

edit: Just look at Josephine (ex TD10 ). An eye-like feature has formed and it has all the features, that a (stronger) TS should have (banding; dense, strong convection and a forming eye)

Edited by Raymond (Tue Sep 02 2008 09:34 AM)

Random Chaos
Weather Analyst

Loc: Maryland
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: Raymond]
      #83761 - Tue Sep 02 2008 09:45 AM

I second this view (of TD #10). It's not in visible on GOES, so no floater yet. However, we did have an IR pass recently from another satellite.

Definitely looking like a TS or weak hurricane. I would be surprised if we don't see an upgrade at 11am. It's so far out at sea that they won't do a special alert upgrade; they only do those when storms are near land.

About 2 hours ago, a ship reported 1009mb pressure about 13nms from the TD 10.

Ref: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/radial_search.php?storm=at5

--

Hanna is looking anemic, though she's still trying to fire convection. A lot of shear affecting her.

--

Ike is looking very disorganized still, but he's got a lot of time to organize before land.

Edit - added ship data

Edited by Random Chaos (Tue Sep 02 2008 09:52 AM)

weathernet
Storm Tracker

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: ]
      #83762 - Tue Sep 02 2008 09:54 AM

No doubt, with the climactic degree of tropical cyclone development occuring, there likely is going to be even greater motion and steering uncertaintly created by other evolving tropical cyclones. At the risk of forum policy regarding "chat", I will address a good question regarding Ike's motion possibly impacting Hanna's. It is correct that an eastward approaching tropical cyclone ( depending on intensity and size ), would tend to act as a "rudder" and steer the more westward tropical cyclone in a more westward direction. This is due to the added cyclonic mid level flow accompanying it, however I do not believe such will be be the case with Ike and Hanna, and in this case the very strong progged height rises that are forecasted to steer Ike towards the west, are likely to be the eventual mechanism to sooner steer Hanna before Ike's influence would likely make it to Hanna's longitude. I'll share my own further thoughts however in the Forecast Lounge, if anyone would like to grab a cigar or glass of wine and join me there.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Florida
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: weathernet]
      #83763 - Tue Sep 02 2008 10:13 AM

I can't think when we have had a year where you can put all the cones together and so clearly see the Bermuda High
outlined so well.

Hanna could affect Ike a bit but considering forecast intensity for Ike to be stronger I would think it might affect 10 unless 10 pulls NW too soon.

A complex puzzle of tropical entities on the board now and think we will be studying this year in retrospect for years
to come.

Lounge sounds like a good place for lunch.

I still think Hanna is the messiest to forecast until she pulls it together more.

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

Patrick99

#83766 - Tue Sep 02 2008 10:37 AM

Hanna looks really bad right now; Gustav's outflow appears to be doing a number on her.

PFSThunder
Weather Watcher

Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: Patrick99]
      #83769 - Tue Sep 02 2008 10:49 AM

The NAVY site now has TD 10 as 10 NONAME. We have a TS now

--------------------
Go Boilermakers

craigm
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm City, Florida
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: LoisCane]
      #83770 - Tue Sep 02 2008 11:05 AM

Not sure how Hanna is going to survive this onslaught. This environment looks to be about as unfavorable for development as it gets:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/tatl/loop-wv.html

--------------------
Why I'm here:
Weather hobbyist

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged: Tue
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Josephine forms [Re: craigm]
      #83774 - Tue Sep 02 2008 11:20 AM

WTNT45 KNHC 021450
TCDAT5
TROPICAL STORM JOSEPHINE DISCUSSION NUMBER 2
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL102008
1100 AM EDT TUE SEP 02 2008

VISIBLE IMAGERY REVEALS AN INCREASE IN THE CYCLONE'S
ORGANIZATION...WITH VERY WELL-DEFINED CONVECTIVE BANDS AND EVEN A
DECEPTIVE CENTRAL FEATURE DISGUISED AS AN EYE. THE CONVECTIVE TOPS
ARE NOT EXCEPTIONALLY COLD IN THE INFRARED...BUT Dvorak INTENSITY
ESTIMATES ARE A CONSENSUS 35 KT...SO THE DEPRESSION IS UPGRADED TO
A TROPICAL STORM...THE TENTH OF THE 2008 ATLANTIC SEASON.

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: craigm]
      #83775 - Tue Sep 02 2008 11:22 AM

I was watching Joe Bastardi last night on FoxNews. I really dont know why they have him on there due to all his Wrong forecasts. I love Joe, so dont get me wrong, but he takes a system, makes a guess at where it may go, then hypecasts and guesscasts his forecast into meteorolgical terms that just dont make real sense. Like Fay, first he said Caronlinas, then Panhandle, then after crossing the state, back to Carolinas, then NE gulf towards Mobile as a hurricane. Then Gustav, Carolinas,Florida, then Central La-MX, then back to LA within 36hrs of obvious landfall. Hanna, Carolinas (like every storm he starts with almost) and says Hanna will be a Cat 4 to Bill O'rielly of Fox News, and stronger than Gustav and pressure under 950mb.
Again I love watching Joe, cause hes good entertainment, but I dont see how he can say that on national tv about a Cat 4 coming to the Carolinas (ForSure he says). I wouldnt of said that, but I would of said it could be from Florida-Caronlinas and we wont know forsure until it starts moving and we get better data in, could be a Cat 1-Cat3 but a 4 with under 950mb? Not impossible, but I would of held off on that. LOL.

Lee-Delray
Weather Master

Reged: Thu
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: craigm]
      #83777 - Tue Sep 02 2008 11:49 AM

I agree the water vapor loop makes it look like Hanna's getting beat up badly. I wouldn't count her out yet, she's in warm water . It also looks like Ike will get caught up with Hanna soon if she doesn't move. If nothing else, it looks like Ike will get some shear from Hanna?

Steve H1
Storm Tracker

Loc: Palm Bay FL USA
      #83778 - Tue Sep 02 2008 12:00 PM

12Z GFS has her just about on the east central Fl coast at 66 hours. Hana's convection is ramping up once again.

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: Steve H1]
      #83779 - Tue Sep 02 2008 12:13 PM

This has to be saved. The whole year's discussions should be saved.

"DECEPTIVE CENTRAL FEATURE DISGUISED AS AN EYE. THE CONVECTIVE TOPS"

Funny, I just clicked on visible and thought ...oh my goodness.. unreal. But, it just looks like a CDO.

Been the year of deceptive eye like features and sw movement.

Wouldn't write off Hanna, wouldn't call her a possible Cat 4 but after watching the evolution of Jeanne down in the same area looking like she was gasping her final breath... and then she bounced back I would not write off Hanna.
Especially as she has dealt with negative conditions almost her entire time on the maps from way before Invest status even.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jeanne_2004_track.png

So... hang on, relax and just watch all the pretty storms spin today and get ready tomorrow once we know for sure what will be track wise and intensity.

and I agree..she just had a blow up of convection very visible on visible within the last 30 minutes that was impressive.. see if it continues

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

native
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: SE Florida
Re: TD#10 Forms in East Atlantic, Hanna Slowly Drifting, Ike Moving, West, Gustav Over Land [Re: LoisCane]
      #83780 - Tue Sep 02 2008 12:50 PM

What I find interesting with Hanna is this:

The NHC's 5 day track (as of 11am) is the most eastern outlier.

Model outputs from WU website

I'm not saying anything one way or the other. I know these have and will continue to move until Hanna can get her act together a bit better. I just thought it was interesting.

My guess however is that NHC isn't going to tweek their track very much for now until they are more certain that the left (south) movement of the models is more of an actual trend.

This all ofcourse is dependent upon if she (Hanna) can even hold herself together until Gustav's outflow pulls up and away and what happens with that nice mass of dry air to her north.

As an aside, I know many times (especially with Gustav after he came off the coast of Cuba) there was lots of chatter on here about "I think it's east of the forecast path" "Is it me or does it seem to be wobbling more north" etc., etc.

But, alas, they (NHC) got it right yet again. Just goes to reitterate to us all not to focus on the points but the entire cone instead.

I personally think NHC has done a bang up job and have absolute confidence in them.

Edited by native (Tue Sep 02 2008 12:54 PM)

Raymond
Weather Guru

Loc: Germany
Big Surprise!!!-Center of Hannah totally reformed [Re: native]
      #83783 - Tue Sep 02 2008 02:19 PM

Thats a huge jump to the southeast to the area of the strongest convection!!!
Central pressure down to 985 hPA and max. surface winds up to 71 kt (may be a bit rain inflated, but the midsixties should be for sure).
Good to have recon!
I suppose, that perhaps the mid/upper-level circulation has been transported with the strongest convection and the new low level center has reformed beneath it. What we had seen on satpics earlier was the old low level center.
That`ll have consequences for the future track!

Edited by Raymond (Tue Sep 02 2008 02:26 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 27666

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center